PDA

View Full Version : New Colt 6920 Owner. Mag Rec?

a_just_cause
08-09-12, 17:58
First off I've enjoyed being a member of this forum. I have a Colt 6920 ordered & wondering if anyone has some general recommendations on items to purchase.

Ammo: Yes I know training ammo is high priority.

Mags: USGI vs magpul thoughts?

Safe/Case: already own them

Cleaning Kit: I have handgun sets and will get a one piece rod

Sling: I have a vickers for a different rifle I will try.

Any other thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Rock_Bottom
08-09-12, 18:45
Congrats on the new 6920. Good choice. Regarding your question, I have had good luck with MagPul mags. No failures that I can remember. I have a few USGI mags, but ended up replacing the followers with MagPul. Then comes the question: 30rd or 20rd? I personally prefer 20's. Much easier to bench shoot and to lay prone if needed. Looks like you may have everything else covered. Enjoy your new rifle!

NeoNeanderthal
08-09-12, 18:52
Make sure your UGSI mags have magpul followers, or go with the pmags. Get more then you think you need (like 5-10).

I would get a light, and a mount for it if applicable. (I've got a TLR-1 mounted on the top rail)

You'll also want 1-2 mag pouches for your belt. Kydex like Raven Concealment or Personal security systems is real nice. Disregard if you've already got a load carriage system worked out.

Last but not least, a good red dot (Aimpoint pro or micro) is a must!!! They are expensive but are very very very worth it. Take out a loan or save up, but do it. Scrap the stock micro mount and get a DD or a Larue.

You've got back up irons right?

duece71
08-09-12, 22:15
Pmags work great, USGIs are good and in plentiful supply for cheap. DSG and BCM typically have good prices. I have a couple of Brownells 20 rounders and one of them has caused jams consistently. The others work fine. I have 2 Thermolds, one 30 rounder and one 20 rounder. The 30 rounder floor plate came loose on the first range trip and the entire mag contents went to the dirt. It went straight into the trash. The 20 rounder has been fine. No experience on Lancer or Troy.

59_Gretsch
08-09-12, 22:30
Someone more knowledgeable than I should be along shortly but I'll give it a go...

- 100% right. Learn to shoot that rifle vs. spending the money on G.A.S.

I prefer MagPul for just about everything but YMMV

Good. I'd have suggested Sturdy Safe if you were in the market for a good value safe.

Otis makes nice, but pricy kits.

MagPul QD (see above)

You'll never regret a dime you spend on training.

El Pistolero
08-09-12, 22:35
I like Lancer L5s. They've proven themselves to be in the same league as PMags.

fallenangelhim
08-09-12, 22:42
I have 6 Magpul PMAGs, they are good to go. It depends on what you like. some people like slimmer GI mags, some like the "lighter" PMAGs.

jhs1969
08-09-12, 23:21
First off I've enjoyed being a member of this forum. I have a Colt 6920 ordered & wondering if anyone has some general recommendations on items to purchase.

Good, can never have too much, I try to find a balance between quality and price. I don't like steel cased ammo in my ARs, other do, your choice.

I have both, the vast majority are USGI, both are good.

Ok, good.

I've yet to find one cleaning kit that covers everything I want. Don't be afraid to mix and match. I have an Otis and a few bore snakes along with many other items. Don't forget to keep it lubed.

I have both a Vickers VCAS sling and a Viking Tatics Vtac sling, I prefer the Vtac (padded). Either is good choose the one you like best.

When the time comes don't skimp, get a quality RDS and white light.

AZSUNDEVIL
08-09-12, 23:21
I have 6 Magpul PMAGs, they are good to go. It depends on what you like. some people like slimmer GI mags, some like the "lighter" PMAGs.

Pmags are heavier than USGI mags.

Buckshot Barry
08-10-12, 00:42
I feel like Rodney Dangerfield around here, as my thoughts aren't shared when it comes to light mounts, but I've been very pleased with the BLAM2 light mount from Custom Defense Products. I wanted to keep my 6920 as stock as possible.

Then there's the choice of ammunition. I live in a neighborhood where houses are sometimes 20' apart and was concerned about over penetration. I settled with Winchester 64 gr Power Points because of this article

http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/index.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~buckshotbarry/cdp2.jpg

patriot_man
08-10-12, 03:53
What's the intended purpose? Home defense or target shooting? If this is for HD I would get a good light on there.

blackcloud45
08-10-12, 11:29
I feel like Rodney Dangerfield around here, as my thoughts aren't shared when it comes to light mounts, but I've been very pleased with the BLAM2 light mount from Custom Defense Products. I wanted to keep my 6920 as stock as possible.

Then there's the choice of ammunition. I live in a neighborhood where houses are sometimes 20' apart and was concerned about over penetration. I settled with Winchester 64 gr Power Points because of this article

http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/index.html

http://www.mindspring.com/~buckshotbarry/cdp2.jpg

My first post! Just wanted to say thanks for the CDP light mount link. I recently bought my first Colt 6920 (new to AR's) and at this point all I wanted to mount was a light. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks again...

