PDA

View Full Version : 3x9 adjustments

ridgerunner70
08-14-12, 00:14
This is an odd question. If I zero my weapon at 100yds on the 3 power and then move it to 5,6,9 etc. will I still maintain zero at 100 Yds?

Breadman
08-14-12, 01:01
Any decent scope should not have a zero shift across the magnification range.
If your scope is changing point of impact at different magnifications and you have a quality scope, it should be repaired under warranty.

ridgerunner70
08-14-12, 01:15
Thanks, I didn't think so but this guy insisted on it did.I told him what was the point of having a scope if it didn't hold zero and different powers.

VIP3R 237
08-14-12, 02:09
The zero shouldnt move. The main thing which will change is if you have a bdc or mil-dot style reticle in a second focal plane scope, which most 3-9x are.

a0cake
08-14-12, 02:57
Theoretically, all second focal plane optics will have some amount of POI shift throughout the magnification spectrum. But wait, nobody freak out on me - in the vast majority of quality optics this shift is so minute that it is imperceptible. So, in pragmatic terms, it doesn't matter.

However, noticeable POI shift with magnification change is not uncommon with cheap SFP scopes (and sometimes not so cheap overrated brands). It's not guaranteed, but also not rare. Yet another reason to buy quality optics. And yet another reason why FFP is the better choice for the vast majority of applications.