PDA

View Full Version : Geisselle rocks

brasse
08-18-12, 17:21
Thank everyone who recommended the Geisselle SSA-E.

In 223/556 I shoot a Superior Barrels 17 inch upper using a Lilja Patrolman barrell. Was using the ALG Defense single stage trigger.

I have never shot at 200 yards in my life, spent all summer at 25 yards for my grandson. Sucks shooting an AR15 at 25 yards.

Yesterday shot at 100 yards, shot pretty well but not great. I was waiting on the new two stage trigger coming by surface UPS.

Got the new Geiselle SSA-E trigger in the afternoon. Installed it last night, just had a feeling it would help.

So today used the better 52 grain HP Match rounds from Black Hills. Fired 10 rounds at 100 yards, two dead nuts in the bulleye.

Moved the target to 200 yards, my scope (cheap Simmonds) was maxed out, but still better than the crappy Barska spotting scope. Fired about 50 rounds total. Finally got serious, got one group before making a 2 click adjustment.
Bottom group after, about 1.25 inches. Top group 1.20 inches.

So about 0.6 MOA.

Going to have to save up for a better scope to shoot at 500 yards.

Thanks again for all the good advice.

Now I am building a 20 inch ARP 6.8 upper, hope to get under 1 MOA with that one too.

308sako
08-18-12, 22:05
Yes the Giessele is a wonderful product, good on them for their efforts. However, what is important here is the knowledge you are passing along about the importance of a quality trigger to accurate or precise shooting.

Well done Sir.

Nightvisionary
08-18-12, 22:44
I just installed a Geissele SD-E last week. It's a great trigger but it didn't leave me with the "Wow" factor I was expecting.

It replaced a polished and well broken in standard trigger with a 4 LB JP yellow spring kit that gave a measured single stage pull weight of 5lbs.

The Gissele SD-E is better but not by leaps and bounds. My groups actually doubled in size after I installed the SD-E but I also installed a new bolt carrier group so I will attribute the accurancy loss to my own inconsistent shooting, the new BCG, and lack of time on the new trigger.

Mjolnir
08-19-12, 10:07
Has anyone tried the S3G with the springs that increase the pull to 5.5 lbs?

I'm wondering if it would make a good general purpose trigger...

Swstock
08-19-12, 10:22
I have a Giessele SSA and think its awesome.

Im an amateur and my first time @100 yards, I was 1 moa with s&b m193 ammo.

markm
08-19-12, 10:35
I have never shot at 200 yards in my life, spent all summer at 25 yards for my grandson. Sucks shooting an AR15 at 25 yards.

Good Lord! Some days Pappabear and I shoot and the CLOSEST target we have set up is 500 yards.

Jah_Shwalker
08-19-12, 11:11
I installed one of the 3-gun triggers and I love mine. Shooting controlled pairs and running drills like the VTAC 1-5 just bring a little smirk to my face everytime.

j-dubya
08-19-12, 11:12
Has anyone tried the S3G with the springs that increase the pull to 5.5 lbs?

I'm wondering if it would make a good general purpose trigger...

Interested in this as well.

Mjolnir
08-19-12, 12:15
I installed one of the 3-gun triggers and I love mine. Shooting controlled pairs and running drills like the VTAC 1-5 just bring a little smirk to my face everytime.

At 3.5 lbs it's an excellent "gamer" trigger. But can u hit at 200 to 300 yds or more with it? It seems light for SD/General Purpose but at 5.5 lbs it might be nice. I suspect the SSA is "the best of them all" for GP/SD just curious.

Jah_Shwalker
08-19-12, 13:00
At 3.5 lbs it's an excellent "gamer" trigger. But can u hit at 200 to 300 yds or more with it? It seems light for SD/General Purpose but at 5.5 lbs it might be nice. I suspect the SSA is "the best of them all" for GP/SD just curious.

