PDA

View Full Version : My Aimpoint Review of the M4 and T1

Robb Jensen
01-27-08, 16:33
My Aimpoint Review

A few months back, Aimpoint sent me an Aimpoint M4 and an Aimpoint T1 for test and evaluation (T&E). This is my review of both products.

The M4 is Aimpoint’s new full size military grade red dot optic. The CompM4 is now the latest version of the US Army’s M68 CCO. It has a removable integral mount. It uses the very common commercially available AA battery. This is especially good for military personnel that are issued AA batteries anyway for things like night vision goggles. Also good for everyone else because AA batteries are as close at your local 'stop and rob'. The battery life can be up to 80K hours, so you won't really need but 1 spare battery.

I replaced the factory installed two-piece twist mount with a LaRue mount (LaRue part #LT659) which is made specifically for the Aimpoint M4. I have the tall version and used blue Loc-tite on the screws, per the instructions. The factory mount is decent, but what I disliked about it is the huge twist knob on the left side of the rifle. I find that this huge knob when doing transitions to handgun, the factory M4 mount got hung up on the mags in my chest rig, and makes the rifle bounce around unpredictably. The M4 is a well thought out design and built like a tank. The adjustment turrets are protected by reinforcement integral ridges in the body of the optic.

Including a mount with the optic is smart. It makes the system rigid, not allowing any shifting optic within its mount, which could happen if someone were to drop a weapon on the optic with a M3. The smaller the chances are for movement, the better. The optic has sixteen brightness settings. This is six more than the M3. I also find for some reason that the dot appears clearer and more “in focus” for me, than with some earlier Aimpoint optics. I have 20/20 corrected vision so I'm not sure why this is noticeable. My M2 and C3 appear a bit fuzzier for some reason and a slightly different shade of red. I've used the M4 on my 16" Colt 6721/6920, and on my competition 3gun rifle. The optic is very fast and due to its extremely long battery life there is simply no reason to ever really turn it off completely. The M4 has a 2MOA dot which I find ideal for possible use with a magnifier or night vision device used behind it. The LaRue mount is an excellent addition to the M4 and I think should be a factory option. Once properly adjusted the mount returns to zero very well, I've noticed no shift in zero removing it probably 30 times. The M4 comes with a killflash and rubber bikini style lens covers. I never installed the rubber cover but did install a brand new set of Aimpoint brand lens covers (a set retails for roughly $30). I find that this size optic is best used on a 14.5-16" or larger AR. I shot 1200 rounds between the two rifles using this optic. This is an excellent optic for anyone needing a red dot optic on a M4 type carbine. The M4 retails for around $700

My 3gun rifle with the Aimpoint M4.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/3gunrifleaimpointM4.jpg

My Colt 6721/6920 with the Aimpoint M4.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/PWS001.jpg

The T1 Aimpoint is another great new product by Aimpoint. It's a very small, very well-designed 4MOA red dot sight. It's also very light, weighing less than 4ozs. It uses the coin-size commercial battery CR2032. These are also pretty easy to find at hardware stores and drug stores. My vehicle keyless entry remotes use these batteries, so these are something I always have on hand. The T1, H1 and R1 are all from the same family of micro sights by Aimpoint.

The T1 has 12 brightness settings which are 2 more than even the much larger M3. The T1 has the protective coatings on the lenses to protect night vision devices that might be used behind it (these coatings aren't on the H1 and R1). It also has a very tough non-glare flat black external finish. The factory mount is simple and very low. It is so low that if used on an AK or M1a, with an UltiMak optic rail, you can get a very nice co-witness of the iron sights. The battery life of the T1 is an excellent 50K hours, like the M4, so long a battery life that there is no reason to ever turn it off.

