PDA

View Full Version : Does Surefire Test Fire Suppressors?

saddlerocker
08-12-12, 12:37
My dealer got my new fa556-212 in on Friday.

He called me today because he opened the sealed box to get the serial number and noticed it had definitely been fired.

He is calling his distributor tomorrow to get more information.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if surefire testfires their cans

Thanks

bwhited
08-12-12, 13:29
I am thinking they do. Mine had been fired when I got it and I know my dealer had not touched it. Now they may not test everyone that leaves the factory but it seems they test fire some....

TehLlama
08-12-12, 19:32
I was under the distinct impression that SF, LMT, and plenty of companies test fire 100% of what goes through. I know when SF started, they did that since there's no other way to test that the POI shift for the cans is within their tolerances - again, I consider that to be a VERY GOOD thing, given the lifetime of SF cans.

saddlerocker
08-12-12, 20:08
I agree its a good thing if it is indeed test fired.
I expect quality rifles/uppers/BCG's to be test fired, not sure about suppressors.

I only wondered because the dealer who im buying it from seemed to think it was abnormal.

markm
08-13-12, 11:23
I only wondered because the dealer who im buying it from seemed to think it was abnormal.

Strikes me as abnormal.

Walker Precision
08-13-12, 18:25
Surefire test fires every suppressor to make sure it meets their POI shift standard.

saddlerocker
08-13-12, 18:33
Surefire test fires every suppressor to make sure it meets their POI shift standard.

This is what my dealer just told me. He said they called Surefire and that was their response.

I have an Email in to Surefire as well, but havnt heard back yet.
I assume it will be the same.

No big deal to me, im glad they check their product before it leaves their facility.

Only downside is it could lead to a shady dealer using your can for 6 months. :eek:

Sierra276
08-13-12, 21:42
I received a Mini about a year ago, and it had not been test fired...

El Cid
10-18-12, 13:06

Did they say what that standard is? Not trying to derail the thread - maybe we should start one on that specific topic?

I shot my new 212 yesterday and was surprised at the amount of shift. It looks nothing like what SF shows here: http://www.surefire.com/ReinventingtheSuppressor

saddlerocker
10-18-12, 13:10
I received an email back from Surefire a couple weeks after posting, but I forgot to update.

They said " All of our suppressors are fired through 5 times to make sure they function properly."

Kudu22
10-22-12, 10:50
Yes we do test fire every single suppressor for POI shift and group size. It is the last thing that is done to sign off on the build. It has to have less than than 1 MOA shift and 1MOA group. We zero the rifle and continue to do unsurpressed checks often through out the day to make sure the rifle stays in spec. With test fire and R&D we use close to 600K rounds a year. It is a very expensive set up with cold air induction into the chamber after each suppressor test and temp gauges on the barrels, round count logs, accuracy logs (unsurppressed) and rebarrel them many times a year. We use a acoustic target and print the targets right there at the range. The targets live with the build sheet and are filed away for the life of the suppressor. We do everything possible to make sure you get the best suppressor system.