PDA

View Full Version : Sanity Check

clemet
08-14-12, 22:20
I have been wanting to buy my own M4 for a while. I have used them for a while being in the military, but my experience with tear down and such is to clean them. So I have been looking at a Daniel's and swapping out a couple things such as the charging handle, but got to thinking that I could build something just as good for a decent price ~$2k. I have come up with the list, and was hoping for someone to look it over and make sure that I haven't missed anything or if I need to research a little more to find a better product. I not looking to build a competitive weapon just something for personal defense/range time. Thanks.

Lower
$115.00 Spikes Tactical Lower (Multi) Forged Spider - Fire/Safe Markings
$169.95 Spikes Tactical Lower Kit - Spike's Enhanced Parts Kit
$20.00 SLAP Plate
$18.95 Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard M16/AR15
$36.95 BCM Milspec Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube) 6 Position
$4.50 Carbine Action Spring
$22.95 H Carbine Buffer
$92.15 Magpul CTR-M (Milspec) Stock BLACK
$19.95 Magpul Enhanced Rubber Buttpad (for Milspec CTR Stocks)
$29.95 BCM GUNFIGHTER's Grip Mod 1
Upper
$110.00 Daniel Defense A4 Upper Receiver, Assembly
$279.00 Daniel Defense 16" 5.56mm Carbine, 1:7, M4 Profile
$10.00 Daniel Defense Carbine Length Gas Tub Assembly
$52.00 Daniel Defense .750 Clamp Low Profile Gas Block
$8.00 Daniel Defense A2 Flash Hider Assembly
$159.00 BCM Bolt Carrier Group (MPI) - Auto
$44.95 Vltor BCM Gunfighter Mod 4 Charging Handle
$8.95 Bravo Company Barrel Nut - AR15
$10.50 BCM Delta Ring Assembly
$227.95 Vltor CASV-M MID LENGTH - Black
$67.25 TangoDown Vertical Forend Grip AR-15 Polymer (Black)
Optics
$420.00 Aimpoint PRO Patrol Rifle Optic With Mount
$32.80 Killflash for Aimpoints

scoutfsu99
08-14-12, 22:32
For the money you're trying to sink into that lower, you could buy a complete, quality lower and still come out ahead.

Split66
08-14-12, 22:47
Go factory gun. Marty Daniel and crew are better at building them than you are. Especially if you are to planning to use it for any serious "social" work (PD/HD scenario).

You can always build one later, focus on the gun/ammo/training/practice and then worry about shopping lists.

Iraqgunz
08-14-12, 22:55
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920MP

MegademiC
08-15-12, 01:34
buying individual parts like that is going to get you a rifle for 2x what its worth... meaning you are ripping yourself off.

I would highly suggest a stock bcm, DD, colt, or noveske and figure out what you want from training. Maybe a midlength, with a 12" or so rail... but I wouldnt get any more "custom" than that for a 1st AR.

for 2k you can buy a KAC with ambi lower, railed upper, etc.

pira114
08-15-12, 02:51
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=6920MP

Bingo.

Sticks
08-15-12, 05:37
You can not buy an upper and assemble cheaper than buying one outright (you forgot tools).

Aside from the satisfaction of assembling it yourself, it's damn hard to go the DIY route and come out cheaper than buying outright.

Do some more shopping around, you can get better pricing on some of your components.

My first was a lower assembly and a complete upper. I came in at $2.5k all said and done. I have been trying to come up with a DMR assembly and am running into the same issue, I can't keep it under $2.5k. OUT OF STOCK is an issue as well.

Buying a DD and swapping out a few components is not all that bad.

If Grant (G&R Tactical) has all the components, or at least most, you can have him put it together for you and save quite a bit.

jasonhgross
08-15-12, 06:35
Also agree on a 6920 in some flavor. Other option I like is a Noveske N4 Recce Basic for around $1500. I just got one, I love the simplicity, accuracy, fit, and finish. If you get the complete rifle, you wont have to swap out at thing, only add a sling, flashlight (I use a MCTAR whatever from MI industries and Vltor scout mount), and Optic. You will get an amazing barrel, great BUIS (Troy), great grip, and outstanding stock. I suppose the only upgrade you may look into is a drop-in free-float. Good options there are Centurion and DD Omega.

fixit69
08-15-12, 16:18
IF you look long enough, you can come close to the price of a factory rifle. But it's going to be over the price, and you haven't got the tools yet.

But you know this. And you want to know more about your rifle. That's awsome, keep it up and recruit more to do the same. Keep it safe, research, research and... Oh yea, research some more. Ask questions till your blue in the face the ask some more.

Know, don't guess. You're messing with shit that can kill or seriously injure you or somebody else. Read, ask questions of other more knowledgeable than yourself. And when you think you know, do it again. Seek advice from gunsmiths, armorers and buy quality components. TAKE AN ARMORERS COURSE. You want to know then don't half ass it. Do not ask bubba at the range, your buddy from the military(no offence)or anyone who has not done it many, many times, correctly. It's the way I learned. I've rambled on enough.

Oh yea, your parts list... Looks good. I would use one of Grants LPKs, but thats personal preference. He's a good guy and he knows quality.

Bizzarolibe
08-15-12, 16:35
I would build the lower and buy an assembled upper. I would also go mid-length over carbine length gas systems every time, especially on a 16" barrel.

The Rainier Arms CE16 upper is the best deal on the market at this time, and uses a DD CHF barrel as well as other top-quality components:

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1722

Texas42
08-15-12, 17:31
Go factory gun. Marty Daniel and crew are better at building them than you are. Especially if you are to planning to use it for any serious "social" work (PD/HD scenario).

You can always build one later, focus on the gun/ammo/training/practice and then worry about shopping lists.

+1

Hard to know what you don't like till you shoot it.

DIRTMAN556
08-15-12, 18:09
You can find relatively inexpensive furniture in the marketplace.

Tzook
08-16-12, 11:23
Go factory, no question about it

zimm17
08-16-12, 13:59
I just built a whole AR from parts. Works great, but I'm unhappy with the fit between the spike's upper and lower. Lots of wobble. I don't know why people praise their stuff so much.

If I did it over again, I would have bought a whole Noveske or Daniel and be done with it for just a few hundred more $$$. I don't care about resale- I don't sell guns.

Rethink the M4 profile- I really like my daniel lighweight barrel- knocked 1/2 pound off the front of my rifle. You need a .625 gas block though.