PDA

View Full Version : Petition on behalf of MAJ Richard D. Winters

jbour13
01-27-08, 15:46
I don't post much but felt this was a good enough reason to break out.

Ladies and Gents MAJ Richard "Dick" Winters (Band of Brothers) turned 90 on Jan 21st. There is a petition to upgrade his DSC to the CMOH. I found this at Blackfive and the link to the petition is here.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Winters/petition.html

If you believe this humble and deserving man should receive the CMOH then please petition. He is in his twilight years and this medal is not only a representation of his character, but that of his men. It means more to him that his men receive the accolades that are due to them and all of that "Greatest Generation" than himself.

Mods/Admins: If you feel that this is an inappropriate place to post or inappropriate, please remove.

ThirdWatcher
01-27-08, 17:53
Thank you for the link. I believe Major Dick Winters' picture should be in the dictionary next to the word "leader".

Of course it could get a little crowded when LTG Hal Moore's picture is added (among others). We truly have been blessed with some great leaders in the history of our country.

Neville
01-28-08, 00:55
Don't know if foreigners can sign the petition too, but my very definition of "hero" is met in an officer who cares so much for his men that he will not follow suicidal commands- like the raid across the Rhine twice the same night. My grandfather fought in Africa as a German paratrooper and, while watching this episode of Band of Brothers, said that he hardly encountered officers of this quality. For example Rommel wasn't that popular among his men because he liked to risk their lives for his own fame.

m4fun
01-28-08, 20:17
This is a worthy one!

Safetyhit
01-28-08, 20:37
Was happy to sign. He deserves the honor.

Razoreye
01-29-08, 14:12
I believe he's received all the honor already. It makes me sick to think it takes a movie to motivate people to try to do this... leave those decisions to the military. Don't take away from those who have been awarded the CMOH.

/rant

The Archangel
01-29-08, 14:23
I don't post much but felt this was a good enough.

Hey brother, we exchanged a few replies on PS concerning the PWS/LWRC.

I'd be happy to sign the petition for a fellow trooper. :)

Deadduck
01-30-08, 09:29
I'm a big WWII history buff. I've read all of Steven Ambrose's work several of which include information on Maj. Winters. I've met and talked to Dr. Ambrose in New Orleans before his death. I have a family member who is a supporter of the D-Day musem in New Orleans, and I've assisted some WWII vets in submitting oral histories to the Musem.

I've also read Maj. Winter's book, "Beyond Band of Brothers", which tells his story firsthand, and have seen several documentaries on him, so I'm pretty familiar with his life and war record. He has exhibited leadership in his life since the war as well. He is certainly deserving of all accolades we can give him, and has enjoyed some celebrity status in the last few years due to the exposure given him by Dr. Ambrose and by Steven Spielburg and Tom Hanks in their mini-series adaptation of his book, Band of Brothers.

I have a book about MOH winners, "Ordinary Heros". If you look at the citations at the end of the book, it describes the actions which led to their being awarded the medal. It is simply amazing the valor and courage some of these guys displayed.

Winters certainly displayed valor, courage, and leadership. Winters and his company certainly were at the forefront of many of the most critical battles of the war: taking the guns at Breacourt Manor on D-Day, taking Carentaan, fighting in the hedgrows, routing two companies of SS troops in Holland, holding Bastogne under the worst possible conditions, clearing out Foy and reclaiming the Bulge, and taking the Eagle's Nest at the end of the war. His leadership made his company and later his battalion the best of the best. I believe Winters and the paratroopers that served under him were some of the best troops ever fielded by any army in history.

Let me say that I've not served in the military. Many of my family, including my grandad and dad did. I tried, but a dirt bike crash as a teenager crushed my right leg, leaving me partially disabled and unable to serve. But I have the highest regard for our current military and veterans.

Edited to add: I've been doing some more research the awarding of the MOH, and feel that Maj. Richard D. Winters certainly meets the criteria to be considered for the MOH. If he had been a West Point graduate, he probably would have been awarded it. I'm going to sign the petition now.
Thanks.

CarlosDJackal
01-30-08, 14:06
There are instances where Aviators have been awarded the MOH just because they destroyed a SAM site in the course of their mission over North Vietnam. Not to diminish what these brave men did, but if those individuals are deemed to have displayed enough courage as to even merit recommendation - then Major Winters deserve the very same honor.

If there as you say, a MOH has to be considered based on a single action; then "Brecourt Manor" has to be one such action. JM2CW.

Deadduck
01-30-08, 14:49
There are instances where Aviators have been awarded the MOH just because they destroyed a SAM site in the course of their mission over North Vietnam. Not to diminish what these brave men did, but if those individuals are deemed to have displayed enough courage as to even merit recommendation - then Major Winters deserve the very same honor.

If there as you say, a MOH has to be considered based on a single action; then "Brecourt Manor" has to be one such action. JM2CW.

You're right. I've been reading some more on MOH awardees and their actions, and see that it has been awarded to high ranking Air Force commanders for planning bombing missions and the like. Certainly then, Maj. Richard Winters deserves this honor. By leading from the front, he inspired his men and accomplished many important objective which were crucial to winning the war.

Therefore, I withdraw my earlier comments of reservations and will now sign the petition.
God Bless You, Maj. Winters, and thank you for your service to our country. Thanks jbour13 for posting the link.

My comments when I signed the petition...

Maj. Winters is a true leader who, by leading from the front, inspired his men to achieve greatness. Had he been a West Point graduate, he no doubt would have been awarded the MOH for his actions at Brecourt Manor on D-day. Many minority DSC recipients were belatedly awarded the MOH in the 90's. I think it is only appropriate that Maj. Winters DSC should be upgraded to the MOH. I can think of no more heroic leader.

graffex
01-30-08, 17:07
+1 for MAJ. Winters

Should have gotten it a long time ago...

Voodoochild
01-30-08, 18:41
Done and forwarded.

Bama1983
01-30-08, 19:48
Who was awarded the MOH for destroying a SAM site in Vietnam? I don't remember reading about anyone who was awarded the MOH for that.

jbour13
03-15-08, 15:30
Bump

We are over 27,000

Take a look and petition if you see fit.

Codename46
03-15-08, 17:11
I think I signed this petition 4 years ago when I was working with the site devs at mdw.com

Detective_D
03-15-08, 19:40
Gladly added my signature to the list.

jbour13
03-18-08, 20:15
I think I signed this petition 4 years ago when I was working with the site devs at mdw.com

Good to know info. I'm trying (in vain) to track the originator of this petition down. I want to get this some airtime and see if we can get it off the ground again.

My hopes are for it to hit the halls of Congress and get out of the shadows of their precious pet projects.

zenmastar
03-18-08, 22:53
At the risk of sounding rude, CMOH nomination process should not be turned into the equivalent of MLB's all-star team where fans get a vote. I believe the current nomination process by the military and congress works. I do not think we should second guess the validity of past awards, explicitly or implicitly. They are all heroes including Richard Winters.