PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Brake on 10.5"???

INTrooper4255
08-12-12, 13:19
I've done some searching but haven't seen much personal experience posted. I'm looking at putting a Battle Comp 2.0 or a Surefire MB556K on my LMT MRP 10.5 inch. I have a Battle Comp 1.5 on my 14.5 inch and I really like it and it's pleasant to shoot, but I don't really have much experience with one on a 10.5. This is my duty weapon mind you, so I would like to know if anyone has any personal experience with an SBR with a Surefire Brake or Battle Comp? I have read that they are loud (I know any SBR is going to be loud) but is an SBR with a brake going to be terrible? Any information would be of great assistance.

Thanks!

deadly0311
08-12-12, 13:28
I cannot comment on the 10.5 issue, but the Surefire brake is extremely loud on my 14.5, that said its not unbearable to me, but I also run a 762K can on mine when I am indoors. It is phenomenal on recoil reduction. I would get the SF brake and before I rocksett it, I would take it out and shoot it and make the determination, if you don't like it, sell it and get a battlecomp.

opdsgt
08-12-12, 13:32
Honestly, if you're not on your agency's team and are therefore not regularly clearing structures during warrant service, I would forgo the 10.5 incher and run your 14.5 w/pinned BC1.0, a better overall platform for a patrol rifle IMO.

I was paired up with a guy from my agency during a 10-hour, 800 round 'urban assaulter' class this spring. He was shooting a 10.5 with a standard birdcage. Even that was a distraction when we shot from inside a car or were fighting from the doorway in room clearing exercises. At least with the 14.5, a guy can get the muzzle out past the shoulder of his wingman.

My .02 only, YMMV.

cop1211
08-12-12, 13:37
I have run a Battle Comp on a 10.5 duty rifle, yes it's somewhat loud but on the range everyone should have hearing protection so it's a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

If you have to use it in a real engagement you are likely to have auditory exclusion so it will more than likely be a non issue as well.

Last year I was involved in an OIS where my partner and I fired 42 rounds of 230 grain .45 cal never heard his shots, mine sounded like a 32 caliber.

Get it , try it, if you don't like it you can easily sell it.

INTrooper4255
08-12-12, 13:51
Honestly, if you're not on your agency's team and are therefore not regularly clearing structures during warrant service, I would forgo the 10.5 incher and run your 14.5 w/pinned BC1.0, a better overall platform for a patrol rifle IMO.

I was paired up with a guy from my agency during a 10-hour, 800 round 'urban assaulter' class this spring. He was shooting a 10.5 with a standard birdcage. Even that was a distraction when we shot from inside a car or were fighting from the doorway in room clearing exercises. At least with the 14.5, a guy can get the muzzle out past the shoulder of his wingman.

My .02 only, YMMV.

My patrol car is a Mustang GT, so space is very limited. I have a rifle rack that takes up the entire back seat and with the 14.5 inch, it makes it difficult to pull the rifle around from the back seat.
Also, I'm not on a tactical team, but as a State Police Agency in a very rural area, I still do a lot of house clearings and warrant services, so a 10.5 will seem very handy. Thanks for the input!

INTrooper4255
08-12-12, 13:55
I have run a Battle Comp on a 10.5 duty rifle, yes it's somewhat loud but on the range everyone should have hearing protection so it's a non issue as far as I'm concerned.

If you have to use it in a real engagement you are likely to have auditory exclusion so it will more than likely be a non issue as well.

Last year I was involved in an OIS where my partner and I fired 42 rounds of 230 grain .45 cal never heard his shots, mine sounded like a 32 caliber.

Get it , try it, if you don't like it you can easily sell it.

Thanks for the input, I may go ahead with the Battle Comp. The Surefire is I'm sure better as a comp, but I think the Battle Comp may be the best of both worlds.

ALCOAR
08-12-12, 14:00
A 10.5" is going to be loud irregardless of what muzzle device you decide to go with. That said, some muzzle devices create a more "concussive" blast/noise than others, and those are the ones that I stay away from, as they will rattle your teeth especially inside. The perfect example of this type of muzzle device is the FSC556 from my experience.

I've been running the BC2.0 on my 10.5" MRP CQB for quite some time now, and have no complaints thus far.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC05487-1.jpg

INTrooper4255
08-12-12, 14:04
A 10.5" is going to be loud irregardless of what muzzle device you decide to go with. That said, some muzzle devices create a more "concussive" blast/noise than others, and those are the ones that I stay away from, as they will rattle your teeth especially inside. The perfect example of this type of muzzle device is the FSC556 from my experience.

I've been running the BC2.0 on my 10.5" MRP CQB for quite some time now, and have no complaints thus far.

http://i888.photobucket.com/albums/ac81/trident1982/DSC05487-1.jpg

Great, thanks! I did have an FSC556 on both my 10.5 and the 14.5, but I had very limited rounds through them, especially on the 10.5.

Todd.K
08-12-12, 16:17
At least with the 14.5, a guy can get the muzzle out past the shoulder of his wingman.
Often overlooked is how little the muzzle may be forward of a team members face in a crowded space.

