PDA

View Full Version : Illinois -House Bill 4901

superr.stu
08-11-12, 13:53
Got an email today about HB4901 being passed. From what I gather with a C&R license Illinois residents will now be able to obtain SBRs. I'm kinda surprised it got through the governor tbh. Just wondering if anyone else knew anything or any thoughts on the matter?

Link to the bill: http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=4901&GAID=11&DocTypeID=HB&SessionID=84&GA=97

VaeVictis
08-11-12, 16:45
Thanks for posting the link, this is the first I've heard of this but it's awesome news. It looks like Illinois has been taking some steps in the right direction lately, there may be hope for this state yet.

ryr8828
08-11-12, 20:40
Doesn't take effect until Jan 1, 2013.

VaeVictis
08-11-12, 21:02
That's ok, it takes time to get the Curio&Relics license anyway. In the meantime I will be planning my SBR build.

AlphaKoncepts
08-12-12, 15:22
ATF rules still apply. It just means now you can own one if the ATF says it's ok.

Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Changes the exemption from the unlawful use of weapons statute and the aggravated unlawful use of a weapon statute for military re-enacting. Provides that the
exemption applies to a person possessing a rifle with a barrel or barrels less than 16 inches in length if: (A) the person has been issued a Curios and Relics license from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; or (B) the person is an active member of a bona fide, nationally recognized military re-enacting group and the modification is required and necessary to accurately portray the weapon for historical re-enactment purposes; the re-enactor is in possession of a valid and current re-enacting group membership credential; and the overall length of the weapon as modified is not less than 26 inches. Retains provision that during transportation, any such weapon shall be broken down in a non-functioning state, or not immediately accessible.

What was really odd is just days earlier the governor announced he was Pushing for Ban on AR-15s and High Capacity Magazines.

The people over at Illinoiscarry, the ones who have forgotten tons more than I will ever know about illinos gun law and know all the players (judges, lawyers, litigants, even county clerks) by name are all very enthusiastic that this year will be the year CC gets passed.

HeavyDuty
08-12-12, 16:27
Replaces everything after the enacting clause. Amends the Criminal Code of 1961. Changes the exemption from the unlawful use of weapons statute and the aggravated unlawful use of a weapon statute for military re-enacting. Provides that the
exemption applies to a person possessing a rifle with a barrel or barrels less than 16 inches in length if: (A) the person has been issued a Curios and Relics license from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives; or (B) the person is an active member of a bona fide, nationally recognized military re-enacting group and the modification is required and necessary to accurately portray the weapon for historical re-enactment purposes; the re-enactor is in possession of a valid and current re-enacting group membership credential; and the overall length of the weapon as modified is not less than 26 inches. Retains provision that during transportation, any such weapon shall be broken down in a non-functioning state, or not immediately accessible.

This is the synopsis, not the law.