PDA

View Full Version : Shooting with both eyes open

HES
08-18-12, 17:31
The main point of this is how do you folks manage to shoot with both eyes open when using iron sights? I have tried it and can't focus on the front sight. Everything looks crossed. So far it hasn't been a problem for me except for the fact that it reduces my field of vision.

However for my wife its a real problem. She doesn't have a dominant eye. When you do the technique to figure out your eye dominance she has always wound up in the middle of her forehead. On top of that 10 years ago she was close to being given legally blind. She has LASIK and the improvements were amazing. Yet here we are 10 years later and her vision is slowly going down hill. So in addition to the lack of eye dominance is her having a hard time focusing on the front sight.

I think that teaching her how to shoot with both eyes open is the solution. Yet I have no idea how to help her. Any suggestions other than milling the slide on her pistol and putting an MRDS on it?

J8127
08-18-12, 20:15
an MRDS seems like the simplest solution given her legitimate eye problems.

I had to try really hard for a while to figure out how to do it, once I got it on my handgun I was suddenly able to do it with long guns too. If I was surgically brought back from almost blind I think I'd cut my losses.

TomMcC
08-18-12, 20:41
If you and your wife absolutely can't do it.....don't. It's not some requirement handed down from on high. Squint that weak eye and get your hits. With a RDS you might try focusing on the target more and just let the dot float onto it.

CarlosDJackal
08-18-12, 21:42
The more "dominant" your Dominant Eye is, the easier you can accomplish this. You can train your eyes by placing a piece of frosted Scotch tape ovr your non-dominant eye when shooting.

It should start yielding more to your Dominant Eye more with repeated practice. Good luck!!

Belmont31R
08-18-12, 21:51
The more "dominant" your Dominant Eye is, the easier you can accomplish this. You can train your eyes by placing a piece of frosted Scotch tape ovr your non-dominant eye when shooting.

It should start yielding more to your Dominant Eye more with repeated practice. Good luck!!

Exactly that. Put that tape over the left lense and you'll still have peripheral vision.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

HES
08-19-12, 00:01
Thanks so fra for the advice. Im not worried about me having to close one eye. It's just my inability to do so is annoying. However for my wife it is a real concern. I too think that the MRDS is the best option. However it is the most expensive option and we would rather spend our limited funds on ammo and range time.

Shadow1198
08-19-12, 01:12
Easy way to do it on the fly, when looking at the sights, blink the non-dominant eye closed a few times. You momentarily see what you need to see with just one eye (making sure you have proper alignment), then you see what it looks like with both eyes open. I've found this can help a lot of people get used to it a bit easier.