PDA

View Full Version : TacSol vs. Advantage Arms Glock conversion.

og556
08-13-12, 16:20
I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to buy either an advantage arms .22 or tacsol .22 upper for my g17. For those of you who have used both or own a tacsol hop I was wondering which you would recommend ?

I am leaning towards the TacSol upper due to the higher mag capacity and the AA CS is basically non existent from what I hear.

Magsz
08-13-12, 17:49
The Tacsol kit is a piece of trash...

Very few of them actually work.

skatz11
08-13-12, 19:51
My AA kit works great. Its picky with ammo though. I don't shoot it as much as I used to, but it is a great training tool.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Frailer
08-13-12, 20:26
My AA kit works great. Its picky with ammo though. I don't shoot it as much as I used to, but it is a great training tool.

I've only had my AA kit for a couple of months, so I've put less than a thousand rounds through it, but I've been very pleased with its reliability with CCI Mini-Mags.

I agree it's a good training tool.

SeriousStudent
08-13-12, 20:39
I have a G19 AA kit, and it runs fine with Remington Golden Bullets. It is advised to follow their recommendations on preferred ammo.

Shawn.L
08-13-12, 20:43
My AA runs like a top with Federal bulk pack ammo from WM.

15 round mags are tempting, but from what i hear if you trim the pice under the mag on the AA or replace it you can get 13 in there. Im not concerned, 10 round at a time is fine for what I use it for and how I use it.

SeriousStudent
08-13-12, 20:51
My AA runs like a top with Federal bulk pack ammo from WM.

Shawn, did you do anything to get yours to work with that round?
Ii have a Tac-Sol .22 AR upper that eats Federal Bulk Pack just fine, but my AA G19 kit does not. It's not a huge issue buying two kinds of ammo, just curious if you had to do anything to get yours to work.

Thanks!

og556
08-13-12, 21:13
This is all good information. I am surprised to hear that about the TacSol Glock conversion. That upper looks like it is really well made.

How many rounds do you have through it ?

My only hesitation with the AA kit is the lack of CS and 15 round mags but from what I remember of my friends G19 with one it ran well with certain types of ammo after a thousand rounds to break it in.

Heavy Metal
08-13-12, 21:48
Ii have a Tac-Sol .22 AR upper that eats Federal Bulk Pack just fine, but my AA G19 kit does not. It's not a huge issue buying two kinds of ammo, just curious if you had to do anything to get yours to work.

Thanks!

My AA Kit loves the Federal Automatch Bulk Pack(Beige box) but does not care for the red box HP bulk pack.

I put a 100 rounds of Federal automatch thru mine this evening along with a 100 rounds of 9mm Ball.

Joe R.
08-13-12, 22:30
I went with the Advantage Arms mainly because it locks open on an empty magazine and the ability to change out the sights to the same type I use on my carry guns.

I have about 700 rounds through it at this point and if you stay with the recommended ammo it runs very well. I don't see the 10 round mags as being an issue, and if it really bugs you there are 25 (?) round extended mags available.

All in all I am very happy with it and I'm only sorry I didn't but one years ago.

SeriousStudent
08-13-12, 23:50
Ah, that explains it. Two different types of ammo.

That Automatch works very well in my TacSol upper, I've been very pleased with the accuracy. Wally World had a good sale on it last year, and I snagged a case.

Thanks.

Wake27
08-14-12, 01:06
I've seen a lot of great things about the AA kits on here and have been meaning to get one for a while now.

GTM
08-14-12, 10:40
I have the AA kit for my G26 and have about a thousand rounds through it. It works perfectly with the AA-recommended ammo. I tried some Federal bulk-pack from Walmart (which isn't on the recommended list) and it choked. The Remington Golden Bullet works perfectly. I highly recommend the AA kit.

tpd223
08-14-12, 10:49
I have 10-12000 rounds through my G17 AA kit, I highly recommend their kits.

Mine won't run at all with Federal, but CCI and Remington work just fine.

DaveR
08-14-12, 12:21
Not sure what the OP experience with AA CS was but mine has been great over the past 2 years.

After putting over 12K rounds thru my first kit (bought in '10) I started having what seemed like too many light strikes on RGBs. My second kit (bought in '11) only had about 7K rounds thru it and wasn't having nearly the number of light strikes.

I knew that the newer one had a more chisel shaped striker tip (older was rounded) so I thought about changing the older kit to the newer striker. I sent several emails back and forth with AA. Always answered me in less than 12 hours. Always very helpful communication re other changes in parts.

I ordered the new striker and along with it came a free recoil/guide rod assembly that they thought I should have too, after that many rounds. I'd call that good CS and a desire to have happy shooters.

Dave

Shawn.L
08-14-12, 12:40

Thanks!

Nope, it just runs, and I just keep it wet.

Im using the Federal 550 count red box bulk hollow point ammo from walmart. I dont know how many thousands of rounds its seen, Ive had it for a while but I phase in and out of using it , and Ive loaned it out to friends short on ammo funds before. I mean, it is a semi .22, so dont get me wrong, it will have a stovepipe or failure to feed every now and again. But if Im seeing less that 1 failure per 100 rounds or more its more than reliable enough for my uses and it doesnt come near that.

og556
08-14-12, 13:08
Thats good to hear about their CS.

