PDA

View Full Version : Which sights for a hunting/outdoors Glock 20?

mkmckinley
08-12-12, 22:12
I have a Glock 20 I want to set up for outdoors use. It will pull double duty as a defensive weapon against animals and humans and will potentially be used for hunting. I'd like to set it up with sights that are easy to use accurately while also being fast to acquire and rugged enough for the field. It will have a Surefire X300 installed full time but I sort of like the idea of having tritium sighs there for backup.

I really like the Dawson Precision adjustable (http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=2160000-1094593467) rear with their fiber optic front that I have on my G34 but I worry that they may not be rugged enough for my uses. All of my defensive pistols get Ameriglo Pro-Glo fronts (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/GL212ORC%20copy.jpg) and they're great for speed but I don't seem to shoot them with as much precision as some of my other sights.

My question is what makes a set of iron sights "accurate"? Can anyone who has used a fiber optic front sight extensively in the field comment on their durability/reliability? Would it be feasible to use a Dawson adjustable rear with a Pro-Glo front?

LeroyRT
08-12-12, 22:44
Any reason you want an adjustable rear sight?

Can't go wrong with Trijicon night sights. IMO the best aftermarket sight.

I haven't used Dawson or Ameriglo on my personal weapons; only Trijicon.

The more adjustable something is, the more of a chance you have to knock it out of zero. If you're hunting 25' in the tree and you drop your sidearm with adj sights, are you going to be comfortable using it should the need arise? You might be. I would not. A set of fixed sights offers the least chance of zero-loss.

RagweedZulu
08-12-12, 23:40
Ditto Leroy's comments about adjustable sights. They're not really for field use. More of a static range item.

I'm another fan of anything made by Trijicon. I find them fast, accurate and extremely durable. You could pry 2x4s from a deck with them!

You'll get lots of opinions here and I'm not sure there's a perfect hunting sight set. I'd look for tritium, fixed, steel with a narrow front post for accuracy matched to a wide rear notch for speed and visibility in low light. One man's opinion only.

mkmckinley
08-13-12, 00:36
I appreciate the input. I was thinking about using an adjustable rear just to be able to zero with different loads. I suppose I may be better off going with fixed sights and picking a load and sticking to it.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-13-12, 00:49
Not sure if this is Fudd, but the LGS that installed my Ameriglo operators said that they arent tenifer treated and are prone to rusting. I'd love to know if the experts out there agree on this.

mkmckinley
08-13-12, 01:13
I have Ameriglos on 5 different guns, two of which are regularly carried, and haven't had a problem with rust in North Carolina or Seattle. I don't baby them. That said anything made of steel can rust. If it happens it's just a matter of scrubbing it off with some CLP.

okie john
08-13-12, 13:19
For defense against people or animals, I’d set up a G20 the same way I set up a street gun.

Handguns and hunting are an interesting issue. Over the last 30-odd years, I’ve killed about a dozen deer and a boatload of small game with handguns. Every time I did, the handgun was a primary. After a few years of carrying Ruger single actions and Smith N-frames along with a rifle, I realized that I had never seen a situation where I could use a handgun faster than the long gun that was already in my hands, and that the last thing I needed in the game fields was more weight to drag around. Now when I hunt with a long gun, I carry the smallest, lightest pistol I can. It’s not for game, but for the drive to and from the hunt, or in case I run into someone who wants to steal my gear while I’m in camp or taking a dump.

There are legal issues with carrying a handgun while you’re hunting. In Washington, any weapon in your possession must be legal for taking the game you’re hunting, which rules out grouse guns and J-frames. These days I carry a G19 with ammo from DocGKRs list, which just barely makes the cut. Look into it before you carry a handgun afield.

Most of western Washington is wet, sloppy, nasty jungle. Unless you’re hunting over crops or a clear cut, most shots are inside of 60m. I prefer still hunting over stand hunting, and my average with handguns and long guns over the last 15 years is something like 30m with one kill at about 80m. (For what it’s worth, I’ve also found that I have 3-5 seconds to make a hit while still hunting before the deer vanishes into the brush.) Most of those were in broad daylight, but I’ve seen plenty of deer when it’s legal to shoot but too dark to see iron sights. During hunting season, the clouds are usually low and this kind of gloom can last for a LONG time, so I’d definitely go with night sights or an RMR on a primary hunting pistol.

