PDA

View Full Version : The Burden Of Giving A Damn...

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 01:24
Some days I wish I could just be as thoughtless and inconsiderate as most of the other people in my zip code. I swear there are days I'm convinced I'm one of only a handful of people raised by actual parents.

So night before last at about 10pm my dullard neighbors are next door with their new puppy. They are simply holding it by the collar. It isn't on a leash, not in any kind of fenced area, not even on a lap with a good hold. Just a couple fingers through the collar.

Not surprisingly Fido escapes from his intricate confinement and is headed down the street. My dullard neighbors being to walk after the dog. By the time they have gone two houses the dog is around the corner and out of visual sight. Because I know for a fact that these two tards will never catch this dog on their own I grab a led light from inside the house and sprint down the street hoping to catch a glimpse of Fido and hopefully corner him before one of the many ****sticks who do 45 mph down residential streets splat the dog.

After about 15 minutes of running and steering Fido around houses (keep in mind this isn't even my ****ing dog) I get lucky and Fido runs through an open gate of a home with a fenced yard. So I stand there blocking the open gate while the two tard babies walk over to where I have the dog confined.

Rather than help me cover the only way in or out Mrs. Tard Baby goes knocking on the door to get permission to be in the yard. Sure it's a nice thought but your already in the yard if you're knocking on the door. And if people come out to see what the ruckus is 1/100 homeowners will understand you being in their yard IF you are retrieving your dog.

Mr. Tard Baby is standing over by the side of the fence going "Yep that's my dog allright" leaving me by myself to cover the open gate. If I explain the dog managed to get past me while the two tard babies did nothing are any of you really surprised? And the dog ran between two houses over to the next block and that was the last I saw of Fido for the evening.

The retard crew made a valiant effort, the drove around the block two times, came home and went to bed. They are going to make wonderful dog owners. The next day I ask and they tell me they never did find the dog. Amazing given their efforts right?

So anyway last night at about 2 am my motion detectors go off. I am stunned to see Fido on their porch running around and scratching on the door. The dog was only there part of a day and the fact that he found his way home is impressive to me. I'm just waiting for the wonder twins to investigate the scratching at the door and let Fido in.

Except it doesn't happen. Not a single light in the house comes on. So I figure I'll go put Fido in their fenced back yard and they will have a nice surprise in the morning. After much effort (again not my ****ing dog) I actually managed to steer Fido into their open gate and close it. I go home and no sooner than I take my shoes off I see my motion detector lights go on, look out the window and Fido is again on the front porch scratching on the door.

Seems they build fences as well as they find dogs. So I put my shoes back on and knock on the door (now 2:30am) to let them know their dog came home and is in their front yard. No answer, no lights inside, no nothing. I don't want to pound on their door because I know they have kids and don't want to scare anyone. I tried to steer Fido into my backyard but without success. And after he ran into the road several times and almost got tagged by the usual idiots going 45mph down our residential street I stopped trying to chase the dog by myself.

I figure if I put some food on the neighbors front porch the dog will stick around and will be there in the morning. So I go inside to get a bowl of food (again not my ****ing dog) and put it on the porch. The dog may have been smart enough to find it's way home but it never did seem to notice that bowl of dogfood 2 feet in front of the front door. So the dog continues to run around the yard, street and neighboring yards going to scratch on the front door every 20 minutes or so until 5am. And that was the last time I saw Fido before falling asleep myself.

So I ask this morning if they got their dog and they have no idea what I'm talking about. I tell them the entire story and they barely seem to care. They tell me if I see him again I should knock on their door (as if I didn't already do that.).

So tonight I happen to see my lights go on again at around 10pm and look out the window and Fido is running around their cars. I go over there and tell them I just saw their dog and it ran down the street when I came over to knock on their door. I suggest that if they keep an eye on things, or at a minimum open their blinds and just watch for my motion detector lights they will probably get their dog back.

They said "ok" and promptly when inside, turned off the porch lights and went to bed. The window blinds are visibly closed. It's now around 2am and so far I haven't seen Fido. I think Fido may be smarter than my neighbors and could have gone begging for a better place to live. I'm hoping he's doing ok and I really wish I could just not give a damn about a lost dog.

Magic_Salad0892
08-19-12, 01:32
That's heartbreaking. I have a soft spot for dogs. I woulda kept him or something.

