PDA

View Full Version : My Concealed Carry Options?

aaron_c
08-06-12, 22:34
I just got a new job recently as an auditor, which requires that I occasionally go to some pretty undesirable places. When working, I have to wear at least khakis with shirt tucked in, but more normally I tend to be in a suit (without the jacket in summer...it's just too damn hot for that down here in Louisiana!). I have to have any firearm completely 100% concealed for me to be able to carry.

What do you guys recommend or suggest for a method of carry for me? I'd honestly love to find a way to carry something like an LCR, but it seems like the only way for me to truly conceal a firearm in this attire is to use something like the P3AT, Bodyguard 380, and the like.

Thanks!

Up1911fan
08-06-12, 23:03
3 day's a week I have to dress as you describe for work. The other day's a get more leeway. When having to wear Khaki's and tuck the shirt, I go with an LCR in a pocket holster or a tuckable kydex holster from CCC. You could also go with an ankle holster ( not my first choice for a primary carry gun) or something like a smartcarry.

zerocool
08-06-12, 23:33
As a fellow "professional" (for me of the InfoSec nerd variety), I've gone through a few combinations of weapon, holster, and carry position. I've come to love the M&P9c and a RCS holster with 'tuckable' IWB belt loops at about the 4 o'clock position. Dress pants + button down shirt worn loose - my CCW disappears. While less than ideal for speed of draw, I've found it to be a reasonable compromise given client expectations for business dress.

...with a suit you have even better concealment and more options. Good luck in your search, know that you'll probably have to try out a few combinations to find what works for you.

tdoom15
08-07-12, 00:19
I would check out the Walther PPS or MP shield, both in 9mm, and if you are a bigger guy you may be able to fully conceal a g19 or mp9c as well. I also really like comptacs line of tuckable iwb holsters.

aaron_c
08-07-12, 08:03
Thanks for the quick replies, I'll have a look at a few of those options over lunch if I can. I'm 6'2" but pretty skinny at around 160-165 lbs. I've tried to just conceal my 19 various ways without a holster in typical work attire with no success.

Zerocool, which Raven holster model do you use?

Rosco Benson
08-07-12, 08:23
There is a level of "tuckable holster" concealment that will pass muster when walking down the street. However, it is difficult to avoid detection if you are around the same people, in a relatively confined area, all day long. Given this and the fact that you are most exposed while going between your parked car and the client's place of business, perhaps off-body carry is your best bet.

There are several concealed-carry briefcases and laptop cases on the market. Off-body carry is far from an ideal carry mode, but sometimes compromises must be made. The upside is that off-body carry makes carrying a full size pistol practical and, if you have to use it, it'll be more effective than a tiny pocket pistol.

Rosco

CAVDOC
08-07-12, 08:31
I personally am a big fan of ankle carry- once you practice with it, in comparison to a tuckable with a shirt tucked in covering it, I can draw from an ankle faster. My choices for you would be a subcompact auto- lets say a glock 26 or a smith j frame on the ankle, and/or a small pocket auto. My routine daily carry is a j frame on my ankle and a seecamp 32 in a pocket.

zerocool
08-07-12, 08:37
Thanks for the quick replies, I'll have a look at a few of those options over lunch if I can. I'm 6'2" but pretty skinny at around 160-165 lbs. I've tried to just conceal my 19 various ways without a holster in typical work attire with no success.

Zerocool, which Raven holster model do you use?

Aaron, I use the RCS Phantom holster. Initially I was certain a kydex holster would be uncomfortable, but after actually wearing it (daily carry for past 6 months), it's incredibly comfortable. With a good belt (very important part of the system), I honestly barely notice.

Again, you may hate kydex, and prefer something like a Crossbreed Supertuck or Galco King-tuk (I have no direct experience with either, just know that they come up often when discussing IWB carry), but for me this system has been working quite well.

Also, for comparison - M&P9c is almost identical in size to a G19 (frame-wise, the magazine finger extension, or lack-thereof can make the 9c a tad shorter).

Spurholder
08-07-12, 09:34
I suggest that you take a close look at the Glock 19 (or Glock 17) combined with a RCS Vanguard 2 combination...

