PDA

View Full Version : Too many suppressors to choose from...

gafirefighter
08-14-12, 18:03
There are just so many options today, it really makes it hard when picking a new suppressor. I already have a Surefire 556-212 that stays on one rifle, and a SWR Specwar 556 on the way. I now find myself wanting one more 5.56 can, and I can not decide which way I want to go. This will be a can that is going to stay on the rifle pretty much full time. It will be on 10.3" SBR. So what are my options. First, not looking for anything from AAC. I have my reasons, and not going to head down that road. So I am looking at GemTech G5, YHM Phantom Ti, Liberty Torch QA, and GemTech Halo. I have also been interested in the SAS Sentinel, AWR Raider, Thunderbeast 223P, and the Thompson Machine Sixteen.

I know this is a ton of choices. These all have something I like about them to make the list. I really do not care if its the shortest, or lightest. I just want tough, with good sound suppression. I want something that is going to last. As I said, this will be my third 556 can. Anyone who has any experience with these, I would love to hear from you. Right now I feel like the G5 and the Phantom are in the lead. I also really like the idea of getting something from a smaller shop. All I ask for is good customer service if it is needed.

Adam

JasonM
08-14-12, 18:46
Since you already have a SF can, why not stay with that system?

There's nothing better out there, if you don't mind the SF cost.
Maybe get a SF Mini for variety's sake. And trade the Mini and 212 as needed.

There is no reason to go Gemtech compared to what you already have.

There is no reason other than cost to go with the YHM.

rjacobs
08-14-12, 19:47
I have heard lots of good things about the Thunder Beasts, but chose not to go with one because they are not full auto rated, they are really meant for bolt guns and, for me, if I run a can on a semi auto gun I am probably going to push it pretty hard and have fun with it.

With that said, my dealer has pushed a Thunder Beast 30 can hard on a .308 semi auto and has had no issues with it, but I personally didnt want to take the chance.

Now, if I was looking for a dedicated bolt gun can, I would go with a thunder beast all day long.

If you dont want to go with AAC, then I would, like Jason suggests, stick with the Surefire stuff. I have also heard really good things about the YHM Titanium cans(not any of the others, but the titanium in particular).

RyanS
08-14-12, 22:21
If you are going to go through the trouble, why not step up to a 308 can like the AAC 762SDN6. Can still shoot 556, but it also allows you to jump up to 308, 300 AAC, 6.8 and 6.5, if you ever decide to to get something else.

motoduck
08-15-12, 06:17
If you want rugged and price is no issue you may want to consider a Knights can.

Other's have given some good suggestions. I shoot suppressed often and have many to choose from. In my experience, YHM represents a good value, KAC is "bullet proof", the surefire cans are hard to beat. The can's that get the most use are SF FA556-212, SF Mini, KAC in that order.

GlocksInMySocks
08-15-12, 08:49
The problem with getting a KAC can is finding one...

gafirefighter
08-15-12, 09:00
The problem with getting a KAC can is finding one...

This is very true for sure. Every time I think I want one, and I have the money in hand, there is not one to be found.

Adam

Noodles
08-15-12, 10:30
I've been around and around trying to pick a new 556 can... there really are not that many choices once you sort through the crap (which is difficult because according to the people that just waited 6-8 months to get theirs it's the best things EVa!)

If you can not wait,
AAC 51T if you already own 51t cans
Surefire's current cans if you already own something of that
AAC's Ranger3 looks great for a great price, but thread on only

If you can wait,
Silencerco's Saker seems like a solid product in theory
AAC's 90T cans are replacing their current line up
Surefire's Socom series looks great but expensive

Since you already have 2 556 cans, maybe a 30cal is the way to go? Although it doesn't change your options really at all.

bdcheung
08-15-12, 10:48
What about Huntertown Arms?

gafirefighter
08-15-12, 11:43
I did forget to add the Saker to the list. SilencerCo makes some awesome stuff, and that might be a good one to keep any eye on.

As for Huntertown, I have thought about theirs. I guess I should have put it on the list also. Just not sure which will come next. I have also thought about a 30 cal can. I just do not shoot anything in 30 cal anymore. Everything is .223.

Adam

Magic_Salad0892
08-15-12, 12:02
KAC QDSS-NT4, or SureFire 212 SOCOM model in FDE. I'd personally prefer the KAC.

