PDA

View Full Version : Need help with first AR

krypto
08-09-12, 19:59

MistWolf
08-09-12, 20:12
Your first carbine should look like this BCM. Just add a rear sight & ammo
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/bravocompanyusa/BCM%20Complete%20Rifles/BCMMID-16Mod0right.jpg

Or get one of these from Grant at G&R Tactical
http://www.gandrtactical.com/PDGImages/6720.jpg

Order quick!
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6720

While I prefer a mid-length, the difference between it and a carbine length isn't worth arguing about

krypto
08-09-12, 20:29

richdkim77
08-09-12, 20:50
6720 in stock:

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COAR6720.aspx

Iraqgunz
08-09-12, 21:02
Your dealer should be able to get a BCM carbine from RSR or other wholesaler.

Well, I'm gonna have to do something else. My FFL is not a BCM dealer. I just may order from Grant but the 6720 is sold out. Did he actually have some today?

SpankMonkey
08-09-12, 21:28
I would buy the middy 16. Even over the Colt, the middy is a soft shooting gun.

duece71
08-09-12, 21:34
I have both and I will say its a flip of a coin for Colt or BCM. Win win for you.

fallenangelhim
08-09-12, 22:49
My advice, buy whichever one is cheaper at the time.

No need to buy unnecessary add-ons yet until you know how to use the weapon. Also learn the functions of a new weapon until second nature before adding "crap" on it.

Therefore, buy whichever one is cheaper at the moment.

Colt or BCM is good to go. Buy the rifle, get yourself 8 magazines (more or less) and about 1000 rounds of affordable ammunition (again, no need for super special target rounds, buy affordable ammo to just learn to play with the gun).

Enjoy. Have fun, ask questions, online and at the range, and have more fun.

currahee
08-09-12, 22:57
It really doesn't matter much between those choices. I would give the middy a slight plus for sight radius and softer shooting, but it should be more on availability and cost.

I would ditto the thought that you should put nothing on it except irons and go through a thousand rounds or so. I see so many people buy new guns with 80% tacked on to the price for accessories and then whine about how much ammo costs, or never even let it stretch its legs out.

Get it, shoot it practice and train

pentosinjunkie
08-09-12, 23:28
Get the BCM mid. Better ergos out of the box for modern weapon manipulation methods. Magpul MOE system is great for cheap building blocks - lightmounts, MVG, etc. Conversely, you can always trim the FSB on the Colt and throw on a rail later, but I think the BCM mid16 will offer you more versatility and better ergos out of the gate.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Urban_Redneck
08-10-12, 08:32
A few weeks ago I was in the same place... I went with the BCM midi because I thought the Gunfighter grip and charging handle would be two upgrades I'd likely purchase for the Colt.

YMMV

Aray
08-10-12, 10:27
"Buy a Colt and take a class." I've heard that somewhere before.

midSCarolina
08-10-12, 10:28
Between these two choices, I personally prefer the BCM. Even thought they do not have the track record that Colt does due to Colts use by the military, the materials and machining of the BCM rifles is extremely good. The ones I have used have been smooth, solid weapons. If you are still open to suggestions, I am going to have to suggest that you look at LMT. I classify LMT, BCM, and Colt as your "all business" rifles. They are made to function WELL and they do. They aren't to look pretty or have a cute name, they are seriously combat rifles. Out of the 3, I prefer LMT. They are what I own (I am waiting for my stamp for a 10.5" KAC which I can't wait for) but it was hard buying the KAC over the LMT because in my experience, LMT has just been so damn solid that I can't see anything out performing them. Good luck with your search.

Berserkr556
08-10-12, 21:14
I'll chime in with another vote for BCM 16" Mid Length. I bought my first one in 2008 or 09 from Bravo Co. in the form of an BFH upper, BCM BCG and the a BCM lower. I added a stock, hand guard and rear sight from BCM and i was gtg. I've put 6,000 rounds through it without one problem.

I purchased another BCM BFH 16" Mid Length, BCM BCG and the new BCM Mod 4 Med. Gunfighter CH from BCM and bought a BCM Blemish lower from G & R Tactical with a Magpul ASAP plate installed. I added a DD rail. IMOD stock and Troy Battlesight rear BUIS. It runs great too, i won't buy anything but BCM from now on as long as they keep making like they are.

BTW, my first AR was a Colt AR-15 A2 pre-ban. That was back in the day before you had all the choices you have now in accessories and firearms.

Redbeardsong
08-10-12, 22:24
Either one is fine. You can probably get into a Colt for less. Clyde Armory has the 6720 in stock, as well as some BCMs.

krypto
08-15-12, 12:17

Aray
08-15-12, 12:26
It's fine.

pentosinjunkie
08-15-12, 12:32
Prvi is good to go. Some of the better M193 clone ammo out there currently, especially for the price. It's not as hot as the IMI rebranded Lake City M193 that used to be the cat's ass, but now is extinct from the market; but it's hotter than most of the value offerings from PMC, Federal, Remington UMC, etc.

I'd buy the Prvi 55gr M193 for testing, evaluation, zeroing, and stashing; once the rifle is broken in and tested out, it may not be a bad idea to switch to Wolf or Brown Bear for plinking and running-and-gunning.

jasonhgross
08-15-12, 13:00
Kind of a repeat from another post of mine, but:

This might sound crazy, but how about a Noveske N4 Basic. I am a huge Colt 6920 fan, however you can get a Noveske N4 Recce Basic for around $1500 and that is WITH the troy sight, vltor stock, and tango down grip. No need to change out anything, just add optic and away you go. You won't outgrow it, and likely no need to add any other kind of handguard unless you NEED freefloat at some point.

I just got one, I love the simplicity, accuracy, fit, and finish. Just add a sling, flashlight (I use a MCTAR whatever from MI industries and Vltor scout mount), and Optic. You will get an amazing barrel, great BUIS (Troy), great grip, and outstanding stock. I suppose the only upgrade you may look into is a drop-in free-float. Good options there are Centurion and DD Omega.

krypto
08-15-12, 14:25

OkieOutlaw
08-16-12, 11:31
Congratulations on the Colt 6920. I have one and wouldn't think of getting rid of it. Bought a dozen mags and added a rail to mount a light. Other than plenty of ammo you cant ask for more. You made a great choice in my opinion.