PDA

View Full Version : New To ARs, which to get?

beschatten
08-13-12, 15:22
Did a bit of lurking and one of my buddies recommended the following;

BCM M4 or A4
Colt 6920
Daniel Defense

Right now LaRue and Noveske are a little out of my budget. I want just a basic AR for the time being, buddy said he would show me the rest and help me decide on accessories and different parts to help me achieve what I'm looking for.

I know that I cant go wrong with any of the choices. I just cant seem to find any of the differences between them on their website except DD and BCM uses hammer forged barrels. And of course, they all have different handguards. In terms of quality they all seem to be reputable. Not sure if DD's torture test video should be taken with only a grain of salt but it really impressed me. Also Colt's replacement parts seems to be a little more expensive and I've heard negative things about their CS.

Any thoughts on preferences? I'm left handed, but I've given up on finding an AR for a lefty, I'm pretty set on just making it work or switching to right hand.

Quentin
08-13-12, 15:38
Any of those would be fine. Why not read the stickys and threads on the various brands before buying. Learn about barrel profile and gas length especially. And rails/handguards. Then look at G&R Tactical, I bet you'll find a great deal on Colt or BCM.

markm
08-13-12, 15:40
WalMart has a special on Full Autos! :p

Pistol Shooter
08-13-12, 15:43
Any of those would be fine. Why not read the stickys and threads on the various brands before buying. Learn about barrel profile and gas length especially. And rails/handguards. Then look at G&R Tactical, I bet you'll find a great deal on Colt or BCM.

+1

Very good advice IMO.

Personally, I'd lean toward a Colt 6920...

Good luck with your purchase. :)

JIMBOP99
08-13-12, 15:47
You may look at a Stag if you really want a leftie. Otherwise, all of those options are good options. I run a BCM 16" middy and have zero complaints. Before you buy a new rifle, see if you can get some trigger time on a buddy's. Find out what you like/need and go from there.

loganp0916
08-13-12, 16:08
You may look at a Stag if you really want a leftie.

You do not need a left side eject upper. An in-spec brass deflector (which all the choices you have will be) will keep brass out of your face.

Butter
08-13-12, 16:14
Before you buy a new rifle, see if you can get some trigger time on a buddy's. Find out what you like/need and go from there.

These forums are are good place to try some other members rifles

superr.stu
08-13-12, 16:16
I'm left handed, but I've given up on finding an AR for a lefty, I'm pretty set on just making it work or switching to right hand.

Run a standard AR lefty, it's pretty slick.

Split66
08-13-12, 16:40
Standard right hand carbine is fine. You can learn to manipulate it no problem. Larry Vickers for one is a southpaw IIRC and he has no problems kicking ass with a standard M4 ;)

Also take a look at the Colt 6720. It would make a fantastic lightweight HD/PD rifle and another excellent choice as your 1st.

Czarny_Orzel
08-13-12, 17:10
Did a bit of lurking and one of my buddies recommended the following;

snip

Any thoughts on preferences? I'm left handed, but I've given up on finding an AR for a lefty, I'm pretty set on just making it work or switching to right hand.

I shoot lefty, due to left eye dominance. I'm running two Daniel v7 and love them both! Actually traded in a nice Franklin HSC-15 to get the second Daniel. Their customer service is without peer. Superb AR's.

beschatten
08-13-12, 17:45
Thanks for all the replies it really
helps out a lot. I have ran about 200-300 rounds on
his Noveske AR and it wasn't too a challenge manipulating
it at all. The sling was for a righty so I didn't get to use
that but it overall I don't mind a right handed AR.

Brass never got in my face but it did fly down my shirt lol.

I'll keep lurking and reading about companies vs companies.

NeoNeanderthal
08-13-12, 17:50
Honestly it just boils down to what you want for handguards/ rails. Id get the BCM or colt, throw a Magpul MOE forend on there until you've shot enough to know what rail you want. Id buy whatever is in stock colt or bcm.

Magic_Salad0892
08-13-12, 17:53
WalMart has a special on Full Autos! :p

Well played, Sir.

Iraqgunz
08-13-12, 21:07
There are plenty of threads covering the question and choices that you have asked.