PDA

View Full Version : 5th Element is the most adventurous movie of all time...

Belmont31R
08-05-12, 00:11
Prove me wrong....

So many things going on. So many characters.

Can't think of any other movie that has so much going on from one scene to the next, and how all these scenes play into each other. 5th Element is all all by itself it when comes to characters, and plot.

For context this movie came out when "retro" first started kicking off, and we're still in this grasp of rehashing everything. The big movie this weekend it Total Recall, and the last 10 years is all retro this and that. I think 5th Element still stands out as a movie which nothing has touched before or after.

Reagans Rascals
08-05-12, 00:17
Prove me wrong....

Can't think of any other movie that has so much going on from one scene to the next, and how all these scenes play into each other. 5th Element is all all by itself it when comes to characters, and plot.

For context this movie came out when "retro" first started kicking off, and we're still in this grasp of rehashing everything. The big movie this weekend it Total Recall, and the last 10 years is all retro this and that. I think 5th Element still stands out as a movie which nothing has touched before or after.

Terminator 2 in my book.... I wish I was old enough to have seen it in theaters when it came out... to me there is nothing that comes close nowadays.... and hasn't been for some time... movies like that are game changers...

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-05-12, 00:31
Prove me wrong....

Have you been drinking?

Belmont31R
08-05-12, 00:33
Terminator 2 in my book.... I wish I was old enough to have seen it in theaters when it came out... to me there is nothing that comes close nowadays.... and hasn't been for some time... movies like that are game changers...

A tough challenger. But I don't think T2 has the same change of characters from one scene to the next, and the variety of images you are presented in 5th Element. Not to mention there have been 2 movies so far after T2 which both sucked, and nothing after 5th Element. I don't think it can be topped as far as adventure into the mind while still maintaining a plot and connecting everything together.

Belmont31R
08-05-12, 00:44
Have you been drinking?

Eh its either a movie you get or don't. I look at it as nothing else has be done which comes close or has such a variety of characters. I like to be entertained, and not the usual.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-05-12, 00:58
Eh its either a movie you get or don't. I look at it as nothing else has be done which comes close or has such a variety of characters. I like to be entertained, and not the usual.

That's not a 'No'.....

5th Element definately has a different vibe to it and I didn't like it much the first time, but it grows on you, kind of like "Heathers" or Cincinnati Chili or fungus.

Belmont31R
08-05-12, 01:06
That's not a 'No'.....

5th Element definately has a different vibe to it and I didn't like it much the first time, but it grows on you, kind of like "Heathers" or Cincinnati Chili or fungus.

Lol that just support my theory there is nothing else like it. You can equate it to fungus but thats why I said "most adventurous".

Brahmzy
08-05-12, 01:10
Good flick - will always be in my "owned" collection.

BD did it some justice, too.

a0cake
08-05-12, 01:21
I'm with you that movies should be adventurous and out of the ordinary. If I want to get social commentary, learn something, or consider real-world circumstances, I'll read a book. I like movies that are about things I couldn't actually experience.

Anyway, I haven't seen 5th Element in years and forget every single thing about it except for Mila Jovovich with orange hair being wrapped up in that tape-outfit. I'll have to watch it again.

Urabus23
08-05-12, 01:21
Bzzzzzzzzzzzt!!! Ruby Rhod FTW!

Moose-Knuckle
08-05-12, 02:23
I love that film but I can't say that it is the most 'adventurous'. . .

drrufo
08-05-12, 02:29
Boom....Big Boom

1911pro
08-05-12, 02:38
Prove me wrong....

Total Recall was based on the Philip K. Dick book called" We can remember It for You Wholesale.

Blade Runner which is based on Dick's book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

Minorty Report based on Dick's book "The Minority Report."

5th Element was a good movie, but in my opinion not as good as these.

Honu
08-05-12, 03:17
whats funny is Luc Besson married the Lafemme Nakita girl and also Milla

so he got to marry two of his hottest stars from two of his biggest movies !