The T1 is very versatile. It can be used on shotguns, handguns, large machineguns like the M240 and M249, and pretty much anything with a Picatinny or Weaver rail. You can also mount it as a close range optic on a rifle. I used a H1 this way when shooting Open class 3-gun. I put my T1 mount on a tall LaRue mount, which is now available directly from Aimpoint at the time of purchase (LaRue part #LT660). The tall mount raises the optic high enough so that you can use it as a primary optic on a flat top AR rifle/carbine. My LMT 10" SBR is currently equipped with the KAC RAS2 rail which has a hump on the front end of the receiver. This would have made the T1 way too tall, so I had to mount the T1 out on the top of the handguard rail. I thought this might make it hard to use since the tube diameter is smaller than other larger Aimpoints. I was wrong. It allows for very fast target acquisition at this height (with the LaRue mount). The T1 with tall LaRue mount gives a lower 1/3 co-witness. I shoot this type of optic with both eyes open, and I'm at a slight disadvantage being left eye dominant. My only complaint with the T1 is that when removing the adjustment covers, the o-rings will sometimes come off with the covers, and you have to be careful to get them back on correctly. I shot 900 rounds through my LMT using this T1. For anyone need a very small and very light red dot optic the T1 is going to be hard to beat. This is a very good design and I highly recommend it. The T1 retails for roughly $600.

My 10" LMT short barreled rifle with the Aimpoint T1.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/sbrs007.jpg

Both the M4 and T1 with my SIG 225 for size comparison.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/aimpointsandsig225.jpg

For more information on Aimpoint and their optics visit their web site at www.aimpoint.com

Pat_D
01-27-08, 19:11
Thanks for this very informative post. I may be buying a micro in the future for my short gun.

FJB
01-27-08, 20:38
Robb,
Thanks. Great post. I will add the following information that I have posted at M4C and elsewhere regarding the CompM4 and Micro T-1.

The Advance Circuitry Technology that Aimpoint developed and patent protects is literally light years (no pun intended, well maybe a little) of all of our competitors. It is so good that a battery will actually expend more energy setting unused on a shelf than it will running our optics at the specified settings (or lower) i.e. CompM3/ML3/M3 on setting 6 of 10, CompM4 on setting 12 of 16, Micro T-1/H-1 setting on 8 of 12. You can take a AA battery out of our competitor's optic that will no longer run it and put that AA battery in the CompM4 and run the optic for another year. CompM4 battery life is essentially 7 years with an AA Alkaline and 10 years with a AA Lithium. Battery life of the Micro T-1 is 5 years on setting 8 and 1 year on setting 12.

As an aside, you would expend additional $365 in AA batteries if you bought a competitors optic because you thought you would "save" a few hundred because it is cheaper than an Aimpoint. Another example is if an Infantry Bn used a competitors optic vice a CompM4 they could expect to spend an additional $30-50,000 in batteries during the length of their deployment. That also translates in to more trucks, convoys, soldiers and Marines protecting them on the highways exposed to IEDs, just to move batteries. As my father likes to say, "Trying to save dime you'll spend a dollar every time."

There is a perception that the CompM4 is much larger than the CompM2/M3. Actually, the CompM4 weighs 11.8 ounces at 2.1"X 2.4" and the CompM2/M3 with QRP mount weighs 11.7 ounces at 2.2"X2.2". They are essentially the same weight and size dimensionally. The larger battery box of the CompM4 gives the perception it is bigger. The CompM4 (B or S model - designator has not been determined yet) has the battery box at 5 0'clock vice 1 0'clock giving the perception that model is smaller or more compact than the standard CompM4 and CompM2/M3.

The initial issue CompM4s (new M68 CCO) did not have their mounting bolts loctited per Army PEO request. This allowed for the end user to adjust the height by removing the spacer. There are two short bolts included with every CompM4 for use when you remove the spacer. However, as a result of extensive T&E by Pat Rogers Aimpoint identified these bolts loosing. Aimpoint started putting thread tightener on the bolts and I observed this at the factory in December when I was visiting. Even with the bolts loosing if you applied loctite and retightened them I can guarantee you that the CompM4 will return to established BZO. I know this because I perform hundreds of demonstrations to this effect. I shoot a group often out to 200 yards, remove the CompM4 from the carbine, throw it across the range, have it thrown back to me, put it back on the carbine, and then shoot the same POA/POI. Starting Wednesday 30 Jan 2008 you will be able to see a video clip of me doing this on Down Range TV www.downrange.tv as well as another half dozen video clips on Aimpoint sights.

