PDA

View Full Version : DRMO M16 before and after

archad
08-09-12, 22:28
So a few hours ago I get a call from a LEO buddy. Telling me the selector fell out of his Sgt's DRMO M16. I told him to bring it by and I would look at and try to fix it. He brought it by my man cave. Someone had(not sure who don't matter to me) had put a Tapco M4Style RE,M4 type stock and a MOE grip they removed the auto sear,selector and hammer to semi auto. It had a 20" Colt M16A1 upper. The lower had the serial #5234*** pristine condition. Whoever installed the MOE lost the safety detent spring. The castle nut was not staked and was barely torqued. So I had a extra BCM RE and M4 stock with a H buffer that I installed on the DRMO lower I staked the castle nut I had a extra safety detent spring. I have a LMT 10.5 upper with a Seekins SAR rail with a H-1,PWS brake,BCM gunfighter C/H that I run on my RR. They are going to take it to the range tomorrow. The agency has 4 more M16A1's on the DMRO. I hope they can change all the others from the 20" uppers/A1 stocks minus the auto crap to BCM 11.5" uppers with fixed FSB and a flatop with a good milspec RE and stock of choice IMO I think that would be the best for a LEO.

http://fototime.com/CCF99317F757CFA/standard.jpg
this is A2 stock I was just using this for comparsion.
http://fototime.com/CCB9609498CBDB7/standard.jpg

Col_Crocs
08-09-12, 22:49
Just curious... Why switch out from auto to semi?

archad
08-09-12, 23:14
The Boss was anal about full auto. I'm a civi but full auto in a LEO application is most times not needed IMO.

currahee
08-10-12, 00:36
When they get them DRMO they can't sell the A1 uppers to fund new, shorter uppers can they?

CoryCop25
08-10-12, 00:46
When they get them DRMO they can't sell the A1 uppers to fund new, shorter uppers can they?

No, they can not. They must be in original condition if the .gov requests them back. They never will...

OP, if they are going to stay semi-auto an H buffer is fine. I suggest an H2 if they go the full auto route. I have done 3 of these for my agency. All rifles were old but never fired.

TahoeLT
08-10-12, 09:15
I can see the hesitation about FA on an LE gun, but...isn't having the option a good thing? If they aren't going to use the auto sear but are going to change out everything else, why not buy new lowers instead of DRMO? Saving a hundred fifty bucks just to use DRMO lowers on semi doesn't make sense to me.

I get it when they had the whole M16A1, but there's almost nothing left of that in the pic above!

ST911
08-10-12, 17:40
I can see the hesitation about FA on an LE gun, but...isn't having the option a good thing? If they aren't going to use the auto sear but are going to change out everything else, why not buy new lowers instead of DRMO? Saving a hundred fifty bucks just to use DRMO lowers on semi doesn't make sense to me.

I get it when they had the whole M16A1, but there's almost nothing left of that in the pic above!

I worked some DRMO conversions awhile back. Converting a batch of LESO guns to Mk18 configuration with known-good parts was only a ~$150.00-200.00 savings over the agency price for a new gun.

LESO guns come with added inventory and accountability burden, and can't be resold. Agency buys are only as restricted as self-imposed (outside of NFA) and have resale options.

Most folks converting LESO guns are doing so on the cheap with crappy parts. They save much more, but at what ultimate cost?

The relatively small savings with known-good components might be worthwhile if you had a good quantity of guns and in-house staff to work them. For most others, it isn't worth the time or hassle.

archad
08-10-12, 18:05
They only have 3 16" Bushmasters A2's for a 12 person dept. I told my LEO buddy I would give them 4 Milpsec/RE with all the goodies I don't have a use them since I have converted to Vltor A5 RE and I have 4 extra FCG's since I upgraded to Geiselle triggers. I hope at least they would get those 4 other DRMO rifles out of their little armory even if they have to run the 20" A1 uppers.

Stickman
08-12-12, 02:07
Most folks converting LESO guns are doing so on the cheap with crappy parts. They save much more, but at what ultimate cost?

I would rather stick with the M16A1 than have some clownfish of an admin have cheap parts thrown on it to make it "newer".

ST911
08-12-12, 11:59
I would rather stick with the M16A1 than have some clownfish of an admin have cheap parts thrown on it to make it "newer".

I had to fix an "improved" LESO M16 some time ago that had been violated...visciously...by a pack of bottom-feeders, worthy of it's own episode of Law and Order - SVU. The fix: returned to arsenal condition with original GI parts.

Don't get me started on what people have been doing to their LESO M14s trying to "accurize", "modernize", and "improve" them. :rolleyes:

CoryCop25
08-14-12, 21:41
Here is my DRMO M16...

Before:
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/M%2016/P1010234.jpg

After:
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/M%2016/P1010549.jpg

markm
08-15-12, 09:07
Telling me the selector fell out of his Sgt's DRMO M16.

How in the hell did the Selector fall out? :blink:

Scorpion
08-15-12, 18:20
Whoever installed the MOE lost the safety detent spring.

Markm: there was no pressure on the selector to hold it in place. The selector relies on the safety detent and the spring pressure behind said detent to hold it in place.