Spiffums
08-05-12, 04:18
What about that lil red button on the bottom of the gun.

Anything were Gary Oldman is the "bad guy" is hella good!

feedramp
08-05-12, 08:43
Multipass

halo2304
08-05-12, 09:05
What about that lil red button on the bottom of the gun.

Anything were Gary Oldman is the "bad guy" is hella good!

Gary Oldman always plays a great bad guy! 5th Element and Leon the Professional are probably my favorite movies with him as the bad guy.

NoveskeFan
08-05-12, 09:41
I liked 5th Element. It had fighting and explosions, Milla Jovovich, aliens, a good story...Milla Jovovich:D I have always liked science fiction, though. The movie that really blew me away was The Matrix. It came out my senior year and really helped open my eyes to the real world of political control and sheep. I would have been fine if they didn't make the sequels and just left it with Neo flying away :neo:

Waylander
08-05-12, 10:02
Prove me wrong....

Much better movie than most of Ahnold's movies hands down but T2 was good. They can't really be put in the same class. I just saw 5th Element a few weeks ago and thought it was awesome with some cool concepts and funny.

I saw it in the theater when I was about 14 or 15 and it was awesome! Hard to compare the two though.

If you want to see some nice footage of Milla watch the movie "Stone" with Ed Norton. It's kind of a lame movie except for the topless shots :D

ashooter
08-05-12, 12:06
...forget every single thing about it except for Mila Jovovich with orange hair being wrapped up in that tape-outfit. I'll have to watch it again.

:D
Yep. Mila is the one thing about that movie that has made me watch it more than once.

SteyrAUG
08-05-12, 13:56
Blade Runner.

Star Wars

Sensei
08-05-12, 14:16
Blade Runner.

Star Wars

Those are probably the 2 best SiFi movies of the late 70's and early 80's. I might add T1 as another game changer for that era.

When it comes to the 90's, T2 and The Matrix redefined the technology of movie production. They also had better actors (Oldman is a stud but Chris Tucker is obnoxious), soundtracks, and story lines. The 5th Element was not even in my top 10 of the 90's. I'd say that 12 Monkeys was better BW production than the 5th Element.

glocktogo
08-05-12, 16:17
I think what makes The 5th Element so good is Luc Besson. Let's break it down:

Le Femme Nikita
Point Of No Return
The Professional
The 5th Element
The Transporter series
Revolver
Taken series
Columbiana

If he's got something to do with it, chances are it will be pretty good. Same with Michael Mann, I'll always check out his flicks too.

An Undocumented Worker
08-05-12, 18:08
Multi Pass!

Mooooooollllltiiiiiii Paaaaaaaaaass.

glocktogo
08-05-12, 19:21
Multi Pass!

Mooooooollllltiiiiiii Paaaaaaaaaass.

Yeah, yeah, she knows it's a Multi-Pass! :D

LHS
08-05-12, 19:28
Cheee-ken?

CarlosDJackal
08-05-12, 19:40
I agree!!

http://images1.fanpop.com/images/photos/1700000/Leeloo-the-fifth-element-1742829-360-339.jpg

Endur
08-05-12, 19:57
One of my favorite Willis movies of all times. Wish they had made more. Not to mention Mila is in my top 10 and I am not a big fan of real skinny women.

C4IGrant
08-05-12, 20:16
Is an excellent movie and is one of my wife's favs.

c4

SteyrAUG
08-05-12, 23:17
The 5th Element was not even in my top 10 of the 90's. I'd say that 12 Monkeys was better BW production than the 5th Element.

It was an interesting and good film, but I'd have to agree with your assessment. I actually liked Milla better in Resident Evil, a film I expected to hate due to previews but ended up liking very much.

I'd class 5th Element with films like THX 1138, 1984, Logan's Run and Screamers. Very imaginative ideas about the future, well executed in spite of their budget constraints but not even close to films like Blade Runner, Star Wars, The Terminator or the first two Alien films.