It's not bad at all. It is a little light but it still breaks clean and has a short reset. I had only tried the 3-gun and the DMR and I went with the 3-gun based on what I had tried. I think the SSA is a little more general purpose and a little cheaper too, if that matters to you.

Caeser25
08-19-12, 19:35

I make hits with it at 300 with a ta33 on a steel popper about 8x10 (16 lmt m4). I was also hitting it with irons, stock trigger, and 50/200 zero (16 bcm std middy) once I found the holdover so ymmv.

Mine is the sd3g. They are all great triggers. I got to try them all at the NRA convention the year before last so the decision was a bit easier.

denn1911
08-19-12, 20:36
I've been running an S3G in my 3 Gun Rifle for about 6 months. Although some find it light, I love it. It has a nice break and a short, crisp reset. Up close targets are hit extremely fast. My last match had targets at 280 yards. This trigger proved to be a winner. I'm tempted to get another for my SD rifle also.

Mjolnir
08-19-12, 20:39
I've been running an S3G in my 3 Gun Rifle for about 6 months. Although some find it light, I love it. It has a nice break and a short, crisp reset. Up close targets are hit extremely fast. My last match had targets at 280 yards. This trigger proved to be a winner. I'm tempted to get another for my SD rifle also.

Do u feel the 3.5 lb pull is too light for social work? Geissele offers a spring - not sure which (I assume the hammer) that will add 2 lbs to it.

Thinking about that option...

JLBIII
08-19-12, 20:48
We are now shipping the S3G and SD3G with a gold colored trigger spring that will increase the trigger pull to 4lbs. We include the lighter trigger spring in the package for those who want a lighter pull.

JB
Geissele Automatics

denn1911
08-19-12, 20:54
That's where I'm at right now in my thought process. I'm going back and forth with the pros and cons. Although I don't feel it's too light, my concern is 100% reliability with a variety of ammo. My S3G has been 100% with 4k rounds so far, but it would be a concern in my SD rifle. Maybe it's just in my head.

Mjolnir
08-19-12, 20:59
We are now shipping the S3G and SD3G with a gold colored trigger spring that will increase the trigger pull to 4lbs. We include the lighter trigger spring in the package for those who want a lighter pull.

JB
Geissele Automatics

Thanks, JB, for clearing that up. Any way to increase it to 5 lbs?

P.S.

There are a couple of companies that are recognized as offering arguably the best of the best in the industry: Porsche, HK, BMW Motorsports, Ferrari, etc. companies whose logo I'd have no issues wearing on my skin. Well, you are in that category in my book. Thank you for your product!

Mjolnir
08-19-12, 21:03
That's where I'm at right now in my thought process. I'm going back and forth with the pros and cons. Although I don't feel it's too light, my concern is 100% reliability with a variety of ammo. My S3G has been 100% with 4k rounds so far, but it would be a concern in my SD rifle. Maybe it's just in my head.

It's got a full power hammer spring.

wetidlerjr
08-20-12, 04:08
Good Lord! Some days Pappabear and I shoot and the CLOSEST target we have set up is 500 yards.

Yes but you are not talking about the common people (like myself) that do not have your access to miles and miles of "miles and miles". :cray:

denn1911
08-20-12, 07:09
It's got a full power hammer spring.

You're right, and I overlooked that fact. With that, I would feel comfortable with this same trigger in my SD rifle. Mjolnir, let us know what you decide on.

JLBIII
08-20-12, 07:24
Thanks, JB, for clearing that up. Any way to increase it to 5 lbs?

P.S.

There are a couple of companies that are recognized as offering arguably the best of the best in the industry: Porsche, HK, BMW Motorsports, Ferrari, etc. companies whose logo I'd have no issues wearing on my skin. Well, you are in that category in my book. Thank you for your product!

