PDA

View Full Version : Secret Service thanks baker for saying no to Biden visit

feedramp
08-16-12, 21:21
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-radford-business-owner-declines-joe-bidens-request-to-stop-in-store-20120815,0,4370357.story

Why in the world would a new business owner say "no" to a photo op with the Vice President of the United States?

McMurray said it was President Obama's recent remarks about small business and who built what.

"Very simply, ‘you didn't build that’” McMurray said. “Speaking of small businesses and entrepreneurs all across this country and actually last night my wife was up all night. No sleep, she's worked a full 24 hours."

[W]e’re told that shortly after Crumb and Get It told Biden’s advance people 'no' -- the secret service walked in and told Chris McMurray ''Thanks for standing up and saying 'no' -- then they bought a whole bunch of cookies and cupcakes.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/secret-service-bought-cupcakes-to-thank-baker-for-turning-down-biden/article/2505119#.UC1Cotmnc9o

McMurray refused to host the Biden entourage as a protest of Obama’s comment, made in the nearby town of Roanoke, that “if you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that.”

The Secret Service’s purchase proved to be a herald of things to come, as Virginia locals rewarded McMurray with a rush of business this morning. The bakery ran out of food by 1:15 pm.

a0cake
08-16-12, 21:49
If true, that is the most unprofessional thing I've ever heard. How can anybody find something enjoyable about this? I don't care what your politics are; the organization that protects the president and vice president absolutely cannot weigh in on partisan politics. When acting in an official capacity, the agents must be completely apolitical. Offering tacit support for any political statement, entity, or position, is completely unacceptable.

Having said that, I greatly doubt that the accounts given are an accurate portrayal of what happened.

Honu
08-16-12, 23:01
If true, that is the most unprofessional thing I've ever heard. How can anybody find something enjoyable about this? I don't care what your politics are; the organization that protects the president and vice president absolutely cannot weigh in on partisan politics. When acting in an official capacity, the agents must be completely apolitical. Offering tacit support for any political statement, entity, or position, is completely unacceptable.

Having said that, I greatly doubt that the accounts given are an accurate portrayal of what happened.

this and the hooker scandal

either some people are being setup ?
or they are human and have feelings etc.. and/or who knows

I had a buddy who years ago who was one of the Marines at the white house ? not sure his role never asked him much about it other than he got moved from his position cause he got in a fight at a local bar and he was no SS just a marine guard from my understanding and he said he was under a microscope the whole time so cant think these guys who are SS are/would be allowed to get away with this kinda behavior and also on top of all of it that they are the type not to act professionally and are above all this so it would never come into question in the first place ?

but who knows ? I sure dont :) and doubt anyone who does would say anything :)

maybe maybe not ? maybe the baker wanted some press and got it ? maybe not ?
we will never know :)

feedramp
08-16-12, 23:08
If true, that is the most unprofessional thing I've ever heard.
Guess you haven't heard much, then. :D

a0cake
08-17-12, 00:03
Guess you haven't heard much, then. :D

If you don't see something very wrong with the agency that protects the presidency getting involved in political infighting, then you're ****ing delusional and too blinded by your own political inclinations to think at a level above full ****ing retard. Just because you happen to agree with the politics doesn't make it right. Imagine if this story was about a vice president that you supported. Only a full on idiot could be too small minded to step outside their own bias and see the obvious problem here.

But again, I have doubts about this story.

feedramp
08-17-12, 00:05
Firstly, I can guarantee you the story is wishful thinking.
Secondly, I was simply pointing out your exaggeration. I am in no way defending such an act were it actually the case.

a0cake
08-17-12, 00:12
Firstly, I can guarantee you the story is wishful thinking.
Secondly, I was simply pointing out your exaggeration. I am in no way defending such an act were it actually the case.

Right, that must be why you had the cool-guy sunglasses by the thread title before the edit. But oh heavens no, you're in no way defending it. Cool story bro.

And name an action that could classify as "unprofessional" that is more unprofessional than the SS getting involved in political bickering.

(In before conspiracy theories. Doesn't count. If true, those would count as TREASONOUS, not unprofessional. "Most unprofessional" deals with the extent to which an act is unprofessional. And there is nothing in the realm of professionalism more egregious than the SS maligning the VP they're sworn to protect.)

/thread.

