PDA

View Full Version : Stag lower receiver Question

MFWIC2
08-18-12, 16:53
Been looking at different lowers. And wanted to know if anyone runs a Stag Lower.
How is the Quality?
I have a BCM & CMMG builds. Just was looking at something different.
Thanks for any opinions.

SpankMonkey
08-18-12, 17:02
Stag buys (or did) their lowers from CMT IIRC. Good lowers. They may have changed recently from the rumor mill I hear. No idea who the new supplier is.

drrufo
08-18-12, 17:04
I have three of them and I feel they are good to go. The finish is good, no flash or parting lines. I haven't had any problems getting any of the LPKs to fit and work. My last build used a Stag LPK, the others were no name from the time of panic.
I would say take a look at all the lowers you think you might want to buy before putting down your money.

John

Hmac
08-18-12, 17:19
Unless things have changed recently, Stag is CMT's house brand. Stag is a wholly owned subsidiary of CMT, started and currently run by the owner's son. CMT also makes a lot of the lowers and other parts for many other well-known brands.

DIRTMAN556
08-18-12, 19:28
As far as receivers go IMO you're good to go with any company that is mil-spec. If you're asking about a complete lower Stag kit, then tnat is a good to go. I slapped a BCM upper on a Stag complete lower and its a sweet deal. Slight wobble, but it doesn't bother me. The finish is good. I'll try to remember to show you a picture later.

MFWIC2
08-18-12, 19:41
Thanks guys for all your opinions.

Hmac
08-18-12, 21:26
CMT used to make (don't know if they still do) receivers for Noveske, for example. The issue, relative to the end product, isn't the quality of the receiver that CMT ships to them, it's the evaluation of that receiver and the number that Noveske throws away because they don't meet Noveske's specs, not CMT's.

Big A
08-18-12, 21:37
I have a complete Stag Model 1 and so far it has gone bang every time. The fit and finish is outstanding and there is no play between the upper and lower.

One of their stripped lowers should be good to go.

halo2304
08-18-12, 22:26
The lower is the part of lesser concern as it doesn't see the stress that the upper does. As long as the holes line up and parts fit properly, it doesn't really matter what brand it is.

Big A, how many rounds do you have through it?

Big A
08-18-12, 22:38
The lower is the part of lesser concern as it doesn't see the stress that the upper does. As long as the holes line up and parts fit properly, it doesn't really matter what brand it is.

Big A, how many rounds do you have through it?

So far just over 500. I shoot my pistols more than my rifle.

SOWT
08-18-12, 23:54
My wife and son have Stags and we haven't had any issues with them.

We don't run tons of ammo through them though, couple hundred rounds/month at most.

Atg336
08-19-12, 11:24
Got a stag lower w/stag LPK.
No issues whatever with mag well fit or any fitting issues with different uppers.
Good finish, no sharp edges, clean of any burrs or forgings.

The LPK is decent and suitable for novice or someone who hits the range infrequently, though I will be swapping the whole LPK OR JUST the trigger group with one from Grant (G&R Tac) or an LMT if there are good prices out there.

Have 2500-3000 rounds through it, from Tul to Federal.

dangertree
08-19-12, 20:11
CMT used to make (don't know if they still do) receivers for Noveske, for example. The issue, relative to the end product, isn't the quality of the receiver that CMT ships to them, it's the evaluation of that receiver and the number that Noveske throws away because they don't meet Noveske's specs, not CMT's.

Really? Come on. Who told you that? CMT = Stag Arms. I have never heard of problems with Stag Arms parts.

Did I just read someone suggesting here that Stag Arms 'might' buy parts from CMT? They are literally the in-house 'assembled' brand of CMT. The VP of CMT is the CEO of Stag Arms. Stag Arms parts ARE CMT parts.

CMT are a DOD Certified Subcontractor for the M16 and M4 programs. Have been building M16 parts since 1973. In New Britain, CT. Stag Arms as a brand has existed since 2003, to assemble CMT parts.

dangertree
08-19-12, 20:15
Got a stag lower w/stag LPK.
No issues whatever with mag well fit or any fitting issues with different uppers.
Good finish, no sharp edges, clean of any burrs or forgings.

The LPK is decent and suitable for novice or someone who hits the range infrequently, though I will be swapping the whole LPK OR JUST the trigger group with one from Grant (G&R Tac) or an LMT if there are good prices out there.

Have 2500-3000 rounds through it, from Tul to Federal.

My Colt and Stag arms triggers are identical. Why would you swap out a trigger if it works?

Why would you replace a Stag Arms/CMT trigger for another stock trigger?

yossarian42
08-19-12, 20:50
I have a complete stag model 2. About 1000-1200 rounds through it, no probs. had a failure to feed in a old pre ban mag one time(I'm in ny).