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/vanguard-holster-systems/vanguard-2-holster-full-kit

And oh, by the way - it's tuckable.

TMS951
08-07-12, 09:40
I recently purchased a Kahr PM9, it is an amazing little gun. Very easy to shoot and very accurate. It has changed my carry mentality.

In your position I would carry it IWB at the 3-4 o'clock and simply keep my suit jacket on regardless of outside temperature.

This set up gives you good firepower in a tiny size with a very positive and fast draw.

skipper49
08-07-12, 10:48
I work in an office, around the same people everyday, plus patients. I've been carrying a Sig P238 in a Ryan Grizzle pocket holster for two years w/o ever being detected. That's wearing khakis and a shirt, with no jacket or lab coat. About two months ago, I picked up a Ruger LC9, and have been carrying it in the same way. SOME pockets are a tad shallow for the Ruger, but most conceal it fine, and it IS a very thin, 8 rd, 9mm. If I can carry the 9 almost as easily as the .380, then I will, and a PROPER pocket rig will acomplish that.
As a side note, I like the P238 a lot.

Skip

MegademiC
08-07-12, 12:41
Im gonna suggest a m&P Shield 9, in a tuckable holster. Thin, light, small, cheap and reliable... no one will know.

If you want to be real sneaky you can put a cellphone in a holster over the belt clip.

okie john
08-07-12, 13:12
I grew up in Oklahoma and spent a fair amount of time visiting relatives in Louisiana and Arkansas during summers when I was a kid. The heat is one of the reasons I stayed in Washington state when I left the Army.

This thread has a lot of good advice, but you need to give your clothes as much attention as you give your pistol. Most clothes in department stores are a little on the baggy side, which is lucky for you. You're also lucky that it's common to see slim guys like you wearing dress shirts that fit at the neck and sleeves but that are cut full through the body. Embrace that look when you carry tucked in, and you should be able to hide something the size of a G19 and a spare mag with ease, especially if you carry AIWB.

A tailor can help with the suits. Most big department stores have tailors who can alter your suits to fit properly. Let them help you out. Also, if you know any cops, especially detectives, ask who their tailors are. This problem is more common than you'd think.

Okie John

Joeywhat
08-07-12, 13:51
Glock 19 in a Raven VG2.

Guns-up.50
08-07-12, 14:06
Glock 19 in a Raven VG2.

Although this is a good set up.. I did not find it to be super comfortable when I was sitting.

OP , I think a smith 442 appendix carry isn't a bad way either, sure your limited with rnd count and ammo but it makes up for it in conceal-ability

08-07-12, 14:11
This may not help you, but I have found that I am better at drawing from a hidden holster in a bag nearby than from a concealed holster with a shirt tucked in. So what I do is I have a back pack that has a holster in it always with me (it is my laptop bag). Allows me to have a fullsize gun with me, as well as something I can easily leave in my car if I have to walk into a Government building. If you carry stuff like a laptop with you, you may want to check out some of the excellent bags out there for them, such as the ones made by Maxpedition.

I am still looking/waiting for a perfect IPAD case that has room in the back for the Walther PPS. you would think someone could come up with that... :)

08-07-12, 14:22
Although this is a good set up.. I did not find it to be super comfortable when I was sitting.

OP , I think a smith 442 appendix carry isn't a bad way either, sure your limited with rnd count and ammo but it makes up for it in conceal-ability

I find the VG2 plenty comfortable at the 4:00 position, but not so much for appendix carry, but I am not really use to that anyway.

Big A
08-07-12, 14:49
There is a level of "tuckable holster" concealment that will pass muster when walking down the street. However, it is difficult to avoid detection if you are around the same people, in a relatively confined area, all day long. Given this and the fact that you are most exposed while going between your parked car and the client's place of business, perhaps off-body carry is your best bet.

There are several concealed-carry briefcases and laptop cases on the market. Off-body carry is far from an ideal carry mode, but sometimes compromises must be made. The upside is that off-body carry makes carrying a full size pistol practical and, if you have to use it, it'll be more effective than a tiny pocket pistol.
Rosco

I think this would be your best route. There are several opitons out there for this.