Belmont31R
08-17-12, 00:47
Here's the back story, we’re told that shortly after Crumb and Get It told Biden’s advance people 'no' -- the secret service walked in and told Chris McMurray ''Thanks for standing up and saying 'no' -- then they bought a whole bunch of cookies and cupcakes.

This paragraph is garbage.

First off Secret Service is capitalized. This mistake kinda makes the author seem like they don't really know what they are writing about, and I don't really trust local news authors all that much to begin with.

Secondly...if you've seen a bunch of pictures of Secret Service guys who are part of protection details they don't exactly wear uniforms and badges...so where's the proof they were actually Secret Service protection guys? Prior to this the article mentioned Biden's 'entourage' coming in which implies it's not just Secret Service guys, and who's the source who can distinguish who's who in a pile of people?

I don't want to stray too far from what I do know but maybe someone else can answer...during elections when candidates are jumping from one place to another are the details all SS or do they augment with other Federal agencies? I can't imagine SS keeps enough staff around when once every 4 years we have an election, and these guys are playing pin the dot on a map.

This story may still be true...but not likely given the evidence.

I do agree the Secret Service should not be partisan, and why I could never do that job. Hats off to those who can and do that job.

PS: Its always a good idea to search the name of the author of the article. This guy Salinas seems like a no name guy who's jumped around from one channel to another. Not exactly the most trust worthy source.

Redmanfms
08-17-12, 01:35
1. I don't believe this article is true.

2. If it is, this action combined with the Colombian hooker scandal means that some serious house cleaning/priority realignment is long overdue.

I'm with a0cake on this one, an organization meant to provide protection to our nation's political leaders getting involved in petty political squabbles is not good. It is the open door to very ungood things.

Sensei
08-17-12, 07:06
I don't want to stray too far from what I do know but maybe someone else can answer...during elections when candidates are jumping from one place to another are the details all SS or do they augment with other Federal agencies? I can't imagine SS keeps enough staff around when once every 4 years we have an election, and these guys are playing pin the dot on a map.

There is a Uniformed Division to the SS that primarily guards the WH grounds, but also provides bomb detection, counter snipers, etc. when POTUS travels. This could be the SS agents that the author mentions.

Other federal agencies are involved in POTUS travels - especially when it involves large events like the DNC Convention and inaugurations. For example, the FBI HRT has been (and will likely continue to be) available for such events.

markm
08-17-12, 08:34
Willie Nelson claims to have smoked weed with the Secret Service on the roof or balcony of the White House.

I don't find it unbelieveable that an Agent could have dropped a comment.

But... who cares?

Sensei
08-17-12, 08:50
Willie Nelson claims to have smoked weed with the Secret Service on the roof or balcony of the White House.

I don't find it unbelieveable that an Agent could have dropped a comment.

But... who cares?

Didn't you read the earlier post? If true, it is the most unprofessional thing - ever. :rolleyes:

SMETNA
08-17-12, 08:59
If you don't see something very wrong with the agency that protects the presidency getting involved in political infighting, then you're ****ing delusional and too blinded by your own political inclinations to think at a level above full ****ing retard.

Is it possible for you to tactfully disagree with someone? Or must you always lob insults in your signature $10 word-laden rants designed to make everyone think you're a sophisticated intellectual? (which has the opposite effect)

markm
08-17-12, 08:59
Didn't you read the earlier post? If true, it is the most unprofessional thing - ever. :rolleyes:

Hey! At least they didn't give him the "Sadat" package! :eek:

C4IGrant
08-17-12, 09:03

As I am sure you know, the USSS likes SOME Presidents more than others. Agents have ALWAYS "leaked" comments out about a President, VP, etc forever.

Because of the nature of my business and the people I am friends with, I hear comments like this (and much worse) all the time.

IMHO, as long as they do their job, I have no problem with them having an opinion on politics.

C4

feedramp
08-17-12, 09:04
Right, that must be why you had the cool-guy sunglasses by the thread title before the edit. But oh heavens no, you're in no way defending it. Cool story bro.
I removed that because I could see the sarcastic use of that emoticon eluded you. Figured it would be best to curb such mistaken responses, especially since you're intent on going full-retard about it.
I did not alter a single word of my actual post, which you might note does not contain an opinion, it is simply reporting an interesting news event. So that's correct, I'm not defending what the Service may have done (but likely did not).

