PDA

View Full Version : Low rise boots- My thoughts

White.Lightning
08-05-12, 18:36
Hey all. I've searched the forums high and low to find what most recommend for a non-duty low top boot. It seems, as one would imagine, that most threads were focused on the mid/high top duty boots that see combat and or heavy use from LEO or trainers.

Saying that, I've found four (4) boots that I think meet the following criteria:
-Tough/rugged- Will withstand most abuse a civilian can throw at them
and....
-Comfortable- Can be worn for 10-12 hours a day and not feel like you are wearing a "boot".

I came up with the following list:
Merrell Moab Ventilator- $90
http://www.shoesopia.com/shop/img/1/1348.jpg

Merrell Chamelion 4- $145
http://i.shoebuy.com/pi/wolve/wolve460806_16683_jb.jpg

Oboz Sawtooth- $110
http://www.rei.com/zoom/mm/e3f2dc4b-4ec3-479a-a3af-9b23c7686f30.jpg/440

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2- $155
http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/SAL/SAL2195/OVBKMS.jpg

My reason for purchase is because I work in the construction industry as a project manager. While visiting job sites through the years, my 'casual dress shoes' would regularly get beat up and be simply uncomfortable. I began to think of alternative shoes to wear and thought that a trail runner or hiking boot, both low top, would be the answer. So I went to the local outdoor store today and tried on the above four shoes.

I tried on the Merrell Chameleon's and Salomon Ultra 2's first. The Chameleons were very rigid in the sole and provided ample arch support and padding. They are waterproof and I could see them getting hot during scroching summer months. All in all they felt like a nice shoe.

Next up was the Salomon's. They felt more like a sneaker, and even looked more like a sneaker. Once on my foot I realized that they were more than that and provided a nice feel. The part that threw me off was the laces how they were 'draw strung' versus tied. It was something I've never felt before on a sneaker/boot so naturally it felt odd.

Then I moved onto the Oboz Sawtooth's. I don't know if its the cut of the shoe but the ankle portion felt like it was grabbing my ankles and would probably lead to blisters at some point. Overall the shoe was nice, but I did not like the feel of this one for myself.

Lastly was the Merrell Moab Ventilators. They almost felt too comfortable, and felt of lesser quality than the other three shoes. Support was great all around, comfort was good, etc. Like I said, they just felt like a cheaper shoe.

I guess I have three questions for people who have owned, or currently own any of the above pairs of shoes:

1. With the Chameleon's- does the sole "break in" and become less rigid? Do they make your feet sweat a lot during warm months?

2. With the Salomon's- are they more of a running shoe (being a trail runner) versus a utility boot? Will they hold up to construction sites?

3. Lastly, with the Oboz Sawtooth's- does the 'ankle biting' feeling go away with time?

I want to pull the trigger on one of the above pair, or another if one recommends it, in the near future.

Thanks

IYAAYASwarrior
08-05-12, 18:59
I have no recommendations on the above boots. What I do have is some experience with hiking boots and my take on them. I like a mid-high cut boot myself based solely on the support element of them. I have had a good many different style of boot over the years and I always go back to a boot with more ankle support, usually a higher cut. When I hike I use a higher boot to give me the extra support due to the ground being uneven and maybe a little extra protection from the slivering bastards. As for working on a construction site, you may encounter some of the same terrain as you would out hiking or "booney stomping" I like to keep to as flat of a sole as I can to reduce rolling and maintain as much contact as possible. I know the job-site can be muddy sometimes so to reduce the effects I like to get as solid of a design as I can and try to stay away from extra vents and mesh sections so water cant get through. Although these suggestions aren't in line with what you were asking I hope they can help.

duece71
08-05-12, 19:36
I have both the Salomon and the Oboz. I have an old pair of Salomon XD Pro 3D Ultras (non Gortex) and they are bar none the most comfortable shoe I have had. I bought them for running and they have served that purpose well. I have not done a lot of hiking/backpacking in them, mostly running, biking and working out. I plan on replacing them with Gortex version you have shown in your post. I also have a pair of Salomon Discovery GTX boots for hiking and again, very comfortable, seem to be durable and of course, no wet feet. I have done a fair amount of hiking in them (Ohio, if you want to call it hiking) and I really enjoy them. I also have a pair of Oboz Yellowstone II boots. They too have been very comfortable. I got them in a half size larger (11) than my feet and they fit better in the 11s than 10.5s. Have you looked at the Oboz Firebrand II shoe?? I may go with those instead of the Salomons just to try something different. I would not trust my Salomons on anything greater than a short hike or run. I do not feel that they would be up for it due to the light construction (my opinion). Are you looking for a shoe/boot for protection against your workplace environment?