I’d definitely use adjustable sights. Pat McNamara, an M4C SME, has an interesting take on them in this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94770 I like them for the same reasons he does, and because I can get a precise zero without a lot of screwing around. I don’t worry much about damage—unless we’re talking fixed-sight revolvers, any drop that would damage an adjustable Glock rear sight would probably knock a fixed Glock rear sight out of alignment. You’re hosed either way if that happens. Keeping your pistol on a lanyard helps a lot, and is mandatory in tree stands and around boats.

Sights don’t make the gun more accurate per se, but some iron sights are easier to shoot well than others, which gives you the same effect. Bullseye shooters find that narrow light bars result in higher scores. Action shooters find that narrow light bars slow them down, so they generally use a somewhat wider notch. I’m in the middle of sorting out my favorite Glock sights, so I’ve got a variety of Glocks set up with different sights right now, including a stock Dawson and a Dawson with a 0.165” notch. Let me know if you want to meet on the range and try some of them out.

I’m actually building a G22 Frankengun for hunting deer in western Washington. One of my G17’s has an adjustable Meprolight rear with a 0.159” notch and a 0.125” post. This setup is fast and accurate, and I’ll probably use it on the G22.

Finally, about the light: definitely wise for a camp gun and for defense. But don’t have it with you while you’re out hunting. G20 + light = the perfect rig for jacklighting deer.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John

glocktogo
08-13-12, 15:01
You should check out MMC adjustable sights. They're pretty robust. The rear leaf and adjustment screws are protected by thick wings to prevent damage or movement. They have versions with tritium vials.

El Gato
08-13-12, 15:33
Try glo tfo's
On my glock 20
Best of all the worlds

JHC
08-13-12, 15:37
For defense against people or animals, I’d set up a G20 the same way I set up a street gun.

Handguns and hunting are an interesting issue. Over the last 30-odd years, I’ve killed about a dozen deer and a boatload of small game with handguns. Every time I did, the handgun was a primary. After a few years of carrying Ruger single actions and Smith N-frames along with a rifle, I realized that I had never seen a situation where I could use a handgun faster than the long gun that was already in my hands, and that the last thing I needed in the game fields was more weight to drag around. Now when I hunt with a long gun, I carry the smallest, lightest pistol I can. It’s not for game, but for the drive to and from the hunt, or in case I run into someone who wants to steal my gear while I’m in camp or taking a dump.

There are legal issues with carrying a handgun while you’re hunting. In Washington, any weapon in your possession must be legal for taking the game you’re hunting, which rules out grouse guns and J-frames. These days I carry a G19 with ammo from DocGKRs list, which just barely makes the cut. Look into it before you carry a handgun afield.

Most of western Washington is wet, sloppy, nasty jungle. Unless you’re hunting over crops or a clear cut, most shots are inside of 60m. I prefer still hunting over stand hunting, and my average with handguns and long guns over the last 15 years is something like 30m with one kill at about 80m. (For what it’s worth, I’ve also found that I have 3-5 seconds to make a hit while still hunting before the deer vanishes into the brush.) Most of those were in broad daylight, but I’ve seen plenty of deer when it’s legal to shoot but too dark to see iron sights. During hunting season, the clouds are usually low and this kind of gloom can last for a LONG time, so I’d definitely go with night sights or an RMR on a primary hunting pistol.

I’d definitely use adjustable sights. Pat McNamara, an M4C SME, has an interesting take on them in this thread: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94770 I like them for the same reasons he does, and because I can get a precise zero without a lot of screwing around. I don’t worry much about damage—unless we’re talking fixed-sight revolvers, any drop that would damage an adjustable Glock rear sight would probably knock a fixed Glock rear sight out of alignment. You’re hosed either way if that happens. Keeping your pistol on a lanyard helps a lot, and is mandatory in tree stands and around boats.

