PDA

View Full Version : Newb help please!

Millerw289
08-09-12, 08:43
So I broke down and bought my first AR-15...now i'm addicted. LOL. I want to build my next one but really have no idea where to start. I have searched the internet and found some good stickies on the subject. But my problem is I don't know anything about any of the brands. I don't know what's top of the line and what's bottom barrel. I just don't know. I want to build the entire thing so a complete lower is out of the question. Name brand information would be much appreciated.

sammage
08-09-12, 08:47
Have you read any of the stickies? There's quite a bit of knowledge in them. Measure twice, cut once and all that.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

C4IGrant
08-09-12, 09:34
So I broke down and bought my first AR-15...now i'm addicted. LOL. I want to build my next one but really have no idea where to start. I have searched the internet and found some good stickies on the subject. But my problem is I don't know anything about any of the brands. I don't know what's top of the line and what's bottom barrel. I just don't know. I want to build the entire thing so a complete lower is out of the question. Name brand information would be much appreciated.

First, do you have any knowledge regarding how to PROPERLY assemble an AR? If no, then I would pass on building one from scratch until you get some education on the subject.

C4

JW5219
08-09-12, 10:14
First, do you have any knowledge regarding how to PROPERLY assemble an AR? If no, then I would pass on building one from scratch until you get some education on the subject.

C4

+1 on this!!!

Millerw289
08-09-12, 15:44

C4

There is a ton of information on the Internet and books available for reference. I happen to know a gunsmith or two as well. I would just like some information on brand names and not someone worrying about my abilities to assemble a rifle. A appreciate the concern but I would like to stay on topic of my original thread. Thanks.

C4IGrant
08-09-12, 15:57
There is a ton of information on the Internet and books available for reference. I happen to know a gunsmith or two as well. I would just like some information on brand names and not someone worrying about my abilities to assemble a rifle. A appreciate the concern but I would like to stay on topic of my original thread. Thanks.

Much of the info on the net is "ok" at best and even if it was stellar, there is a difference between someone watching over your shoulder and you looking at pics.

It’s the same thing with learning how to shoot. You cannot learn to shoot via a book, video or discussion.

So if you have a KNOWN (quality) AR armorer or gunsmith, I would ask them to help (as you will learn the most that way). Keep in mind that many professional gunsmiths have one key area that they specialize in and that might NOT be AR's. So make sure to check their knowledge on THIS firearm.

The reason why I posted this is because I see TONS of incorrectly built AR's. I also see people destroy expensive parts because they don't know what they are doing. So I am actually trying to save YOU from YOU. ;)

Tools, do you have all the needed ones for the build???

With that out of the way, what do you mean by "brand names?" Are we talking about Colt, BCM, DD OR the companies that actually make the parts for these companies (note, all of the companies listed do make certain things in house).

C4

Millerw289
08-09-12, 16:22
Well...C4IGrant, thank you for clarifying your original post/thought. I guess I don't know what I'm getting myself into. I really do appreciate your honesty. I just love to tinker and I think an AR build would be right up my alley.

As far as my original question, I guess I really don't know. I hear a ton about quality AR's but don't know anything about quality parts to build one.

I am wanting to end up with something with the quality of a Colt. Don't know what manufacturers this would include. I don't want to finish a build and have it be a piece of crap. I don't need all top of the line parts but don't want to waste my money either.

C4IGrant
08-09-12, 19:55
Well...C4IGrant, thank you for clarifying your original post/thought. I guess I don't know what I'm getting myself into. I really do appreciate your honesty. I just love to tinker and I think an AR build would be right up my alley.

As far as my original question, I guess I really don't know. I hear a ton about quality AR's but don't know anything about quality parts to build one.

I am wanting to end up with something with the quality of a Colt. Don't know what manufacturers this would include. I don't want to finish a build and have it be a piece of crap. I don't need all top of the line parts but don't want to waste my money either.

Well to be honest, you have no idea about any of this stuff and would most likely screw yourself (in many different ways).

In regards to quality parts, most companies like DD, Colt and BCM do not offer any of the parts they use "loose" as they need them for their complete guns and uppers. IMHO, what parts that are out there I generally wouldn't use for a build.

Lastly, the only way to get Colt quality parts is to buy Colt parts. ;)

C4

halo2304
08-09-12, 20:35
New AR owner + build = :suicide:

Yes, an AR can be built, but not every monkey with a wrench and a dream SHOULD build. (The main reason why I haven't built an upper.)

With so many offerings from quality manufacturers, I see little reason to build a complete carbine.

If you really, and I mean REALLY want to build something, start with a stripped lower. While there's still the potential to 'F' something up, I think the lower is the most forgiving and with the exception of the trigger guard ears, you kinda have to want to 'F' it up.

If I were you (hell, I WAS you at one time,) I'd start by doing small mods to my current gun. Assuming you haven't already done so.

Millerw289
08-09-12, 21:32
I thank you guys very much. Every other forum I have been too make it sound like if you DON'T build your own, then it is crap. I have posted in other areas about buying my first and I was told to build one first and then go buy one. I appreciate the honesty guys.

I really am only interested in building the lower. I was going to get a complete upper. Just a FYI.

nineteenkilo
08-10-12, 06:19
I thank you guys very much. Every other forum I have been too make it sound like if you DON'T build your own, then it is crap. I have posted in other areas about buying my first and I was told to build one first and then go buy one. I appreciate the honesty guys.

I really am only interested in building the lower. I was going to get a complete upper. Just a FYI.

You'll find a tremendously helpful and brutally honest crowd around here. The lower sounds like a good start and I wish you the best of luck with it.

As to the rest, I personally believe it takes a moderate amount of trigger time to fully appreciate the fit and function of ANY firearm design. Only when you've spent time behind the weapon will you know what you want it to do in the future.

clmarshall21
08-10-12, 08:02
You'll find a tremendously helpful and brutally honest crowd around here.

This is an understatement ;) Take what these guys are saying and also do some more searching around M4C and you will find a plentiful amount of info pertaining to the quality components you are looking for. Quality components have many different "brand names" on them and come in at many different price points. Perhaps stating your budget and purpose for the rifle could help these guys give you some more specific responses to your question.

FWIW, I assembled the lower on my first custom AR but left the assembly of the upper to professionals. I knew that my lack of proper tools would have left me with a group of quality parts assembled into a questionable upper overall. Many of the reputable places that will do assemblies for you will back up their work.