Sensei
08-17-12, 10:11
And name an action that could classify as "unprofessional" that is more unprofessional than the SS getting involved in political bickering.

Well, call me old fashioned but I seem to remember the actions of a particular President who was partial to a White House intern as being just a little more unprofessional than the alleged statements of these USSS agents. Specifically, this President allowed said intern (who was 30-years his junior) into the Oval Office to lay slobber upon his knobber - on several different occasions. On at least one of those occasions, he made phone calls from the Oval Office in his official capacity as POTUS while said intern gave him oral pleasure. On another rendezvous, our hero whitewashed the intern in such a manner that her blue dress became a national spectacle. Not wanting to be considered selfish, Mr. President reciprocated the intern's efforts by pleasuring her with a cigar cover while she assumed the dorsal lithotomy position on the Oval Office desk (rumors have it that the Presidential planning pad still has a strange odor). I'll stop there since the fallout of these actions resulted in additional unprofessional actions on both sides of the political spectrum that mired the country in gridlock for the better part of 2 years.

Yep, all this seems a little more unprofessional than anything the USSS might have SAID to the owner of a bakery.

tb-av
08-17-12, 10:34
Here's the back story, we’re told that shortly after Crumb and Get It told Biden’s advance people 'no' -- the secret service walked in and told Chris McMurray ''Thanks for standing up and saying 'no' -- then they bought a whole bunch of cookies and cupcakes.

I think you guys are reading way more into this than was there. First off it's an edited and unfinished quote.

The SS guy could have simply come back and said thanks, we appreciate your being honest with us, it makes our job much easier and safer for everyone.

I see nothing at all wrong with that. In fact the SS guy could have easily been an Obama supporter as well. Certainly no comparison to the hooker scandal.

maximus83
08-17-12, 10:46
and I don't really trust local news authors all that much to begin with.

I don't trust national news authors much either. Distortion, selective reporting, and outright fabrication are common. Dan Rather and Brian Ross come to mind.

davidjinks
08-17-12, 10:58
No, it's impossible for him. His shit don't stink, it smells of petunias and roses. He's never wrong and he's the king of the net. The ignore list works perfect for dicks like him.

Is it possible for you to tactfully disagree with someone? Or must you always lob insults in your signature $10 word-laden rants designed to make everyone think you're a sophisticated intellectual? (which has the opposite effect)

For those who have never been on a detail like this, I'll tell you these dudes/dudettes are 110% dedicated to the protection of the POTUS/VPOTUS and their families. But remember this, they are humans. They all have opinions. It is what it is, opinions. Those opinions do not make them less effective at their jobs. For any of you to say they shouldn't be allowed to have those opinions...that's just idiocy!

Belmont,

The only time I've seen uniformed SS guys is when I got pulled for details in DC. Other than that, it was suits and ties. Many local/state LE are augmented for additional support among others. That's all I'll say.

davidjinks
08-17-12, 11:02
Friends of mine who had Clinton details hated it. The Bush details I had, I loved it. Buddies of mine who are still doing VIPS for Obama, dislike it.

I agre with you 100%. They are their opinions just like we have. However, they would never compromise their protectees because of those opinions.

As I am sure you know, the USSS likes SOME Presidents more than others. Agents have ALWAYS "leaked" comments out about a President, VP, etc forever.

Because of the nature of my business and the people I am friends with, I hear comments like this (and much worse) all the time.

IMHO, as long as they do their job, I have no problem with them having an opinion on politics.

C4

chadbag
08-17-12, 11:07
Just for the general edification of our readers:

info on the SS Uniformed Division

http://www.secretservice.gov/whoweare_ud.shtml

---

lifebreath
08-17-12, 11:27
Well, call me old fashioned but I seem to remember the actions of a particular President who was partial to a White House intern as being just a little more unprofessional than the alleged statements of these USSS agents. Specifically, this President allowed said intern (who was 30-years his junior) into the Oval Office to lay slobber upon his knobber - on several different occasions. On at least one of those occasions, he made phone calls from the Oval Office in his official capacity as POTUS while said intern gave him oral pleasure. On another rendezvous, our hero whitewashed the intern in such a manner that her blue dress became a national spectacle. Not wanting to be considered selfish, Mr. President reciprocated the intern's efforts by pleasuring her with a cigar cover while she assumed the dorsal lithotomy position on the Oval Office desk ...