The QRPII mount on the CompM4 is significantly better than the original QRP. Aimpoint also has its own Lever Release Picatinny (LRP) Mount that will be released in the spring after some suggested improvements after I T&E'd it during one of Jeff's Carbine classes last October. LRP and CompM(B or S model) went 2300 rounds and maintained zero amazingly well. The only issue was the lever needing a locking device. Of course LaRue Tactical makes superb mounts for all Aimpoint sights to include the CompM4.

As an aside, Aimpoint will be releasing a new QRP mount this year that is a significant improvement over the original QRP. The new QRP mount uses the same mounting and spacers that are used in the CompM4.

R&D for the CompM4 was fully funded by Aimpoint. The U.S. Army did not have to use any money developing the new M68 CCO. Plus, Aimpoint sells the CompM4 to the Army at the same price as the CompM2. Thus, it cost the Army nothing to upgrade their M68 to a better sight. This price is well below MSRP or even the best Dealer pricing.

One last thing. When the Army solicited and then extensively tested all new sights to find a new M68 CCO, our competitors asked that whoever placed second should split the contract with the winner. Aimpoint submitted two versions of the CompM4 and won 1st and 2nd by a wide margin, thereby receiving the whole contract. The initial contract was for 163,000 CompM4s with another contract let this summer for 93,000 more for a total of 256,000. Aimpoint in less than two years will have completely filled this contract by this spring.

S/F

Telperion
01-27-08, 20:59
What kind of cowitness is there with the M4 standard mount?

Robb Jensen
01-27-08, 21:09
What kind of cowitness is there with the M4 standard mount?

I only used it with the spacer and it was a lower 1/3.

Pat_D
01-28-08, 09:11
gotM4's eyes and mine must be a little different as my M4 appears to give me absolute co witness with the front sight tip smack dab in the middle of the sightpicture even with the spacer in use.

rob_s
01-28-08, 09:25
The T-1 is on my very short-list of things to pick up shortly. I can't decide which of my pre-conceived notions need busting more, the one that says optics don't go on an AK or optics don't go on a shotgun, to decide on a host for the little bugger.

When we saw the T-1 at SHOT last year, everyone else at the Aimpoint table was crowded around the M4 and gushing over it. After spending all of 30 seconds with the "micros" I decided very quickly that this thing was the real news of the show.

Don't get me wrong, the M4 is a great optic and a very nice step forward in the evolution of these sights (especially from a technical aspect), but for all the reasons FJB mentioned above, coupled with the fact that frankly 99.99% of non-military users would be more than well-served with a C3, the added cost of the M4 is hard to justify. The "micros" however have reduced weight, lower mounting height, and overall smaller profile to justify the added cost to most of us "regular people" users. I believe I saw FJB post somewhere that the H-1 would be available soon in a matte finish, which then allows one to get a micro that otherwise mimics the features of the C3 (no NV settings and shallower water-proofing).

There is a chart here (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=10241) where one can see the relative features of all the common Aimpoint models.

Patrick Aherne
01-28-08, 11:19
I have two issued Eotechs. I paid my own money for an Aimpoint ML2 after the Eotechs failed, numerous times. I prefer the Eotech reticle, it is faster on moving targets and on multiple targets, but I just never know if it's going to be there when I need it.

Howard N.
02-02-08, 09:56
I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Just put a M4 on a new Noveske 6.8 SPC upper. Don't get me wrong, I really like the optic, however the dot gives an elongated line appearance. This line really exaggerates with the 3X magnifier behind it. Called Aimpoint USA Tech (have the name written somewhere) and we went through rotating the sight through a 360 to see if the line rotated with the scope or stayed in the same relative location. It rotated with the sight as you would expect if it was a projection problem rather than my eye distortion. Tech said that no 2 mil dot would be exactly visually correct and I know and expect that. Decided to not send it back as the problem does not bother enough to really cause any problems. I do think the dot image should be better though.

