PDA

View Full Version : M&P FS, Pro and G34

MP9
08-09-12, 09:10
Hi guys..

I own m&p FS 9.. and have been using it for IDPA and sometimes USPSA. It has the apex hard sear and USB.. the trigger is around 3.8 - 4.2..it is very good but the reset...

I own a g19 too.. sometimes I think I shoot the glock 19 gen4 better than the mp. in the last months I have been more into the "game" so I have been thinking about buying a g34 or m&p Pro

but is there any good advantage with the long slide/ 5" barrel of the PRO/g34? at IDPA we usually shoot at 7 -15 yards.. sometimes 20 and almost never 25..

but what about the recoil/muzzle flip with the m&p PRO or g34..? is there any advantage with the "5 barrel?

I have read that the advantage of the Pro is a better stock trigger but as I already have the apex parts,I dont know if it worth getting the pro o glock 34...

the good think about the g34 is it is ready out the box..good trigger, reset, you only have to change the sights and it is not as complicated as it is with the m&p..

but then again I dont know if it (g34) has any good advantage over the FS...

the reason I think about the g34 is with the m&p I have been fighting the grip for rapid fire...while with the glock 19 doing rapid fire the front size rise and come back on target ready to pull the trigger again..my support hand fit the left side of the grip very good/very flat and I feel a better control than with the m&p, with it the front size usually is a little bit to the left so the follow shots go to the left.

any advice?

thanks

plouffedaddy
08-09-12, 09:52
but is there any good advantage with the long slide/ 5" barrel of the PRO/g34?

Yes, the longer sight radius does help. There's a reason you don't see many pro shooters using the G19 in competition (that said, the shooter is much more important than the gun).

I have read that the advantage of the Pro is a better stock trigger but as I already have the apex parts,I dont know if it worth getting the pro o glock 34...

I have a Pro and a M&P with Apex kit. The Apex set up is better than the stock Pro IMO.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0900.jpg

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0823.jpg

JW5219
08-09-12, 10:12
I have an M&P Pro Series 9mm and the trigger is the biggest POS I have ever felt on a gun, bar none. Plus, I think the sights that come on it leave a lot to be desired too. If I decide to keep it, I'll be going with the Apex kit and replacing the sights, but i'm just not sure I like it enough to spend the extra couple hundred on it. It "auto-forwards" on me about half the time, which is annoying as hell . I'd go with the Glock 34 . Good luck!

PA PATRIOT
08-09-12, 10:40
I run a G-34 a early 3rd Gen model and the only change I made was to add a extra power trigger spring for faster reset, a Hogue rubber grip and a decent set of sights and she has been go to go.

okie john
08-09-12, 12:06
It sounds like your G19 is doing pretty much what you want a match gun to do, so I think the G34 might be the better way to go. But you really need to decide for yourself. Most match shooters are glad to talk about their gear, so a your next match, find someone with a G34 and ask them about it. They'll probably offer to let you shoot it.

Okie John

TomMcC
08-09-12, 12:07
It really comes down to ergonomics for me. I have shot both and to me neither has a particularly good trigger. I prefer the M&P because of fit. I have a FS, but if I could have scored a 5" here in CA. I would have jumped all over that. The advantages of a 5", more sight radius, more velocity, you can tailor your loads for power factor easier with a bit more barrel.

JonInWA
08-10-12, 08:26
I've done very well (by my standards, with my skill set) with my G19 in IDPA and GSSF. But then in 2 consecutive matchs earlier this year I posted my all-time lowest scores with my G34...So I'd have to say that my G34 is my reigning "go to" gun for IDPA-but I'm certainly not divesting myself of my G19s, nor necessarily giving up on using them in IDPA-but I do seem to do better, more easily, with the G34.

I will also stipulate that the Warren Tactical sights on the G34 were a bit help, and a significant factor in my G34 success. I run the G34 with the OEM "minus" connector and a NY1 spring.

Best, Jon

HuttoAg96
08-10-12, 09:04
I have been shooting IDPA for about a year and a half with an M&P FS, and I just switched over to a 5" M&P. I immediately put my Apex kit in the M&P Pro when I got it, as it was still better than the "Pro" trigger but a good bit.

The sight radius helps even at 10-15 yards as it allows you a sloppier sight picture (read:faster) to get your 0/a-zone hits. I'll note that shooting 125-130 PF reloads, I had to get a 13# recoil spring as the stock 16# spring was cycling the slide too slow and soft.

There is certainly NOTHING wrong with the Glocks, so try both out and see which one you like the best. Most of the production class shooters right now are either using an M&P or a Glock at this point.

Rayrevolver
08-10-12, 12:18
Anyone do splits of a G19 vs G34 and 9FS vs 9Pro?

I have been shooting a box stock 9Pro (AE 124gr) in IDPA for 2 years and one weekend decided to shoot a Steyr M9-A1 (used WWB 115gr though).

It was immediately apparent that Steyr cycled a lot faster than the Pro. I felt like I was able to shoot much faster shot-to-shot. The Steyr is G19 sized.

