PDA

View Full Version : Anybody watching Stars earn Stripes on NBC?

Mauser KAR98K
08-13-12, 19:42
Its on now, and so far it is interesting, yet, predictably TV. But I am hooked due to:

Wesley Clark
Chris Kyle
and if I heard the name right before the break: Todd Palin.

telecustom
08-13-12, 19:45
Watching it now. I think it has potential.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

C-grunt
08-13-12, 19:56
I have it set to record. Gonna watch it.

ForTehNguyen
08-13-12, 21:41
I enjoyed the show, will watch again. Feels more real than Top Shot

Quiet-Matt
08-13-12, 21:46
I just finished watching it. I really like the genuine appreciation that the celebs seem to have for the vets.

tb-av
08-13-12, 21:49
I don't understand how you can put all that gear on and jump in the water. Why don't they just sink like a rock?

SteyrAUG
08-13-12, 22:18
It would be far more entertaining if they sent a bunch of celebrities to a real BUDs class.

I'd watch that.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-13-12, 22:18
I don't understand how you can put all that gear on and jump in the water. Why don't they just sink like a rock?

Not having seen the show, but having put alot of gear on and jumped in alot of water, I can tell you that alot of gear, along with your body....floats. When it doesnt, learn to swim well.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-13-12, 22:20
It would be far more entertaining if they sent a bunch of celebrities to a real BUDs class.

I'd watch that.

They'd get about 15 minutes of footage before that bell started singing non stop.

Denali
08-13-12, 22:39
This dependency upon television, especially the ultra mindless programming oozing from cable, and feeding directly into the stenosed brain stems of obese, motovationless people, is exactly whats killed America the republic, and given birth to amerika the democracy, exactly!

Its transformed the ememies of liberty, some of whom are truly the craziest, most worthless specimens in all of human evolution, into the wealthiest, most powerful, and influential class in all of the United States, if not the world.

No, I'm not watching "Stars Earn Stripes" on NBC....Enjoy your diversion.

SteyrAUG
08-13-12, 22:51
They'd get about 15 minutes of footage before that bell started singing non stop.

And that is why I'd watch it.

Hurry up, don't fall back. Hurry up don't, fall back.

:D

SteyrAUG
08-13-12, 22:55
This dependency upon television, especially the ultra mindless programming oozing from cable, and feeding directly into the stenosed brain stems of obese, motovationless people, is exactly whats killed America the republic, and given birth to amerika the democracy, exactly!

Its transformed the ememies of liberty, some of whom are truly the craziest, most worthless specimens in all of human evolution, into the wealthiest, most powerful, and influential class in all of the United States, if not the world.

No, I'm not watching "Stars Earn Stripes" on NBC....Enjoy your diversion.

Wait...I thought it was The Beatles that ****ed everything up. Or was it Jazz music, I keep forgetting...of course that is probably due to all the MTV I watched 25 years ago.

:D

I'm sure there are cases of reality TV making people fat, lazy and stupid, but I also think fat, lazy stupid people create things like reality TV.

Jellybean
08-13-12, 23:41
[SPOILER ALERT!!!]

Apparently Todd Palin is an asskicker. :laugh:
And Terry Crews made a 1-shot hit on his target at the end of the show. Of course it would be nice to know exactly how far it was.... but still.
WWE girl did better than I expected.

Was it me, or did the teams seem to really be taking their sweet time doing the missions?

Yeehaw! 'Murrica!
(there- now nobody else has to watch the show.:p)

That being said- it is VERY "made for TV" sanitized - basically Top Shot meets Fear Factor. A propaganda piece, if I dare say. And I absolutely HATE the host. And as usual with these sort of shows, less blabbing, more doing, please! Also, some other less than savory comments about the content of the show that I will not mention for the sake of not offending everybody.

Will I continue to watch it? Yes.
Do I have to like it? No.
But I want to see Palin do more asskickery. And who knows- maybe Crews will get ahold of a shotgun at some point....:laugh:

SteyrAUG
08-14-12, 00:29
Jellybean, thank you for the detailed synopsis.

You have confirmed that this is more shit I do not need and I genuinely appreciate the heads up. I might have ****ed around and given it a shot.

TomMcC
08-14-12, 02:21
Looked sort of like a more intense 3-gun. I think the guard tower shot with the 40mm was fake though.

El Cid
08-14-12, 10:34
Watching it now. Seems decent enough. I would have preferred them having someone other than Clinton cronie Gen Clark.

TomMcC
08-14-12, 10:48
The more I think about it, it seems pretty unlikely that the first time all the rookies went into the lake with all that gear was the one and only take (which was implied).