Buckshot Barry
08-10-12, 11:48
The mount is rock solid and with the target at 10' the small barrel shadow is on the ceiling (ie doesn't cause a problem) with my TLR-1.

The sling swivel is still very functional. My left hand index finger works the momentary switch great. A well thought out design.

http://www.mindspring.com/~buckshotbarry/cdp1.jpg

CobraBG
08-10-12, 14:37
Congrats on your new rifle!:cool:

I prefer the Pmags. My 6920 has a Vickers VCAS sling. At first I had a padded version and then changed it to a non padded, less bulky in my opinion. I changed the grip to a Magpul MOE, it fits my hand better. I just recently added the Magpul handguard with an Impact Weapons Components (IWC) sling QD which allows me to mount the sling further back on the side of the handguard. I also added an IWC Mount-N-Slot to mount my Surefire Scout light to the MOE handguard.

I shot mine for a few years with the factory sights. Then I removed the carry handle and added a Troy folding BUI sight and I just got an EOTech EXPS3-0 which I really like.

Enjoy shooting it first before you spend too much time adding things.

Pistol Shooter
08-10-12, 16:17
Congrats on your new rifle!:cool.

Enjoy shooting it first before you spend too much time adding things.

Good basic advice IMO. Shoot it extensively and then determine what you want to change.

Congratulations on a very fine AR - Colt. :)

fallenangelhim
08-10-12, 16:31

Was not aware, learn something new everyday.

mallowpufft
08-10-12, 16:50
Brownell's frequently has good sales on their mags. Last fall they had a deal of $25 for two GI mags and a Blade-Tech mag carrier with tek-lok. Even with the cost of Magpul followers it's still a good deal.

The pmags are easier on the fingers while loading but I can buy 3 GI mags for the price of two Pmags so I tend to get GI mags.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

30 cal slut
08-11-12, 07:45
OP, I would get a mix of good quality GI aluminum mags and some black, and only black PMAGS.

PMAGS

+ Take a beating - you won't cringe when you drop an empty mag on the deck.

- Non-black PMAGS have a tendency to have problems such as premature cracks and lips that spread, causing double feeds. I've had a problem with some FDE PMAGS do this ... stick with black.

-PMAGS heavier, not that it makes a difference to me.

-PMAGS won't drop free from some lower receivers.

GI MAGS

+ Lighter than PMAGS

- Will get dinged up sooner than PMAGS.

+Bottom of magazine attached to carbine can be used as a close quarters combative tool (just jam it in bad guy's face)

+Sharp corner of GI magazine can be used to retract the bolt if you have a bolt over base or charging handle impingement malfunction.

Get a set of both. :D

Failure2Stop
08-11-12, 08:19
These questions are easily found all over the site. The yellow search button at the top will refer you to many highly detailed conversations on each topic. Specifically, I encourage a search on light mounts, as the one given has some issues in placement. Again, this will be well covered in a search.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

The Punisher
08-11-12, 16:15
I picked up a 6920 a couple months ago and started out with some GI mags a buddy gave me after his last tour. They are WELL worn(even had to shake some Afgan dirt out of one) and they do just fine. That being said my Pmags work just as well and never fail to drop free, unlike some GI mags I've used in the past. In either case you will have a dud every now and then, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.

filthy phil
08-11-12, 17:11
44mag.com has c products 20 rounders for $10 shipped. i got a couple of those and with the 2 colts that came with it and 5 more c products 30 rounders, 7 more pmags here or coming, i have 16 mags. got a magpul buis on sale for $46 shipped

Kodiak
08-11-12, 18:06
Nope, both mags are loaded with 30 rounds of M193. USGI also has an anti-tilt follower.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/Kodiakco/Firearms/photobucket-2419-1344726041367.jpg http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/Kodiakco/Firearms/photobucket-2474-1344726002273.jpg

Univibe
08-11-12, 18:12
If you do go GI mags, I'd strongly suggest you stick with Colt / NHMTG / Okay. All are code 33710, made by same mfr.

midSCarolina
08-11-12, 18:27
Some things that I deem important on an AR:

Light (SureFire is best IMO but get one with a LaRue mount or something because anything that isn't QD will come loose during sustained fire unless it is loctite'd)

Rail (Good rails are MI, Troy, DD, and there are a few others. Light weight and not bulky are the main criteria)

Optic (I run Acogs on full 14.5" or 16" rifles but I like EOTechs and Aimpoints for up close work)

Other than that, you don't really need anything else. The 6920 is a great rifle and I hope you enjoy.

midSCarolina
08-11-12, 18:29
O yea... and the mags. I personally prefer pmags. They have always functioned 100%, it is easy for the rounds to exit the mag and be pushed into the chamber, and they can withstand some serious punishment. I have never had trouble with GI mags either and unless you are going to run them over with a truck, they will work great. A lot of people prefer them since pmags aren't "mil spec"

Kodiak
08-11-12, 19:30
...A lot of people prefer them since pmags aren't "mil spec"
The US Army does allow their use!

