PDA

View Full Version : M&P9 problems

hwaya
08-12-12, 18:21
I shot an IDPA match yesterday and had a really weird jam in one of my mags. Here is a picture:
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/155/img0515zn.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/img0515zn.jpg/)
This happened after I seated the mag into the gun. I do use quite a bit of force when I insert my mags, but this was the first time this had happened. I unjammed it already by just taking off the floor plate and the rounds just fell out. Has anyone else had this happen before? It is a S&W factory mag (the newer ones with the square tab on the bottom). Ammo is CCI blazer 115gr.

Also I got home and took my gun out to clean and noticed the right slide stop/release tab snapped off. I never use the right side.
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/2906/img0516ru.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/img0516ru.jpg/)

I've had this gun for three years with no problems until yesterday's match. This is pretty disappointing to me and I don't know if I want to trust this gun if stuff is just snapping right off.

wahoo95
08-12-12, 19:37
Anything can break. Have S&W send a replacement part.

Blame any misspellings on Tapatalk

Aray
08-12-12, 20:01
I've seen an M&P and a Glock mag utterly fail on the same line on the same day within hours of each other. Mags are semi-disposable IMHO. Mark it, monitor it and move on.

As far as the slide stop goes, I'd be on the phone with S&W. They have been good to me in the past.

zibby43
08-12-12, 21:45
Anything can break. Have S&W send a replacement part.

I agree.

thespaceghost
08-13-12, 10:54
That particular type of magazine jam is always found with a partially loaded mag, and with SIG's it results from smacking a partially loaded mag up into a magwell. More often it occurs when it hits the ground the rounds jostle and go nose down inside the mag. Never had to disassemble a mag to fix it.

:agree:

JSantoro
08-13-12, 12:12
the right slide stop/release tab snapped off.

Seemed to be a "thing" with guns manufactured in that time-frame. If that part was gonna break, it always seemed to be the right-side tab.

Seen three specific cases of it, all with 2008-9 guns, only heard tell of others -- still, anecdotal. One gent didn't even notice it, for about 3000 rounds, no effect to function; he didn't use the right side, either...

All three I saw, the owners replaced the part, no repeat events...including the inattentive one, who's since put another 12k through the gun, on top of the 15k already through it.

The mag...I'd also table it, and try to isolate whether or not it's mag/ammo or you. Not enough known, based on a single incident.

hwaya
08-14-12, 08:59
Thanks for the replies. S&W wants me to send the whole gun in. I guess I could as I also have rust spots on my slide. Does anyone know if they care about aftermarket parts in the gun? I have 10-8 sights, apex sear and USB

ralph
08-14-12, 09:56
Thanks for the replies. S&W wants me to send the whole gun in. I guess I could as I also have rust spots on my slide. Does anyone know if they care about aftermarket parts in the gun? I have 10-8 sights, apex sear and USB

They used to.. In the past they would remove any and all Apex parts found in the pistol for "saftey" reasons, and usually not return them. Sights, they don't seem to care about. I don't know if this is still their policy or not. If it were me, I'd remove the Apex parts before shipping,or do the work yourself..Replacing the slide release is'nt that difficult...

wilco423
08-14-12, 10:02

According to the S&W guy who did my armorer's class (sorry, can't think of his name, from Montana), said S&W doesn't care if your gun has aftermarket parts in in when you send it back. They won't remove or throw them away. Obviously, if it had a problem that could be related to those parts, they might say to reinstall the original parts first.

He also said the right side slide release tab issue is being worked on, but they haven't found a reliable fix yet.

wilco423
08-14-12, 10:05
They used to.. In the past they would remove any and all Apex parts found in the pistol for "saftey" reasons, and usually not return them.

Out of curiosity, did this actually happen to you? I've heard of it happening but only >third hand.

ralph
08-14-12, 21:28
Out of curiosity, did this actually happen to you? I've heard of it happening but only >third hand.

No, I've heard the same as you, Recently had a extraction problem with my .45 mid, asked around on this board, and really could'nt get a definite answer either way,and I have a Apex FSS in it, I wasn't pulling it out. So, I bought a Apex extractor, and fixed it myself...YMMV

Until I see S&W post on their site that they no longer remove aftermarket parts on pistols sent in for warranty work, (unless of course, they are causing the problem) I'd take what that guy said at your armorer's class with a grain of salt...