PDA

View Full Version : A few newbie questions

RyanH
08-30-06, 22:04
Hello,

I just signed up and thought I'd drop a thread here to ask a few questions.

I've been lurking here and over at AR15.com for several months now. I can't seem to get an account going over there because they don't like my Yahoo email.

I own a few pistols and a couple of shotguns and I'm looking to buy my first AR in the next few months.

I'm thinking that I'll buy one fully assembled as I don't know a ton about them yet. I've shot several of my friends rifles and attended the Small Arms Firing School at Camp Perry, Ohio this summer.... so I'm slowly learning.

I've been leaning toward a Rock River AR from Centurion Tactical. The price seems reasonable and I like the flexibility that comes with having a rifle custom-built for me. I also like the fact that they take PayPal.

http://www.centuriontactical.com/custom-ar15-16.htm

If there are other places that I can shop for ARs, I'm certainly open to suggestions. If there are people here that build and sell them, feel free to drop me a PM or an email at ryanthehutt@yahoo.com. Replies to this thread would work too.

I'd love to hear about what you have to offer.

I'm sure I'll have many questions in the coming months. Thanks in advance for bearing with me as I get going and up to speed.

-Ryan

baffle Stack
08-31-06, 02:50
BCM or LMT upper. CMT carrier group stalked from Grant of GandRTactical and I'll let someone else with more experience tell you what lower to buy. Oh yeah get a bolt with crane "o" rings too. I would also look into a sling adapter and some handgaurds. CavArms should have everything you need in terms of plastic handgaurds. For rails go Daniel Defence, KMC or LaRue. For slings look at BFG. Their banner is a link to their site.

Robb Jensen
08-31-06, 05:43
RRA are decent guns. I do prefer LMT and the new S&W M&P15 much more though. The LMT and M&P15 (STAG/CMT made) are built more 'correctly', meaning assembled with much better gas key staking, M4 stock nut staking etc. and chrome lined barrels. RRA can come with a chrome lined bbl but it costs extra.

The LMT and M&P15 also has a mil-spec sized receiver extensions so that if you want a Magpul CTR (mil spec size),VLTOR or LMT/Crane SOPMOD stock in the future all you have to buy is the plastic stock body (same diameter tube).

SuicideHz
08-31-06, 10:16
I just followed your link and I would suggest following GotM4s advice. If you HAVE to get an RRA from that company because of the Paypal (which is anti-gun and you shouldn't support them anyway) then make sure you pay the extra $50 for the forged lower and check the radio button for a forged flattop upper. You'll be happier with the flattop upper.

As far as their rear sights, their "flip up" rear sight is an ARMS #40 of some type and at $89, it's not a bad price but if it were me, I might entertain the idea of the standard carry handle for the same price. This will give you a chance to learn and practice using the standard iron sights. If you plan on getting an optic like an Aimpoint or Eotech immediately, the #40 is a good idea as it will work with the optic whereas the carry handle won't.

I'd also suggest their M4 handguards- purely aesthetics though- they help keep the rifle from looking so long and skinny.

I'd leave all the other radio buttons alone.

But like I said, the best thing would be to go with a more "correct" manufacturer. You can't go wrong with CMT, LMT and BCM (Bravo Company) or Smith and Wesson's rifles.

Complete rifles are always a good way to go for warranty reasons. Complete uppers or complete factory lowers carry warranties but in the case of a problem, getting either "side" to admit theirs needs to be fixed could be an issue.

RyanH
08-31-06, 11:46
Thanks for the feedback everyone.:)

I need to spend some time researching this site and others so I can get all of the abbreviations and terminology down. It's still greek to me.

Here's sort of my thinking right now and it is by no means set in stone:

This is going to be my first AR. It will be the rifle that I learn with, take apart and screw around with, make mistakes with, and generally beat the piss out of.

So knowing that, should I go with a manufacturer like Rock River where the consensus seems to be that it is a "middle of the road" type of product? Not cheap and crappy but not top of the line in terms of quality either.

Or should I go "high-end" with a brand like Bushmaster, Colt, or Smith & Wesson and spare no expense on extras?

I have a strong suspicion that this won't be the last AR that I will own. So to get started, do I spend twelve hundred dollars in the next few months or wait a year or so and spend two thousand dollars+ on a high-end rifle? Or am I way off in terms of cost?

Suicidehz:

I was looking at going with the forged, flat-top upper with the intention of adding an Aimpoint or Eotech optic later and a forge lower. I was also looking at the fixed front and rear sights. Thanks for reaffirming my choice. I was thinking about getting a quad rail so I could add a vertical grip. I've fired rifles with and without and the vertical grip is much more comfortable for me.

Also, this rifle will be used for home defense first and formost. It will also be taken to the range as often as I can afford ammunition and I wouldn't rule out using it for competitive shooting at some point. I would likely use it for hunting from time to time as well. I'm (hopefully) not going to be fighting any wars with it. I don't intend to kill any zombies or liberals with it either.

Finally, I'm finishing up my last semester in college and I'm starting a new business. Money is somewhat tight right now and that is a factor in my decision-making process. However, as my disposable income rises I can easily see myself buying or building more ARs in the future.

Seriously, I'm open to suggestions. Any and all are appreciated. I have thick skin. :rolleyes:

-Ryan

M4arc
08-31-06, 12:30
Ryan – I won’t cover what’s already been suggested but I will add that if you’re heart is set on a Rock River Arms then do yourself a favor and have Steve @ ADCO build it for you. IMO he’s one of the best in the business and if I was going to run a RRA it would be one of his.

OH, I'm going to move this to AR Discussions where it will get more visability.