PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else use Shooter Ready?

a0cake
08-05-12, 03:14
Haven't been able to shoot much lately with a really busy schedule, so I've been scratching the itch and keeping my head in the game a bit by using Shooter Ready. It's pretty good, but ranging is a bit of the pain in the ass. Sometimes it's hard to see.

For example, I ranged the following target at 813m. The grey portion of the target is 32'' in height, and I measured it at dead on 1 MIL:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/shooterreadywtf.jpg

But NOPE, it's at 786m, so it apparently measures 1.033 MILS. So my adjustment was 0.4 MILS off. :angry:

I try to make headshots only in the simulation, so I obviously missed. In real life the "error" wouldn't have mattered all that much, as I'd be aiming dead-center, especially if I wasn't 100% sure on range. But GD if it doesn't piss me off a little bit anyway, and it just goes to show you that if you're going for uber-precise shot placement, measuring down to 0.1 MILS is necessary, and sometimes that isn't even enough. That's what LRF's are for. :D

Anyway, the only real reason I'm posting this is as an FYI in case anyone is interested in simulation software and hasn't heard of Shooter Ready. Overall I'd recommended it for keeping basic thinking skills sharp.

orkan
08-05-12, 09:13
Ever since the owner falsely accused me of copyright infringement, I never recommend it to ANYONE. I believe she's batshit crazy.

I ordered 30 of them or so, and the majority of them were to go to troops that were about to get shipped to afghanistan. I called her one too many times to make sure they would get here on time, and she decided to cancel my order for me, and send my check back.

So, I called up a friend that got setup as a dealer, and ordered them from him. She went ****n ballistic. How dare I sell her product without her permission!?!?!?! lol

She tried to stick it to about 20 army guys by breaknig on her agreement to send me her shit. ... and then slandered me all over the internet as a thief (copyright infringement) when I tried to follow through on MY promise to them. She called me up and went nuts on the phone... telling me about how she didn't take this crap from her ex-husband, and she wasn't going to take any from me.

The fact that she was divorced wasn't really a surprise to me at that point.

She can die in a fire for all I care. If someone wants to use it, there are plenty of places to get it without paying for it. I certainly advocate that people use it without paying her!

Here's the original thread, if you want some entertainment.
http://www.primalrights.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=873

WillC
08-05-12, 09:19
That is very cool.

I will have to give it a try, thanks for the heads up.
It would be nice if they could add the Nightforce reticals.

-didn't see the above before posting ...

BrigandTwoFour
08-05-12, 12:44
I've spent a lot of rainy days tinkering with the free parts of that site- and gotten very good at it.

Still, though, being good at the theory involved in that program didn't translate too well for me at my local long range. I get the theory, it's the method I've still got to work on.

a0cake
08-05-12, 12:51
Damnit orkan. At first I was all:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXOBSsB51ni5tzpPI8TKKckSX14Td1NZukbgZTocE60xGfijbzBEQ58JYz

But now I'm all:

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/063/Picture_2_c.jpg

I should have researched more before I made some witch $45 richer.

taliv
08-05-12, 17:12
i was unaware of any drama surrounding them. i bought the original version which was flash-based about... oh, i dunno... 10 years ago?

it was an excellent resource for learning mil-dots back then. apparently it's a lot better now. as for wind and whatnot, it's better than nothing but it sure doesn't replace experience. e.g. wind flags are different weights, so the one at your range might behave differently than the one in the program at a given wind speed.

generally, it is a decent tool for helping you understand the basic inputs to a shooting solution and the basic process of developing it, then shooting and observing effects.

orkan
08-05-12, 20:51
Sorry to deflate your balloon a0... ;)

It can be a useful tool. However, the stages can be committed to memory quite easily.

QuietShootr
08-05-12, 21:01
Haven't been able to shoot much lately with a really busy schedule, so I've been scratching the itch and keeping my head in the game a bit by using Shooter Ready. It's pretty good, but ranging is a bit of the pain in the ass. Sometimes it's hard to see.

For example, I ranged the following target at 813m. The grey portion of the target is 32'' in height, and I measured it at dead on 1 MIL:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/shooterreadywtf.jpg

But NOPE, it's at 786m, so it apparently measures 1.033 MILS. So my adjustment was 0.4 MILS off. :angry:

I try to make headshots only in the simulation, so I obviously missed. In real life the "error" wouldn't have mattered all that much, as I'd be aiming dead-center, especially if I wasn't 100% sure on range. But GD if it doesn't piss me off a little bit anyway, and it just goes to show you that if you're going for uber-precise shot placement, measuring down to 0.1 MILS is necessary, and sometimes that isn't even enough. That's what LRF's are for. :D

Anyway, the only real reason I'm posting this is as an FYI in case anyone is interested in simulation software and hasn't heard of Shooter Ready. Overall I'd recommended it for keeping basic thinking skills sharp.

I've been using it since the first version came out. I think it's a great tool to keep your milling skills sharp. I just bought the new version about a month ago. Good stuff.

Pappabear
08-06-12, 09:44
A0cake , I will check it out. I need something like this. Inspendvmany nights in hotels. I still don't have the milling gig down.