Sent from my iPhone using Fapatalk

Hmac
08-19-12, 21:00
Really? Come on. Who told you that? CMT = Stag Arms. I have never heard of problems with Stag Arms parts.

Did I just read someone suggesting here that Stag Arms 'might' buy parts from CMT? They are literally the in-house 'assembled' brand of CMT. The VP of CMT is the CEO of Stag Arms. Stag Arms parts ARE CMT parts.

CMT are a DOD Certified Subcontractor for the M16 and M4 programs. Have been building M16 parts since 1973. In New Britain, CT. Stag Arms as a brand has existed since 2003, to assemble CMT parts.

From Defense Review a few years back. David Crane interviewing John Noveske.

http://www.defensereview.com/noveske-rifleworks-n4-light-recce-carbine-john-noveske-interview-part-one/

Here: I'll quote the relevant parts for you....

Crane: Aw’right, now, in terms of receivers, upper and lower receivers, are you doin’ your own lowers, or are you usin’ other people’s lower and upper, or what?

Noveske: Most of the MILSPEC parts, I contract out. And, I use a lot of different shops based on who makes the best of that component. Like, one place makes my bolts and another place makes my carriers, and it’s because…it has nothing to do with money. It’s which ones I like better. And, right now, I feel that as far as the MILSPEC parts go, I couldn’t do better. They’re just excellent. I get ‘em in volume. I’ve got my purchase orders in to January ’09. Everything is just hunky-dory.

Crane: Who’s doin’ your lowers?

Noveske: The lowers on our rifles are made by CMT [Continental Machine and Tool]. We had some made by LAR [LAR Manufacturing, Inc.] with a B prefix on the serial number, but that was a limited production run. We have a PO into another company, but it will depend on approval of the samples.

Crane: What about your upper receiver?

Noveske: I have uppers made for me by CMT for MILSPEC and then, of course, the VIS and MUR are made by Vltor.

The QA process is pretty well documented. Where do you think blems come from?

dangertree
08-19-12, 21:06
From Defense Review a few years back. David Crane interviewing John Noveske.

http://www.defensereview.com/noveske-rifleworks-n4-light-recce-carbine-john-noveske-interview-part-one/

Here: I'll quote the relevant parts for you....

The QA process is pretty well documented. Where do you think blems come from?

Copy you 100% on blems. But don't those usually relate to finish/anodizing rather than spec of the product?

I'd suspect Noveske doesn't sell out of spec lowers as blems any more than CMT makes them.

denn1911
08-19-12, 21:19
As of 4 days ago, I have a 14.5" BCM Upper sitting on top of a Stag Arms lower. The Stag started as a stripped receiver and has a Stag LPK installed. The rifle only has 750 rounds through it over the last couple of days, but it will see a ton of range time coming up. I'm sure that this lower will hold up just fine.

Hmac
08-20-12, 06:00
Copy you 100% on blems. But don't those usually relate to finish/anodizing rather than spec of the product?

I'd suspect Noveske doesn't sell out of spec lowers as blems any more than CMT makes them.

I suspect CMT has a tolerance range for what they consider acceptable for a product to ship and I suspect Noveske has a tolerance range for what they will put in their riles (specs AND finish). That kind of quality control is fundamental to a company's reputation, and obviously some manufacturers have different QC requirements than others before they'll let a piece out the door. If the QC expectations of a mfgr dont match the QC expectations of the customer on a given piece, it gets sold as a blem if its cosmetic, or tossed if it doesnt meet Noveske's spec requirements. If it happens enough times, the next contract likely goes to someone else (manufacturing 101).

Based on their serial number prefixes, I don't think Noveske uses CMT anymore. Just sayin'...

bluecanary
08-20-12, 09:42
I have a stag lower, it is fine. I have inspected multiple stag uppers in gun stores. stag is cheap for a reason. ugly feed ramps and really bad gas key stake jobs.

Hmac
08-20-12, 10:00
I have a stag lower, it is fine. I have inspected multiple stag uppers in gun stores. stag is cheap for a reason. ugly feed ramps and really bad gas key stake jobs.

That's the urban legend. I don't think it's been true for years.

JBecker 72
08-20-12, 10:50
I have 2 builds on stripped Stag lowers. One of them is a blemish lower and it looks like the only issue was crooked serial numbers and the other is very nice. I actually kinda like the deer head logo too compared to many other roll marks out there.

My first AR was a basic Stag 1/9 twist upper on a S&W lower and it worked just fine for me. I had Robb go over it and make sure it was properly built. It actually shot M193 better (tighter 100 yard groups) than any 1/7 twist upper I have had since. I sold it and replaced that upper with an LMT about 4 years ago though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2