PDA

View Full Version : will a lighting link work in a M16 lower?

bunkerguy
08-06-12, 15:51
dumb question but this co-worker of mine said it would, and to that I said it will as long as you use a M16 parts kit minus that M16 bolt . I am right or is my co-worker?

LtNovakUSA
08-06-12, 16:04
are you talking about an actual M16, that already has an auto sear? if so whats the point?

Army Chief
08-06-12, 16:10
You're both right -- and both wrong.

It would make absolutely no sense to install a Lightning Link in a select-fire receiver, and indeed, you would have to remove the M-16 auto sear components (sear, pin and spring) to even install it. With the right fire control components and bolt carrier, I'm sure that it would work in an M-16 (select-fire) lower in the exact same way that it works in an AR-15 (semi-automatic) lower, but again, what would be the point?

AC

bunkerguy
08-06-12, 16:14
are you talking about an actual M16, that already has an auto sear? if so whats the point?

no auto sear, just the bear bones lowers.

Zhurdan
08-06-12, 16:17
More importantly, do you have access to one? ( a lightning link that is)

From what I've found, they're damn expensive and getting rarer than hens teeth.

Army Chief
08-06-12, 16:19
no auto sear, just the bear bones lowers.

The technical difference between an M-16 lower and an AR-15 lower for your purposes is the presence of the sear pin hole. If it isn't there, it isn't an M-16 receiver. If it is, you're looking at a select-fire receiver regardless of which fire control components are fitted.

Sounds like you're asking about AR-15 lowers, which the Lightning Link was designed for in the first place, so of course it would work. Assuming you had one. And it is registered/transferable. On the other hand, if you're just contemplating a home workshop project in defiance of federal law, then you really need to excuse yourself from the site now.

Additional reading (http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html).

AC

bunkerguy
08-06-12, 16:36
The technical difference between an M-16 lower and an AR-15 lower for your purposes is the presence of the sear pin hole. If it isn't there, it isn't an M-16 receiver. If it is, you're looking at a select-fire receiver regardless of which fire control components are fitted.

Sounds like you're asking about AR-15 lowers, which the Lightning Link was designed for in the first place, so of course it would work. Assuming you had one. And it is registered/transferable. On the other hand, if you're just contemplating a home workshop project in defiance of federal law, then you really need to excuse yourself from the site now.

Additional reading (http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html).

AC

I am not planning anything, I just need some info to shut up a moronic Co-worker.

Ak44
08-06-12, 19:14

Sear pin hole and a lower shelf and some/less meat on the side walls.

bunkerguy
08-06-12, 19:23
M16 lowers are inpossible to find, my god this gu at work is a barrel of laughs, he does not know anything about anything.

polymorpheous
08-06-12, 20:46
The more you post, the bigger fool you make yourself out to be.
You posted the OP because you yourself didn't know anything about anything.
Inflating you ego on a public forum is not becoming.

Transferable M16 lowers are not that hard to find.
A quick look at NFA specific boards will net you several for sale ranging from $15,000-20,000.

Iraqgunz
08-07-12, 02:05
Op,

Briefly explain why this issue is so important and why you feel you need our validation. As it has already been noted adding a lightening link to a true M16 lower is silly an:confused:d serves no purpose. Let us know why this thread should remain open any longer.