White.Lightning
08-05-12, 20:27
I have no recommendations on the above boots. What I do have is some experience with hiking boots and my take on them.

Which boots would you recommend?

I have both the Salomon and the Oboz. Are you looking for a shoe/boot for protection against your workplace environment?

I am looking for something that is durable and comfortable. I am tired of spending $100-130 on 'casual dress' shoes that just don't hold up and aren't (IMO) comfortable day to day.

White.Lightning
08-05-12, 20:36
I also see that the Sawtooth is available in a mid height. I could try those on as well and see if the 'ankle biting' goes away- which I'm sure it will.

gun71530
08-06-12, 19:42
I own the Merrell's and the Salomon's. You really can't go wrong with either pair, however if you wear the Merrell's in any kind of wet environment, your feet are going to get soaked.

indawire
08-06-12, 20:31
I have a pair of Merrill's like the ones you have pictured for warmer weather like now and a pair of the over the ankle length for fall and winter weather. I spent 15 years as a CM and now as a Building Inspector in and out of the office into the field. They have held up well, look decent, provide reasonable protection from the elements and are comfortable right out of the box. They will not provide any toe protection from dropped material as the toe box is only rubber. Both pair are Gortex lined and have kept my feet dry in typical jobsite conditions. Face it, your not standing around in the rain all day anymore, that's why your the CM:lazy:In and out of the trailer and onto the site for inspections they are fine. Ditch the stock innersole and get some of the Sole brand innersoles. Much better support, removable each night to let the boots dry and will last about a good year worn every day. No experience with any of the other brands you listed, the Merrill's just fit me from the get go.

duece71
08-06-12, 21:24
Durable and comfortable, I would choose the Oboz. The GTX Salomons might work as well. Check out the firebrand 2s by Oboz.

Strider5.56
08-06-12, 21:50
Merrell Moab Ventilator Goretex, I bought mine from Hush-puppies store at the mall about 6 months ago. They give LEO/Military discount. They shipped them to my door for $92.00 even. Yes that's for the Goretex water proof version. I also have the waterproof mid ventilators. They are awesome. I prefer them over other very expensive hunting/military boots I have. They perform, but are not as bulky. I have wore Merrells for several years now. Its my favorite off-duty reliable boot.

travistheone
08-06-12, 22:28
I have the salomons, definitely not jobsite tough. great running/ hike/ all day shoe, but not for the job. I have used and abused a pair of http://i.shoebuy.com/pi/lowab/lowab320876_126439_lg.jpg

lowa zephyrs and they rock.

ST911
08-06-12, 23:06
I tend to prefer mids for most purposes but it depends on terrain. If it's easy ground and I'm going for a walk more than "hiking", I don't mind the lows. Mids for anything else.

The Moab Ventilators are GTG. Very light in both low and mid. Recommended.

08-07-12, 20:38
After two pairs of merrels fell apart on me in sand land, I switched to the Salomons. They are fantastic and I own too many pairs now. Unfortunately they don't have a pro deal, but you can find them on sale if you scour the 'net hard enough. Some guys at work have the Lowa Zephyrs and love them; they will be my next purchase

BangBang77
08-07-12, 23:50
Kenetrek Mountain Boots.

No other boot even compares. I've owned just about every brand of boot on the planet, Lowas, Asolo, Solomon, La Sportiva, Merrell, Zamberlan, Scarpa, Danner, Limmer, Alico, Meindl, North Face, and none of them have the support, quality footbed, traction, construction, durability, and fit that Kenetrek can provide.

I'm a former paratrooper, and currently a Wilderness Search and Rescue instructor, so I log hundreds, if not thousands of miles each year. I teach weeklong classes in the backcountry in every type of terrain imaginable and they're the only boots that have taken what I've dished out and asked for seconds.

