PDA

View Full Version : Mayflower UW gen 4 rig, anyone use one?

viper3colt
08-10-12, 21:29
I am thinking that it may fit my needs, but its not available locally to try on and fiddle with. Using my old TT split MAV for a few years and think its due to be replaced with a new rig. Purpose would be a few Basic Carbine classes, a local practical Rifle match and General load out stand by in a bag. I like the set up on the pictures I have seen and just want some input. Looks like it would hold what I need (4 rifle mags, 2 pistol, a small IFAK on left side and binos on the right side).
Thanks,

Shane1
08-12-12, 16:52
Hey Bud, what kind of input are you looking for? I switched over to one about 6 months ago.

viper3colt
08-12-12, 21:57
Shane1 so does it carry everything you want it too?
Nothing that it should do but lacks, you find the pouch layout useful?
Any buyers remorse?

scoutfsu99
08-12-12, 23:01
I used to use TT rigs too. I made the change over to Mayflower after reading reviews and doing research. Amazingly lightly, good all around chest rig. For your stated needs, it sounds like it would be ideal.

My only qualm was that I had to split up my IFAK as it wouldn't fit into any one pouch. Otherwise, I can't say enough good about it.

viper3colt
08-12-12, 23:14
scoutfsu99, are you using a insert with your IFAK or just stuffed in the pouches? Thinking of a clamshell ATS medical insert or a vacuum bagged GSW kit with TK strapped to a suspender. Your thoughts?

scoutfsu99
08-12-12, 23:29
No insert, stuffed into pouches. I carried a couple TQ's in various places on my gear/rifle and had the other stuff split into the two medium sized pouches. I also had a small OSOE tucked on my right side for extra supplies. Not the ideal set up but it was considerably lighter than the TT rig. My problem was we were mandated to carry 7 mags and I had my MBITR. 4 in the inserts, 2 in the R side pocket and my radio in the left side.

From your stated uses, I don't think you'll be carrying a radio.....you should be good w/ the ATS insert. Maybe ask over on LF or call Grey Group and talk to someone there. I bet GG would be a good source.

viper3colt
08-12-12, 23:48
Yeah my team leader days are long gone, so no radio.

GTF425
08-13-12, 05:42
I've been running one for 8 months without a single complaint. I use the swiftclips so I can switch between a separate rack I have for my M110.

I carry a PRC-152, 4 mags, smoke, frag, GPS, spare batteries, multitool, flashlight, map, admin cards, compass, protractor, and a VS-17 with no issues. It's well laid out and light weight. I run a MOLLE belt for my IFAK, EMT pouch, and NODs.

It's been great for this deployment. I love it so much I picked up the VTAC version (non swiftclip) for personal use back home.

If you're going to run an IFAK, the ATS medical insert fits perfectly. I ran one in the right GP pouch until I built up an actual EMT pouch.

viper3colt
08-18-12, 23:20
This is the way I will go. Thank you for your time. GTF425 Keep your head down and be safe. Have you Jumped the Mayflower yet?

GTF425
08-19-12, 03:11
No, not yet. I was required to use the issued FLC in garrison so I only got to jump with that piece of shit.

I would love to jump this rig, that's for sure. (we have SOPs against jumping while wearing kit except for Mass Tacs which are rarer than hens teeth up here)

GTF425
11-14-12, 21:34
This is the way I will go. Thank you for your time. GTF425 Keep your head down and be safe. Have you Jumped the Mayflower yet?

Just jumped it yesterday because I could.

Shoulder straps are nice and low profile which helps it to sit comfortably when you're rigged up. Bungee retention is great for the mags, but some JM's might make you jump Velcro mag pouches. Depends on your SOP.

Radio/GP pouches or a no-go for retention of an MBITR with just the bungee they come with. I had to tie my radio down with 550 cord because I didn't trust it to hold up on a jump. Probably unnecessary, but I don't want to be the jackass who sends a PRC into someone else's face at 100mph.

Everything else about the rig was great. I'll try my best to jump this worn from now on. If not, I'll just stuff it in my kit bag for the drop.

And on a side note: the ATS hydration pouch works perfectly on the H harness.

Shane1
11-15-12, 07:50
Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, it does everything I need it to. I can carry 4 rifle mags readily, radio and med kit. The only thing it was lacking, and this is personal preference, was a hydro carrier. I added the ATS to it and it works great. Only buyers remorse is the fact my mayflower armor carrier is a old 1st gen so no way to clip it in. That problem is being solved by buying a new model vest.

YO_Doc
11-18-12, 03:08
I have been running a UW4 for over a year now. It has worked very well for me. A Dark Angle Med Kit fits perfectly into a radio pouch if you are not running 2 radios, or you have to much stuff on your belt. I have not used the shoulder straps more than a hand full of times, but they are comfortable for what they are.

Prior to this I was using a Eagle chest rig that had a similar layout and before that I was running a Hellcat (which I still like). all and all I would by the UW4 again.

RamadiDoorkicker
11-18-12, 05:15
I can't get over the idea of only carrying 4 mags readily...

YO_Doc
11-18-12, 16:51
The radio pouches on the UW4 can also hole 2 mags rather easily. Or if you are running a belt add a 10 speed pouch or two on it and leave the radio pouches for radios. Really though 4 mags with one in the gun is a heavy load out and will work for most every class that you go to.

GTF425
11-18-12, 17:00
I can't get over the idea of only carrying 4 mags readily...

I had the same reservation when I first started running mine, but I realized how very, very rarely I used 5 mags in a firefight. I know everyone is different with their experiences, but this last go-around I found 1 or 2 mags were the most I expended in a 10-15 minute TIC.

I had the good fortune of only having a handful of sustained TICs and even then I was controlling everyone else's rates of fire because by then I had become a Squad Leader and was barely actually shooting.

The UW rig is perfect for a TL/SL. If you want more mags off the bat, the HK417 rig looks pretty legit and can still carry med supplies and signal equipment.

Just my .02 brother.

RamadiDoorkicker
11-19-12, 13:50
Thanks, Brother. There has only been a few times that I burned through all the mags I had ready. Bacl then I think I was wearing a "Ranger Rack". I guess minimum loadout has been beat in my head over the years!

GTF425
11-19-12, 17:55
Thanks, Brother. There has only been a few times that I burned through all the mags I had ready. Bacl then I think I was wearing a "Ranger Rack". I guess minimum loadout has been beat in my head over the years!

I hear ya. I got bitched at a lot for only having 5 mags, but so long as you can justify it, lightening your load is never a bad thing.