Now to the big question: Do you need to run the light recoil spring to maximize the benefits of a long slide with factory ammo?

I thought you ran the lighter springs to account for the powder puff ammo?

Magsz
08-10-12, 20:45
Anyone do splits of a G19 vs G34 and 9FS vs 9Pro?

I have been shooting a box stock 9Pro (AE 124gr) in IDPA for 2 years and one weekend decided to shoot a Steyr M9-A1 (used WWB 115gr though).

It was immediately apparent that Steyr cycled a lot faster than the Pro. I felt like I was able to shoot much faster shot-to-shot. The Steyr is G19 sized.

Now to the big question: Do you need to run the light recoil spring to maximize the benefits of a long slide with factory ammo?

I thought you ran the lighter springs to account for the powder puff ammo?

Splits dont mean very much as they are NOT a good test of how a handgun handles unless you're running bill drills.

In MY opinion, there are two and a half differences between the G19 and a G34.

1. The G34 will allow you to download your ammo further and still make power factor due to the longer barrel.

2. The G34 will have less RECOIL. The gun simply doesnt thump the hand as hard as the G19.

2.5 The G19's slide cycles faster but you feel this in your hands. Slide velocity is VERY much a personal preference. Some people like a snap, some people like a kerklunk. This difference is really only apparent with factory ammo. Once you start rolling your own you will tune your spring weight to your load thus creating an optimal slide velocity.

silvery37
08-10-12, 22:44
At least in idpa the power factor is irrelevant as far as different barrel lengths. If the ammo makes power factor out of the longest legal barrel for that division it can be shot in any gun. For example if the ammo makes power factor out of a five inch barrel the same ammo can be shot in a g19 even if it doesn't have enough velocity to make the power factor.

Rayrevolver
08-16-12, 20:31
To the OP, I just traded my M&P9Pro for a G34. I feel like I shot the 9Pro OK but I expected to be more competent with it after 4300 rounds. I know, its easy to blame the pistol, but I pick up random Glocks and immediately feel more comfortable them shooting fast.

Magsz - I am not planning to reload and plan to shoot either WWB or AE. I will shoot the G34 with a G26 and Steyr and try to make some assessments. I might even learn something.

And I should just shoot the G26 during IDPA. Its easy to get caught up in the standings/rankings.

Rayrevolver
08-24-12, 20:00
OP: You still thinking about a 9Pro 5" vs G34?

Shot a G34 today. One thing I noticed was that it had more felt recoil and muzzle rise compared to the 9Pro 5". I shot both WWB 115gr and AE 124gr.

I wonder if that has to do with the G34 being lighter with that slide cutout (and machined grooves inside the slide) than a 5" M&P?

Anywho, I can't wait to run the G34 in IDPA. Should be fun.

If you go with the M&P, consider getting a Burwell Trigger job instead of buying parts. The local guys here have his trigger job and it is very nice.

MP9
09-16-12, 17:57
Thanks for the replies.

I feel the g19 gen4 is more snappy than the m&p9 FS...

today I rented the g34 gen3 and shoot it side with my m&p FS (they didnt have the m&p pro for rent :s) I shoot factory ammo 115 and 124gr..

I didnt feel any big difference in muzzle flip/recoil ( I know this could be subjective) for rapid fire and follow through. maybe with the m&p I feel just a little more snap but minimal, no that much to spend 600+ in a g34 + FO sights + extra mags...

I would like to know your thoughts, maybe it is just me...

the next thing I would do is install FO sights and shoot reloads...

Magsz
09-16-12, 21:46
M&P's flex less than Glocks.

M&P's generally flip less than Glocks but recoil is sharper on the M&P in my opinion, at least comparing a generation 4 gun to standard M&P's with the factory recoil spring.

Rayrevolver
09-20-12, 09:49
Thanks for the replies.

I feel the g19 gen4 is more snappy than the m&p9 FS...

today I rented the g34 gen3 and shoot it side with my m&p FS (they didnt have the m&p pro for rent :s) I shoot factory ammo 115 and 124gr..

I didnt feel any big difference in muzzle flip/recoil ( I know this could be subjective) for rapid fire and follow through. maybe with the m&p I feel just a little more snap but minimal, no that much to spend 600+ in a g34 + FO sights + extra mags...

I would like to know your thoughts, maybe it is just me...

the next thing I would do is install FO sights and shoot reloads...

I never shot them side by side, but the Pro seems to shoot a lot softer than the G34. Also much less flip.

There is a good deal on a new Pro in the EE, comes with Apex parts. G&R has the 9L in stock. The Pro has 0.3oz heavier slide that a 9L, I am not sure why they made these 2 models and if you could tell the difference with the slides.

denn1911
09-20-12, 11:33
I usually shoot either a Glock 17 or a M&P45 in matches. However, I have a G34 and a M&P9 Pro. The last several 3 Gun matches, I've run either the G17 or the Pro, trying to figure which one I like best. They are both accurate and fast to make hits with, but the Pro does feel a little softer. You can't go wrong with either. I am going to run drills on the clock and see if there is one clear winner for me.