Kenetrek makes hiking boots, hunting boots, mountaineering boots, a model of tactical boots, and some pac boots that put the LL Bean pac boots to shame. They're definitely not cheap, but once you put a pair on, you'll never wear another boot. Italian made, 1 piece leather construction, lined and un-lined, waterproof models and non as well.

Give them a try.

skd_tactical
08-08-12, 00:55
I have the salomons, definitely not jobsite tough. great running/ hike/ all day shoe, but not for the job. I have used and abused a pair of http://i.shoebuy.com/pi/lowab/lowab320876_126439_lg.jpg

lowa zephyrs and they rock.

+1. I have worn LOWA's at home, for training, and while deployed since about 2007. They are the best boots I have ever worn. Just the other day I fell while getting onto a helo - it certainly did not look bad ass. If I hadn't been wearing my Zephyr's with their awesome ankle support that helo would have turned into my MEDEVAC bird too. I can't say enough how much I love LOWA boots.

SOS

youngAR
08-08-12, 08:37
I wish they produced ANY of those low hikers in ALL black. I desperately need an all black low top shoe for duty.

On topic, I had the Chameleons with the quick pull laces. They were comfy but had a weird rise at the heal.

Giff74
08-08-12, 21:41
I've had a couple pair of the Salomons and while they are super comfortable, even for long periods of wear, they just don't hold up.

I eventually bit the bullet and got a pair of Danner Acadia. Best money I ever spent on footwear.

Urban_Redneck
08-11-12, 06:27
A different style, but, a great shoe for work (I'm a GC):

http://i.pgcdn.com/pi/79/12/11/791211845_260.jpg

Product Description: Men's Converse Pro-Tech Composite-Toe Work Shoes
The Classic Performance Athletic Hiker Hi Top features a leather upper and a removable EVA cushion insert, a sponge rubber wedge, and a heel airbag. The comfortable, duel density outsole features a rubber bottom and an EVA midsole. For work environments where electricity is of concern, patented DR Dual Resistor and ESD technology helps dissipate and accurately control static electricity. A composite toe securely protects the foot while remaining light weight and will not conduct heat, cold, or electricity. Composit toe meets or exceeds te ASTM F2413-05 standard for protective footwear. The shoe is 100% non-metallic and airport friendly.

Light, excellent support, requires no break-in, and wears really well. The composite toe is there when needed and forgotten when it's not. I'm on my third pair.

YMMV

Tangodown24
08-11-12, 15:57
Not to add another boot into the mix but try out the Danner Radical 452 GTX. Im a contractor and wore them for work for about a year. Theyre Goretex so they breathe in hot weather and are also waterproof for rain/snow. They took about a month to break in the heel but I loved them. My only complaint was the tread on soles wore down, but thats my fault i guess for wearing a hiking boot on concrete for 40 hrs a week.

currahee
08-11-12, 23:55
I have had about three pairs of Merrel Moab. I fight them to be very comfortable they wear out after about a year, but I'm putting lots of miles on them.

danish
08-12-12, 07:14
I have worn both styles of Merrells for work and they both hold up equally well. I feel my line of work as a landscape contractor will weed sub-par shoes with the Merrells being the only non-steel toe boot that holds up. I am in different conditions all the time from cement dust, mud, being constantly soaked, or coated in gravel dust. They have always kept my feet comfy with a slight nod going to the Moab since they are a mid-top and I like the ankle support and the low-top Chameleons let too much crap get in to the shoe. If only Merrell would make a steel toe I would be set!!

lebowski
08-15-12, 08:37
I have had the salomons pictured (same green gortex) for a few months and I really like them. The lace takes a little time to get used to but I think I like it.

I know that salomon calls them a trail runner, but personally I would not ever run in them (and I am a runner). I like running shoes to be much lighter and less bulky. I look at them more as a general purpose outdoor type shoe ... i.e. I wear them to the gun range, some outdoor activities like hiking etc.

I think they will hold up much better than an ordinary sneaker. Not sure if they'll hold up as well as a boot. It's a good compromise IMO - fits like an athletic shoe, but has more support, better waterproofing with the gortex, and should hold up better.