Kennedy? ;)

CarlosDJackal
08-17-12, 11:38
If true...

That's a very big "IF". It is entirely possible that an individual Secret Service Agent came in and did as they said in the article. But the chances that they even identified themselves as a Secret Service Agent is pretty damn slim.

This may all be based on nothing but hearsay and assumptions.

On the other hand, I applaud the Baker for his actions and if I lived anywhere close to there I would buy some of his goods as well. JM2CW.

CarlosDJackal
08-17-12, 11:43
I just had to add. If you were to look up the word "UNPROFESSIONAL" today, I would bet that a picture of obama, biden, holder, neopolitano, reid, pelosi, feinstein, bloomberg, rahm emanuel, and just about every dumboKrat currently serving at all levels will be on that page.

Just sayin'!!

Sensei
08-17-12, 11:49
Kennedy? ;)

Sadly, I was not alive for the '60s. That's too bad cause I could have done some damage during that sexual revolution...:D

a0cake
08-17-12, 14:03

C4

I think there's an important distinction between having an opinion on politics and expressing that opinion to, and in support of, someone who has just made a contentious political statement about the person you're tasked with protecting. Especially when you're still on that very assignment. And even more especially when making such a statement is guaranteed to get press because of the nature of the circumstances.

I think it's clear that this is vastly different from a USSS agent simply having a political affiliation. "Agent Joe Smith is a Republican" is not headline material or newsworthy. The scenario in question here is, and that's what makes it unprofessional IF it even happened (unlikely IMO).

C4IGrant
08-17-12, 14:12
I think there's an important distinction between having an opinion on politics and expressing that opinion to, and in support of, someone who has just made a contentious political statement about the person you're tasked with protecting. Especially when you're still on that very assignment. And even more especially when making such a statement is guaranteed to get press.

The USSS agents didn't say it to the media, the owner of the store did. It is 100% OK for a federal agent to have a convo with a lowly "citizen" (no matter what the context).

As far as the opinion being "contentious" one, I would argue that the business owners statement wasn't that way at all, BUT Obama's statement was and is considered contentious.

As a small business owner myself, I would have done the same thing as the baker.

I think it's clear that this is vastly different from a USSS agent simply having a political affiliation. "Agent Joe Smith is a Republican" is not headline material or newsworthy. The scenario in question here is, and that's what makes it unprofessional IF it even happened (unlikely IMO).

I don't know that there is any difference and Federal agents are allowed to have private convo's with anyone about anything they like IMHO.

C4

a0cake
08-17-12, 14:16
Well, call me old fashioned but I seem to remember the actions of a particular President who was partial to a White House intern as being just a little more unprofessional than the alleged statements of these USSS agents. Specifically, this President allowed said intern (who was 30-years his junior) into the Oval Office to lay slobber upon his knobber - on several different occasions. On at least one of those occasions, he made phone calls from the Oval Office in his official capacity as POTUS while said intern gave him oral pleasure. On another rendezvous, our hero whitewashed the intern in such a manner that her blue dress became a national spectacle. Not wanting to be considered selfish, Mr. President reciprocated the intern's efforts by pleasuring her with a cigar cover while she assumed the dorsal lithotomy position on the Oval Office desk (rumors have it that the Presidential planning pad still has a strange odor). I'll stop there since the fallout of these actions resulted in additional unprofessional actions on both sides of the political spectrum that mired the country in gridlock for the better part of 2 years.

Yep, all this seems a little more unprofessional than anything the USSS might have SAID to the owner of a bakery.

Yeah, in a way you are right. Those actions are especially egregious and high profile because they were being performed by the office of the presidency. So the net effect was certainly greater and more obvious.

But in another way, that misses the point. If a lowly janitor does something unprofessional, and the POTUS does something unprofessional, the consequences will be vastly different. But the inherent level of unprofessionalism is the same in each case. To say otherwise is to confuse the nature of an action with its consequence. A plumber can be just as unprofessional as a president.

So when something is said to be unprofessional, it is said within a context.

