PDA

View Full Version : Magpul VS. Others

w.kyser
08-17-12, 01:55
I've started to notice a trend were manufactures are starting to use the Magpul MOE forearm. I was wondering if anyone here has used it compared to some of the others on the market, and how they compare. I would like for this not to break down into a brand X is great brand Y is crap thread, but actual info from those who have run them.

lunchbox
08-17-12, 03:12
Gotta admit not very good with all the 100's of furniture options with ARs. Not sure how many companies (US only, no one counts cheap me-brake-so-easy guards/parts) is there to really compete with Magpul? I've seen Troy dable in the poly clips/stocks, and at moment cant think of any more(late)..

MistWolf
08-17-12, 05:39
I like how the MOE fits my hand much better than the round handguards do and while the shape of the original triangular handguards works for me, I don't like the feel of the vent holes

Beat Trash
08-17-12, 08:33
I been using the MOE fore ends for a while. They fit my hand well and provide me with the ability to mount a light and a VFG.

For the price, it's extremely hard to beat the versatility offered by the MOE fore end.

If there are polymer fore ends in the same price range and quality of construction, I'm unaware of them.

kmrtnsn
08-17-12, 09:27
I've started to notice a trend were manufactures are starting to use the Magpul MOE forearm. I was wondering if anyone here has used it compared to some of the others on the market, and how they compare. I would like for this not to break down into a brand X is great brand Y is crap thread, but actual info from those who have run them.

What others? In the realm for polymer, other than regular issue style handguards there are no "others" to compare the MOE line to. When it comes to polymer, there is "original equipment", then there is Magpul MOE. There isn't anything else.

w.kyser
08-17-12, 10:16
Sorry I was sorta vague. I was thinking more of a comparison to the types of handguards made by Troy and Daniel Defense and others not other polymer ones. I figure the Magpul front would be lighter due to "plastic" construction.

justin_247
08-17-12, 10:26
Sorry I was sorta vague. I was thinking more of a comparison to the types of handguards made by Troy and Daniel Defense and others not other polymer ones. I figure the Magpul front would be lighter due to "plastic" construction.

Not necessarily. In many cases, aluminum rails are actually lighter. But there are tradeoffs, especially when it comes to heat.

NeoNeanderthal
08-17-12, 10:28
The beauty of the MOE is that it allows users to buy a rifle with it already on there and then move around lights/grips whatever. Once they've shot for a few thousand rounds and have figured out what works for them and what doesn't they can get a real rail (or not).

Many people really don't need a rail and the MOE gives them a chance to learn that the easy way (40 bucks). After having a MOE for a year i realized i didnt need a RAIL per say but i did want to be able to reach further out on the gun. I ended up getting a 13" free float tube. If i had just immediately purchased what I THOUGHT I needed.....I would've gotten an mid length quad rail which is the exact opposite of what i need.

Mr Elbowseed
08-17-12, 10:28

plastic being lighter isn't always true there is a chart with handguard weights that someone more tech savvy then me could post a link too. try searching it for now

@Justin247 I must type slower then you

Doc Safari
08-17-12, 10:32
Before I say anything, understand this is my personal opinion based on a huge statistical sample of one .

I mounted the Magpul MOE handguards on my daily use carbine almost a year ago. I've since switched back to the skinny CAR handguards for the following reasons:

1. I'd swear the handguards became more rattly and wobbly than a more traditional handguard, and sooner. Part of this is the fact that I had my front sling swivel mounted to the left side of the handguard. I do a lot of walking with my carbine at the ranch, so the handguards are subjected to quite a bit of repeated stress/torque from carrying the gun in the field.

2. I've noticed that the upper half of the handguards are not aluminum lined like the lower half. So anything you mount to the upper half depends on the strength of the plastic for durability. This is not something I'm really comfortable with.

3. I like the looks of the guards, but they are bulky and don't fit my hand very well. They are also just slightly but noticably heavier than the skinny CAR handguards.

4. Even though it's never been a problem I can't live with, I'd swear they heat up faster than more traditional M4 guards. I'd have to do a side-by-side test one of these days, but I've noticed them getting uncomfortably warm after a long string of shots in the hot desert sun. YMMV. I never noticed that with traditional M4 guards.

samuse
08-17-12, 10:40
I've used 'em briefly a couple of times.

IMO, they're just a cheap/easy alternative to a real rail/tube.

Nothing wrong with 'em, but I think people try to do more with 'em than they're worth.

VIP3R 237
08-17-12, 10:41
If you are looking for a direct competitor to the magpul moe this is the only product i can think of.

http://strikeindustries.com/shop/index.php/rifle-enhancements/ar15-platform/mitch-handguard.html

skullworks
08-17-12, 11:26
I like how the MOE fits my hand much better than the round handguards do...
Same for me; very happy with the set I have on my 20". That Strike handguard looks like a POS.

.45's and .38's
08-18-12, 21:56
Very happy with the MOE carbine handguard, feels a lot smoother on the hand over the glacier handguards I had. I do not care much for the plastic rails magpul provides though, kinda a pain in the butt to install & I have bumped the rails on things & it shaves some off the piccatiny rail

Hmac
08-18-12, 22:14

Here are my two SBR's, one with a DD Lite 9.0 and the other with MOE forearm. The weight of the CTR isn't substantially different than the iMod.

Setting the absolute weights aside, the feel is very different in that the foliage green one has lost the majority of its weight from the front of the rifle.

http://ssequine.net/sbrweights.jpg

VIP3R 237
08-18-12, 23:55
Same for me; very happy with the set I have on my 20". That Strike handguard looks like a POS.