CarlosDJackal
08-14-12, 10:48
I thought it as pretty interesting and am planing on watching it again - until they **** it up and make it more "hollywoodish" than I can st.and

tb-av
08-14-12, 11:00
The more I think about it, it seems pretty unlikely that the first time all the rookies went into the lake with all that gear was the one and only take (which was implied).

That's what I was thinking. I would have expected to see 4 people well under water. Maybe they taught them in a pool but it sounded like that was the first time they had been in the water with that gear.

I had no idea that gear like that would be anywhere near neutral buoyant, but it looked like to me they were set to just be able to float.

I sure wouldn't want to do it for the first time.

C-grunt
08-14-12, 13:14
I liked it. It was entertaining. I will be following the series.

Moose-Knuckle
08-14-12, 21:04
Nope, I did not watch the series premier but after reading this I just damn well might.

:rolleyes:

'Stars Earn Stripes' draws fire

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/-stars-earn-stripes--draws-fire.html

A backlash is building, thanks in large part to Archbishop Desmond Tutu and a host of other Nobel Peace laureates.

An open letter from the dignitaries and addressed to NBC Entertainment Chairman Bob Greenblatt read: "This program pays homage to no one anywhere and continues and expands on an inglorious tradition of glorifying war and armed violence. Trying to somehow sanitize war by likening it to an athletic competition further calls into question the morality and ethics of linking the military anywhere with the entertainment industry in barely veiled efforts to make war and its multitudinous costs more palatable to the public."

JSGlock34
08-14-12, 21:23
My son has recently taken a shine to all things military and wanted to watch the show. There are worse things to watch on TV - this supports good causes (Wounded Warrior Project, USO, Got Your Six, etc) and projects a favorable image of the military. Chris Kyle certainly caught my attention - was surprised to see him represented among the professionals assembled for the show.

No one is going to confuse this with 'the real thing'. I enjoyed when the former SF sergeant said "This is like recess to me."

Personally, I think it is a mistake that they are glossing over the instruction that the 'stars' are receiving. The elimination challenge at the end gave the impression that they are just handing these folks firearms and live ammunition and telling them to go clear a room.

Clearly the show is heavily edited - and I'd like to think that some of that is to ensure safety. At one point a celebrity's POV camera appears to show that he muzzled his entire team in the back with a M249. Could've been a 'teachable moment'.

It would've been more interesting if the first two hours was simply the pros coaching the celebrities.

Two of the 'stars' did sink like a rock and had to be pulled out by a rescue dude on a jet ski.

I think Leupold must be a sponsor, because their optics are everywhere.

Samantha Harris needs to go back to Dancing with the Stars. She seemed very out of place. The occasional cut scenes to General Clark watching the action in 'Mission Control' (when he was really just staring at a green screen) added nothing and looked silly.

This would've worked much better with Colby from Top Shot.

I was entertained but wouldn't consider it 'can't miss TV'.

Honu
08-14-12, 22:38
watched it after reading this thread :)

fun entertainment never watched dancing with the stars or that singing one american idol ?

this seems to be just for fun reality star stuff but at least it helps out some of our military and police people rather than those dumb nj kids I have seen in press a lot ? forgot that dumb chicks name I hear from the NJ show ? but would much rather watch this :)
also interesting guys like dean caine knew the sniper :) that was pretty cool

only other fun reality start thing I watch is the amazing race cause its fun to see the countries they go to

entertainment ;) nothing more nothing less the way I look at all shows on TV !

Jellybean
08-15-12, 01:02
Jellybean, thank you for the detailed synopsis.

You have confirmed that this is more shit I do not need and I genuinely appreciate the heads up. I might have ****ed around and given it a shot.

Well, in all fairness, don't take my word 100% for it-I don't want to make your decisions for you based solely on a semi-annoyed forum rant.

Looked sort of like a more intense 3-gun. I think the guard tower shot with the 40mm was fake though.

It was 100% fake. Remember the chalk rounds they shot with the GL on Top Shot? Same deal- tower simply rigged to blow.
There was one scene in the show where you could see very clearly the little puff of orange when the tower was hit, and then a second later it went boom.
Of course given what JSGlock here said about the '249 muzzle sweeping thing, I wouldn't have given them live grenade ammo either...
But then, they could have just had one of the Mil guys do it.
Of course what can you expect from a show where they can't even have semi-realistic dummies to shoot at, and have to settle for lightbulbs on a box. :rolleyes:

My son has recently taken a shine to all things military and wanted to watch the show. There are worse things to watch on TV - this supports good causes (Wounded Warrior Project, USO, Got Your Six, etc) and projects a favorable image of the military. Chris Kyle certainly caught my attention - was surprised to see him represented among the professionals assembled for the show.