In this case - VIP protection. Protection is based on trust. Political squabbling, or even whispers of it, diminishes that trust. Undermining the central and fundamental basis of the protector / protectee relationship is what makes it so unprofessional.

a0cake
08-17-12, 14:24
The USSS agents didn't say it to the media, the owner of the store did. It is 100% OK for a federal agent to have a convo with a lowly "citizen" (no matter what the context).

As far as the opinion being "contentious" one, I would argue that the business owners statement wasn't that way at all, BUT Obama's statement was and is considered contentious.

As a small business owner myself, I would have done the same thing as the baker.

I don't know that there is any difference and Federal agents are allowed to have private convo's with anyone about anything they like IMHO.

C4

Let's look at this pragmatically. A USSS agent (supposedly) made a political statement that wound up receiving relatively widespread coverage. In your view, this is okay. You're setting a precedent that says there's nothing wrong with USSS personnel, acting in an official capacity, mind you, weighing in on politics. If it's okay now, it must be okay in the future when you disagree with what's being said. Is this really something that you think is alright, or are you just defending it because you happen to agree with the comments being made? Can you honestly say you'd have the same opinion if the agent's actions didn't align with your personal politics?

It would seem incumbent upon a USSS agent to avoid even the appearance of partisanship while acting in an official capacity. The mark of a rightful action is whether it would still seem rightful if duplicated on a grand scale. Do you really think agents making partisan statements that wind up on the news, regardless of HOW it got on the news, is something that you'd like to see more of?

Protection is based on trust. Political squabbling, or even whispers of it, diminishes that trust. There is no room for it in presidential protection. Certain jobs come with the forfeiture of certain rights, and this seems like a clear cut case of such.

a0cake
08-17-12, 14:25

You're right. That response was over the line.

C4IGrant
08-17-12, 14:37
Let's look at this pragmatically. A USSS agent (supposedly) made a political statement that wound up receiving relatively widespread coverage.

Actually a Federal agent had a private discussion with business owner. That owner then shared that convo with the media. Would I have done that? No, but I am not him.

In your view, this is okay. You're setting a precedent that says there's nothing wrong with USSS personnel, acting in an official capacity, mind you, weighing in on politics.

I would argue that they were NOT operating in an official capacity. They were simpy hungry (as evident of them buying food).

It would seem incumbent upon a USSS agent to avoid even the appearance of partisanship while acting in an official capacity. The mark of a rightful action is whether it would still seem rightful if duplicated on a grand scale. Do you really think making partisan statements that wind up on the news, regardless of HOW it got on the news, is something that you'd like to see more of?

As evident with this thread, I don't think people care and I don't think a single person would be shocked to learn that most USSS agents are conservative in their political views. So at this point, it would appear that you are the only one that thinks it is wrong for a Federal agent to say something (in private) to a business owner.

C4

a0cake
08-17-12, 14:44
Actually a Federal agent had a private discussion with business owner. That owner then shared that convo with the media. Would I have done that? No, but I am not him.

I would argue that they were NOT operating in an official capacity. They were simpy hungry (as evident of them buying food).

As evident with this thread, I don't think people care and I don't think a single person would be shocked to learn that most USSS agents are conservative in their political views. So at this point, it would appear that you are the only one that thinks it is wrong for a Federal agent to say something (in private) to a business owner.

C4

I'll respect your opinion, and I'm about done with this, so I"ll just say that there is no such thing as an "off the record" conversation.

If you're protecting the VP and make a political statement to a store owner who's just made headlines for making a political statement, professionalism requires you to assume that anything you say will become public.

If something you say in that capacity becomes public, you are responsible for that happening.

Framing this as some kind of benign, private conversation between a federal agent and a private citizen, is IMO, an obscurantist move and misses the point. I don't think the collective "groupthink" here would be so gracious if the political overtones were switched.

JMO. Have a good'un.

