PDA

View Full Version : Anybody having any problems with PMAG's

billybronco
01-27-08, 17:44
scarring, denting or marring your brass?

Also, in checking the actual nose of some rounds that I chamber and then eject, they're marred as well.

There was an earlier posting a couple weeks ago from Dick Manley where his PMAG's weren't locking up properly. First of all, let me mention that mine were only loaded with 20 rounds each time.

Are the PMAG's seating too far in the magwel? This might be causing the rounds to skip off off or over the feed ramps....perhaps? maybe?

The ramps are M4 and the rifle is an Armalite M15A4.

I wouldn't be surprised if the issue is with the carbine and I know it's not a Noveske but I'd like to know if this is commonplace or not. I typically keep my brass and I'd rather my bullets not be scarred before they exit the barrel.

jmoore
01-27-08, 18:23
1) Just to 2x check - I'm assuming you have checked rounds from a standard USGI mag, and that they do not exhibit bullet "marring"?

2) Likewise on the case scarring/denting you mentioned?

3) Also assume you've checked to see that the ramps don't have excessive toolmarks, burrs, etc?

4) And here's one you've heard before - pictures????

jm

billybronco
01-27-08, 21:07
Indeed. I followed behind the PMAG with a USGI mag and didn't (have never) witnessed such behavior in several thousand rounds fired. No shavings, burrs, nor particles of any kind are apparent with either mag nor anything left behind in the chamber.

No pics yet. No camera with me.

Got two PMAG's as a trial run. Will get several more regardless of this issue as they are quality kit.

WS6
01-28-08, 02:33
The PMAG I tested out of the HBAR6601 did just fine. Even when I used it for a mono-pod. Brass looked normal. Nothing excessive or out of the ordinary.

KevinB
01-28-08, 05:15
I run PMAG's dailly here with Mk262 and have no problems.

I've run PMAG's with Mk262 (both Mod0 and Mod1), Fed GM 69gr, M855, M856, M995, AA40 (Frang) and M193 -- all without issues.

If it is indeed the PMAG (which I tend to doubt) I would send Rich, Drake and Co. an email and they will deal with the issue as they have AWESOME CS.

markm
01-28-08, 07:28
There's almost No chance that this is mag related. Especially considering that Pmags are the units in question.

Most ARs will scrape up ammo during the feeding cycle. I don't know how a polymer mag could do damage to a metalic cartridge. What kind of upper/lower combo are you running?

marylandsniper
01-28-08, 08:53
I have also be considering the pmags, but an do not know if the mags are that much superior to the original alloy.

What do you guys think?

markm
01-28-08, 09:06
I have also be considering the pmags, but an do not know if the mags are that much superior to the original alloy.

What do you guys think?

I'd do a search. There's only been about 87 pmag threads already.

In a nutshell, they're at least as good as USGIs so far. Maybe better... time will tell.

C4IGrant
01-28-08, 11:28

What do you guys think?

PMAG's are 10 times superior to USGI mags.

C4

C4IGrant
01-28-08, 11:29
There is no way that a mag can cause damage to a casing. With that said, what does it really matter?

C4

scottryan
01-28-08, 11:48
The ramps are M4 and the rifle is an Armalite M15A4.

This is your problem

Armalite's ramps are cut deeper than usgi ramps.

In my opinion, they are cut excessively deep and can cause problems by having too much of a groove for the round to navigate.

The round gets too far down into them and this is causing the scaring of your brass.

The purpose of M4 ramps is to just break the edge between the receiver and chamber extension.

f.2
01-28-08, 12:06
He said he tried both USGI and pmags.

...I followed behind the PMAG with a USGI mag and didn't (have never) witnessed such behavior in several thousand rounds fired. No shavings, burrs, nor particles of any kind are apparent with either mag nor anything left behind in the chamber...

rob_s
01-28-08, 12:08
The only issue I've had with the Pmags was somewhat user-induced, and was replicated by at least 3 other shooters at the same class.

When using the Beta-mag loaders on USGI mags you generally have to "smack" the loading plunger to get all the rounds in. If you do the same thing on the Pmag, the first set of rounds that are loaded can cross their tips at the bottom of the mag, which will cause a failure to feed (literally, the rounds just won't come out of the mag) when you get to them. Once I diagnosed the problem and discussed it with some of the other class attendees, and adjusted my loading accordingly, I did not see the problem again.

