PDA

View Full Version : Optics for 200-300 yards range?

Tex21
08-18-12, 17:25
Looking at getting a new scope for my ar15 to shoot 100-200 yards mainly and if I have to stretch it the 300 yard range. Leupold Mark Ar15 is the only one Ive found that I liked and leupold makes quality products but just seeing if any others were out there that I may need to look into?

opdsgt
08-18-12, 17:53
I'm going to politely say you don't need magnification to shoot a steel gong out to 300 yards, and to do so fairly easily. A 1x red dot will serve you just fine.

You certainly need no magnification to shoot accurately at 100-200 yards.

j-dubya
08-18-12, 18:03
The Vortex PST 1-4 is a great scope for the money. I certainly believe you get a lot more than you pay for with that scope. Check it out.

Tex21
08-18-12, 18:04
Ok well thats good to know. I had looked into the Vortex Strikeforce and then adding the magnification later that swings out of the way when not needing it.

Gunzilla
08-18-12, 18:27
If you must have magnification and want to get it cheap get a Votex Sparc with the 2x magnifying ring and forgetabout buying a 3x magnifier that will add a lot more cumbersome weight to your AR.

You might need to get a 1-4 if you plan to shoot past 300 yards regularly, if so check out the Burris XTR with the BDC reticle.....you may like that reticle because it may save you from doping your scope for your distance variations.

Tex21
08-18-12, 18:32
Thats why Im asking yall to see if magnification is actually worth it. If I need to shoot past 200 yards really would probably just bring out my .243 or 30-06.

Magic_Salad0892
08-18-12, 20:31
If I knew for a fact that I wouldn't be engaging a mark inside of 100m, I'd roll a 3X ACOG. Red cheveron.

opdsgt
08-18-12, 20:50
If I knew for a fact that I wouldn't be engaging a mark inside of 100m, I'd roll a 3X ACOG. Red cheveron.Eh, I run a TA01 ACOG (4x) on one of my rifles and have no difficulty whatsoever "hunting" through the optic as close as 20 meters or thereabouts; significantly inside that range, it's point shooting time. I should probably get that set of Surefire offset BUS that's been teasing me, but in any case, a 3x ACOG surely is a useful optic inside 100m.

Gunzilla
08-18-12, 21:45
Thats why Im asking yall to see if magnification is actually worth it. If I need to shoot past 200 yards really would probably just bring out my .243 or 30-06.

Then a simple red dot optical sight is all you will ever need inside of 200 yards. I've shot out to 300 yards with a 2 MOA dot with no problems at all, could probably go out to 400 yards if I had to.

Failure2Stop
08-18-12, 21:52
You very well may need magnification to actually find threats from 100 to 300 meters.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

CPtheWightKnight
08-18-12, 22:04
I second Gunzilla's recomendation. The Burris XTR is a great option.

Alaskapopo
08-18-12, 22:52
I'm going to politely say you don't need magnification to shoot a steel gong out to 300 yards, and to do so fairly easily. A 1x red dot will serve you just fine.

You certainly need no magnification to shoot accurately at 100-200 yards.

That highly depends on what your target is. I saw a lot of shooters at the last three gun match I shot stuggling to hit 14 inch tall by 4 inch wide MGM auto poppers at 100 yards with red dot and iron sights. Those of us with scopes had a much easier time. If your shooting larget targets sure you can shoot with a red dot out to 300 yards and with irons out further than that. However if your shooting smaller targets then magnification is definately a plus.
Pat

shootist~
08-19-12, 00:23
For 300 meters and in, give me good glass and a Plain Jane cross hair over poor glass and a fancy reticle or turrets. 300 meter targets are easy if a) you can see them and b) you know your holdovers. Which is a piece of cake with a 200M zero.

Having said that, good glass along with a usable reticle (Mil, MOA or even BDC hash marks) is well worth the extra money, especially when you break 400 yds. Our longer range 3-Gun targets - 10" flashers - are often not even visible without some magnification.

Magic_Salad0892
08-19-12, 01:24
You very well may need magnification to actually find threats from 100 to 300 meters.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

I would think that finding them, and getting the repeatable hits on them with a 1X isn't the problem. It's identifying them that would be the problem.

Am I right?

I have no problem engaging a steel target at 500m with iron sights even on an SBR (I eventually wanna try it with a mover), but I know for a fact, that if my target were not shooting back at me, I'd have no clue if it was a legit threat.

I'm asking you because I'm pretty sure that you've actually done that.

Magic_Salad0892
08-19-12, 01:27
Eh, I run a TA01 ACOG (4x) on one of my rifles and have no difficulty whatsoever "hunting" through the optic as close as 20 meters or thereabouts; significantly inside that range, it's point shooting time. I should probably get that set of Surefire offset BUS that's been teasing me, but in any case, a 3x ACOG surely is a useful optic inside 100m.

I didn't say it was useless. I know for sure it isn't. With a TA31-ECOS G I had, I did well in CQB drills. And I took off the Doctor optic. Specifically Hackathorn's 1-2-3-4-5 drill at 5, 10, 15, and 25 meters. But inside of 100m. I'm rollin' an Aimpoint. I'm way faster, and have better peripheral vision.

I've owned ACOGs in the past. Now I'm runnin' a T-1 with 3X magnifier.