For me, if I have to tuck in my shirt then I pocket carry a J-frame S&W or my G26. I'm not a fan of the .380ACP so I don't have any of the small mouse guns. I know they aren't very fashionable but pleated pants are your best bet when pocket carrying.

Psalms144.1
08-07-12, 17:01
I'm lucky in that I'm rarely in the same "fashion conundrum" you are. However, there are RARE occasions when I have to be armed with a tucked in shirt and no covering garment.

For these situations, THIN is key. The G19 is a fantastic pistol, but not optimal for concealment in your situation. I have a Kahr PM9 that I use for those times when I have to carry a gun in DEEP concealment.

I use either a FIST ultrathin kydex tuckable holster, or a leather tuckable; both have worked fine for this application. No, it's not fast, but it is VERY discreet.

Ankle carry is another option, and, in fact, I carry my PM9 daily in a Galco Ankle Glove as a BUG. It's not terribly fast on the draw either, and you have to make sure your pants have plenty of "break" so your rig doesn't become visible when you sit, but it's definitely an option.

I'm personally not a fan of pocket carry in the pants pocket. First of all, you need to have pretty darned deep and loose pockets to avoid looking like you have a Costanza Wallet (or you're just happy to see everyone). More importantly, most of us spend most of our days sitting - at a desk, table, or behind the wheel of your car. Drawing from a pocket holster while sitting down is next to impossible without serious contortions - try it sometime with an UNLOADED pistol, and you'll see what I mean...

If I was in your shoes, I'd look hard at the Kahr P9 - slightly larger with an extra round on board, but still perfectly concealable tucked or on the ankle, and easy to shoot well.

Regards,

Kevin

El Cid
08-07-12, 18:24
I've very successfully worn a 5" 1911 in a shoulder rig under a tucked in dress shirt. If you use a smaller and lighter gun it would be even easier. Just rip it open superman style in a crisis. This also presumes there are few if any hugging types in your office.

bpw
08-07-12, 19:33
I wear the 5.11 Holster Shirt in your type of situation. It can hold a full size M&P if you are a larger person. The M&P compact works well for me. There are dress shirts available with fake buttons that snap the shirt together and can be opened very quickly. Again, as El Cid notes, this is not so good if you hang around with a bunch of hugging types or people who like to pat you on the back. b

MegademiC
08-07-12, 21:22
I forgot to mention appendix carry. Concelement should not be an issue. I have, on occasion, conceled a glock-sized pistol in a dress shirt tucked in with a comp-tac ctac. Im 6' 150lb nude, desgustingly skinny(obviously). A singlestack such as th shield or pps would be perfect. You can concele them in a wife-beater so a dress shirt is no problem.

I highly suggest you go to your local gunshop in your work clothes and "mexican" tuck some of their guns in to see how easy it is to concele. Appendix is the way to go though, no worries bending and generally hides much better. Thats all I have to offer.

aaron_c
08-08-12, 00:15
I think my main concern with something like briefcase carry is that I'm willing to give up a briefcase to a thief or whatever...but if my gun is in it, and not on me, that's no longer an option. A gun would be harder to access there as well, especially is a 'bad guy' suddenly sees my rifling through my bag. Right now I'm leaning towards a good quality pocket holster and something in the size range of the BG380 or so at the largest.

BCmJUnKie
08-08-12, 00:24
I would HIGHLY recommend you try some diffent configurations out for YOURSELF rather than rely on people's preferences on the Internet.

You're gonna get every kind of answer when it comes down to what works for YOU.

BigRed82
08-08-12, 02:49
I suggest that you take a close look at the Glock 19 (or Glock 17) combined with a RCS Vanguard 2 combination...

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/vanguard-holster-systems/vanguard-2-holster-full-kit

And oh, by the way - it's tuckable.

+1 to all the Glock 19/17 with VG2 suggestions. Granted, I'm 6'4" and 200lbs, but with the VG2 at the 12:30-1 position, I can easily conceal a GLOCK 17 in dress attire sans jacket. A GLOCK 19 would be even easier.