FJB, maybe you might comment on this if you would.

davemcdonald
02-02-08, 11:03
Rob
I think a T1 would go great with a semiauto shotgun.
just a suggestion.:D

I am waiting on my form 4 for my SBR and it will have an Aimpoint on it soon. THe only question is which Aimpoint to get.

Dave

FJB
02-03-08, 01:03
Howard,
John Enloe, Aimpoint, Inc's Repair Technician, can provide a better response. John answers these questions fairly frequently. However, the following information may prove useful.

Distorted Dots In Red Dot Sights
If your dot does not appear to be perfectly round, the distortion is probably caused by the way that your eye perceives the dot, rather than by some mechanical defect. Due to differences in the lenses in different individuals eyes, round objects that subtend areas near 3 minutes of angle may appear distorted in a variety of ways depending on the individual and other environmental influences. Inexpensive red dot sights sometimes have manufacturing defects that can cause the dot to be an odd shape.
A simple test that can be easily performed will allow you to determine the cause of the apparent distortion:
1. Turn the sight on and look through as you normally would. (This test is easiest when the sight is not mounted on a firearm, but can be performed with the sight mounted as well. Just make sure that the firearm is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction.)
2. While continuing to look through the sight, roll the sight on its optical axis.
3. If the dot's irregularities seem to revolve around the center of the dot like the spokes of a wheel, there is a mechanical defect causing the distortion.
4. If the dot does not roll with the sight, the distortion is caused in the way your eye perceives the dot. This is not to say that you don t have good vision. You can see clearly and still see a distortion in objects this small. This effect is less pronounced in sights with larger dots. More people will see the dot in a
sight with a 10 minute-of-angle dot as being perfectly round than will be able to see a 3 MOA dot as round.

We hope that this helps you to understand this phenomenon. If you have additional questions regarding Aimpoint sights, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely,
Aimpoint, Inc. Customer Service

That all said, after building a CompM4 at the factory it is simply amazing, due to the incredibly precise and fine motor skill work involved aligning the LED module, that the technicians there are capable of making the dots as round as they are.

lewlew
02-07-08, 17:33
I bought the same Aimpoint M4 sight last week and found that the switch has about 1/12 play on every click. Is that normal? I asked the dealer and they said it's designed for military personel who wearing gloves.

Robb Jensen
02-07-08, 19:52
I bought the same Aimpoint M4 sight last week and found that the switch has about 1/12 play on every click. Is that normal? I asked the dealer and they said it's designed for military personel who wearing gloves.

I was told it's normal, mine does that too. I was told it allows it to move even when extremely dirty with sand, crud, blood etc.

Howard N.
02-08-08, 05:44
Howard,
John Enloe, Aimpoint, Inc's Repair Technician, can provide a better response. John answers these questions fairly frequently. However, the following information may prove useful.

Distorted Dots In Red Dot Sights
If your dot does not appear to be perfectly round, the distortion is probably caused by the way that your eye perceives the dot, rather than by some mechanical defect. Due to differences in the lenses in different individuals eyes, round objects that subtend areas near 3 minutes of angle may appear distorted in a variety of ways depending on the individual and other environmental influences. Inexpensive red dot sights sometimes have manufacturing defects that can cause the dot to be an odd shape.
A simple test that can be easily performed will allow you to determine the cause of the apparent distortion:
1. Turn the sight on and look through as you normally would. (This test is easiest when the sight is not mounted on a firearm, but can be performed with the sight mounted as well. Just make sure that the firearm is unloaded and pointed in a safe direction.)
2. While continuing to look through the sight, roll the sight on its optical axis.
3. If the dot's irregularities seem to revolve around the center of the dot like the spokes of a wheel, there is a mechanical defect causing the distortion.
4. If the dot does not roll with the sight, the distortion is caused in the way your eye perceives the dot. This is not to say that you don t have good vision. You can see clearly and still see a distortion in objects this small. This effect is less pronounced in sights with larger dots. More people will see the dot in a
sight with a 10 minute-of-angle dot as being perfectly round than will be able to see a 3 MOA dot as round.

