View Full Version : My all time favorite rifle to date

CoryCop25
08-14-12, 22:26
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/M%2016/P1010548.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/M%2016/P1010547.jpg

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/M%2016/P1010549.jpg

Specs:

Upper:
Vltor VIS-2A 10 inch Polylithic upper receiver.
Daniel Defense 12.5 CHF barrel
Noveske/Vltor micro gas block (pinned)
AAC Breakout
BCM Bolt Carrier Group
BCM Gunfighter Mod5
Troy FDE Sights with HK Front
Aimpoint Micro H-1 (4MOA)on a LaRue tall mount
Surefire M600 Scout on a Gear Sector scout mount
LaRue Index Clips and Handstop

Lower:
Colt M16 lower (early production before the A-1)
All original Colt M16 lower parts
EXCEPT:
Prototype Battle Arms Development Short throw 45/180 degree Ambi Selector
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
Damage Industries QD Endplate
Vltor A5 receiver extension with H4 buffer
Magpul MIAD
Older style Vltor iMod Stock

Extras:
Vickers VCAS Padded sling by Blue Force Gear
AAC Mini4 Suppressor

Custom Modifications:
I was contemplating using the two hand stops in the manner suggested by LaRue which is one on the bottom and one on the left side to "drive" the gun. I found that to be too bulky. I spent extra money on a Gear Sector light mount to tuck the M600 into the rifle more so why make the profile wider by adding a hand stop on the side?
I had a bright idea to drill a hole in between two rail slots and attach a Magpul QD socket from my UBR stock. It bolted on solid and now performs two functions. First obviously, to be a sling attachment point and second, to act as a side hand stop. The only complaint is that the QD socket is not anti rotational.
As you can see by the pictures, I use the stock as my rear sling attachment point. So why spend the money on a QD endplate? I have a sling attached to my plate carrier and that connects to the endplate. I also have a QD on the lower left side of my plate carrier that attaches to the front QD socket to secure the rifle in a safe position in the event I am using less lethal or door breaching tools.

Performance:
The A5 system is smooth as butter! I just added the heavier buffer today so I didn't get to test it out yet. The rate of fire on full auto while suppressed is crazy and I am hoping to slow it down a bit with the heavier buffer. If the rifle chokes, I will change buffers until I get the proper function. I have been told by many that the H4 will be fine.
The 12.5 inch barrel is truly the best of both worlds. I have a 10.3 and even suppressed, it is quite loud. The 12.5 is easy on the ears suppressed and unsuppressed. I think the small AAC Mini4 is perfect for this rifle. No hearing protection is needed even on full auto and the total length with the can attached and the stock pulled out to where it is comfortable for me to shoot is 34 inches and when running plates I collapse the stock down a bit and it's 32.5 inches.
This rifle is suppressed about 90% of the time and is more controllable then I expected on full auto. A 4 or 5 shot burst will stay on silhouette at 50 yards if I do my part. It is much more fun on full auto but MUCH more accurate on semi.

Accuracy:
320 yards standing unsupported with an Aimpoint H-1 on an 18X36 steel plate. What more can I ask for!
I am not a distance shooter but it feels good to know that I can take the shot if needed.
The rifle groups very nice at 50 yards and it basically shoots better than me.

eleven
08-14-12, 22:38

M4Fundi
08-15-12, 01:26
Looks great! How do you like the BrakeOut Comp?

CoryCop25
08-15-12, 02:12
That looks like a thought out, well put together rifle. I love the red, white & blue also! Great job man, I hope she serves you well.

Thank You Very Much!

Looks great! How do you like the BrakeOut Comp?

Thank you!

I absolutely love the Breakouts! I have 4 of them and one Blackout. The Breakouts are a bit loud but the recoil reduction makes up for it. The Blackout really does its job but you have to time them or you will get a funny lift to one side or the other depending on where the slots line up.

markm
08-15-12, 09:13
Obama should take it BACK!

fallenromeo
08-15-12, 10:01
I can see why that is your favorite. That is a beautiful rifle with nice parts.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
08-15-12, 10:14
Edit N/M I'm and idiot. Nice stick!

masakari
08-15-12, 10:29
Excellent rifle, well thought out. Im jealous of both the rifle and your current location (im a misplaced Philadelphian)
Bring it to Tanner's Sports Center and show it off, those guys will love it!

Ironman8
08-15-12, 11:35
Glad to hear that you're enjoying it! I've got one with fairly similar specs as yours that I'm expecting to clear within the next month :D

CoryCop25
08-16-12, 00:23
Thanks for the kind words guys!
Markm, Obama probably should have used this when he put Usama down...:rolleyes:

I was thinking of swapping out one of my T-1s and addIng a vampire head on the M600. This would make it fully nv capable.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

darwing31
08-16-12, 02:33
Awesome build. Thanks for sharing.

markm
08-16-12, 07:44
Thanks for the kind words guys!
Markm, Obama probably should have used this when he put Usama down...:rolleyes:

I was thinking he could take the DRMO guns and issue them to his cartel buddies! :p

Ironman8
08-16-12, 07:52
I was thinking of swapping out one of my T-1s and addIng a vampire head on the M600. This would make it fully nv capable.

This is what I am going to have on mine...love the versatility of the Vampire heads

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Don't forget an IR laser.

This is what I'm going to put at my 12:00 in front of my Troy fixed front sight: http://tnvc.com/shop/ldi-lastac-2-class-1-ir-pistol-laser/

CoryCop25
08-16-12, 13:04
Don't forget an IR laser.

This is what I'm going to put at my 12:00 in front of my Troy fixed front sight: http://tnvc.com/shop/ldi-lastac-2-class-1-ir-pistol-laser/

That is very affordable and a much lighter package than the standard dbal.

Ironman8
08-16-12, 13:10
That is very affordable and a much lighter package than the standard dbal.

Yes sir ;)

Less bulk, weight, price, and I'm sure better battery life...

And as you can see in post #66 from THIS THREAD (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94628&page=4), it will give you plenty of range if you need it at night...:cool:

docsherm
08-16-12, 14:20
Very nice. I have a set up very similar to that. Handles great.

CoryCop25
08-17-12, 17:11
Yes sir ;)

Less bulk, weight, price, and I'm sure better battery life...

And as you can see in post #66 from THIS THREAD (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94628&page=4), it will give you plenty of range if you need it at night...:cool:

I did read that thread a while ago. I didn't realize it was going to be that affordable! I will have to look into that further as I like to cut weight as much as I can.

Very nice. I have a set up very similar to that. Handles great.

Thanks, it does. Markm's thread on his 12.5 at 700 yards grabbed my interest in the 12.5 barrel and I could not be happier! Markm should be proud! I should have used some LWRCi stuff to really make him happy...:p

Jah_Shwalker
08-18-12, 12:10
Great looking build and the red, white, and blue is a nice touch too.

SilencedShooster
08-20-12, 12:42
Nice AR. The red, white, & blue is a nice touch.

opdsgt
08-20-12, 13:13
Looks like the flag of France to me. :moil:

Littlelebowski
08-20-12, 14:06
Oh man, I want to shoot this. Nice build, man.

CoryCop25
08-20-12, 18:15
Oh man, I want to shoot this. Nice build, man.

You are more than welcome to as soon as I can get down to an F2S class!