PDA

View Full Version : Barrel to Rail Length Question???

bobslife6826
08-16-12, 19:24
I'm sure this has been asked a million times; and I've done plenty of searching but I'm still a little confused, and I need to get this right the first time as the saying goes, "measure twice, cut once"

I'm building a very short SBR; I'm using a Centurion Arms C4 carbine length rail, and want around an 8 inch barrel. I will be using a YHM Wraith suppressor, that is a Quick Detach from their Wraith Flash hider. So I need to make sure the rail will not obstruct or interfere with the flash hider as the suppressor will attach to it.

I have the rail in hand, and it measures 7 & 1/4 inches long.

The barrel is going to be cut down; so I can do any length I want.
Will an 8 barrel give enough clearance, or should I do 8 & 1/8 in or 8 & 1/4 in.

I would like there to be around an 1/8 - 1/4 inch gap between where the rail end and the back of the flash hider begins.......Does anyone how I can measure this out??

Anyone have any pictures of a similar set up would be appreciated.

Thank you for your help.

pcf
08-16-12, 19:59
If you have the barrel handy, why not put the whole thing together and find out how much barrel you need to cut off? Whether you do it or the smith does, probably the best route is to mock it up and figure out what you have to work with.

Iraqgunz
08-16-12, 21:57
I wouldn't use an 8" barrel and you should seriously do your homework before you do anything.

Many suppressor companies will not warranty their cans on barrels that are below 10.5".

bobslife6826
08-17-12, 18:29
I wouldn't use an 8" barrel and you should seriously do your homework before you do anything.

Many suppressor companies will not warranty their cans on barrels that are below 10.5".

I figured I would get these kind of responses; but that because I left out some details to try and keep this short.

Its for a pistol cal. build......that's why around 8" barrel

No I do not have the barrel in hand......only have the rail

Can anyone help

Iraqgunz
08-17-12, 21:45
It doesn't change the facts. Pistols are worthless. Get an SBR or stick with the standard carbine.

Pistol or not, the use of a suppressor on less than 10" MAY VOID ANY WARRANTY if you have a baffle strike.

You can do what you want, but I highly encourage you not to do so.

I figured I would get these kind of responses; but that because I left out some details to try and keep this short.

Its for a pistol cal. build......that's why around 8" barrel

No I do not have the barrel in hand......only have the rail

Can anyone help

bobslife6826
08-17-12, 22:38
It doesn't change the facts. Pistols are worthless. Get an SBR or stick with the standard carbine.

Pistol or not, the use of a suppressor on less than 10" MAY VOID ANY WARRANTY if you have a baffle strike.

You can do what you want, but I highly encourage you not to do so.

I said pistol cal.; as in 45acp & the suppressor in question is the YHM Wraith 45, which is rated for sub machine guns/full auto/short barrel.

So I guess you can't actually answer the original question though?

Alaskapopo
08-17-12, 22:43
Iraqgunz knows what he is talking about and no where in your post did you mention the caliber. He was trying to save you money and disaster. Sounds like a stand up thing to do. No reason to bash him.
Pat

Iraqgunz
08-17-12, 22:45
Knock yourself out. Let us know how it works.

I said pistol cal.; as in 45acp & the suppressor in question is the YHM Wraith 45, which is rated for sub machine guns/full auto/short barrel.

So I guess you can't actually answer the original question though?

Koshinn
08-20-12, 13:15
bobslife - contact YHM directly and ask them how much barrel is needed behind the flash hider. Then I'd probably add at least 1/8-1/4" of extra exposed barrel to what they recommend, just incase.

markm
08-20-12, 13:33
It'd be best to have the mount, rail, and upper receiver in hand. That way you could psuedo assemble the barrel and upper... and then see how much of the mount sticks over the shoulder of the barrel.

RyanB
08-20-12, 14:16
Iraqgunz knows what he is talking about and no where in your post did you mention the caliber. He was trying to save you money and disaster. Sounds like a stand up thing to do. No reason to bash him.
Pat

Post number four identified it as a pistol caliber build. IG took that to mean rifle caliber pistol in post number five. OPs frustration in post six is understandable.

Contact YHM or measure a can at the dealer to get the figure. Best solution.

wahoo95
08-20-12, 15:55
I would wait until you have it all in hand.