We hope that this helps you to understand this phenomenon. If you have additional questions regarding Aimpoint sights, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Sincerely,
Aimpoint, Inc. Customer Service

That all said, after building a CompM4 at the factory it is simply amazing, due to the incredibly precise and fine motor skill work involved aligning the LED module, that the technicians there are capable of making the dots as round as they are.

Thanks, the dot distortion does rotate with the rotation of of the sight. The tag line coming off the dot seems to be about a two mil length itself. I was hoping a simple replacement would be in order. After talking to Tech. at aimpoint, it appears that the sight will be sent back to Sweden and may well come back saying nothing wrong. That's why I decided to just keep it and not be without-- for who knows how long. I will call again and ask to talk to John.

FJB
02-09-08, 02:10
I was told it's normal, mine does that too. I was told it allows it to move even when extremely dirty with sand, crud, blood etc.

Affirmative. Plus it helps minimize the switch rolling to a higher or lower setting if rubbed against gear etc.

S/F

Olav
07-20-08, 01:06
I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth. Just put a M4 on a new Noveske 6.8 SPC upper. Don't get me wrong, I really like the optic, however the dot gives an elongated line appearance. This line really exaggerates with the 3X magnifier behind it. Called Aimpoint USA Tech (have the name written somewhere) and we went through rotating the sight through a 360 to see if the line rotated with the scope or stayed in the same relative location. It rotated with the sight as you would expect if it was a projection problem rather than my eye distortion. Tech said that no 2 mil dot would be exactly visually correct and I know and expect that. Decided to not send it back as the problem does not bother enough to really cause any problems. I do think the dot image should be better though.

FJB, maybe you might comment on this if you would.

Sorry for the necro post but I just noticed this thread after I posted mine about what appears to be the exact same issue.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=194109&posted=1#post194109

Here a photo of the described problem:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/AimPoint_CompM4s/IMG_0908.jpg

Robb Jensen
07-20-08, 08:23
It's normal you're just seeing the internals of the optic.

My M4 and my M4S I have it if having the dot really bright in a darker room. Out in bright daylight I don't see it at all. I don't use the ARDs.

Jay Cunningham
07-20-08, 22:45
This may be stating the obvious but remember the focus should be on the target. If you attempt to focus on the dot itself it will distort.

Rich776
09-03-08, 00:30
I just got the Comp M4s and I only count 15 settings unless the off position is considered a setting. Am I doing something wrong?

FJB
09-03-08, 23:44
There is no off switch on the CompM4. Thus, the first setting is a night vision setting and a total of 16 settings. Battery life on setting 12 of 16 is 7 years with an Alkaline and 10 years with a Lithium. Go to www.downrange.tv/show2 video clip Part 2 to learn more.

S/F

TheDarkOne
06-22-09, 15:51
Uber necro post, I know.
I am thinking about a T1, but was noticing the same oblong dot in one I was looking through at my local gun shop. I also noticed a lot of 'bloom', or concentric red rings, in the optic when I turned the brightness up. Is the bloom normal in all Aimpoint optics? Call me picky, but if I am dishing out that kind of dough for optics, I expect the thing to be perfect. I suppose the only way to be satisfied with the optic you choose is to look through it before you buy. No online orders, or at least a good return policy.

spr1
06-23-09, 12:29
If the dot brightness is set too high for the ambient light conditions the dot and tube appear to "bloom". If that level of brightness was not available, the dot would not be visible in bright sun / light backgrounds (snow/sand). Turn the dot down to provide adequate contrast and life will be good. These sights are truly the best red dots.

spamsammich
06-23-09, 13:04
Uber necro post, I know.
I am thinking about a T1, but was noticing the same oblong dot in one I was looking through at my local gun shop. I also noticed a lot of 'bloom', or concentric red rings, in the optic when I turned the brightness up. Is the bloom normal in all Aimpoint optics?...

Yes, especially if:

1) You have astigmatism and you set the dot brightness too high.

2) You set the dot brightness too high for the light conditions.

