PDA

View Full Version : 14.5"-16" + Suppressor Handling

Fr0gger
08-14-12, 19:39
Can anyone give me an idea of how a 14.5"-16" AR-15 handles with a suppressor attached? I am looking into building a carbine of a length that I would be reasonably easy to handle suppressed, while also not being teeth-rattling while shot unsuppressed (which it would be predominantly).

Any metaphors/similes or comparisons to other firearm/barrel length combinations would be great, as suppressors have only recently become legal here, and thus my encounters with handling an AR with one are donuts :( . Also, while I am mainly referring to a suppressor of typical size (M4-2000 -ish), I realize that one of those new-fangled mini suppressors would fit nicely into this role, and I would be curious to hear about how these handle as well. Thank you in advance for any help.

saddlerocker
08-14-12, 22:48
I think if your willing to use a flash hider mount instead of a brake, a 12.5" would be really nice.

If I was planning on a 14.5"-16" I would get a mini for sure.
Although they say the surefire mini is only 2 ounces lighter than the 212....

CoryCop25
08-14-12, 22:53
I run an AAC Mini4 on my 16 inch Middy. It makes for quite a long rifle. I will agree on the 12.5 as the best choice. My 12.5 with Mini4 attached is 34 inches total and quite quiet. It is of my opinion that the AAC Mini4 is quieter, lighter and a slimmer profile than the Surefire Mini.

16 inch middy with AAC Mini4 attached:

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/ARs/e04e820e.jpg

RyanB
08-14-12, 23:32
There is a world of difference between an M4FA on a government profile barrel with a 9.0 and a mini on a lightweight 14.5 with a 12.0. the farther you get your hand out, the shorter the barrel and the can, the better off you are. 14.5 with a 12.0 and mini is sweet.

JasonM
08-15-12, 10:50
take a pound and a half or 2 pounds of coins, fill up a paper towel tube cut to 6.5" with it, and duct tape it as far out from your muzzle as possible.

Swing the gun around.

Fill out SBR paperwork. ;)

saddlerocker
08-15-12, 10:53
take a pound and a half or 2 pounds of coins, fill up a paper towel tube cut to 6.5" with it, and duct tape it as far out from your muzzle as possible.

Swing the gun around.

Fill out SBR paperwork. ;)

A full sized 556 can weighs about 16oz (1lb) from Surefire or AAC

Granted it is about the weight of another barrel hanging off the end of your current barrel, but not 2lbs

markm
08-15-12, 11:06
I run my can on my 14.5. It's long and nose heavy.

gafirefighter
08-15-12, 11:39
I run a 556-212 on my Colt 16" 6720. While it is a little front heavy, I really like the way it shoots. Since I am not clearing houses in Mogadishu, I really did not need this rifle to be super short. I would buy the suppressor you want, and see how it rides. If you don't like the weight or balance, then I would SBR the rifle. That way you can keep shooting it while you wait for your next stamp.

Adam

JasonM
08-15-12, 12:24
A full sized 556 can weighs about 16oz (1lb) from Surefire or AAC

Granted it is about the weight of another barrel hanging off the end of your current barrel, but not 2lbs

You're right, 20+ ounces once the mount is added to an M4-2000 (17.6oz).

Or almost a pound and 3 quarters if we are talking about the KAC NT-4.

Point is, it's heavy and even moreso the further out it gets.

Magic_Salad0892
08-15-12, 12:39
It sucks. Get an SBR.

TehLlama
08-15-12, 14:11
I have a 16" that wears an OPS M4S - a really pretty tiny can, and the most positive thing I have to say about how that upper handles is that it's way better than my SPR upper.

Fr0gger
08-15-12, 19:43
Thank you all for your input. It sounds like 12.5" would be the ticket, being short enough to still be wieldy while suppressed, but still not blast-tastic while unsuppressed. I would go this route, but unfortunately Michigan Government doesn't like it when your rifle barrel is shorter than 16", so this isn't an option for me at the moment. Hopefully this may change in the near future with a little political activism. Time to start contacting my representatives!

saddlerocker
08-15-12, 20:44
Well since an SBR isnt possible I would go with a mini or even better an OPS INC

The OPS inc are reflex so they go back over the barrel a bit.
Being that it will be on a 14.5" or 16" you will have enough room in front of even a 12" rail to mount the can.
It will keep the overall length shorter than AAC/Surefire/YHM ect...
The Price is good and there are multiple lengths to choose from.
Reflex cans are also supposed to have less gas blowback.

Check out ADCO for the collar mounting and buying the suppressor if you go that route.

Aries144
08-16-12, 02:33
I know you mentioned you only want occasional suppression, but if you don't mind leaving the can attached, a thread mount can can offer similar weight and length to a mini can while still offering performance comparable to a full-size can.

I'm running a Ranger 2 on a BCM 16" lightweight and don't find it muzzle heavy at all, though the rifle is about the length of an M16A2. The feel to me is significantly less muzzle-heavy than my Bulgarian 5.56 AK was when I had the optic and flashlight mounted forward of the magazine on an Ultimak rail.

The Ranger 2 is a thread mount can with a weight of 15.5 oz and an overall length of 5.75." The added weight, and length over an a2 flash hider comes out to 13.5 oz and (roughly) 4", respectively. It has similar sound performance to a mid-level full-size 5.56 can.

Compare that with the numbers for a mini4 (17.5 oz with mount and 5.25"), which would have an added weight and length of 15.5 oz and (roughly) 3.5". This can will be louder than a full-size 5.56 can.

Compare again with the numbers for the M4-2000: added weight 19.5 oz, added length (roughly) 4.87". It is one of the quietest 5.56 cans made.

The Ranger 3, which is due out some time in the future, will be about 1.5 oz lighter and quieter than the Ranger 2.

You pick up some length and weight to get quick attach. I'm fine with only removing the can to clean once or twice a year and reattaching with Rocksett to save on weight and length.