PDA

View Full Version : Barrel and Optic advice need.

Loupis
08-09-12, 11:38
Hey everyone new member here wanted to say hello. So awhile ago I sold my Stag 2t and am starting to miss it. This time around I'm building my own instead of buying. I'm looking at a Rainer arms ultra match 18" barrel with 1x8 twist cause I was told it will shoot the widest variety of ammo well. Just wondering on feedback for that barrel or other brands. This rifle will be for hunting and tack driving. Also the optic I'm looking at is the SWFA 3x9 ss. Any help or suggestions would be great thanks.

Noodles
08-09-12, 17:28
So awhile ago I sold my Stag 2t and am starting to miss it.

Don't. You almost certainly did yourself a favor.

This time around I'm building my own instead of buying.

Why? ... Really. I've found that unless you need something special or you are an experience AR owner/operator/armorer then you are probably not going to save any money over buying one. At all. Quite the opposite in fact. Unless you need something absolutely special, buy something from Colt, Noveske, DD, BCM, LMT, KAC, or maybe a couple others and have a rifle that works Day1 - No Dicking. If you like to tinker have no defined budget, go right ahead and start building. Know that parts availability sucks right now and is only going to get worse before the election.

I'm looking at a Rainer arms ultra match 18" barrel with 1x8 twist cause I was told it will shoot the widest variety of ammo well.

With 77gr ammo, the difference between an 18" rifle length and a 16" midlength is going to be right at or about 50-75fps difference. What is it you think an 18" will do that a 16" will not? I ask because 16" is a lot more common and imo useful. Personally I would do 16" or 20". Noveske quickly talked me out of an 18" way back when and I think that was the correct decision. I like 1:8 for 16"+, it will offer a wide selection of ammo, that's correct.

Rainier barrels are fine. But if you're asking these questions, you're probably not up to building an AR efficiently. No offense or anything, I wish someone would have spelled that out for me when I built my first AR.

The SS 3x9 is a nice scope but lacks zero stop and illumination which are not required by any means, but are available on other scopes. Personally I like the reticule, but wish they would update it to have illumination and their HD glass.

For what it's worth, this is not exactly a technical discussion.

wahoo95
08-09-12, 17:37
RA Ultra Match barrels are very nice and will serve you well. Combined with the SS scope and a good BCG you should have a solid set up. Good luck with your build....lemme know if you need any assistance or have additional questions.

Blame any misspellings on Tapatalk

Loupis
08-09-12, 19:40
Well thanks for the advice. Im building because im going for a certain look i already have a troy 15" rail and will be adding a magpul prs stock to the rifle i like the idea of the 18 inch because i plan on using a bipod to shoot across my Fields so weight and length are not an issue. i realize it maybe cheaper to buy a complete upper but im in no rush and have everything but the optic and barrel at this point. some of my fields span a 1000yrds+ id like to be able to see if i can wack man sized targets. is the trijicon accupoint that much better of and optic for the extra cash?

Also could anyone maybe explain the pro of a rifle length gas tube over a mid on a 18" barrel?

Noodles
08-10-12, 12:49
im going for a certain look

i already have a troy 15" rail

adding a magpul prs stock

i like the idea of the 18 inch

so weight and length are not an issue.

In this order... I can't really fault you for going for a 'look' because a lot of us end up doing that. But the better designs are the ones that are functional first. There are a lot of people that like the troy rails, but their attachment is not the best and at 15" with a bipod on the very end you may be getting a LOT of flex. The PRS stock looks cool, no doubt, and on non-AR guns I like it, add the AR charging handle and relatively light weight of the AR and I personally hate it. I like the "IDEA" of a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they are practical. Noveske stopped selling their 18" rifle length because as it was told to me, nothing but problems. I would suggest you look at what 18" is getting you (50-75fps) and see if that's really worth 2" extra, if you do get 18" I'd recommend Intermediate length or midlength.

I know you may think weight and length are not an issue, but you couldn't be more wrong. They are always an issue even on bench guns. Swinging, moving, adjusting, and even just how you feel about that gun, if it's a piggy, you'll know it and if someone has a gun that's pounds lighter but hitting all the same targets, what are you getting for all your weight?

some of my fields span a 1000yrds+ id like to be able to see if i can wack man sized targets.

1000y is REALLY ****ING FAR for 556. Beyond 600 you had really better know your wind and be hand rolling 77gr ammo. It sounds to me that you actually want a 308 bolt rifle, but that's just my guess.

trijicon accupoint [vs SS 3x9]
Neither of these scopes is going to get you 1000y. But that's ok because neither is 556 almost certainly. Of the two, SS 3x9 hands down.

Also could anyone maybe explain the pro of a rifle length gas tube over a mid on a 18" barrel?

The longer the gas system the less chamber pressure at the moment of unlock. The dwell time after the shot is longer and this can effect suppressed shooting, recoil impulse, and cyclic rate. None of this will likely be all that perceivable to you without back to back comparing the exact two setups. Rifle length is supposed to be more reliable, but Noveske moved from 18" rifle to 18" intermediate and I suspect this was not accidental. 16" mid or 20" rifle if it were me.

You don't want this opinion, but here it is: dump the Troy rail, dump the PRS, dump the 18". And on those lines, if you're looking at the rainier barrel I assume you are on a budget, I would look up threads for budget Recce builds. Going to serve you a ton better than a super heavy 18" rifle frankenbuild. I'd also suggest a Mk12 style gun but don't get sucked into the perfectionist clone builds, those are dumb considering when Crane developed it they were limited to specific parts during the time, there are better options for some parts now.

One last unsolicited piece of advice. If you're looking through picture threads on this and the other site, remember that the cooler something looks - without fail - the heavier it is. If it looks really cool, it's probably stupid heavy and impractical.

Loupis
08-10-12, 13:18
Well if your were gonna go with a 16" barrel for a Reece build any recommendations? I'll probably keep the try rail cause I just like it and my friends run shorter versions with out issue. Also I figured the 365 for the Rainer barrel would get me a decent product. I have no budget for this rifle.

justin_247
08-10-12, 14:29
Do a Google search - just copy and paste the following links:
site:m4carbine.net ultramatch
site:m4carbine.net stainless barrels
site:m4carbine.net accupoint
site:m4carbine.net swfa

Lots of info out there.

Noodles
08-10-12, 16:53
Well if your were gonna go with a 16" barrel for a Reece build any recommendations? I'll probably keep the try rail cause I just like it and my friends run shorter versions with out issue. Also I figured the 365 for the Rainer barrel would get me a decent product. I have no budget for this rifle.

Very few people have complained about their Noveske barrels. I have no experience with the Rainier (Kreiger? or someone like that) so I'm not sure. Probably plenty fine considering Rainier's other products and reputation.

I would suggest you make a budget for your build asap. You may finish, add it all up, and fine out you're in over the cost of a proper Mk12 clone or over a Noveske factory Recce, or whatever and instead you have a money pit that may or may not need parts, labor, or have ongoing issues. If you're trying to do something for a purpose great, but plenty of people have built then later decided to buy.

Loupis
08-10-12, 17:36
so After hanging out with a buddy today who told me he was getting a divorce and sold me his m&p ar cheap. I did a complete 360 on the barrel and ordered a WOA 20" dmr for my build. i figure ill mod the m&p for close and my new for far

wahoo95
08-10-12, 17:40
WOA DMR barrel is a good one. I had one and it was scary accurate with my handloads

Blame any misspellings on Tapatalk