ETA: And the story wasn't that they were simply hungry. It was that they "bought cupcakes to thank baker for turning down Biden." In other words, BECAUSE OF what he did.

http://politics.kfyi.com/cc-common/mainheadlines3.html?feed=104707&article=10352489#ixzz23ppiDzXF

Also, it looks like our initial suspicions were accurate anyway, and this didn't happen as reported:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/update-secret-service-denies-thanking-baker-for-rejecting-biden-visit/article/2505202

chuckman
08-17-12, 14:57

I work in a Level 1 trauma center/tertiary care hospital. It is the 'go-to' for POTUS and VP visits. The last time I worked and was assigned to the trauma/resuscitation bays I got to hang out with a SS agent as he had to be there the duration of the POTUS visit. While he was very careful about separating his personal and professional opinions, he was not so careful about hiding or concealing his personal opinions, and they were not favorable to the current administration.

chadbag
08-17-12, 15:01
Also, it looks like our initial suspicions were accurate anyway, and this didn't happen as reported:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/update-secret-service-denies-thanking-baker-for-rejecting-biden-visit/article/2505202

This is not evidence that it didn't happen as reported. This is just CYA denial by the USSS.

I don't know if it happened but their denial is certainly not evidence.

--

C4IGrant
08-17-12, 15:03
I work in a Level 1 trauma center/tertiary care hospital. It is the 'go-to' for POTUS and VP visits. The last time I worked and was assigned to the trauma/resuscitation bays I got to hang out with a SS agent as he had to be there the duration of the POTUS visit. While he was very careful about separating his personal and professional opinions, he was not so careful about hiding or concealing his personal opinions, and they were not favorable to the current administration.

As it should be. This is, OF COURSE, no shocker to any of us.

C4

C4IGrant
08-17-12, 15:05
This is not evidence that it didn't happen as reported. This is just CYA denial by the USSS.

--

Right. What else are they going to say to a reporter??? "Oh yeah, we said that and are proud of it! Team America! F*CK YEAH!" :no:

C4

a0cake
08-17-12, 15:12

--

Of course not. I said "looks like." The reason that the official denial lends credence to the notion that there was inaccurate reporting going on is that it mentions how there were other personnel in the room dressed similarly to the USSS, one of which could have made the statement. This was not, as far as I recall, a fact included in the initial reporting.

Most of us, even Grant, agreed that the story seemed "off." That maybe it was being reported inaccurately. Of course, either case could be true, and this obviously COULD be a CYA move by the USSS.

But I don't see how people who originally doubted the veracity of the story anyway are all of the sudden hopping on board because an official statement came out. That doesn't make much sense.

chadbag
08-17-12, 15:19
Of course not. I said "looks like."

And in common English, "looks like" is colloquial for something you are generally agreeing with as a fact.

feedramp
08-17-12, 16:52
Come on guys, sarcasm only counts when it works on a0cake's favor (https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1370268&postcount=6).

Magic_Salad0892
08-17-12, 17:29
Kennedy? ;)

Only if Marilyn had been an intern.

Safetyhit
08-17-12, 18:00
I stopped to see a friend of mine last month who is a detective at my local police station just to say hello, and as we finished talking he showed me pictures on the wall of the chief and numerous officers proudly standing with George Bush when he visited our town, Marlton, while campaigning in 2004 (his only stop in NJ). His choppers landed in an athletic field less than a mile away, remember them shaking our home taking off as I put my son down for a nap after we walked over.

No, they don't work directly for the president, but the larger point is that even here in NJ a real president is sorely missed. The OP's story doesn't surprise me in the least.

Moose-Knuckle
08-17-12, 18:15
http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-radford-business-owner-declines-joe-bidens-request-to-stop-in-store-20120815,0,4370357.story

Props to the business owner! Almost as good as this. . .

:D
Caterer at Obama Iowa Event Wears Pro-Romney Shirt

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/08/caterer-at-obama-iowa-event-wears-pro-romney-shirt/

Moose-Knuckle
08-17-12, 18:24
There is a Uniformed Division to the SS that primarily guards the WH grounds, but also provides bomb detection, counter snipers, etc. when POTUS travels. This could be the SS agents that the author mentions.

Other federal agencies are involved in POTUS travels - especially when it involves large events like the DNC Convention and inaugurations. For example, the FBI HRT has been (and will likely continue to be) available for such events.

Yeap.

Most tax payers don't realize that POTUS has a private blood bank that follows every where he goes. A private reserve of fuel for all the vehicles he "may" ride/fly in and there are always at least two minimum VC-25s, VH-3Ds or VH-60Ns, GMC Topkicks. et al., the amount of men and machines that go into this type of PSD is mind boggling.

SMETNA
08-17-12, 21:05
I heard when he's abroad, they make him exterminate in a special collection unit so that foreign intelligence doesn't get hold of the excrement and analyze his DNA or health issues or medications

lifebreath
08-27-12, 09:59
Only if Marilyn had been an intern.