And btw; take a look at KAC's micro 45* offsets. They fold, and KAC micros are great. I love 'em.

opdsgt
08-19-12, 07:45
That highly depends on what your target is. I saw a lot of shooters at the last three gun match I shot stuggling to hit 14 inch tall by 4 inch wide MGM auto poppers at 100 yards with red dot and iron sights. Those of us with scopes had a much easier time. If your shooting larget targets sure you can shoot with a red dot out to 300 yards and with irons out further than that. However if your shooting smaller targets then magnification is definately a plus.
PatPoint taken, Pat.

Perhaps I should have expressed that I'm speaking from the perspective of a 23-year LEO who uses his patrol rifle for everything from high risk traffic stops to responding to active shooters inside malls and schools (we've experienced one of each here).

It's important to note that a suspect usually doesn't fully present himself at the moment of engagement, so some level of precision over, say, the ability to hit a 19" wide piece of steel at 100 yards is needed (19" is the shoulder width of the average male).

In any case, good discussion.

opdsgt
08-19-12, 08:01
I didn't say it was useless. I know for sure it isn't. With a TA31-ECOS G I had, I did well in CQB drills. And I took off the Doctor optic. Specifically Hackathorn's 1-2-3-4-5 drill at 5, 10, 15, and 25 meters. But inside of 100m. I'm rollin' an Aimpoint. I'm way faster, and have better peripheral vision.

I've owned ACOGs in the past. Now I'm runnin' a T-1 with 3X magnifier.

And btw; take a look at KAC's micro 45* offsets. They fold, and KAC micros are great. I love 'em.I see. Well, we're probably more in agreement than I first believed.

I too run a Micro, a 2MOA H-1 on my Colt, a work gun. No magnifier, however, as I keep my configuration as lightweight as practically possible.

I'll have to take another look at the KAC's for my DD. I don't know why $250 BUS irk me (I don't bat an eye at spending money on my kit), but it's probably a worthwhile investment; while I don't think I can break my ACOG, it's conceivable a guy could fall in the mud or have humidity fog the optic under the right set of circumstances.

tomalibrando
08-19-12, 08:39
Great discussion. Just had this one at work as a matter of fact. The 1 to 4 optic was derived from the need to identify and engage a target with a small target profile yet still have good use in close quarters. Hitting a plate in the open at 300 is a different animal. (Not moving, theoretically easy to identify) The optic choice is usually based on the potential need of the user. When I was an officer, I had an Aimpoint red dot. But I had the magnifier as well. I worked in AZ where there could be a potential for longer shots or barricaded subjects where the window for determining a threat was narrow/ small. It was very handy.
By the way, we had 4 TA 47s at work go down. I like the ACOG, but anything can potentially fail. Trijicon was awesome though. We had them repaired and returned within 2 weeks.
What broke? will be the next question. The amber triangle turned into a black and yellow kaleidoscope looking reticle and the windage and elevation failed to track. They were older and used pretty hard. Considering how many we have, the failure rate was pretty small.

Tex21
08-19-12, 10:25
Great advice guys.

El Cid
08-19-12, 10:31
OP, will you ever need to shoot inside 100? If so I recommend a good variable power optic that drops to 1x. At Kyle Defoor's advanced carbine class the EOTech and Aimpoint crowd had no trouble out to 200yds. But when we shot at 300 and 400 they had trouble even seeing the steel - much less hitting it. Those of us with variable scopes and ACOGs were whacking the plates with ease.

If I could only have one optic for everything it would be my Swarovski Z6i with the BRT reticle. It really does do everything inside of 500.

markm
08-19-12, 10:33

Agreed. I was doing this yesterday with my SBR and aimpoint. Prone and kneeling. Had to hold off a little for wind, but magnification isn't needed to hit the target.

glockshooter
08-19-12, 10:54
Some guys are saying you don't need magnification to hit a target at 200-300 yards and they are correct. What they are failing to acknowledge is that it can be done quicker and more accurately with magnification. I don't claim to be an expert, but I am fairly knowledgable and experienced. If anyone here is saying you are better off with a fixed power optic (whether 1, 4, or 10) you are fooling yourself. A 1-4 or 1-6 is the best of both worlds if you have to perform in rooms and at longer distances. Now if your job or task only involves one or the other then pick what best fills the role. My work gun has an Aimpoint on it and it fits the role it is designed for primarily, however I convinced the powers that be to purchase 3x magnifiers for everyone on the team. It was an easy sell when I explained target ID for perimeter assignments.

The moral of the story is not to get set in your ways. Don't be scared to upgrade or gear or thinking.

Matt

Tom you are still the worst distraction ever.

Tex21
08-19-12, 11:20
OP, will you ever need to shoot inside 100? If so I recommend a good variable power optic that drops to 1x. At Kyle Defoor's advanced carbine class the EOTech and Aimpoint crowd had no trouble out to 200yds. But when we shot at 300 and 400 they had trouble even seeing the steel - much less hitting it. Those of us with variable scopes and ACOGs were whacking the plates with ease.

If I could only have one optic for everything it would be my Swarovski Z6i with the BRT reticle. It really does do everything inside of 500.

Yes I would shoot anywhere inside of 300 sorry for the misunderstanding... Thats really as far as I can shoot around here safely.

markm
08-20-12, 08:13
Some guys are saying you don't need magnification to hit a target at 200-300 yards and they are correct. What they are failing to acknowledge is that it can be done quicker and more accurately with magnification.

That goes without say. But the OP didn't say he wanted the quickest and most accurate sighting system for those distances.

I sure would NOT recommend skipping magnification if those were his priorities. ;)