ForTehNguyen
08-15-12, 17:08
AAC 762-SDN-6 is the same price as the AAC 556 cans, a little longer and not that much heavier. You can use it on a lot more calibers.

rundm
08-16-12, 04:02
I chose the Thunder beast BA30 for my purposes. I don't shoot full auto though if that was your intended purpose. I bought the 30 because I can put it on my bolt guns after adding a brake to them. They are not a very big shop and their customer service is top notch. For the most part, it stays on my LMT 10.5. It is all titanium, light and very well made. Sound suppression is very good. If I was to buy another one of larger or smaller caliber, it would be a Thunder Beast again.

motoduck
08-16-12, 06:08
Knights cans are not impossible to obtain. My bet is a WTB add on one of the class 3 boards (http://www.sturmgewehr.com/ http://www.subguns.com/) would get an instant response from a stocking dealer. Make the purchase and have it transferred to your local C3 dealer. You could also try Knesek or Lawmens both of which will probably have them in stock.

http://www.knesekguns.com/commercial/

http://www.lawmens.net/

ImmortalArms
08-25-12, 18:38
I shoot a Huntertown Kestrel on a 10.5" AR. Does an amazing job pulling the concussion and sound down and balances the weight out pretty nicely. For the money, it is hard to beat.

veeklog
08-25-12, 18:49
My new suppressor will be a YHM Titatium; i have heard nothing but good things about it and comes with QD mount. Best value for the money.

far9mm
08-25-12, 18:54
You guys might laugh at me but I am using a econo can on both my ak47 and ar15 SBR with a 10.5 barrel. So far I am still using the same oil filter that came with them each about 500 rounds and still going. I don't recommend them for pistols cause it blocks the sights but for rifles it's great.

grunt0351
08-30-12, 00:23
how does the econo can work as far as sound suppression are the rifles safe to shoot without hearing pro? any noticable differences in accuracy? thanks for your time.

JasonM
08-30-12, 09:23
You guys might laugh at me but I am using a econo can on both my ak47 and ar15 SBR with a 10.5 barrel. So far I am still using the same oil filter that came with them each about 500 rounds and still going. I don't recommend them for pistols cause it blocks the sights but for rifles it's great.

The makers sell it as a .22 suppressor... I'd not trust an oil can to hold the pressures of a centerfire SBR... You're playing with grenades.

Littlehendrick
08-30-12, 15:26
I have heard lots of good things about the Thunder Beasts, but chose not to go with one because they are not full auto rated, they are really meant for bolt guns and, for me, if I run a can on a semi auto gun I am probably going to push it pretty hard and have fun with it.

With that said, my dealer has pushed a Thunder Beast 30 can hard on a .308 semi auto and has had no issues with it, but I personally didnt want to take the chance.

Now, if I was looking for a dedicated bolt gun can, I would go with a thunder beast all day long.

If you dont want to go with AAC, then I would, like Jason suggests, stick with the Surefire stuff. I have also heard really good things about the YHM Titanium cans(not any of the others, but the titanium in particular).

Thunder Beast Arms has a full auto rated 556 can. Talked with them at a demo of their stuff probably a year ago. They warranty it down to a 7" full auto rig. They call it their 223A. Maybe another option to consider? They do enjoy hard testing their cans, as they want to make sure they work.

RyanB
08-30-12, 16:32
Surefire SOCOM mini would be my choice. It fixes the complaint that carbon makes the can stick and the price is reduced. Better flash suppressor too.

far9mm
08-30-12, 17:44
The makers sell it as a .22 suppressor... I'd not trust an oil can to hold the pressures of a centerfire SBR... You're playing with grenades.

Compared to my YHM SS can the sound is the same. I can shoot it with out any ear protection. I talked to the owner Tom cole and he said it works fine with 223 and 762x39 and it was ok to fire. I did not no it was only made for rimfire. When I got it he said it was for 223 and 762x39. They also made one for .308 witch I am waiting to get.

Reagans Rascals
08-30-12, 17:49
no thoughts on Ops Inc?......

RyanB
08-30-12, 18:17
OPS cans are good. adapters are spendy and so is installation but the FMBS concept is solid.

gafirefighter
08-30-12, 21:22
Thunder Beast Arms has a full auto rated 556 can. Talked with them at a demo of their stuff probably a year ago. They warranty it down to a 7" full auto rig. They call it their 223A. Maybe another option to consider? They do enjoy hard testing their cans, as they want to make sure they work.

I am really liking their stuff. I was looking at the 223A, and have talked with Zak about it. Seems like a good group of guys who make a great product. Like I said, just too many options.

Reagans Rascals
08-30-12, 21:55
I'd also maybe look at the Delta P Designs Brevis 5.56 can...

I really like the concept of a shorter but fatter can... none of us are SDM's or Snipers when in a HD or civilian situation... so muzzle flash is a non-issue IMO...

I say this because, while suppression is still great with a shorter but fatter can, muzzle flash isn't greatly reduced...

http://www.deltapdesign.com/suppressors/brevis-5-56-Compact-suppressor

sangria7
09-02-12, 17:14
Anyone know the shortest suppressor that will attach to a standard A2 cage or the BC 2.0?

I will be running a 11.5 BCM upper btw.

TehLlama
09-04-12, 13:15
Unless I'm wildly misunderstanding the OP, you're looking at already owning an FA212, and looking for something that will see use on a Mk18 upper - so one of the smaller SF cans - Mini or Micro - is the only option I consider reasonable. Being able to swap the 212 and the smaller can among the same pair of uppers adds huge amounts of flexibility, and can make your Mk18 upper a good all-around unit with the 6" can installed, and make your other upper (presuming it's longer) more svelte with the smaller suppressor.