Mimi Alford, maiden named Marion Beardsley.

CarlosDJackal
08-27-12, 10:33
I'll respect your opinion, and I'm about done with this, so I"ll just say that there is no such thing as an "off the record" conversation...

So you're in favor of these guys being robots and not having any opinions whatsoever? So you'd be fine if these same robots kicked down your door, put a gun in your face, and confiscated all your legally-owned firearms just because they were told by their bosses to do so? You can't have it both ways - you can't stifle someone's Right to Free Speech just because they wear a uniform at work. This is just like the JCS trying to stifle the OPSEC Team's video about the current POTUS and his administration's propensity to leak classified information.

It's like this. When you are on duty or in uniform, you are off-duty and not in any kind of recognizable uniform (a business suit is not a uniform); you are allowed to share your opinion with people. As long as you do not do so under the guise of speaking on behalf of your whole agency.

This USSS Agent made a mistake because the individual he shared his opinion with screwed him by passing on his opinion to the media and made it sound like it was an official stance. I have heard all sorts of stories from members of the USSS over the years and I am careful not to make it sound like the opinions expressed by individual agents was an official stance.

Typical MMQB of LEOs. It's the usual damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

a0cake
08-27-12, 12:57
So you're in favor of these guys being robots and not having any opinions whatsoever? So you'd be fine if these same robots kicked down your door, put a gun in your face, and confiscated all your legally-owned firearms just because they were told by their bosses to do so? You can't have it both ways - you can't stifle someone's Right to Free Speech just because they wear a uniform at work.

The ****? Professionalism to door-kicking to free-speach? Weird stuff, man. There's a clear difference between a USSS agent, who is tasked with presidential protection, getting involved in partisan political bickering, and a federal agent refusing to take part in treason. The inability to deal in nuance and see everything in extreme absolutes leads to wacky comparisons like the one you just made.

It's like this. When you are on duty or in uniform, you are off-duty and not in any kind of recognizable uniform (a business suit is not a uniform); you are allowed to share your opinion with people. As long as you do not do so under the guise of speaking on behalf of your whole agency.

This USSS Agent made a mistake because the individual he shared his opinion with screwed him by passing on his opinion to the media and made it sound like it was an official stance. I have heard all sorts of stories from members of the USSS over the years and I am careful not to make it sound like the opinions expressed by individual agents was an official stance.

Typical MMQB of LEOs. It's the usual damned if you do and damned if you don't situation.

Please explain to me how the USSS is damned if it DOESN'T foster an environment wherein its agents make the news by getting involved in partisan bickering.

I can't believe so many people think that, as a general trend / standard, Secret Service personnel should be making headlines because of partisan politics.

It's a clear conflict of interest, and you're only defending it because you don't like the current administration....talk about having it both ways.

I wore a uniform for almost 7 years - and I understood that there were certain restrictions on speech and expression that came with it. If that uniform had included Secret Service apparel, I sure as **** would have had the good sense to not trash talk, in public, the people I was protecting - UNLESS the situation was something like you described up top, door-kicking treason. This is basic, common sense.

Sensei
08-29-12, 20:21
It looks like the USSS left Romney a gift on his plane.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57503016-503544/secret-service-gun-inadvertently-left-in-romney-plane-lavatory/

That is a big oops...

montanadave
08-29-12, 20:40
It looks like the USSS left Romney a gift on his plane.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57503016-503544/secret-service-gun-inadvertently-left-in-romney-plane-lavatory/

That is a big oops...

Years ago, my dad had a college friend who ended up working for the FBI. The standing joke was that if an agent really screwed the pooch, they would get assigned to the Butte, MT, field office.

I have no idea what the equivalent assignment is for the USSS, but I'm guessing the owner of that weapon is about to find out.

Not a great year for the USSS.

Sensei
08-29-12, 21:32
No kidding. At least he did not drop it in the toilet.

VooDoo6Actual
08-29-12, 21:41
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/pict165.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/pict208.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/pict201.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/pict194.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/CATTeam1.jpg

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e225/teehee321/MP51copy.jpg

Sensei
08-29-12, 22:04
The agent in the first 2 pictures looks a lot like Big Pussy from the Sopranos.