ITS Tactical had very different results with them and that kind of thing is a little off putting for me.

I am going to buy the AA conversion.

notorious_ar15
08-22-12, 13:19
I had the AA conversion for my old G19. It did very well with Federal Automatch and Golden Bullets.
Round count was apx 2K.
I would have to clean the breech face every 300 - 400 rounds with a GI nylon brush to keep it going, the usual rimfire ammo problems not withstanding.

Shawn.L
08-22-12, 13:51
Just ordered 2 of the tacsol mags they say are made for the AA kit.

og556
08-22-12, 17:36
Tell us how those tacsol 15 round mags work out for the AA kit. AA was supposed to release their 15 round mags this month but I have not heard any thing about them.

I went with the AA kit and I have 225 rounds of Golden Bullet Hollow Point ammo.

Only two failure to feed this far.

This happened on the second round every time it did so it might have had something to do with how I loaded the mag. To be fair the ammo was hollow points.

DaveR
08-22-12, 17:59
Looks like AA has some 25 round mags now.
http://www.advantagearms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=AASOS&Category_Code=GLKMags

Dave

davebee456
08-22-12, 23:13
just bought the Advantage Arms Kit 19/23 LE for my girlfriend's G19.

I tested 100 rounds of CCI Mini Mag hollow points with no malfunctions.
and
I tested 70 rounds of Remington Golden Bulllet hollow points with 2 failures.

I loved it so much I bought another one for me.

Scotter260
08-22-12, 23:36
I had a AA G17/22 kit that worked very well with Golden Bullets and Mini-Mags - I apologize but it's been a while so I don't have a round count.

I did find the slide had a slightly different (oversized) profile on the top edges compared to a standard 17 slide though so it was work (or may not have fit at all, again, it's been a while) getting it in and out of my duty STX 6280 holster - my only purpose in having it was to practice with .22s instead of 9mm so it was sold. I imagine leather would be more forgiving in this regard.

fhk96
08-22-12, 23:41
I have an AA for my 17 and I am happy with it.

Initially it would only cycle reliably with Golden Bullets as opposed to the Federal bulk and Automatch I had on hand.

Around 2k rounds and a Gemtech Outback 2 later it will function fine with Federal bulk, CCI Minimags, Gemtech subsonic, and SK with and without the can.

Will fit in my Bladetech Eclipse and Dale Fricke holster, but not the G-code fwiw.

Up1911fan
08-24-12, 00:00
I'd go with the AA. I ran about 2500 rounds through one on a Gen4 G17 with no real issues.

cabbynate
08-24-12, 00:54
I had the TacSol and I now have the AA kit. Mt TacSol was one of the first ones so I had to get a few parts changed out. I will stay with the AA kit.. I like it more. Seems to run better for me.. YMMV..

Wake27
04-25-17, 02:08
Super necro, but I finally bought a new AA kit about two weeks ago and it's friggin awesome. Got it on eBay for around $275 and have put about 300 rounds through it so far, both federal automatch or Aguila stuff. Had probably 15 or so malfunctions but it's great practice for clearing them. I'm also pretty sure every single one was caused by my thumbs on the slide. So far the biggest downside is that it comes with stock Glock style sights which I hate with a passion. I was going to put the Wilson/LAV sights on but I am just getting into shooting with a red dot and am seriously considering using an EGW dovetail mount and Vortex Venom or Viper. The only other downside is that it won't work in an ALS holster (didn't really expect it to). I wish I had bought one years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

trinydex
04-25-17, 02:35
I've used mine a few times now. very nice packaging, too nice.

the plink ammo I have been shooting is the Winchester M 22. feeds and cycles well, no mishaps. accuracy sucks because this stuff is just for plinking.

the match grade ammo I shoot is CCI subsonic. feed and cycle well. great accuracy.

CCI quiet 22 does not cycle. feeds with a manual rack if no malfunction occurs (shooting bolt action). must rack with vigor to prevent a manipulation induced malfunction.

CCI standard feeds and cycles. had some mishaps. I found it very strange that the Winchester M 22 would do better than CCI standard.

the Aguila super Colibri does not cycle (primer only round). will extract after being fired. can be shot bolt action if the slide is racked vigorously. sometimes manipulation induced malfunctions can occur due to short case and cone projectile.

johnnywitt
06-20-17, 20:43
I just got the AA for a G19 and I really like it so far. I couldn't get any CCI Mini-Mag 40gr, or the Rem GB 40gr, so I tried everything I have in it and it had FTE's on everything. I finally found some CCI MM 40 gr and not one malfunction so far. Also, tried 100rds of the Rem GB 40gr and it runs 100% on that as well. Ordered a Threaded Barrel and 4 more 10rd mags, along with an Ameriglo .115 FO front sight (I just blacked out the rear sight with a black sharpie). I also ordered a case of CCI Blazers 40gr solids. I figure if the CCI MM 40gr works then the Blazer will too. I have about 300 rds downrange so far and I hope when the kits breaks in a little more that I will be able to shoot some of the FED and Win bulk ammo. Interesting how one kit will shoot anything and another will choke on anything but the recommended ammo.