PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrg. Get on the panic wagon, or wait?

Sticks
08-04-12, 05:11
For Xmas 2011 - I took the dive and built...err... assembled my first AR. PSA lower, Vltor upper w/Centurion barrel and rail, Vltor A5, and Magpul accessories. What I have been able to shoot it it's been reliable and accurate.

With all the election year hoopla going on, and the absolute lack of lowers available, I have been debating starting another assembly.

The problems I am dealing with -

1. I have not fired any of my weapons since April. 70+ hours a week at work, and no place to shoot. Ergo, whats the point in getting another rifle?

2. Lack of available components to do another assembly, let alone the ever rising prices.

3. Do an assembly, or buy a complete and then start replacing parts/components?

My initial plans were to go with a Centurion MK12 or DMR 18" upper (here comes another $2400 rifle :rolleyes: ), a decent lower, Giselle SSA, Vltor A5 w/ either a Magpul UBR or PRS (ok, maybe $3k rifle), and the usual accessories.

But with all the election year crap going on, buying an outright rifle would seem to be the better choice, and convert to DMR down the road.

All the usual quality manufactures are either out of stock, or a looooonnng ETA for availability on components. Starting to wish I had bought 2 or 3 PSA lowers when they were $50.

What say you respected members? Start getting components as they come available, buy outright, or wait until 2013 to see if the panic drive was much ado about nothing, and get what I need with the flooded market when the manufacturers get caught up?

I am confident my preferred local FFL can get me a complete DD, BCM, or Colt at a decent/fair market price. I just have personal issues with effectively buying a complete just to have a foundation to put the parts I want on it down the road.

Merle
08-04-12, 05:28
I haven't noticed a lack of lowers. My local gun stores have ample supply. Maybe it's a CO thing.

filthy phil
08-04-12, 07:13
get a colt 6920. you'll be glad you did.
i sure am

jesuvuah
08-04-12, 07:25
Well, chances are prices will continue to rise and supplies will continue to dwindle. So if you really want or need something I would suggest buying it. It will probably take some time for things to slow down in the gun market again. Heck they never really even leveled out after the last election.

seb5
08-04-12, 08:55
By searching the net I haven't seen any lack of anything, prices are another issue. If you're concerned about having a 2nd rifle why wouldn't you just buy a quality carbine and worry about the oorah parts at a later date? it would save a bunch of money as well.

Guns-up.50
08-04-12, 09:24
If you are super concerned just buy spare parts for your current AR and then spend the rest on ammo.. I feel as if they wont take guns but the ammo is their true target.

skyugo
08-04-12, 10:27
If you are super concerned just buy spare parts for your current AR and then spend the rest on ammo.. I feel as if they wont take guns but the ammo is their true target.

I'm planning to buy a case of primers because last election primers were sold out everywhere for months. and then the price never dropped to pre-election prices.

I'm pretty set on mags... i've got a nice AR (just needs a few little things.... don't they all?) several solid carry guns. piles of glock mags.

sorta tempted to sell off my p-mags on TOS for 50 bucks a pop once we renew our mistake in washington....

Biggy
08-04-12, 13:08
I imagine the closer we get to the election, the poles numbers will drive up the ammo and mag speculators buying, which will drive the demand and prices upward. I think ammo and its components will be even more key in the future, so it is probably wise to get more or extra stuff now rather than wait, IMO.

SOWT
08-04-12, 13:36
Back from the Saxet Gunshow today.
My main parts guy (GDS for those interested) isn't getting lots of upper parts, matter of fact, he only had about 6 barrels.
Told me his suppliers were overcharging on barrels, and it was cheaper for him to buy complete uppers.
He also believes the prices will go up until Feb (assumes a Romney win) or really skyrocket in Dec (assumes a Nobama win).

For me. I need a barrel and stock, but have to wait a month.

The_War_Wagon
08-04-12, 13:46
Beta C-Mag. Ya' GOTTA get one of THOSE before Obama bans it! :D

Brahmzy
08-04-12, 14:01
Might be good to have some spare lowers, eh? -Depending on what might get banned, of course.

The date of manufacture of a lower, I think, would be the concern. If they pull something dumb like no collapsables stocks or threaded muzzles, I would think it'd be based on the date of the lower. Or am I off base?

I Form 1'd 3 lowers just in case, LOL. NFA shouldn't be affected, but I don't want to take any chances. Obviously, hi-cap mags would be tied to date of purchase.

Guns-up.50
08-04-12, 17:33
I'm planning to buy a case of primers because last election primers were sold out everywhere for months. and then the price never dropped to pre-election prices.

I'm pretty set on mags... i've got a nice AR (just needs a few little things.... don't they all?) several solid carry guns. piles of glock mags.

sorta tempted to sell off my p-mags on TOS for 50 bucks a pop once we renew our mistake in washington....

yep I remember the 1st ele, m&p 15s were 1250 for total stock guns:confused:
I hope "we" have learned our election lesson but either way prices will rise, the fear/ market is high the prices will be too.