Bowser
08-06-12, 01:16
http://i.imgur.com/3eiLc.jpg

RogerinTPA
08-06-12, 07:07
It was an interesting and good film, but I'd have to agree with your assessment. I actually liked Milla better in Resident Evil, a film I expected to hate due to previews but ended up liking very much.

I'd class 5th Element with films like THX 1138, 1984, Logan's Run and Screamers. Very imaginative ideas about the future, well executed in spite of their budget constraints but not even close to films like Blade Runner, Star Wars, The Terminator or the first two Alien films.

Agreed. Personally, I thought Raider's of the Lost Ark had more adventure that the 5th Element, despite Milla.

SMETNA
08-06-12, 08:34
+1 for The Matrix

That movie did everything right. I hope the wachowskis aren't done with the franchise. A prequel or two would be epic

JSantoro
08-06-12, 08:36
Multi Pass!

I had a co-worker that would mutter "Leeloo Dallas, Multi-Pass..." under his breath every time he swiped his key-card to access our facility or swipe his credit-debit card.

Completely denied it when asked "Dude, WTF...?" Like somebody that snores....vehemently denying that they snore, despite 5 dozen other people telling them they do.

I'm thankful to that movie for the 2.5 years of pranks we were able to pull on that whack-job. :p

Doc Safari
08-06-12, 09:39
I'd put Brazil or A Clockwork Orange above Fifth Element as "adventurous."

Funny what appeals to people. I was one of those kids that saw the original Star Wars (now episode 4), and as soon as the movie finished got back in line to see it again. Now I can't even stand to hear Star Wars discussed.

I grew up thinking 2001: A Space Odyssey was boring. Now I think it may be the only sci-fi film that matters.

And no matter what jokes people make about fifties sci-fi flicks, I have never waivered from believing that the 1953 War of the Worlds with those snake-necked war machines is still better than 99.99% of sci-fi films made since.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j459/globalpicguy/WarOfTheWorlds_370.jpg

Waylander
08-06-12, 09:42
Blade Runner.

Star Wars

Those are probably the 2 best SiFi movies of the late 70's and early 80's. I might add T1 as another game changer for that era.

When it comes to the 90's, T2 and The Matrix redefined the technology of movie production. They also had better actors (Oldman is a stud but Chris Tucker is obnoxious), soundtracks, and story lines. The 5th Element was not even in my top 10 of the 90's. I'd say that 12 Monkeys was better BW production than the 5th Element.

I don't think Belmont is saying it's the best sci-fi movie of all time.

Bladerunner, Alien(s), Star Wars, T1/2, The Matrix...sure they're all good, groundbreaking sci-fi movies but they don't pack the entertainment density of this movie. There are probably at least one or two points in each of those movies where the plot dragged agonizingly slowly and they are long, sometimes painful to sit through a second time.

In 5th, the only yawners were a few of the Chris Tucker scenes which they wore out IMO. Creating an interesting, sensible plot line is hard enough without adding almost constant comedic value. Have you ever seen a film so over the top that didn't annoy the living crap out of you?

I think that's the point..it really never takes itself seriously and to have been written by a teenager, it translated well to film. Going in you know in it isn't a Matrix or Alien. Still it's some of the funniest and entertaining stuff I've seen from 90% of the starring actors, especially Willis, Oldman, Holm, and his bumbling sidekick. It's actually good to see a movie break out from the usual mold of a sci-fi flick.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-06-12, 09:47
Forbidden Planet - prime for a remake, but the best old sci-fi movie out there.

Kick-Ass and Pulp Fiction: Such substantially different movies than what was currently being offered. Kick-Ass doesn't stand the test of time as well as Pulp Fiction, but the first time I saw KA I was like "this is something different...."