One can argue auditory exclusion for the sound, but it is difficult to say that the direct muzzle blast would not be distracting or possibly cause injuries.

INTrooper4255
08-12-12, 16:47
Often overlooked is how little the muzzle may be forward of a team members face in a crowded space.

One can argue auditory exclusion for the sound, but it is difficult to say that the direct muzzle blast would not be distracting or possibly cause injuries.

Very valid point, thanks!

C4IGrant
08-12-12, 16:52
I would never put a MB on an SBR without a can. The obnoxiousness of it is off the chart!

I am running the SF MB556K on my 10.5 BTW.

C4

INTrooper4255
08-12-12, 17:14
I would never put a MB on an SBR without a can. The obnoxiousness of it is off the chart!

I am running the SF MB556K on my 10.5 BTW.

C4

Well, I've seen so many of them (556k's) on SBR's, I figured that most of them are being run with can's.

TehLlama
08-12-12, 19:41
The reason to run any sort of MB on a short SBR is to limit the abuse on the first blast baffle.

Commenting about how annoying a MB is on an open range has shockingly little to do with how impressive that concussive blast can be inside a closed structure.
Grant's got the best example of why to run the MB556k on a 10.5", and it's to run.an SF micro off the front of it.

The BattleComp on a 14.5" is the shortest I'm really comfortable with, and even that thing under cover doing barricade drills is a bit tooth rattling. To be fair, part of that is the overall weight of that carbine (under 6#) not helping with perceived recoil much.

The A2 isn't a very good comp, but is the least offensive, but you don't stand to lose much with the battlecomp if you decide later it's not the answer. Either is a good thing to go with at this point.

markm
08-13-12, 11:29
We'll take a 300 Win Mag with a 2 chamber brake and an 11.5 with a battle comp on the same shoot.

The 11.5/Battlecomp will hands down be the more miserable MoFo to shoot. You could double up ear pro and shoot it.... but I don't like any carbine that is THAT obnoxious.

C4IGrant
08-13-12, 12:05
The reason to run any sort of MB on a short SBR is to limit the abuse on the first blast baffle.

Commenting about how annoying a MB is on an open range has shockingly little to do with how impressive that concussive blast can be inside a closed structure.
Grant's got the best example of why to run the MB556k on a 10.5", and it's to run.an SF micro off the front of it.

The BattleComp on a 14.5" is the shortest I'm really comfortable with, and even that thing under cover doing barricade drills is a bit tooth rattling. To be fair, part of that is the overall weight of that carbine (under 6#) not helping with perceived recoil much.

The A2 isn't a very good comp, but is the least offensive, but you don't stand to lose much with the battlecomp if you decide later it's not the answer. Either is a good thing to go with at this point.

Right. When I am in a shoot house with someone that is running an SBR and a MB (whatever brand), I often feel like throat punching the person for being so stupid.

C4

markm
08-13-12, 12:31

I was shocked to see how loud a silenced M4 is in a structure.

MattHallman
08-13-12, 12:41
As far as a MB, I love the Surefire MB556K on my 10.5". The little recoil the rifle has is cut down to almost nothing with it.
It is extremely loud and has a pretty good blast to go along with it. Definitely not a rifle to shoot without ear pro!

Littlehendrick
08-14-12, 17:08
A few weeks ago a gentleman was running a SF brake on a 16" SCAR (556) a few lanes down from me at an outdoor range. It had a noticeable blast one lane over.
My friend runs a brake/flash hider combo from AAC on his 11.5" AR. Standing the same distance apart, I felt that they were "similar" in blast (obviously highly scientific measurements).
The blast from running a full brake (SF) on a 10.5" might be more than you bargained for because you are used to from running your BC 1.5. I shudder at the thought of shooting a braked 10.5" indoors/concrete walls. Good luck in your search for what suits your role/mission best.

INTrooper4255
08-14-12, 20:27
Thanks for the input everyone, I'm probably gonna just save my coin and leave the AAC Blackout that's on the 10.5 now.

RyanS
08-14-12, 22:05
Shooting my 11.5 with the MB556K without my can was akin to the sensation of being punched in the face every time I pulled the trigger. It didn't hurt physically per se, but it was disorienting and painful to the senses. I think that I would have rather gotten kicked in the nuts than touch off a round in doors minus the can. I've since gone with a 12.5 and will be switching to a flash hider so that I can enjoy shooting my SBR without the can.

BigLarge
08-15-12, 14:08
I didnt think Troops were allowed SBR's anyway :p

INTrooper4255
08-15-12, 15:01
I didnt think Troops were allowed SBR's anyway :p

What....where.....who says?!:dirol:

BigLarge
08-15-12, 21:58
What....where.....who says?!:dirol:

Atleast not the guys in 14!

Was hoping you were gonna get the brake and report back! I've been considering a DD MK18 with a brakeout for patrol

INTrooper4255
08-16-12, 06:01
Atleast not the guys in 14!

Was hoping you were gonna get the brake and report back! I've been considering a DD MK18 with a brakeout for patrol

I'm still on the fence about the Battle Comp. I may end up getting a 2.0 anyway, if I don't like it, I can always use it on another build.