Get my drift? You had it set too high. The dot should be just visible as you concentrate on the target downrange. You should not focus on the dot. I have astigmatism and when I focus on the dot it blooms a lot, when I'm outside focusing downrange and just superimposing the dot, I don't notice the shape as much and it appears to be a perfect dot until I get caught up with staring at the dot. You have to train yourself to get out of the habit if you want to make precision shots. Even with a bit of bloom or comet tails, the dot is plenty accurate for COM hits.

TheDarkOne
06-23-09, 15:18
Good to know guys, the bloom does not to be an issue.
There still seem to be some variance in the shape of the dot. I know it is a small thing, but if I am paying 500+ I would like that thing to be perfect. I guess just looking through it before purchasing is the only way to be sure.

spamsammich
06-23-09, 16:01
The variance in the shape of the dot is NOT from the optic. Different eyes will perceive the dot in different ways. LED lights look like smears to me, so does the small 2 and 4 MOA dots in these optics. To my brother, who has no astigmatism and relatively good eyes compared to me, the dots look perfectly round. With the right settings they don't bloom at all, especially outdoors. They look the worst when you're indoors with the settings all jacked up, you see a lot of artifacts from the internals of the optic and the coatings. Once you take it outside, it cleans up. The only time the RDS bugs me is shooting on indoor ranges, but dialing down helps things a lot.

markm
06-23-09, 16:03
Tag for aimpoint user feedback :)

TheDarkOne
06-23-09, 16:33
The variance in the shape of the dot is NOT from the optic. Different eyes will perceive the dot in different ways. LED lights look like smears to me, so does the small 2 and 4 MOA dots in these optics. To my brother, who has no astigmatism and relatively good eyes compared to me, the dots look perfectly round.

Maybe I am missing something here, but this photo seems to prove otherwise. Unless you are saying the camera that took this photo had astigmatism. ;)
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc212/olava1/AimPoint_CompM4s/IMG_0908.jpg

I looked through both an Comp M4 and a T1 indoors the other day. The M4 looked perfect, the T1 looked oblong. This all suggests variance in dot shape to me.

spamsammich
06-23-09, 17:12
Read gotm4's comment right after that picture you quote. You don't have to believe me, I'm just going by what I know having owned 3 aimpoints including 1 H1 Micro. When I correct my astigmatism, the dot is round. if you think it is the optic, do as fjb suggests and rotate the optic while you're looking at the dot. if it doesn't change shape, the problem is your eyes.

DRich
06-24-09, 00:03
Maybe I am missing something here, but this photo seems to prove otherwise. Unless you are saying the camera that took this photo had astigmatism. ;)

There are countless reasons why a red dot reticle will look distorted in a photograph. Even a slight movement while the shutter is open can make a perfect optic look like trash. Then there is the issue of internal reflections with multiple lens arrangements, etc. Never trust photos when evaluating the quality of a projected reticle.

Having owned over a dozen Aimpoints over the last 15 years and using dozens more during training, I've yet to see one with an oblong reticle. I'm blessed with 20/10 vision in both eyes, so I'd notice if there were issues.

I only wish my hearing was on par with my eyesight...

markm
06-24-09, 08:32
Aimpoint should build corrective lenses INTO THE OPTIC!! :p

RogerinTPA
06-24-09, 15:10
I have nothing but high praise for my M4S (My first Aimpoint). It took me a few range sessions to get used to it after running an EOTech for a few years. I like both.

Dunedain
08-09-09, 00:54
I was wondering if you fellows might be able to answer some questions and offer some advice on Aimpoint red dot scopes? :)

I'm planning on getting an Aimpoint red dot scope for a Saiga .308 AK, probably the CompM4, since that seems to be of very high quality from all I've heard. I'm going to be getting a BP-02 scope mount, like in this link http://www.goodoptics.com/good/28 , which will let the scope sit nice and low over the receiver.

1.) I'm assuming the CompM4 would mount right onto that BP-02 scope mount with no problem? The BP-02 is already quick detachable if the scope goes down and you want to use the iron sights fast with the scope out of the way.

2.) Will the CompM4 sit low enough on this mount when using a stock with a standard Russian AK drop to see the red dot comfortably, or would a stock pad likely be needed for a comfortable and solid cheek weld high enough on the stock while looking through the CompM4?