"I want a puppy. I'm just ****in' with you daddy. I want a Benchmade Balisong..."

sandman99and9
08-06-12, 10:14
I loved the 5th element !! I laughed so hard and lots of cool characters. Gary Oldman is a smooth bad ass !!!

For me the movies that really hit me and made me say whoa were some of my favorite all time movies.

Star Wars- saw it when I was a kid ( Empire strikes back is my fav )

Aliens- I love the characters and so much action

Terminator 2- The special effects were so amazing

The Matrix- again simply incredible effects and a great story. The lobby fight scene has to be one of the best ever !!

Any trekkies in here ? KAAAHHHHHNNNNNNN !!!!!!!!!!

S.M.

I loved blade runner and 2001 both great films.

Magic_Salad0892
08-06-12, 10:46
I'd like to contribute three things to this thread.

1 - The Resident Evil movie series sucked serious ass.

2 - The Dark Knight Rises actually meets Steyr's criteria in his first post.

3 - http://www.80stees.com/products/The-Fifth-Element-Shirt.asp?utm_source=goog-merch&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=FELM002&gclid=CMLWsfmr07ECFa0FRQod2xMAHQ

warpigM-4
08-06-12, 11:44
what about the Blue creepy tentacle Opera singer I loved the dog face looking soldiers too a fun movie start to finish and MILA!!!!!!!!

CarlosDJackal
08-06-12, 11:54
I also think that it had one of the best Chris Tucker characters in any movie. I also liked that Zorg character.

The_War_Wagon
08-06-12, 12:37
I'll take Bladerunner for the win. :cool:

And I DID see it in the theater.

SteyrAUG
08-06-12, 12:53

Funny what appeals to people. I was one of those kids that saw the original Star Wars (now episode 4), and as soon as the movie finished got back in line to see it again. Now I can't even stand to hear Star Wars discussed.

I grew up thinking 2001: A Space Odyssey was boring. Now I think it may be the only sci-fi film that matters.

And no matter what jokes people make about fifties sci-fi flicks, I have never waivered from believing that the 1953 War of the Worlds with those snake-necked war machines is still better than 99.99% of sci-fi films made since.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j459/globalpicguy/WarOfTheWorlds_370.jpg

The Day The Earth Stood Still, and I don't mean the remake.

Lot's of excellent sci fi from the 50s. Without "Planet of the Vampires" there would be no Alien.

Cincinnatus
08-06-12, 12:59
I also am a fan of 5th Element, but like RogerinPA, I think Indiana Jones (Raiders and Temple of Doom) more adventurous, also Starwars.
Another movie of high adventure would be the original Conan the Barbarian.
I also like the characters and banter in The Princess Bride.
A recent movie of good adventure content would be the remake of The Count of Monte Cristo.
I suppose it all depends on how one defines adventure--The Adventures of Baron Munchausen would also qualify as very adventurous with much going on. Some anime movies like Ninja Scroll are extremely well done, with a great deal going on. And let us not forget Dark Chrystal and Labyrinth, though I would not put them in the same class as Starwars or Indiana Jones.

SteyrAUG
08-06-12, 13:00
I don't think Belmont is saying it's the best sci-fi movie of all time.

Bladerunner, Alien(s), Star Wars, T1/2, The Matrix...sure they're all good, groundbreaking sci-fi movies but they don't pack the entertainment density of this movie. There are probably at least one or two points in each of those movies where the plot dragged agonizingly slowly and they are long, sometimes painful to sit through a second time.

In 5th, the only yawners were a few of the Chris Tucker scenes which they wore out IMO. Creating an interesting, sensible plot line is hard enough without adding almost constant comedic value. Have you ever seen a film so over the top that didn't annoy the living crap out of you?

I think that's the point..it really never takes itself seriously and to have been written by a teenager, it translated well to film. Going in you know in it isn't a Matrix or Alien. Still it's some of the funniest and entertaining stuff I've seen from 90% of the starring actors, especially Willis, Oldman, Holm, and his bumbling sidekick. It's actually good to see a movie break out from the usual mold of a sci-fi flick.

