PDA

View Full Version : A5 question

Koshinn
08-12-12, 15:02
What's the difference between the:
RE-A5 ( http://www.vltorstore.com/products/A5-Receiver-Extension-Tube.html )
and
A5SR ( http://www.vltorstore.com/products/RE%252d10%7B47%7DA5SR%3A-AR10-%7B47%7D-A5-Short-Rail-Receiver-Extension.html )

It looks like both can be used with an A5 buffer and spring, but the RE-A5 has 7 positions and the A5SR has 6 positions. The A5SR looks like it can be used with AR-10 parts instead of A5 parts on an AR-10.

Can both work with an AR-15 with A5 buffer and spring? And will an STR stock fully collapse on both?

I'd get the RE-A5, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere. The A5SR seems to be available.

Another question - for a single lower with both a 10.5" and 16" upper firing unsuppressed, will the standard A5 buffer work fine, or do I need the A5H3?

Failure2Stop
08-12-12, 15:08
I would contact Vltor directly for confirmation before purchase.

Todd.K
08-12-12, 15:30
You can use either with the A5 buffer.

A5 for the EMod and ACS.

SR for the iMod, SOPMOD, CTR, etc.

The difference is the rail length on the bottom. The SR is designed for normal length stocks and is what you should use unless you like the longer stocks. It won't allow the EMod to collapse all the way.

mig1nc
08-12-12, 15:58
Wow, I'm glad I saw this before ordering.

Todd, do I understand correctly that if I intend to use a B5 SOPMOD stock with the A5 buffer system on an AR-15 (*not* an AR-10) I should use the A5SR reciever extension?

samuse
08-12-12, 16:01
FWIW, I used a SOPMOD on a regular 7 position A5 tube for awhile.

It worked fine, it just didn't lock when fully collapsed. Didn't cause a problem since the stock was snug on the tube.

Todd.K
08-12-12, 16:31
FWIW, I used a SOPMOD on a regular 7 position A5 tube for awhile.

It worked fine, it just didn't lock when fully collapsed. Didn't cause a problem since the stock was snug on the tube.
It could be a problem if you did a mortar drill without the stock locked. Other than that there is no functional difference between the A5 and SR.

If you are building an AR-10 the same stock choice determines the RE choice, A5 or SR. Both would be used with an H3 and AR-10 action spring.

elephantrider
08-12-12, 16:43
[QUOTE=Koshinn;1368313]

Can both work with an AR-15 with A5 buffer and spring? And will an STR stock fully collapse on both?

QUOTE]

The A5 buffer and buffer spring (rifle length spring) will work with both receiver extensions on an AR-15.

I believe (not 100% as I haven't had them in my hand) that the Magpul STR is the same size as the Vltor EMOD and will fully collapse and lock on the 7-position A5 receiver extension. I doubt the STR would work as well on the A5-SR extension.

mig1nc
08-12-12, 16:44
It could be a problem if you did a mortar drill without the stock locked. Other than that there is no functional difference between the A5 and SR.

If you are building an AR-10 the same stock choice determines the RE choice, A5 or SR. Both would be used with an H3 and AR-10 action spring.

Ah ok. Makes sense. Choose the RE based on your stock choice regardless if it is AR-10 or AR-15, but make sure you use the AR-10 spring/buffer if you are using an AR-10. Otherwise use the A5 buffer/spring (AR15 rifle spring) combination.

Correct?

Todd.K
08-12-12, 17:15
Correct

MrSmitty
08-13-12, 08:28
Good info, didn't know this. I've been waiting to the 7 position RE to surface again but I'll be using a CTR so I guess I don't have to worry!

samuse
08-13-12, 08:55

No problems mortaring. With the stock collapsed, the receiver extension was bottomed out on the buttpad of the stock, no stress on the stock and a nice rubber bumper for the extension. I could see it being an issue if the stock was a sloppy fit though.

mig1nc
08-13-12, 09:19
Good info, didn't know this. I've been waiting to the 7 position RE to surface again but I'll be using a CTR so I guess I don't have to worry!

Yeah, same here.

Last night I just ordered the SR from DSG and some other goodies - enough to use their August free shipping coupon.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

Koshinn
08-13-12, 10:13
Yeah, same here.

Last night I just ordered the SR from DSG and some other goodies - enough to use their August free shipping coupon.

Where did you get that coupon? Dsg has the best prices for everything if you have a mil / le discount!

mig1nc
08-13-12, 10:19
They posted them on their industry forum on arfcom.

Also check slickguns, but their coupons didn't work for me.

Todd.K
08-13-12, 15:12
No problems mortaring. With the stock collapsed, the receiver extension was bottomed out on the buttpad of the stock, no stress on the stock and a nice rubber bumper for the extension. I could see it being an issue if the stock was a sloppy fit though.

If you hit the toe before the heel of the stock on the ground all the force is sent to the rubber butpad. They can brake off if you hit it hard enough. Not a huge concern but it has happened.