3.) Aimpoint makes smaller models, but there must be something that the smaller models do not do as well as the larger models or Aimpoint wouldn't make the larger models. What advantages does the CompM4 have over models like the Micro T-1? Perhaps the CompM4 has a larger field of view for faster target acquisition, and/or maybe it's more durable due to heavier construction? This scope will be used for both fast work at close-quarters as well as aiming out to perhaps 300 yards or so (to take advantage of that nice 7.62x51/.308 round), so the 2 MOA dot on the M4 should be good for both.

4.) Also, any recommendations on whether to get the high battery compartment model CompM4 or low battery compartment model CompM4s? At first glance, it would seem the high battery compartment might obscure your field of view around the scope toward the target area somewhat more than the lower CompM4s. But maybe there's a plus to having it higher up, I'm not sure.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks! :)

Jay Cunningham
08-09-09, 02:37
I was wondering if you fellows might be able to answer some questions and offer some advice on Aimpoint red dot scopes? :)

I'm planning on getting an Aimpoint red dot scope for a Saiga .308 AK, probably the CompM4, since that seems to be of very high quality from all I've heard. I'm going to be getting a BP-02 scope mount, like in this link http://www.goodoptics.com/good/28 , which will let the scope sit nice and low over the receiver.

1.) I'm assuming the CompM4 would mount right onto that BP-02 scope mount with no problem? The BP-02 is already quick detachable if the scope goes down and you want to use the iron sights fast with the scope out of the way.

2.) Will the CompM4 sit low enough on this mount when using a stock with a standard Russian AK drop to see the red dot comfortably, or would a stock pad likely be needed for a comfortable and solid cheek weld high enough on the stock while looking through the CompM4?

3.) Aimpoint makes smaller models, but there must be something that the smaller models do not do as well as the larger models or Aimpoint wouldn't make the larger models. What advantages does the CompM4 have over models like the Micro T-1? Perhaps the CompM4 has a larger field of view for faster target acquisition, and/or maybe it's more durable due to heavier construction? This scope will be used for both fast work at close-quarters as well as aiming out to perhaps 300 yards or so (to take advantage of that nice 7.62x51/.308 round), so the 2 MOA dot on the M4 should be good for both.

4.) Also, any recommendations on whether to get the high battery compartment model CompM4 or low battery compartment model CompM4s? At first glance, it would seem the high battery compartment might obscure your field of view around the scope toward the target area somewhat more than the lower CompM4s. But maybe there's a plus to having it higher up, I'm not sure.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks! :)

Trust me when I say that you'd be much better off with an UltiMAK (if they make one for your rifle) and a Micro Aimpoint.

Tomac
08-09-09, 09:03
Trust me when I say that you'd be much better off with an UltiMAK (if they make one for your rifle) and a Micro Aimpoint.

This ^^^ (from a former AK-holic).
Tomac

Dunedain
08-09-09, 20:31
I prefer the rear mounted scope, going for an authentic AK type arrangement. The gun has already been setup in a military AK config. (AK pistol grip, forearm, etc.), so I'm not going to mess with it now. :)

As to my questions, any thoughts, ideas? :)

rchen404
12-16-11, 12:57
I know the T-1 will co-witness with AK sights. What about the M4? Judging by pics, looks too big.

wahoo95
12-16-11, 13:14
I know the T-1 will co-witness with AK sights. What about the M4? Judging by pics, looks too big.

I'm guessing it won't due to its size.....not a good option

Voodoo_Man
12-16-11, 13:19
I will probably be picking up a T1 for my SCAR.

Thanks for the review.

rchen404
12-16-11, 15:18
I'm guessing it won't due to its size.....not a good option

Actually it will co witness pics in the link.

Might be heavy if mounted on gas tube on ak, mess up the balance.

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?43028-Aimpoint-Micro-T1-or-Comp-M4/page2

Army Chief
12-16-11, 15:23
We just witnessed the revival of a four-year old thread. Not exactly a big deal, but I would recommend that we start an altogether new one if this discussion is to be continued.

AC