And that is what I assumed as well. That by adventurous he meant "dare to be different."

And Blade Runner was different in a way that no film has been before or since.

Star Wars also took several dramatic leaps and not just in the special effects department. It floored us out of the box with the notion that the futuristic story actually happened long ago. This idea of Eternal Return would later be the basis for Battlestar Galactica (especially the second TV series).

It also gave us a "dirty" and "used" futuristic looking past. Prior to that all technologically advanced cultures (because it wasn't the future) were all polished chrome, bright lights and not a single thing out of place. A lot like how movies from the 40s and 50s imagined life would be in the 80s and 90s.

Doc Safari
08-06-12, 13:04
Forbidden Planet - prime for a remake, but the best old sci-fi movie out there.

I always thought the original Star Trek series borrowed heavily from Forbidden Planet. Just the whole concept of a "navy ship" in outer space on a scientific mission with a very thought-provoking story just wasn't done in those days. Mostly it was Flash Gordon type stuff or some type of alien invasion back then.

SteyrAUG
08-06-12, 13:05
1 - The Resident Evil movie series sucked serious ass.

I can easily see how somebody would hate this film. I intended to hate it.

What saved it for me was when I watched it for the first time I had no idea it was going to be a zombie movie. And as zombie movies go it was far more interesting in the underground complex environment than simply having dead people wandering around in the cities again.

Could have been much, much better of course - but I didn't hate it.

Cincinnatus
08-06-12, 13:14
I always thought the original Star Trek series borrowed heavily from Forbidden Planet. Just the whole concept of a "navy ship" in outer space on a scientific mission with a very thought-provoking story just wasn't done in those days. Mostly it was Flash Gordon type stuff or some type of alien invasion back then.

Have you ever gone back and watched the pilot of the original Startrek? It's before Captain Kirk. It is actually a suprisingly philosophical and sophisticated in its plot and themes, much like the Ray Bradbury era of sci-fi stories. It is not "hard sci-fi" technologically, but it is much deeper than the series became later with some of the infamously less-cerebral episodes "tirbbles", the little colored fur-balls come to mind as an example.

Doc Safari
08-06-12, 13:19
Have you ever gone back and watched the pilot of the original Startrek? It's before Captain Kirk. It is actually a suprisingly philosophical and sophisticated in its plot and themes, much like the Ray Bradbury era of sci-fi stories.

Yes, that's what I mean. Watch Forbidden Planet, then watch the original pilot to Star Trek. I'm not saying there is outright plagiarism, but you can sort of tell where they got their influence just like you can tell that the original Battlestar Galactica borrowed heavily from Star Wars.

SteyrAUG
08-06-12, 13:25
I also don't think we can overlook the importance of Caroline Munro in "Starcrash."

http://www.classichorrorcampaign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/carolinemunro-starcrash-04.06.12.jpg

http://www.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2005/08/30560955-30560958-large.jpg

Doc Safari
08-06-12, 13:28
I also don't think we can overlook the importance of Caroline Munro in "Starcrash."

http://www.classichorrorcampaign.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/carolinemunro-starcrash-04.06.12.jpg

http://www.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2005/08/30560955-30560958-large.jpg

Thank you for posting that. I was tempted to compare 'Starcrash' to 'The Fifth Element' but decided that not many people had probably ever seen 'Starcrash'.

You need to also check out Caroline Munro in 'The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.'

SteyrAUG
08-06-12, 13:57
You need to also check out Caroline Munro in 'The Golden Voyage of Sinbad.'

I have everything she ever did on DVD already. My favorite is Captain Kronus. But she was definitely hot in Sinbad.

Doc Safari
08-06-12, 14:02
I have everything she ever did on DVD already. My favorite is Captain Kronus.

Hmmmm.... Never heard of that one.

