PDA

View Full Version : Functional Gun Produced Using a 3-D Printer

montanadave
08-09-12, 11:23
According to an article on the ExtremeTech website (http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/133514-the-worlds-first-3d-printed-gun), a gunsmith named Michael Guslick has reportedly produced a functioning plastic/resin AR-15 lower which he coupled with a conventional .22 cal. upper receiver. And the equipment he used is reportedly nothing special or unique.

I can't recall if there is a prohibition here regarding posting links to TOS, but Guslick (screen name HaveBlue) started a thread over there (with more pics) which can be linked from the ExtremeTech website article cited above.

Strange days, indeed.

And a whole swarm of headaches for the powers that be as this kind of technology is perfected and more widely distributed.

chadbag
08-09-12, 12:41
There is nothing illegal about making a gun for yourself. You cannot sell it or anything but you can legally make yourself a firearm. (Must abide by rules like any AWB/NFA etc).

I know a guy who has a 3D printer and we talked about doing just that -- making an AR lower from polymer using it. We did nothing but talk but it is possible.

I did not read the link MD posted, but he did NOT create a fully functional firearm using 3D printing based on what MD said about it. He only produced PART of a fully functional gun and used standard parts for the rest. Of course, to the ATF, the lower is the gun but that is not what a person thinks of reading the headline.

--

Shawn.L
08-09-12, 13:09
I have a friend that peinted a lower last year, kinda a novelty, not sure he ever built on it I think its just for a wall hanging/bookend piece .

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-09-12, 13:15
Addative manufacturing is really interesting. A lower seem rather simple to make.

Can't wait for the next Bond movie, they'll have the bad guy carry onto a plane a computer and a printer and make a gun. ;)