No one is going to confuse this with 'the real thing'. I enjoyed when the former SF sergeant said "This is like recess to me."
It would've been more interesting if the first two hours was simply the pros coaching the celebrities.

True- he could be watching Jersey Shore, or My Pretty Pony.... :laugh:
Then again, if he's into the military stuff, the Military channel and some of the older Nat. Geo. and History documentaries are WAY better.
And of course books.:p
(Yes, I've been a "military stuff" nut since I was like 9 too)

I think the SF guys quote there summed up the whole thing very nicely.

I also 100% agree with that last part- actually the whole show would have been better (and, imo, more realistic) if they did it in a sort of "bootcamp to real[ish] missions" format. Last I checked nobody whose earned anything for real just got handed a gun and a pile of gear and had at it.
Hell it would have been much more better if they just threw them in with say, a Ranger training class (if they want to stick with the SF theme- I'm sure some of you have seen the old[ish] documentaries of Rangers/Sapper/BUDS classes on the Military channel?), and see how many of them make it to the end . Anyone who completes the class gets the money. Instead of this hyphentated, dumbed down, sportsmanized, hollywoodized, lamified bullshit, which frankly, despite the good intentions of the show, just serves to cheapen what people like the military personnel on the show have accomplished.

That being said, I'd kill for an hour on a LR range with the sniper.
And since people are going to hate on the "morals" of the show, now I MUST continue to watch it to piss them off. :D

Mauser KAR98K
08-15-12, 01:15
I'm still going to watch just to piss off Tutu. But, yeah, it has that Hollywood/ reality TV formula. It is great that NBC is shedding light on the charities and our SF vets and LEs. But still, using pyrotechnics to show targets exploding after hit with a 5.56mm round is laughable. What ever message they are trying to gloss over is doing more harm than good.

And I would like to add that I believe the shoot house course was staged with either airsoft weapons, or simunitions. No way they would have two guys essentially back to back running a race in a shoot house like that with live ammo.

montanadave
08-15-12, 08:49
Coming this fall: Dancing With The Seals

And on PBS: Opera For Operators (and if you ain't a Wagner fan, you might want to give this one a pass)

CarlosDJackal
08-15-12, 09:19
...'Stars Earn Stripes' draws fire

Desmond Tutu can kiss my Veteran Ass!! I guess he thinks that "Keeping up with the (slutty) Kardashians", "Jersey Shore", "Big Brother", and all those other so-called "reality" shows are a better alternative?

We need more shows like "Combat", "Custer", and "12 O'Clock High" in today's society. Otherwise we will just continue on with the Wussification of America.

Moose-Knuckle
08-15-12, 15:51
Desmond Tutu can kiss my Veteran Ass!! I guess he thinks that "Keeping up with the (slutty) Kardashians", "Jersey Shore", "Big Brother", and all those other so-called "reality" shows are a better alternative?

We need more shows like "Combat", "Custer", and "12 O'Clock High" in today's society. Otherwise we will just continue on with the Wussification of America.

I concur, Archbishop Tutu (aka Bishop Touch-Touch) can get bent.

ForTehNguyen
08-15-12, 17:00
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/frenchrevolution/2012/08/15/three-reasons-why-nobel-peace-prize-winners-are-wrong-about-stars-earn-stripes/

Three Reasons Why Nobel Peace Prize Winners Are Wrong About “Stars Earn Stripes”
August 15, 2012 By David French 62 Comments

For the first time in human history, a collection of Nobel Peace Prize winners — led by Archbishop Desmond Tutu — issued a statement about a reality TV show. They targeted Stars Earn Stripes, the new NBC series starring a collection of celebrities and veterans who raise money for military-themed charities by competing in a series of military-themed challenges. The show is entertaining, but no reasonable person watching it could think that it truly simulates war. It does, however, give you a tiny glimpse into the kinds of skills (and stamina) required to complete even the simplest tasks, and it’s full of tributes to men and women in uniform. So what’s the problem? Here’s the key paragraph from the Nobel laureates:

It is our belief that this program pays homage to no one anywhere and continues and expands on an inglorious tradition of glorifying war and armed violence. Military training is not to be compared, subtly or otherwise, with athletic competition by showing commercials throughout the Olympics. Preparing for war is neither amusing nor entertaining . . . Real war is down in the dirt deadly. People — military and civilians — die in ways that are anything but entertaining.

