PDA

View Full Version : RMR as Primary on .223

FlyingHunter
08-06-12, 20:57
Greetings all,

I'm considering putting together a very lightweight .223 AR. Primary role will be a companion rifle while roaming around on my farm, riding in ATV, etc...Is anyone using a Trijicon or Leupold type RMR as the primary? I currently run an EoTech but am looking to go smaller and lighter for busting thru brush, woods etc..I appreciate your feedback.

VIP3R 237
08-06-12, 21:10
I do know some who do run a RMR as a primary, but my thoughts are why not run an Aimpoint Micro (T or H)-1? Almost as small and lightweight but IMO a much more durable option.

oef24
08-06-12, 23:15
I'm with VIP on this one. I too would go with an Aimpoint Micro. A few things that that set the Micro apart in a good way is the vast amount of mounts available, battery life and durability. Also, you can get a smaller dot size with the Micro vs the RMR's. I do have an RMR on a pistol and I think it is perfect for that application. Good luck with your decision.

O

ChocLab
08-07-12, 00:33

bruin
08-07-12, 00:37
I put an Insight MRDS on my AR because out of the lightweight-compact RDSes, it was the most affordable (about $250 less than a H1 setup). Compared to the Micros, the MRDS is not as rugged, battery life is only about a year, no 2MOA dot, and the open design is not as mud-resistant (very minor for me). Aftermarket mount support is also limited, however the standard rail mount plus a 1/2" riser gives something like a lower 1/3 cowitness. Total weight including the mount and riser is less than 4oz.

For what I paid, I'm happy with it... in my book it beats an 11oz PRO with a huge body that's also costs more. I'd jump at the chance to upgrade to a T1/H1 if a sweet deal came along, though.

I think the RMR is too close to the Micros in price to be worth it. The only reason I wouldn't get a Micro is the price, then the MRDS is the best affordable alternative.

ChocLab
08-07-12, 15:18
This is the link to the Pat M SME thread

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=106491

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss15/jaf0206/TAPS%2002-05-06-2011/PatmacclassFeb20113.jpg

FlyingHunter
08-07-12, 16:53
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback!

VIP3R 237
08-07-12, 21:47
Interesting point of the RMR having an absolute reticle vs eotech/aimpoints flaring reticle, it makes me re-think on this subject. I may have to pick up a RMR and give it a try.

ChocLab
08-18-12, 23:48

TriggerHippie
08-28-12, 22:23
I experimented with the RMR on a riser before returning it and opting for an Eotech EXPS which ended up convincing me of the virtue of a slightly heavier red dot/holo optic. In terms of price, weight and versatility it seemed like a good deal. For the role that it would perform on a rifle, however, a T-1 or H-1 is a better choice in the lightweight role.

View angle for the dot, as others have said, is more limited than with the T-1's I've had a chance to mess with. Looking at bright backgrounds in a dark setting also threw off the automatic adjustment (I didn't get the LED-powered model, so this may not be an issue with those).

It's nice that the RMR can be mounted on pistols; my intent was to leave it on the AR and in the future maybe put it on my 1911 or a dedicated open gun at some point. However, I decided in the end that a dedicated - if somewhat larger - optic on the rifle that really brought out its contact-to-however-many-hundred-yards range capabilities was worth the weight.