I have no discomfort with the 17 in the sitting position. I guess I could see the VG2 being uncomfortable if it was more at 2 o'clock, but I had no problems with it at 12:30-1. It is definitely worth consideration.

QuackXP
08-08-12, 08:46
I'm sometimes in the same instances where the SuperTuck might still be noticed.

I found these concealment products and have considered the shirt.

http://undertechundercover.com/

CaptainDooley
08-08-12, 10:00
This is going to be highly personal - depending on your body type and size, how touchy/feely people are in your office, and how much sitting/standing/moving you do all day.

Personally, when I have to carry with a tucked in shirt, I use tuckable loops on my normal PSS holster setup and carry a full size M&P9 with a light mounted on it... but I'm 6', 260lbs, and broad chested enough that I've got room for such a big rig at 3-4 o'clock without it showing at all (other than the belt loops). I guarantee this setup won't work for everyone.

Unfortunately, you're likely to end up with a box of holsters (and possibly a few extra guns) by the time you figure out what works for you...

bdcheung
08-08-12, 10:31
I am 5'11" and 150lbs.

When I have to carry in these conditions, I'll use one of three optons:

5.11 holster shirt if the weather is cool enough. The compression fabric isn't as thin as UnderArmor heatgear and it actually warms you up quite a bit.
Raven Concealment Systems Phantom with tuckable C-Hooks, OR
JRC AIWB-CDA (http://jrcholsters.com/holsters/inside-the-waistband/8-aiwb-cda) tuckable appendix holster

KalashniKEV
08-08-12, 11:40
I personally am a big fan of ankle carry- once you practice with it, in comparison to a tuckable with a shirt tucked in covering it, I can draw from an ankle faster. My choices for you would be a subcompact auto- lets say a glock 26 or a smith j frame on the ankle, and/or a small pocket auto. My routine daily carry is a j frame on my ankle and a seecamp 32 in a pocket.

+1

I know it's not the preferred method, but all those tuckable holsters require you to wear an ill-fitting or baggy shirt, and maintain a generally unkempt or sloppy look.

Plus ladies are always trying to put their hands on me...
:D

zimm17
08-08-12, 13:49
Ruger LCP in a leather wallet holster. Disapears in anything but a bathing suit.

http://www.unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com/Pages/default.aspx

You can even get that wallet holster to cover the crimson trace laser. I love it.

http://www.unclegeorgeswalletholsters.com/siteimages/ctl%201.jpg

Salamander
08-08-12, 14:05
I normally wear a suit jacket to the office, and I'm in a usually mild coastal climate so that's almost always practical. On weekends it's a more casual light jacket.

The suit jacket is long enough that I've been able to carry almost anything without difficulty, with a full size pistol posture matters a little more. My everyday carry is a Glock 26 which is very easy to hide, I've been trying several different IWB holsters recently but most of them conceal adequately and I'm simply experimenting to find the most comfortable option.

When I occasionally need to go inland in summer it gets a lot hotter and concealing is more difficult. Last weekend I spent a full day in the Siskiyous with a small group of people, in the woods fashion wasn't really an expectation so an unbuttoned cotton shirt over a light tee shirt was adequate. But when I need to visit an inland urban area for business on a 95 degree day, the G26 goes into a pocket holster and then into one pocket of a small computer shoulder bag that carries my iPad in the other pocket.

My Sig P229 works well under a suit jacket in an OWB holster, but its not practical on a hot day or without the longer jacket. I prefer that gun in rural areas because I'm more accurate with it at distance, and it tends to get more use when I'm going to be on an outdoor project site all day in the cooler months. I was sure happy I had it while out on a remote construction site a few weeks ago knowing there was a reputed meth lab with a Rottweiler nearby. The Sig is heavy enough to require a very solid belt, and I'm thinking about picking up a H&K instead, the only thing holding me back is that some of the newer models aren't on the CA DOJ approved list and thus the choices are somewhat limited.