Please call the shop for a heavier trigger spring. 610-272-2060

We use the same full strength heavy hammer spring manufactured to our specs on all of our hammers. So whether you have a match trigger tuned to 2lbs or a SSA at 4.5 lbs you have the same amount of energy being applied to the hammer. The end result is consistent ignition from heavy primer strikes in either the AR-15 or AR-10 platform regardless of caliber.

JB

opdsgt
08-20-12, 07:42
These days, an SSA is one of the very first things I install in a new M4, I like them that much. Uber-smooth take up, glass like 2nd stage break, no over travel and a short reset. Excellent kit for a duty carbine.

markm
08-20-12, 07:53
These days, an SSA is one of the very first things I install in a new M4, I like them that much. Uber-smooth take up, glass like 2nd stage break, no over travel and a short reset. Excellent kit for a duty carbine.

Yeah. Those triggers are outstanding.

Mjolnir
08-22-12, 04:53
Please call the shop for a heavier trigger spring. 610-272-2060

We use the same full strength heavy hammer spring manufactured to our specs on all of our hammers. So whether you have a match trigger tuned to 2lbs or a SSA at 4.5 lbs you have the same amount of energy being applied to the hammer. The end result is consistent ignition from heavy primer strikes in either the AR-15 or AR-10 platform regardless of caliber.

JB

Thank you kindly!

It's EXACTLY what I was looking for.

CoryCop25
08-22-12, 05:45
I have played with the new three gun trigger called the Super V, I believe. It feels quite nice. I have a couple of the heavier hammer springs. I was thinking about putting it in my 10.3.

Mjolnir, sounds like Geissele is hooking you up, I was going to offer up one of my springs. Good to know companies keep an eye on their product ans customers on these forums. Good job Geissele!

Mjolnir
08-22-12, 06:05
I have played with the new three gun trigger called the Super V, I believe. It feels quite nice. I have a couple of the heavier hammer springs. I was thinking about putting it in my 10.3.

Mjolnir, sounds like Geissele is hooking you up, I was going to offer up one of my springs. Good to know companies keep an eye on their product ans customers on these forums. Good job Geissele!

Thank you, Cory.

I see the 5.5 lb S3G as a superb all-around trigger. Some may disagree and that's okay. I wished for a little more leeway and the additional resistance makes for a setup that's definitely doable for me.

Some may ask: is it better than the SSA in the GP/SD role? I honestly do not know. It's more of another phenomenal option, really. With the heavier trigger and hammer springs I honestly do not feel ANY inconsistencies in the force req'd to get the trigger moving to the point of the break. It's not too heavy to shoot for groups but we all know there are better options from GA for that. People may turn in faster split times with the as-pkg'd springs, too. But I was looking for a real alternative to the SSA - for no particular reason as I adore that setup - and I think at this point I have. It's biased a bit towards quick follow-up shots which is fine by me but it does not compromise accuracy (feel-wise) and offers me, at least, more confidence with the heavier trigger pull.

I'll get the opportunity to exercise it this weekend.

Thanks again, Bill!

davidjinks
08-22-12, 09:05
I've had nothing but excellence with the SD-C triggers. All but 1 of my rifles have them. All future rifles will have them.

I also like the fact that they are a PA company that I can support.

fallenromeo
08-22-12, 10:22

I agree. I put one in my AR after a year with the standard GI trigger and I love it. I don't think I can go back to a regular single stage trigger. Every new rifle I build/buy will have a SSA or similar Geissele trigger going in it immediately.

markm
08-22-12, 10:27
I agree. I put one in my AR after a year with the standard GI trigger and I love it. I don't think I can go back to a regular single stage trigger. Every new rifle I build/buy will have a SSA or similar Geissele trigger going in it immediately.

I have to shoot all of Pappabears guns with SSAs... then go back to my standard triggers.

I've become used to switching back to USGI triggers from the city slicker triggers. :cool:

Mjolnir
08-24-12, 18:43
So fat I'm loving it.

It takes a bit more focus/effort to shoot for groups compared to the SSA but the S3G is definitely a keeper when set up with the gold hammer spring and gold (with blue powder coating) trigger spring.

