PDA

View Full Version : Bolt catch?

LRB45
08-17-12, 14:47
My son and I were out shooting his BCM middy yesterday when we had a minor problem. My son was shooting and when he went to change out his magazine for a full one he inserted the mag and the magazine just fell out. He put it back in and same thing happened again. I looked at it thinking the mag release button was stuck which it wasn't. Reinserted the mag again and this time it stayed.

Now my son hits the bolt catch button to release the BCG and nothing. We took the gun into the house to take it apart and at first the bolt catch was not working properly and then all of a sudden it worked after a few times of moving it back and forth.

Now it seems to be working properly. Is there anything to be concerned about or anything that needs to be done to insure it doesn't happen again? Also not sure why the magazine would not fall out either? Any correlation between the two?

Thanks

markm
08-17-12, 14:53
Hard to say without looking at it. Could be debris in the bolt catch plunger spring area. If it were my gun, I'd drift that role pin out just enough to take the catch, plunger, and spring out for inspection.

The mag catch, on the other hand, should be pretty easy to diagnos. I'd take that out too and reassemble it. If it gets pushed TOO far in at the button, the catch on the opposite side of the lower can twist out of position and get stuck outside of the receiver.