PDA

View Full Version : 1st 6.8 SPC build

ridgerunner70
08-11-12, 00:36
This is my first ever attempt at building an AR. As of now the upper will be put on a DD lower untill I decide wither to go with a BCM or Noveske stripped lower. The reason I pick the 6.8 is for hunting whitetail, hogs, and coyotes. I've killed several deer with a .270 so why not.
Upper:
BCM receiver
Bison 16" SS middy
YHM low profile GB (pinned)
13" Troy VTac TRX rail
Used the brownells clamshell13187
After tightening the barrel down using the 3 x loosing and 3 tighten. I made sure the gas tube was in line with receiver and gas block.
Pinned my gas tube and GB
Checked feed ramps on receiver and barrel.
Installed the handrail and muzzle break.
Anti-seize was put on barrel nut and blue lock tite on small bolts for hand rail.
Is there anything that I have missed so I can move on to my lower? Or anything in the pics not look right.

ICANHITHIMMAN
08-11-12, 08:15
Looks good, like the gas block choice a lot. It's a lot of fun doing it your self isnt it?

ridgerunner70
08-11-12, 11:32
Looks good, like the gas block choice a lot. It's a lot of fun doing it your self isnt it?

Thanks and yes it is.

slowkota
08-11-12, 17:03
anything in the pics not look right.

Socks with sandals???

lol just playin!

Everything looks good from the pics. What BCG are you going to use?

ridgerunner70
08-11-12, 17:24
Socks with sandals???

lol just playin!

Everything looks good from the pics. What BCG are you going to use?

I've got it narrowed down to BCM,DD, LMT. Any insight?

Failure2Stop
08-11-12, 17:28
What was the torque used on the barrel nut when you got the notch aligned with the gas tube hole?

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

ridgerunner70
08-11-12, 17:42
42ish

Failure2Stop
08-11-12, 17:46
Nice!
The answer to life, the universe, and everything.

ridgerunner70
08-11-12, 17:49
Nice!
The answer to life, the universe, and everything.

I'm Sorry it was between 40-45 lbs, I only have a 5lbs increment torque wrench. There is a little of a gap between the barrel nut and receiver. Hope this is common??

ridgerunner70
08-12-12, 20:25
I'm mounting a scope on it tomorrow and beings this will only be used for hunting. I'll be mounting this with very little height and not have problems with the charging handle. My question is will there be much differience from shooting @1.5" height to a lower height? Like a lower mounted 3x9x32 bushnell scope?

slowkota
08-12-12, 20:42
Assuming no back-up sights.

I'd guess that low rings would work with a 32mm Obj.

Will it be as comfortable? Probably not, unless you got a small head lol
Different cheek weld would be the only difference I can think of

ridgerunner70
08-12-12, 20:46
LOL!! Yes I have a bean head so most of the time I have to have a cheek riser but, going with the 32 I'm thinking I might be close. Where I hunt the longest shot will be 100yds.

ridgerunner70
08-12-12, 20:53
What I'm trying to explain is like when you are shooting with irons or an Aimpoint T-1 at the 1.5" and you are 2" low at 25 yards and dead on at 100yds. Where as having a lower mount would it put the 25yd shot closer to bulls eye than the 1.5" height and still maintaining a zero at 100yds?

LeroyRT
08-12-12, 20:53
Everything looks good. Why not keep the DD lower?

The only way to know if your scope will be comfortable is to mount it up and try it.

ridgerunner70
08-12-12, 21:03
Everything looks good. Why not keep the DD lower?

The only way to know if your scope will be comfortable is to mount it up and try it.

I quess there would be nothing wrong with keeping the DD lower on it But, I really enjoyed building this upper so I would really like to build a good quality lower also.

LeroyRT
08-12-12, 21:08
All you need to do to that lower is put in a Geissele SSA trigger and call it a day.

The standard FCG in the DD lower has always been a little heavy.. If all you're going to be doing with it is hunting, the go for the SSA-E for a little lighter pull.

ridgerunner70
08-12-12, 21:15
All you need to do to that lower is put in a Geissele SSA trigger and call it a day.

The standard FCG in the DD lower has always been a little heavy.. If all you're going to be doing with it is hunting, the go for the SSA-E for a little lighter pull.

Yes it is a little heavy but, I use the lower for my DD upper for HD. Would the SSA-E be good to go for HD weapon also?

LeroyRT
08-12-12, 21:21
Unless you've had lots of training and can keep cool in such a situation, I think it's too light.

IMO, you don't need a 2 stage trigger for HD. I think the standard DD LPK is just right for HD.

slowkota
08-12-12, 21:22
What I'm trying to explain is like when you are shooting with irons or an Aimpoint T-1 at the 1.5" and you are 2" low at 25 yards and dead on at 100yds. Where as having a lower mount would it put the 25yd shot closer to bulls eye than the 1.5" height and still maintaining a zero at 100yds?

I honestly can't answer that...

BUT if all your going to be using this upper for is hunting, with a max shot of 100yds... I'd just zero it in @ 100 and call it a day!

Thats what I did with my 10/22 for squirrel, and havent had a problem hitting those lil guys from 100yds and in. And a 6.8 shoots a hell of a lot flatter than a .22LR!

Basically what I'm saying is that its negligible @ 100yds and in for the game your talking about.

ridgerunner70
08-12-12, 21:29
Unless you've had lots of training and can keep cool in such a situation, I think it's too light.

IMO, you don't need a 2 stage trigger for HD. I think the standard DD LPK is just right for HD.

Thanks for your input when I build my lower, I'll be dropping one of them triggers in.

LeroyRT
08-12-12, 22:18
not a problem. Always willing to help out. :D

slowkota
08-12-12, 22:57
My finger doesn't touch the trigger, until I'm sure that what I'm pointing my muzzle at needs to be shot... Therefore making actual trigger pull under distress a moot point (atleast for me).

I prefer a Geisselle single stage (sd3g) in both my carbine, and in my precision rig. They need to create one for bolt rifles!

ridgerunner70
08-14-12, 00:16
I'm wondering if there is a small trigger job like polishing on the trigger will help on the DD?