In my experience it's about careful consideration of your unique circumstances, and then a little trial and error. It can be a challenge though to get around the size and weight considerations in summer dress.

Guinnessman
08-08-12, 15:57
When I need to pocket carry, I prefer a Kahr PM9. It's extremely small, light weight, reliable, and plenty accurate. The trigger is long, but then again it is very smooth with a crisp break.

Mine has been completely reliable, and it works great when I cannot carry a Glock 19/17. Find a range where you can rent firearms and try as many different types as you can. Good luck.

aaron_c
08-09-12, 09:06
I've taken a look at the VG2 in pictures and YouTube videos, and everywhere I've seen it, the rear portion of the gun (including entire grip portion) is visible above the pants. Do you just tuck your shirt in around it?

bdcheung
08-09-12, 09:07
The VG2 is fully tuckable.

ST911
08-09-12, 09:40
When carrying in the most non-permissive environments, ankle, pocket, or deep-garment (holster shirt, etc) are your best options.

There are few places you can't put a subcompact 9mm or a J-frame if you are dedicated.

MegademiC
08-09-12, 15:35
I've taken a look at the VG2 in pictures and YouTube videos, and everywhere I've seen it, the rear portion of the gun (including entire grip portion) is visible above the pants. Do you just tuck your shirt in around it?

yes, tuckable means the shirt tucks between pants and holster.

Spurholder
08-09-12, 15:47
+1 to all the Glock 19/17 with VG2 suggestions. Granted, I'm 6'4" and 200lbs, but with the VG2 at the 12:30-1 position, I can easily conceal a GLOCK 17 in dress attire sans jacket. A GLOCK 19 would be even easier.

I have no discomfort with the 17 in the sitting position. I guess I could see the VG2 being uncomfortable if it was more at 2 o'clock, but I had no problems with it at 12:30-1. It is definitely worth consideration.

And +1 to your comment as well. I wore my G17 in my VG2 while watching Brave at the local theater last evening...no issues, save my four year old son trying to claw his way into my lap during the heavy "bear on bear" combat scenes...but that's hardly the holster's fault. :D

Pistol Shooter
08-09-12, 16:32

Rosco

+1

I'm not comfortable with off body carry but as a former sales rep. traveling a large territory, making 8-10 sales calls a day in many different office situations, it's a good compromise measure IMO.

ST911
08-09-12, 22:45
Re: off body carry...

There is no need to go off-body unless you're evading an active screening mechanism of some sort. If you're having trouble with some of the mechanisms mentioned, you are not trying hard enough.

Shabazz
08-12-12, 15:27
I work in an office, around the same people everyday, plus patients. I've been carrying a Sig P238 in a Ryan Grizzle pocket holster for two years w/o ever being detected. That's wearing khakis and a shirt, with no jacket or lab coat. About two months ago, I picked up a Ruger LC9, and have been carrying it in the same way. SOME pockets are a tad shallow for the Ruger, but most conceal it fine, and it IS a very thin, 8 rd, 9mm. If I can carry the 9 almost as easily as the .380, then I will, and a PROPER pocket rig will acomplish that.
As a side note, I like the P238 a lot.

Skip

That is good info.

Just an aside, a local guy here killed himself with a Sig P238. He took it out of his holster, safety off, set it on the kitchen table, pointing towards himself, and was touching the trigger while he did it. One shot to the heart.

deeHKman
08-12-12, 22:53
I like my HK45c in a Milt Spark's VMII the more i wear it everyday. Bonus my P30s 9mm fit's the same holster. Cooler i will use my HK45 in a MS VMII. Like my HK's and leather!!!

aaron_c
08-31-12, 18:26
As a quick update, I'm still trying to decide between the Bodyguard 380 and the Kahr CM9. I know I can and would carry the BG380 every day, easily, but the Kahr is just right on the verge of being too big (i.e. it fills my entire pocket which makes pocket carry difficult, as that leaves me nowhere to put my keys, with the cell phone in the other pocket). 9mm would be great for the extra power and because I already have a 9mm, but I'm kind of afraid I will end up carrying it less.

I'm going to buy one of them next Friday, during our tax free weekend.