PDA

View Full Version : Moving

ridgerunner70
08-08-12, 14:41
Was needing a little info on North Carolina. My wife and I have lived in Missouri all our lives and have been planning on moving. North Carolina is in our top 3 and wondering how the gun laws are in that state and a good place to look at for descent school,jobs and low crime rate living areas. Any info is welcomed, Thanks.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-08-12, 14:53
MOVE!!

Sorry, thought we were doing a movement drill.

Army Chief
08-08-12, 15:17
https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1354166&postcount=62

AC

Sensei
08-08-12, 16:12
I live in Charlotte. It is a greater metro area of 1.8 million. We have a hub airport for US Airways, and pro sports minus MLB. The souther suburbs are in SC with even lower taxes. The cost of living is very reasonable. Public schools very with location like most areas. There are 2 medium sized lakes in the metro area for boating. It's 2 hrs to the mountains and 3.5 hrs to the SC beaches.

There are 2 out door ranges in the county, and both are private. There are two indoor ranges with a significant bubba factor to one.

M4Fundi
08-08-12, 19:13
MOVE!!

Sorry, thought we were doing a movement drill.

Dammit... it took a minute then my espresso just went thru my nose:p

SteyrAUG
08-08-12, 19:30
Last time I checked NC required pre authorization for a handgun purchase.

Army Chief
08-08-12, 19:44
Last time I checked NC required pre authorization for a handgun purchase.

True statement. A fresh $5 permit is required for every handgun purchase -- legacy of the old Jim Crow laws. You can avoid it by getting a NC CCW, but the paperwork drill for that (after training) is beyond ridiculous.

NC guns laws look great from a distance, but leave a lot to be desired when you're actually navigating them.

AC

lethal dose
08-08-12, 20:10
I'm in Greenville, SC. 20 minutes from NC with very lax gun laws. The economy is THRIVING here and a large concenteation on m4c members live here. If interested in checking it out, hit me up and I'll show you around. The mountains are BEAUTIFUL!

ridgerunner70
08-08-12, 21:16
Is there alot of hunting areas in the state ? Like here in Missouri we have Mark Twain National forest spread throughout the state....

ridgerunner70
08-08-12, 21:17
I'm in Greenville, SC. 20 minutes from NC with very lax gun laws. The economy is THRIVING here and a large concenteation on m4c members live here. If interested in checking it out, hit me up and I'll show you around. The mountains are BEAUTIFUL!

Is there a plentiful job opportunitys?

lethal dose
08-08-12, 21:32
Lots. What kinda work you guys do?

ridgerunner70
08-08-12, 21:37
I do industrial maintenance work for a lead smelter. Welding, cutting,patching holes in hoppers. Cut and lacing conveyor belts, motor ailignments,changing bearings, trouble shooting,etc.

lethal dose
08-08-12, 21:48
Look around on the WWW. I wouldn't suggest moving until you've really looked somewhere over and have a job lined up.

ridgerunner70
08-08-12, 21:55
Look around on the WWW. I wouldn't suggest moving until you've really looked somewhere over and have a job lined up.

Absolutely.. Thanks

anthony1
08-09-12, 04:07
If you feel it's worth actually moving to then its worth going to visit, preferably for a month if finances permit. Should give you a decent idea anyhow and don't rush into buying, live there for at least a year befor you buy- I got stuck with a house in San Diego for 4 years, at a young age, could have avoided the whole situation if I followed either of the tips I just gave you. Good luck.

chuckman
08-09-12, 08:41
I am in the Triangle (Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill), raised on the coast. PM with any specific questions not already answered.

montanadave
08-09-12, 09:36
Curious. After reading this thread, I have an insatiable craving for salt-cured country ham.