PDA

View Full Version : black hills ammo

kstr0h
08-13-12, 20:55
what website has the best deals? can anyone help me out?

markm
08-14-12, 08:19
What caliber? And why do you want Black hills ammo?

If you have a specific requirement, there may be a better alternative.

As I hear they say on the hide.... "Friends don't let friends shoot Black Hills"

bp7178
08-14-12, 08:33
http://www.triadtactical.com/Ammunition/

Best prices I've found.

markm
08-14-12, 09:07
Triad is good.

kstr0h
08-14-12, 09:25
What caliber? And why do you want Black hills ammo?

If you have a specific requirement, there may be a better alternative.

As I hear they say on the hide.... "Friends don't let friends shoot Black Hills"

It's for my ar 15, noveske basic. Noveske recommends it so I was thinking of following what they say. Why is it bad?

Moltke
08-14-12, 09:34
It's not "bad" it's just you might be able to get something better for about the same price.

kstr0h
08-14-12, 09:56
It's not "bad" it's just you might be able to get something better for about the same price.

I'm really just looking for some good 55g 223 or 556 fmj

Moltke
08-14-12, 10:09
Are you just trying to shoot the tightest groups possible with your off the shelf rifle, and off the shelf ammo? If so, try a variety of match grade factory ammo's and see what works for your rifle the best.

markm
08-14-12, 10:13

Exactly. It's not going to hurt your gun. It's just not premium ammo.

It's just that I thought you might be looking for very accurate ammo.

Good 55 gr FMJ??? I'd really just buy AE223. If you want some accurate and light bullets. Hornady 52 gr Vmax is laser beam.

AlphaKoncepts
08-14-12, 11:13
When ever I get a new firearm I intend to keep for any length of time, I buy ALOT of ammo, different kinds, a box of each, plinker stuff, heavy stuff, light stuff, match stuff. My goal is to run a bunch of plinker ammo through it to get all the springs broken in and debur and what not and progress up the ladder to more expensive stuff. I try to determine 2 things, which ammo my guns likes the best and which ammo my wallet likes the best, but still remain reasonably accurate.

American Eagle AE223 is a good short range plinker ammo. I got my hands on the Federal Grey Tip Varmint ammo with polymer tips (I think Federal's answer to the Vmax) which I haven't tried yet in my 1:8 18". I also sometimes shoot the XM855, but not necessarily a plinker ammo since it is a little costly compared to some other ammos and steel core etc...

If I am just going to blow off some steam and don't care about groups and just want to make holes in paper down range, less than 100 yards, I buy what ever brass cased is on sale. If you want the best of the best factory loads, you have to experiment and know what your rifle likes.

kstr0h
08-14-12, 11:25
Are you just trying to shoot the tightest groups possible with your off the shelf rifle, and off the shelf ammo? If so, try a variety of match grade factory ammo's and see what works for your rifle the best.

by off the shelf rifle, what are you implying?

Moltke
08-14-12, 11:41
by off the shelf rifle, what are you implying?

That it's a rifle in a factory configuration.

bp7178
08-14-12, 18:00
Exactly. It's not going to hurt your gun. It's just not premium ammo.

It's just that I thought you might be looking for very accurate ammo.

Good 55 gr FMJ??? I'd really just buy AE223. If you want some accurate and light bullets. Hornady 52 gr Vmax is laser beam.

I don't agree that Black Hills isn't premium ammunition.

However, for 55gr FMJ rounds, there are much better priced alternatives.

At 100 yards the most accurate round I've shot was the 55gr VMAX. 5 rounds at a tick over 1/2", which was very routine.

Spectro
08-14-12, 18:29
I've been quite impressed with the 55gr VMax as well (Hornady Varmit Express). I haven't shot it past 100yds yet but plan to soon. Its a tad expensive for me to shoot regularly though.

By the way, I thought you mentioned in a thread yesterday that you had just bought your first AR, which you stated was a BM. ??

Split66
08-14-12, 23:42
By the way, I thought you mentioned in a thread yesterday that you had just bought your first AR, which you stated was a BM. ??

Perhaps he was trolling? :) I remember reading that too........

from Kstroh

hey guys! i bought my first ar 15 today! i am so excited that i had to post it! out of the door, i paid $1140 for a brand new 556/223 bushmaster! The guy at the store said it was a very high end rifle. He also said it had a very good chrome barrel. I will post pictures soon!

I have a few questions, how should i break in the barrel? i would hate to ruin a barrel as good as this one. Also, what kind of ammo do you suggest shooting through it?

It's for my ar 15, noveske basic. Noveske recommends it so I was thinking of following what they say. Why is it bad?

markm
08-15-12, 08:38
At least he's not the guy that got the full auto Colt from WalMart! That cat was priceless!

Moltke
08-15-12, 08:41
At least he's not the guy that got the full auto Colt from WalMart! That cat was priceless!

I must have missed that one.

kstr0h
08-15-12, 08:51
Perhaps he was trolling? :) I remember reading that too........

from Kstroh

hey guys! i bought my first ar 15 today! i am so excited that i had to post it! out of the door, i paid $1140 for a brand new 556/223 bushmaster! The guy at the store said it was a very high end rifle. He also said it had a very good chrome barrel. I will post pictures soon!

