PDA

View Full Version : For those that work outside.

sinlessorrow
08-05-12, 17:13
Hey guys, this is a heads up for those that work outside in the heat.

I have been working on a loading dock for a year and a half now always making sure to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water. Well Wednesday I had a 8hr day at work, came home did some work on the house for 2hrs, and then worked out later that night.

Come friday morning I wake up in excruciating pain in my lower left abdomen and luck would have it that my doc was out of town on vacation. So I end up having to be taken to the ER to have tests run, they do a white blood cell count, urinalysis, and ex rays of my kidneys/bladder, all of which came back perfect.

Come to find out due to the heat wave weve been having where I live there has been a large number of cases of dehydration recently at the ER. Doc told me to make sure from now on to do 2 bottles of water per 1bottle of large gatorade, since to much water will deplete needed minerals. Apparently during the night I had a muscle spasm in my lower abdomen which bruised the muscle and over extended it which now has left me in pain for the past 3 days.

So for those outside in the heat take care and be sure to drink 2 regular bottles of water per 1 bottle of gatorade and stay safe.

ICANHITHIMMAN
08-05-12, 17:18
Ya it sucks doesn't it hydrate or die.

theblackknight
08-05-12, 17:23
Pedialyte is king for me before matches/ work stuff and after heavy boozing. I buy the freezer pops and put them in my range bag/ruck/cargo pocket.

CLHC
08-05-12, 17:28
Water
Gatorade
Coconut Water

Works for me. Of course I don't work outside for a living anymore but still hydrate myself at work, since for me, Seattle is always hot.

a1fabweld
08-05-12, 20:56
I just finished welding on a pipeline job yesterday. We were working 10-12 hour days & the sun was relentless averaging 100 degrees. We were welding 60" split casing around a 42" in-service water main. It took about 3 hours to butt-weld one joint for 2 guys. We were down in a ditch about 15' below ground level. What little breeze there was passed right over the ditch. We were in full leathers and baking like a potatos in the oven. No matter how much Gatorade, water, fruit I drank/ate, I went home with a screaming headache every day & felt like I'd been beaten up by all the UFC guys combined.

The heat is no fun. I have to force myself to drink liquids throughout the day and still feel like shit. Stay safe fellas.

montanadave
08-05-12, 21:20
It ain't just outside. I've been framing a bunkhouse in my steel pole barn with temps brushing triple digits and lord knows how hot in that barn on a 10' ladder.

It sucks. And at fifty plus I'm gettin' too old for that shit. I can work a couple or three days in a row then I have to head for town and the house to recoup.

Sensei
08-05-12, 22:45
Pedialyte is king for me before matches/ work stuff and after heavy boozing. I buy the freezer pops and put them in my range bag/ruck/cargo pocket.

Bingo. Although optimized for dehydration caused by GI fluid loss (vomiting and diarrhea), Pedialye is excellent for sports and any other cause. Every family should stock up on Pedialtye, and rotate old bottles out for sports use when they are getting ready to expire. I keep 25 liters on hand at all times.