PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Logistics

ForTehNguyen
08-08-12, 21:25
I've been thinking of getting into suppressors. I was planning on going sub caliber route to enable them to be used on as many of my firearms as possible.

For pistol I was thinking of a Silencer Co Osprey in .45 so I dont have to get raised sights. It would be used on my 9mm XD's and if not my Kimber 1911, an XD45.

For rifle I was thinking a .308 suppressor to use on a my Remmy 700 SPS, 300 BLK if I get into that, and of course 5.56mm on my ARs. However are .308/BLK A2 hiders the same dimensions on the outside as 5.56 A2 hiders. I had planned to use suppressors that mount on A2 hiders and my battlecomp 2.0, like a Gemtech Halo. Would be nice if it fits all of them. I shot a 300BLK subsonic suppressed the other day and holy crap is what I have to say.

I also have a GSG 1911. I've noticed that they make a 1/2x28 thread adapter. So would it be possible to use the rifle suppressor for this using an A2 hider, or maybe I could use the Osprey .45 on it.

As you can see I wanted to simplify the logistics as much as I can by minimizing purchases. Any other suggestion on what I might have missed or some flaws with this plan? I really dont want to do the purchase, wait 6 months, and find out I made a mistake.

Renegade
08-08-12, 21:50
Nothing wrong with the plan.

You need to finalize what cans you want and make sure they have adapters for the sub-calibers. I know SilencerCo does. You did not mention what you wanted for 7.62, Halo is 5.56 only.

ForTehNguyen
08-08-12, 22:31
I can lose the Remmy 700 capability if needed. For 300 BLK, im gonna take a stab and say the A2 hider the same outer dimensions for a standard A2. But the trouble is finding an A2 mountable suppressor in .308. I've been looking around and cant seem to find one. If it doesnt then path I probably have to take to use a .308 suppressor on 556 is to get new muzzle devices.

JasonM
08-09-12, 07:59
The Osprey is a great can. With the .45 you gain caliber flexibility at the cost of size. One note though- you'll need high sights to clear the can. The Osprey occludes the stock sights on most popular guns- sig, glock, M&P, the XD.

What 30 cal can do you want that mounts on A2s?

The best rifle cans are thread on or use each manufacturer's proprietary mounts.

Neither the Osprey or most rifle cans are user serviceable. So, it's a bad idea to shoot .22 through them. You are MUCH better off in the long run getting a top .22 can for that use- Sparrow, Element, Spectre, etc.

If you are dead set on using the pistol can for everything, then get a user-serviceable one like a Ti-RANT.

rjacobs
08-09-12, 08:52
I would skip any kind of a2 flash hider mounted cans. I did a ton of research and most everything I read said that there are basically no A2's that are the same size or shape.

You could get a thread on can for 5/8x24(for .308 barrels) and then you can get a 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapter for the AR15's. But I dont recommend this route because IMO that adapter could cause issues if not done correctly. There are a lot of people who will use the thread adapters to go from a 9mm pistol to a .45 can, and I plan to do that with my TiRant 45, but on a rifle I think it could be a bad idea. Maybe somebody else could chime in on that.

OR do it the right way IMO and get a QD can and pony up for all of the adapters. I have an AAC 762SDN-6 in process now and I am going to have to buy 3 adapters(5.56 SBR, .308 Rem700, LMT MWS) and my .300 blackout upper from AAC already has one attached to it. Yes it adds cost, but I think its a superior setup to a thread on can or a flash hider mount can.

Now if I was going to be strictly shooting a bolt gun I would not get a QD can, I would get a thread on like a Thunder Beast.

As far as the pistol cans I went back and forth on the Osprey or the TiRant and settled on the TiRant because its user serviceable and I plan to shoot lead through it(.45 and .22lr).

ForTehNguyen
08-09-12, 20:31
thanks for the heads up on the non serviceability that is a pretty big deal for me. Gotta go back to the drawing board and do some more research

ForTehNguyen
08-11-12, 09:55
Did some more thinking and looking and leaning towards a TiRant .45 for use on .22LR, 9mm, and .45ACP with a 762-SDN-6 for .308, .300BLK, 5.56mm.

They make a GSG 1911 thread adapter for 1/2x28 which is the same as the TiRant 9mm piston I would have to also get. The thread pitch is the same so there are no problems using that 9mm piston to run on the GSG 1911? The muzzle devices I was looking at for my ARs would be the AAC Brakeout 51 Comp

I originally thought of going a dedicated 22LR suppressor in addition to the TiRant and SDN but since the Tirant is serviceable, I dont see the point unless to get the weight of a .22 suppressor. I also wanted to get an XD45 to shoot suppressed instead of my 1911. So for the price of a .22 suppressor I could get an XD45. The 9mm I would also be shooting is also an XD.

Do I have to change out springs, buffers, etc for any of my guns for them to run suppressed? The only rifle I have any adjust-ability on is my ACR which has a suppressed setting. My uppers are 16" midlengths with H buffers