One of these days when I get some free time I'm going to sit around with the mags, loader, and some loose ammo and see if I can replicate the problem to post pictures of.

markm
01-28-08, 12:12
He said he tried both USGI and pmags.

Pmags do appear to feed the round at a higher point from what my untrained eyes can see. This combined with the Armilte feed ramps could be the issue.

RD62
01-28-08, 16:11

What do you guys think?

I have seen no ways in which a PMAG is NOT superior. Ease of loading, anti-tilt follower properties, body durability, ease of disassembly, ease of seating fully loaded mag on closed bolt, etc are all better with the PMAG. Right now I'm not buying anything else.

-RD62

heston911
01-28-08, 16:20
G.I mags suck compared to PMAGS! Are you kidding! If the issue is an out of spec. lower, get a new lower that is and quit yer bitchin. PMAGS rule. Not ALL mags work in ALL guns. That's the way it is. :D

billybronco
01-28-08, 20:03
Thanks for all the replies.

ScottRyan - - - - - That is the answer I was looking for.

If the ramps are cut more deeply than other lowers and the PMAGS do indeed seat the rounds even a fraction higher than USGI's, I tend to believe that this is what's scarring the casings.

Don't get me wrong. No misfeeds nor FTE's present.

I keep my brass. That's just how it is.

We have several Dillon's and I'm a freak about possibly being denied my ammunition should some wacko take office.

Hell, they've already moved to attacking ammunition b/c their efforts to rid American's of their guns didn't work.

We all know that our thousands of dollars worth of investments are nothing but boat anchors w/o the stuff to feed them.

Stocking up, that's all....

NickB
01-28-08, 23:45
What is the magazine's date stamp? If you think it's a problem with the mag, call 1.877.4MAGPUL during business hours and someone will help you get this cleared up.

platform389
02-06-08, 19:23
PMAG's are 10 times superior to USGI mags.

C4

Wish that were true in my case. Have a Bushmaster that will feed anything from anything, even the infamous USA 40 round mags! That is until it encountered the PMAG. Have trialed two from two different mold runs and both have the (in)famous 5th round fail to feed.

Both are going back in the Magpul mag body exchange offer. I sure hope the latest incarnation is better than my experience so far.

NOT RECOMMENDED.

Sidewinder6
02-06-08, 19:41
Had one mag malfunction that wouldnt lock in the receiver, couldnt close the bolt and I ended up tossing the mag.

At a class practicing something that required NOT taking time to determine what the exact cause was. When I DID recover the mag, the top round was dented from the racking the charging handle a couple of times and failing to achieve lock.

They do seem better than the USGI and C Product mags I have.

LukeMacGillie
02-06-08, 19:46
PMAGS Killed my dog, caused the Darfur situation and allow Alien species to conduct anal probs on their users :D

But they sure do feed ammo into my Mk18 nicely:cool:

markm
02-07-08, 07:38
two from two different mold runs and both have the (in)famous 5th round fail to feed.

I've never heard of the 5th round issue. I have a few different dates that we've run full auto, SBR, Rifle, Silencer attached, Even that POS Sig556!! Not a problem yet.

platform389
02-07-08, 21:52
I've never heard of the 5th round issue. I have a few different dates that we've run full auto, SBR, Rifle, Silencer attached, Even that POS Sig556!! Not a problem yet.

See link below:

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_120&products_id=271

It has come to the attention of Magpul Industries Corp that a number of users have experienced feeding problems with their PMAGs™ due to unusually tight magazine bodies. The primary symptom is sluggish follower response, or snagging when loaded with more than 20 rounds.

Shihan
02-08-08, 02:55
See link below:

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=80_120&products_id=271

What dates?

Lumpy196
02-08-08, 03:25
My only problem with Pmags is that I don't have a hundred of them.

C4IGrant
02-08-08, 08:03
See link below:

This is very old news and Magpul has corrected this issue some time ago.

C4

markm
02-08-08, 10:09
This is very old news and Magpul has corrected this issue some time ago.

Yeah. I remember that issue from a while back, but for people buying current production mags.... not a worry.