They go on to call the program “a massive disservice to those who live and die in armed conflict and suffer its consequences long after the guns of war fall silent.” While I share the laureates’ desire for peace, I disagree with their criticism of the show — for three reasons:

First, it is right and good to honor martial courage. For eleven years, hundreds of thousands of our fellow citizens have risked their lives for their country, tens of thousands have been horribly wounded, and thousands have died. Yet aside from the obligatory “thank you” to the troops and the inevitable avalanche of anti-war movies from Hollywood, our pop culture has been remarkably devoid of a military presence. This has not always been the case. When Alvin C. York won the Medal of Honor in World War I, he was perhaps America’s most famous celebrity. The heroes of “Flags of Our Fathers” — the men who hoisted the flag atop Iwo Jima — helped boost a nation’s flagging spirits in the midst of a bloody war. Yet after more than a decade of war, is there a single soldier who’s a household name? Until war ends, we need warriors, and how much better is it to honor men who laid down their lives for their country than it is to honor a football player who hustled for a sack or a celebrity who wore a particularly fetching dress to a premiere?

Second, it’s a mistake to assume that American pacifism means peace. As a veteran of the Iraq war, I must admit that I’m puzzled by those who seem to insist that if only Americans were less militaristic, the world would be more peaceful. Do they not understand that while war requires only one party, peace requires universal assent? During the early morning hours of September 11, 2001, Americans thought we were at peace, but the war had already started — in fact, it had been underway for some time. If we demilitarize our culture, we don’t foster peace, we make war more likely (and more terrible, once it arrives). After the bloodbaths of the Twentieth Century (each started when America was weak), the new century has seen less war and less death — in large part because of American strength.

Third, if Americans saw the true face of war, we’d be more militaristic, not less. The Nobel laureates accuse Stars Earn Stripes of sanitizing war, mistakenly believing that showing the reality of war would discourage militarism. This is 180 degrees from the truth. If Americans were to see the raw, bloody, horrifying truth of our war, they would be stoked — as many of us in Iraq were — to pure rage against our vile and vicious enemy. The true face of our war includes our enemy shooting babies in the face, raping women to turn them into suicide bombers, putting bombs in the backpacks of handicapped children, beheading women and children on camera while screaming Allah akhbar like they’re at some kind of soccer match, creating medieval-style torture chambers so gruesome they make waterboarding look like a day at a water park, and generally killing, maiming, and terrorizing as many innocents as they can in an effort to plunge the world into the darkness of jihadist Islam. Our media has sanitized our war in large part by sanitizing our enemy. Show the “true face” of war, and the war will only intensify.

I enjoyed Stars Earn Stripes. My family cheered when Todd Palin (a man who understands the pain of separation from a soldier son and the fears of the family left behind) carried his team and beat even the “operators” through the barbed wire obstacle. My son immediately identified each weapon and was thrilled to see them in action, but we were mostly happy to see some of our finest vets get a moment in the sun — a moment when they could showcase some tiny part of the skills they’ve learned, the skills they’ve used to make sure that days like September 11 never happen again.

Honu
08-15-12, 18:23
nobel prize what a joke

yassar arafat
al gore
jimmy carter
obama
woodrow wison

yeah great group of spinless people who want to destroy the America as we know except of course for the ruthless dictator but he does share the hate of the US with these other folks and many others

SeriousStudent
08-15-12, 20:48
I think the review Army Ranger gives them on Action Figure Therapy is clearly better than the show itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQgddDS-jbE&feature=em-subs_digest

RLTW. :D

(Warning: Grown-up language flows from Army Ranger's mouth. Best to keep small children away. Just like real life.)

JSGlock34
08-15-12, 21:05
That was damn funny.

montanadave
08-15-12, 21:08
I think the review Army Ranger gives them on Action Figure Therapy is clearly better than the show itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQgddDS-jbE&feature=em-subs_digest

RLTW. :D

(Warning: Grown-up language flows from Army Ranger's mouth. Best to keep small children away. Just like real life.)

OK, now that was pretty funny.

And spared me the pain of actually watching the show.

Win win.

glocktogo
08-15-12, 22:57
Nope, I did not watch the series premier but after reading this I just damn well might.

:rolleyes:

'Stars Earn Stripes' draws fire

This is probably the best recommendation FOR watching the show. The only way it could get better is if they had Jimmy Caaahtah equating it to the reign of Hitler. :rolleyes:

ForTehNguyen
08-16-12, 20:50
Full episode here:

http://www.nbc.com/stars-earn-stripes/video/amphibious-assault/1413226

Jellybean
08-16-12, 23:10
Shared from the topic for this show over on SH forum:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/08/nbc-cancels-series-entire-cast-of-stars-earn-stripes-killed-in-afghanistan/#ixzz23iKlfymf

Absolutely priceless!:D

markm
08-17-12, 14:31
Not sure if this has been posted yet... but I saw this on Facebook from BravoComany...

I've never seen this retarded stripes show, but this review is still hilarious!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQgddDS-jbE&feature=youtu.be

EDIT: Oops! SeriousStudent beat me to it!