I want another.

Bill, I'll probably be calling you early next week, my friend!

Wulfmann
08-25-12, 09:34
I have Gs in both my PWS MK114s and can not imagine life without them.
I also put a match adjustable G in my 26" White Oaks custom 15 pound behemoth replacing the Jard it came with.
Much better with the G, IMO

Because of the upcoming election possibilities I have picked up a few extra ARs (Sig 516, 716(308), SWMP15-TS and Stag-15) just because.
Nuff said

Now, not knowing what will happen I picked up a couple more Gs so what ever two are left after the panic ends will get those two Gs.

It is simple to me.
Make things as compatible, consistent and familiar as possible so all my carbines will feel very similar in triggers with Magpul grips (2) and stocks and EOTechs.
I even changed out the hardware to all Magpul on my S&W MP15-22 so as a trainer it will feel like the real ones

I don't believe there is any one product that stands so head and shoulders above the competition in the various categories as does Geissele does in AR triggers

Wulfmann

08-25-12, 13:05
I have a SSF in my registered lower and love i!!! You will won't be disappointed with anything they make.

Whitebrad25
08-27-12, 14:33
Hell yes they do! My SSA is the best mod I have on my Daniel Defense.

brasse
09-02-12, 11:05
Damm Geissele! Gun shooting so good now I have to sacrifice numerous boxes of ammo to get another Geissele SSA for my other lower.

On 8/24 I shot cold bore at 200 yards after shooting for the first time in my life at 200 the week before.

FIRST shot was dead center bullseye, almost stopped shooting right there as I may never do that again in my lifetime. But I did shoot two more shots on that target.

Then shot single shots at the four small 1/2 inch dots on a DirtyBird target. Two were under an inch and the other two were under 2 inches.

There are a lot of hunting rifles that can't do 0.5 MOA at 200 yards.

Local range only goes to 200 yards now (1200 in 2 years) so I am looking at other ranges further away. Upper maker swears this barrel will nail a target at 500 yards using 69 grn Sierra Gold HPBT. I just happen to have a couple of boxes of Black Hills in both 69 and 77 grn:D

Iraqgunz
09-02-12, 11:39
Shoot some 5 and 10 round groups and then report back to us.

brasse
09-02-12, 12:48
Like I said my groups were 1.2 inches on the 18th.

So I know I (the gun) can shoot a nice group, what I wanted to see is just how accurate the gun was with single shots. Lot harder to shoot cold bore than a group where you can aim and kick out 5 rounds. Either way the Giessle trigger is wonderful!

I have seen a lot of the groups posted, nice groups 3-4 inches off the bullseye, but tight 1 inch groups at 100 and 2 inch groups at 200.

What I wanted to see was shooting at a bullseye with a wind to compensate for. Las Vegas is almost NEVER without a wind. These were shot with a 7 mph gusting to 12 mph winds from the right to left. I tried to wait between gusts so there was a constant wind.

Plus the 200 range is open the first 100 yards and then partially shielded for the next 100.

They say lots of shooters can lay a string horizontally almost level, but the good shooters know how to compensate for the wind. I am just learning to shoot at distances. I shot pistols and shotguns decently but never rifles and never past 100 yards. (Bad eyes)

So every trip to the range with my ARs I am learning, practice practice practice. I was really inspired by those shooters on Top Gun who all shot at 1500 yards and ALL hit the target in strong winds within 10 rounds. Most had never shot beyond 600 yards. But they had the fundamentals down.

I figure I have shot about 600 rounds of 6.8 and about 500 rounds of 223 so I truly am a newby. There are guys here who shoot that much in a day or two. When I coach swimming the general rule is a person has to do a skill 20 times to grasp the general idea and thousands of time to master it. I shoot every week one or two times so it will take some time to get good.

But as I say, two hours at the range away from the wife, priceless!