SteyrAUG
08-06-12, 14:30
Hmmmm.... Never heard of that one.

Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071276/)

Magic_Salad0892
08-06-12, 15:33
I can easily see how somebody would hate this film. I intended to hate it.

What saved it for me was when I watched it for the first time I had no idea it was going to be a zombie movie. And as zombie movies go it was far more interesting in the underground complex environment than simply having dead people wandering around in the cities again.

Could have been much, much better of course - but I didn't hate it.

As kid/teen I played through all the games, and even though I hated the games, they were at least fun, and funnier than shit to make fun of. Like an 80's B action flick.

The movies didn't even TRY to follow the story.

However, I'm still not as mad about that as I am the atrocious Silent Hill flick.

Those games were ****ing badass, and the movie was ****in' horrendous.

Doc Safari
08-06-12, 15:37
Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter (1974) (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071276/)

How was Dracula AD 1972?

Magic_Salad0892
08-06-12, 15:41
How was Dracula AD 1972?

Ever seen Blackula?

Doc Safari
08-06-12, 15:42
Ever seen Blackula?

No I haven't.

SteyrAUG
08-06-12, 16:38
How was Dracula AD 1972?

I am biased in that I love Hammer films. Certainly wasn't anywhere near Prince of Darkness, but having the Count in a contemporary setting (horrible as the 70s were) was at least better than killing him "again"...and having him resurrected "again."

sandman99and9
08-06-12, 16:39
Hahaha, Blade runner is on sci-fy right now and the 5th element comes on right after that :)

S.M.

Doc Safari
08-06-12, 16:44
I am biased in that I love Hammer films. Certainly wasn't anywhere near Prince of Darkness, but having the Count in a contemporary setting (horrible as the 70s were) was at least better than killing him "again"...and having him resurrected "again."

Mmmmm....not what I meant. To cut to the chase, does Caroline Munro show off the puppies quite a bit in this one? :D

(Man, we've hijacked this thread to Cuba). :D

Moose-Knuckle
08-06-12, 16:50

I'm glad you mentioned Brazil as I feel Terry Gilliam might just be the most 'adventurous' film maker to date. Thanks to my father who was a teen during the 50's I have a healthy appreciation for classic sci-fi. He still has boxes and boxes of old sci-fi novels he got from a book club in his youth.

Can't tell you how many times I watched 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' (1951), 'The War of the Worlds' (1953), and 'Forbidden Planet' (1956) growing up.

And I agree, the older I get the more I feel '2001: A Space Odyssey' is the most important sci-fi film ever made but have to say that 'Blade Runner' is my all time personal favorite.

SteyrAUG
08-06-12, 17:00
Mmmmm....not what I meant. To cut to the chase, does Caroline Munro show off the puppies quite a bit in this one? :D

(Man, we've hijacked this thread to Cuba). :D

Not really and she had a small part. Sadly Munro never really broke out the goods in any film. Despite being perfect for the role she turned down the opportunity to do Vampirella for Hammer as it required nudity.

For T&A Sinbad and Starcrash are her biggest skin roles. But she was really hot in Capt. Kronus.

Doc Safari
08-06-12, 17:06
Despite being perfect for the role she turned down the opportunity to do Vampirella for Hammer as it required nudity.

I remember the crushing disappointment I felt when I found out that movie was a No-Go.

I remember seeing her as a helicopter pilot in one James Bond movie after that...then nothing.

Back on topic, as far as "adventurous" movies go, I'd have to put Army of Darkness in the same category as the Fifth Element: sort of sci-fi, sort of campy, sort of deliberately silly.

"Klaatu.....Barada....(cough cough)"....(forgets the third word)

"Klaatu Barada Nikto" was the command Patricia Neal was to give Gort the robot in The Day the Earth Stood Still to prevent him from destroying the earth.

In the book, Gort was named Gnut if I remember right.