Sights don’t make the gun more accurate per se, but some iron sights are easier to shoot well than others, which gives you the same effect. Bullseye shooters find that narrow light bars result in higher scores. Action shooters find that narrow light bars slow them down, so they generally use a somewhat wider notch. I’m in the middle of sorting out my favorite Glock sights, so I’ve got a variety of Glocks set up with different sights right now, including a stock Dawson and a Dawson with a 0.165” notch. Let me know if you want to meet on the range and try some of them out.

I’m actually building a G22 Frankengun for hunting deer in western Washington. One of my G17’s has an adjustable Meprolight rear with a 0.159” notch and a 0.125” post. This setup is fast and accurate, and I’ll probably use it on the G22.

Finally, about the light: definitely wise for a camp gun and for defense. But don’t have it with you while you’re out hunting. G20 + light = the perfect rig for jacklighting deer.

Let me know if you have questions.

Okie John

Everything he said! Adjustable sights worked fine on LEO revolvers for decades but might not be suitable for your G20 hunting? Not likely really. Dial them in!

youngAR
08-13-12, 15:51
Have you considered an RMR?

mkmckinley
08-13-12, 17:01
John, great post as always. I appreciate your insight. I was unaware of some of the laws you mentioned and I definitely need to take those into consideration.

Have you considered an RMR?

I have considered it but I'm still on the fence there. I have a S&W 629 that I set up with an Aimpoint Micro which I ended up taking off. If I didn't have a perfect presentation it often took me a long time to acquire the dot. I haven't had enough time/commitment to get really proficient with the 629 so I ended up going back to irons which are ironically easier for me to use. In fact that setup is one of the main reasons I bought the Glock 20. The 629 like any revolver has a unique manual of arms and is ergonomically different than an auto. Since 95% of my my pistol training is with either a Glock 19 or M&P I feel more confident carrying a scaled up Glock for use in the field. As with most of my firearms the primary role is self defense but I'm getting into hunting and liked the idea of setting up the G20 for hunting as well. At this point I'm leaning toward John's advice to set it up as a defensive pistol and if I want to hunt with it down the road I'll worry about it then.

okie john
08-13-12, 17:12
John, great post as always. I appreciate your insight. I was unaware of some of the laws you mentioned and I definitely need to take those into consideration.

No problem. Here's where you start: http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01383/wdfw01383.pdf

You have to be part surveyor and part attorney to understand them. PM me or give me a call if you want it in the vernacular, or if you want to talk hunting.

I have considered it but I'm still on the fence there. I have a S&W 629 that I set up with an Aimpoint Micro which I ended up taking off. If I didn't have a perfect presentation it often took me a long time to acquire the dot. I haven't had enough time/commitment to get really proficient with the 629 so I ended up going back to irons which are ironically easier for me to use. In fact that setup is one of the main reasons I bought the Glock 20. The 629 like any revolver has a unique manual of arms and is ergonomically different than an auto. Since 95% of my my pistol training is with either a Glock 19 or M&P I feel more confident carrying a scaled up Glock for use in the field. As with most of my firearms the primary role is self defense but I'm getting into hunting and liked the idea of setting up the G20 for hunting as well. At this point I'm leaning toward John's advice to set it up as a defensive pistol and if I want to hunt with it down the road I'll worry about it then.

I had the same problem acquiring the dot with a G17 that had an RMR02. I was WAY faster with irons inside of about 15m, so for the moment, I’m sticking with them.

Okie John

Kilo 1-1
08-13-12, 23:30
Not sure if this is Fudd, but the LGS that installed my Ameriglo operators said that they arent tenifer treated and are prone to rusting. I'd love to know if the experts out there agree on this.

Correct. They are adonized, but not tenifer treated. My Ameriglos have rusted many times from daily carry in the last 2 years, but I clean them off with lube/oil. It's gotten to a point where the finish on the top and side has also started to wear off.
Not a huge issue though, my sight picture remains the same.