That was my impression also, but it was the one and only handguard which is relatively the same design function and price.

aguila327
08-19-12, 00:34
I switched to MOE middies a few months ago, and they are excellent (IMO). I have large mitts and they feel very comfortable, and versatile in regards to what I want to hang on them (just a light).

I just converted my 2nd middie to a Troy Alpha Rail, and I'm now in a quandry as to which I like better.

For the money, you cant go wrong with MOE

Magic_Salad0892
08-19-12, 01:39
Gotta admit not very good with all the 100's of furniture options with ARs. Not sure how many companies (US only, no one counts cheap me-brake-so-easy guards/parts) is there to really compete with Magpul? I've seen Troy dable in the poly clips/stocks, and at moment cant think of any more(late)..

They make polymer clips?

Link?

samuse
08-19-12, 07:38
Setting the absolute weights aside, the feel is very different in that the foliage green one has lost the majority of its weight from the front of the rifle.

If you ditched the light, AFG and rail panels, then swapped the Eotech for a Micro, they would probably feel the same again.

lunchbox
08-19-12, 22:16
They make polymer clips?

Link?Sorry I ment mags http://www.google.com/search?q=troy+magazines&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS458&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=5KsxUIWuIoac8QSQt4DICA&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=593

Magic_Salad0892
08-19-12, 22:31
Sorry I ment mags http://www.google.com/search?q=troy+magazines&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS458&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=5KsxUIWuIoac8QSQt4DICA&sqi=2&ved=0CDEQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=593

I know, bro. I was just bustin' balls. :p

Koshinn
08-19-12, 22:54
Here are my two SBR's, one with a DD Lite 9.0 and the other with MOE forearm. The weight of the CTR isn't substantially different than the iMod.

The eotech, light + mount, and afg will most likely make up the difference between the two.

3 AE
08-19-12, 23:10
Why not just buy a Magpul MOE handguard, put it on your carbine, take it to the range and shoot a shitload of rounds through it and then tell us if it met your needs. If it works out for you, tell us why. If it doesn't work out for you, tell us why. We're talking about $30.00 here. Be your own best evaluator.

lunchbox
08-19-12, 23:14
I know, bro. I was just bustin' balls. :pLOL, thats twice this month I've been called out about "clips". Gotta break that habit.

vicious_cb
08-19-12, 23:17

I don't really understand the point of this thread, I mean are you really comparing a ~$30 handguard to a $200-300 rail system? If you are new to the AR platform, which it sounds like you are, then you should get the cheaper MOE and spend the money saved on ammo and training so you can determine if you need a rail system or not.

Littlehendrick
08-20-12, 11:24
To the OP:

The MOE stuff isn't fully "customizable" as a full rail, but is a heck of a lot cheaper. As a broke college kid who can barely afford $7/20 rounds, the extra 150 dollars saved by going with an MOE is worth it to me. Weight? no idea on the difference. But being able to develop skills by taking classes is what is important, and I could do that by saving money with the MOE hand guard.

RichFitz
08-20-12, 13:46
Before I say anything, understand this is my personal opinion based on a huge statistical sample of one .

Even though it's never been a problem I can't live with, I'd swear they heat up faster than more traditional M4 guards. I'd have to do a side-by-side test one of these days, but I've noticed them getting uncomfortably warm after a long string of shots in the hot desert sun. YMMV. I never noticed that with traditional M4 guards.

This blog has one of the best explanations behind the MOE hand guard design as it relates to heat retention and dissipation.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/03/31/heat-dissipation-update-magpul-moe/

Doc Safari
08-20-12, 14:09
This blog has one of the best explanations behind the MOE hand guard design as it relates to heat retention and dissipation.

http://vuurwapenblog.com/2010/03/31/heat-dissipation-update-magpul-moe/

Interesting read. To quote the article (boldface mine):

The MOE has one heat shield in the lower handguard half, and no heat shield in the upper half. This might sound bad from a "protect the user" standpoint, but it has many more vent holes than the other handguard styles, and these holes are located to draw in cool air on the bottom and expel hot air up top.

"From the user standpoint" it seems like the aluminum heat shield portion of the handguard gets a little uncomfortably warm after a long string of shots (but not enough to burn anybody's hand). I think the metal heat shield is allowing at least some of the barrel heat to "conduct" to the non-firing hand.

I won't argue the ability of the handguards to dissipate heat better than the traditional type. I just noticed during a couple of long strings of shots I found myself questioning if I could remember the standard M4 handguards getting hot that quickly, and I don't think they do.

Maybe one of these days when I get time I'll fire a full mag with each type and allowing cooling in between to see what happens.

Again, this is my sample of one but I think I would have noticed other handguards heating up as quickly if that had happened.

This heat issue is not enough to get me to never use the MOE handguards again, it's just annoying.

EDITED TO ADD: I wonder if the fact that I ran the MOE handguards on a lightweight-barrel carbine would have anything to do with it the heat? Don't lightweight barrels heat up faster than standard M4 barrels (and also cool quicker)? It seems like this might be a possible explanation. The lightweight barrel heats up more rapidly than an M4 barrel after a long string of shots. The MOE handguard initially heats up faster as well in the area of the metal shielding (then logically also cools quicker due to its design).

Here's more anecdotal evidence of the perception that MOE's heat up faster than traditional handguards:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/549754_.html

It's just interesting. :)