SteyrAUG
08-06-12, 17:12
I remember the crushing disappointment I felt when I found out that movie was a No-Go.

I'm assuming you have seen the Hammer Karnstein trilogy: The Vampire Lovers, Lust for a Vampire and Twins of Evil.

It is the holy trinity of naked female vampire films.

Doc Safari
08-06-12, 17:17
I'm assuming you have seen the Hammer Karnstein trilogy: The Vampire Lovers, Lust for a Vampire and Twins of Evil.

It is the holy trinity of naked female vampire films.

Actually, I've never even seen any of the Hammer films. The only thing that made me curious in those days was the fact that I was really, really underage and movies like that were sort of "softcore" porn and just enough skin to make your parents mad if they caught you watching it. I had copies of a magazine called "Castle of Frankenstein" or something that was trying to rival "Famous Monsters of Filmland", but they tried to post some of the racier photos IIRC.

I think I'm remembering that correctly. I remember hiding those mags like a teen would hide his Playboys. :D

PA PATRIOT
08-06-12, 18:09
Mila Jovovich is the only reason to watch the 5th Element as I wouldn't mind Batta Booming her a few times.

SteyrAUG
08-06-12, 20:33
Actually, I've never even seen any of the Hammer films.

You're missing out on a lot. Hammer contributed much to the vampire mythology so if you are into the films enough to be knowledgeable about "Famous Monsters of Filmland" you'd probably really enjoy them.

I'm personally a slightly bigger fan of the Universal originals, but that's probably nostalgia.

Start with the 1958 Dracula and all the sequels.

Pork Chop
08-07-12, 08:21

I remember seeing her as a helicopter pilot in one James Bond movie after that...then nothing.

Back on topic, as far as "adventurous" movies go, I'd have to put Army of Darkness in the same category as the Fifth Element: sort of sci-fi, sort of campy, sort of deliberately silly.

"Klaatu.....Barada....(cough cough)"....(forgets the third word)

"Klaatu Barada Nikto" was the command Patricia Neal was to give Gort the robot in The Day the Earth Stood Still to prevent him from destroying the earth.

In the book, Gort was named Gnut if I remember right.

Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! You see this? This.........is my BOOMSTICK! :haha:

I shouldn't admit this publicly, but I loved that movie. I remember taking my girlfriend to a midnight premier when it first hit theatres.........good times.

Zhurdan
08-07-12, 09:01
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up! You see this? This.........is my BOOMSTICK! :haha:

I shouldn't admit this publicly, but I loved that movie. I remember taking my girlfriend to a midnight premier when it first hit theatres.........good times.

Love that movie! He's also 3/4 of the reason I consistently watch Burn Notice.

VA_Dinger
08-09-12, 10:42
5th Element

My absolute favorite SiFi movie of all time.

:D

Belmont31R
08-09-12, 18:13
Blade Runner.

Star Wars

I've never been able to watch more than 20 minutes of Blade Runner. I read the book, and liked it a lot. Same with Fahrenheit 451. Both way better books than movies.

And I guess I should clarify when I say adventurous because when I grew up, and BlockBuster was where we got all our movies from there were a lot more categories of movies. I'd classify the Terminator series as "action" movies. Adventure is kinda out of this world but isn't full of "sci-fy". Of course there are overlapping things...but I don't think Star Wars was adventure...totally sci-fy sense sci-fy was the theme of the movie. Maybe its just me but I don't classify them the same.

To me adventure is out of this world yet people still have earthly problems. Thats what 5th Element was. Star Wars has out of this world problems. and thus is sci-fy. Especially if you read the Star Wars books there are little "earthly" problems. I have a pile of Star Wars books on my desk well north of a foot high.

ETA: I should clarify the Terminator movies (1&2) because the "out of this world" part was a very small part of the actual length of the movie. Yes the terminators came from out of this world but the majority of the problem was on this world. They are still very good, and I have both T1 and T2 on Blu-Ray. I just think of them as action movies.