I have a few questions, how should i break in the barrel? i would hate to ruin a barrel as good as this one. Also, what kind of ammo do you suggest shooting through it?

yea you caught me, i was already talked to about it though. my mistake! i really do have a noveske though, also a rock river but i know that gun is frowned upon here.

Failure2Stop
08-15-12, 09:16
yea you caught me, i was already talked to about it though. my mistake! i really do have a noveske though, also a rock river but i know that gun is frowned upon here.

So let's get this out in the open:
What do you own, and when did you get it?
Normally this isn't anything that matters, but you are clouding the issue, and it's easier to deal with when all the facts are presented.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

ST911
08-15-12, 09:20
In umpteen thousand rounds of BHA fired or observed, I have experienced or seen three ammo related issues, one of which was a .223 reman round. This is a substantially more favorable ratio than any other manufacturer of ammunition I've used, bar none. Accordingly, BHA products are control loads and benchmarks in various projects.

Others load good ammo too, and there are certainly cheaper loads, but none I have as much confidence in.

Helpful folks here. Might wanna read more, post less.

markm
08-15-12, 09:52
I must have missed that one.

I bet it got smoked. Guy claiming his LE Colt from Wally was bursting. Post #2 of his life here. I thought it was funny. Day Time Emmy for acting offended when I called BS on the guy.... the usual formula to the Tee!
:D

markm
08-15-12, 09:54
In umpteen thousand rounds of BHA fired or observed, I have experienced or seen three ammo related issues, one of which was a .223 reman round. This is a substantially more favorable ratio than any other manufacturer of ammunition I've used, bar none. Accordingly, BHA products are control loads and benchmarks in various projects.

Yeah... BH won't hurt your gun and will likely be reliable stuff.... but for them to put "MATCH" on anything that rolls off of their line is almost as laughable as PRVI using the match designation on their ammo.

kstr0h
08-15-12, 11:03
So let's get this out in the open:
What do you own, and when did you get it?
Normally this isn't anything that matters, but you are clouding the issue, and it's easier to deal with when all the facts are presented.

i have a noveske n4 basic, i bought it last week and have not fired it yet. if you dont believe me i can take pics haha. i also have a rock river but thats irrelevant.

sl4mdaddy
08-15-12, 11:15
i have a noveske n4 basic, i bought it last week and have not fired it yet. if you dont believe me i can take pics haha. i also have a rock river but thats irrelevant.

Hopefully the end of the barrel isn't red.

kstr0h
08-15-12, 11:42
Hopefully the end of the barrel isn't red.

huh??

Failure2Stop
08-15-12, 12:04

So you did not buy a BM?
Nothing wrong with owning a RRA carbine. Lots of us started out with "lesser" ARs. How long have you owned it, and how much time/experience do you have with it?

Normally I would have taken this to pm, but I am away from my computer and my pm box is full, and Tapatalk doesn't seem to want me to clear my inbox.

kstr0h
08-15-12, 12:33
So you did not buy a BM?
Nothing wrong with owning a RRA carbine. Lots of us started out with "lesser" ARs. How long have you owned it, and how much time/experience do you have with it?

Normally I would have taken this to pm, but I am away from my computer and my pm box is full, and Tapatalk doesn't seem to want me to clear my inbox.

I do not own a bushmaster. i have owned the RRA since april, not very long. however, i have been shooting my buddies ar's for awhile now. I have alot to learn about them still but i do know all of the basics and beyond till an extent. Im actually selling the RRA so to partially pay off my noveske and to pay for some quality ammo. Thats why i made this thread. This ammo would not be for plinking, it would be for me to save, i guess you can call it shtf or self defense ammo.

I was looking at the hornady TAP. The only reason why black hills stuck out to be is because noveske suggested it and i figured it was good.

Moltke
08-15-12, 12:45
It's fine. I'm sure it will serve your needs. Read this:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19881

Split66
08-16-12, 02:35
This ammo would not be for plinking, it would be for me to save, i guess you can call it shtf or self defense ammo.

In that case IMHO getting fixated on one brand of ammo is a bad idea no matter who says it's "good" or if you "figure it's good". Dont just buy a brand and not shoot it LOL, evaluate offerings for yourself until you find something (or things ) that

A shoots well out of YOUR rifle(s) within YOUR situation (yardage/location considerations see below )

B fits within YOUR HD/PD plan ( do you really need BH mk262 style rounds when a bonded soft point is a better choice for your "social" purposes? ) Where do you live ( again), what threats do you perceive? Are you barricading yourself against a home intruder, or shooting across several hundred yard fields?

C fits within the budgetary question...... Can cash slated for this super defensive round stash go to optimizing you or your rifle for a defensive role instead? i.e. no reason to spend $400 on 400 boutique rounds you'll never shoot when you can rock an Aimpoint that gives you an advantage instantly even if you deploy the "cheap stuff" or take that to another level and flat out buy bulk XM193 rounds, shoot the piss out of your gun and learn the system to a proficient level :)

With all of these "magic" rounds it's easy to forget that 1 round of XM193 in the right spot is going to go further than 30 $1 a piece rounds that miss.

Good luck

markm
08-16-12, 07:42
With all of these "magic" rounds it's easy to forget that 1 round of XM193 in the right spot is going to go further than 30 $1 a piece rounds that miss.

Yeah... obsess on marksmanship... not magic ammo.

Like I told the OP in a PM... the vast majority of my stash is old XM193. I have a lot of mediocre ammo.