Army Now Says No Ban on Rifle Magazines (http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/06/07/army-now-says-no-ban-on-rifle-magazines.html?comp=1198882887570&rank=1)

Who is "a lot"?

Soldiers from B Troop, 3rd Squadron, 61st Cavalry Regiment, had been issued PMAGs before deploying to Afghanistan in 2009. On Oct. 3 of that year, they fought off a bold enemy attack on Combat Outpost Keating that lasted for more than six hours and left eight Americans dead. Some soldiers fired up to 40 PMAGs from their M4s without a single stoppage.

remington79
08-11-12, 21:23
I was just talking to one of my friends this afternoon who is currently in AFG. He says the metal GI mags are virtually non existent. He said just about everyone is running P Mags. he also said he has seen a lot of unauthorized gear over there such as aftermarket stocks.
He also told me that during training before he left he along with everyone else that he was training with were having feeding issues with the GI mags with the new tan followers. He said he actually had better luck with the mags with the black and the green followers. he also bent a couple of mags jumping in a ditch. Because of all of this he bought a 10 pack of black P Mags before he deployed.
Now this isn't a friend of a friend type of thing. This is first hand experience by one of my friends who I have known for at least 15 years.

AZSUNDEVIL
08-11-12, 23:17
Nope, both mags are loaded with 30 rounds of M193. USGI also has an anti-tilt follower.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/Kodiakco/Firearms/photobucket-2419-1344726041367.jpg http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa53/Kodiakco/Firearms/photobucket-2474-1344726002273.jpg

Huh. I've seen it written over and over again that the PMAGs weigh about 5oz while the USGIs are about 3.5oz. Something is not adding up here if the PMAG is showing as three ounces lighter than the USGI mag -- that's almost the entire weight of a USGI mag.

ETA: That's not a steel USGI-pattern mag, is it? I'm talking about aluminum mags, a la NHMTG.

Kodiak
08-11-12, 23:30
Huh. I've seen it written over and over again that the PMAGs weigh about 5oz while the USGIs are about 3.5oz. Something is not adding up here if the PMAG is showing as three ounces lighter than the USGI mag -- that's almost the entire weight of a USGI mag.

ETA: That's not a steel USGI-pattern mag, is it? I'm talking about aluminum mags, a la NHMTG.
OIC, just checked with a magnet. Mine is steel.

fdxpilot
08-12-12, 05:41
I just got a new 6720 (the 6920's lightweight brother,) and it came with Pmags

bodyarmorguy
08-12-12, 08:30
I will echo what most have said:

Mags: GI mags with MagPul follwers. Black PMags, if you want a different color there are some threads on here about dying them. I have been using a couple of the 2nd generation Lancer mags with good success and I am also hearing good things about Tango Downs magazine.

Light Mount: I have grown fond of the mount from IWC (Impact Weapons Components) and am using this set up on all department guns now.

Sling: Vicker's VCAS all the way. If you need another one, PM me, I have a few left in black and a couple of multicam.

OkieOutlaw
08-12-12, 12:35
My LE6920 came with the cleaning rods and jags as well as a sling. I also prefer the 20 round mags and have several GI as well as PMAGs. Sportsmans Guide has a sale on the Brownells mags right now. A 3 pack of either 20 or 30 rounders are 35.99 IIRC. That is the member price but not too much higher for non members. I found that membership can save ya lots of bucks outfitting a new rifle there.

Stephens
10-29-16, 18:25
I am very happy with my new out-of-the-box Colt M4 Carbine LE6920MPS-B. I will be learning how to disassemble and assemble it from YouTube because back in January, 1969, in basic training at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, we were using the M14. The Army never did teach me the M16.
I am interested in teaching myself and sixteen year old son how to use it keeping it in very good shape for him in case we need to join the militia or national or local emergency.
I am also wanting to get some magazines that will still work well fifty years from now for my son's sake.
I read about the Enhanced Performance Magazine, tan with a blue followers. From my reading the Enhanced Performance Magazine will help lengthen the life of my M4.
Is the Enhanced Performance Magazine available for civilians?
I still have to learn what the devil is a GI magazine. I am leaning towards Magpul Polymer for practice. I am leaning towards steel and stainless steel for longevity for 50 years.
I would appreciate any pointers and references for reading so I can learn and know where to buy and what to avoid. I certainly don't want any junk.
And I think I'd better get some before Hillary gets in there.
-Thanks

misfit47
10-29-16, 20:02
Holy necrothread batman.

TacticalSledgehammer
10-29-16, 21:18
He must have searched before posting.