HES
08-19-12, 01:37
:blink::blink::blink:

You gotta be kidding me. Really? Not normally something I'd do but have ya considered calling animal control? On top of that, have you considered adopting the pup?

SMETNA
08-19-12, 01:40
Thank you for helping out.

Is it a little ****ing yip and bite? Or an actual dog, like a lab or a shepard?

If you catch it again, bring it to a shelter in the neighboring county, so the owners don't find it. They don't deserve it, and theyll raise it like shit and give you a ton of problems.

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 02:31
:blink::blink::blink:

You gotta be kidding me. Really? Not normally something I'd do but have ya considered calling animal control? On top of that, have you considered adopting the pup?

Around her Animal Control will only come out IF you already have the dog confined. And if I could do that...

And here is the Idiot Update.

Not long after posting this I decided to go look for the dog. And I FOUND it at approx. 3:15 am. about a block down running around a house. It's a b&w doberman puppy (only 3 months old) by the way.

So I go knock on their door until they wake up (takes about 5 minutes) and Mrs. Retard comes out. I point out her dog in the middle of the street about 5 houses down and she walks down the street. Needless to say it hauls ass into a yard where she stands in the street and looks at it for about 5 minutes than comes back.

She says "Yep that's him (Duh, no ****ing kidding...at this point I'm more familiar with their dog than they are.) She informs me she doesn't want to go into the yard after it. I ask where her husband is and she tells me he's tired (he had a long day watching TV today and has to get some rest so he can not go to work tomorrow.)

Her plan is, now that she knows where the dog is, in the morning she is going to drive over to the house (5 houses away) and get the dog because she believes that must be where he is staying. At this point I no longer had the strength to explain to her that she is a ****ing retard and the dog isn't "staying" anywhere because the night before he was "staying all over the neighborhood" and I never once saw him during the daylight hours.

What kills me is the fact that if these stumble****s would simply sit on their front porch for about a half hour the dog would come to them and all they'd have to do is open the front door and let it in.

I guess at least it rained pretty hard today so I know the dog was able to get water.

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 02:34
Thank you for helping out.

Is it a little ****ing yip and bite? Or an actual dog, like a lab or a shepard?

If you catch it again, bring it to a shelter in the neighboring county, so the owners don't find it. They don't deserve it, and theyll raise it like shit and give you a ton of problems.

It crossed my mind but they have kids and I'd feel like I'm stealing a 12 year old kids new puppy. Also the 12 year old seems to be the smartest one in the whole house and I'm hoping against hope that he might actually raise a responsible dog.

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 02:54
So it is now 3:50am and the dog was sitting in front of the door and barking to be let in. Nobody did anything about it. I walked out my door and the dog ran away but came back within 5 minutes and sat at their door and barked a few more times. Now it's just wandering around again.

With even the slightest bit of initiative they'd have had their dog back last night. Tonight they were told what to do, and that would have worked to.

Did I mention I hate people? I guess if their ever is a societal collapse I won't have to waste time figuring out who to shoot first.

Reagans Rascals
08-19-12, 02:55
I myself am not shy about putting foot to ass when it comes to these situations.... if that animal is hit, it is their fault, no one else's...

The summer of '09 I had just move to Mobile, AL... it was 108 degrees outside and close to 100% humidity... and wouldn't ya know it... the shitbag neighbors left their dog outside chained up to a jungle gym with a leash 30 feet too long, it is now entangled in the jungle gym....

and there is no water bowl in sight...

I had to scrounge up whatever I could find, that being a shoe box and a Walmart bag, and go over to their house, cut his leash shorter, and leave him in the shade with the water...

I later informed them what had transpired, which to them was a non-issue.... the second time this occurred I promptly informed them if it happens even 1 more time, or if I even think something is not right with that dog... I will twist off their heads and spike it onto the floors of a nightmare that can't even begin to imagine and dance with them inside the six-sided ring of fire... that meaning call the Police, ASPCA, and any other agency that deals with animal abuse/neglect

sucks to be the good person sometimes....

Caeser25
08-19-12, 06:08
I would tie it up and call animal control. Otherwise you, a neighbor or the police will end up having to shoot it in a couple years when it attacks you due to irresponsible owners.

The_War_Wagon
08-19-12, 06:12
Did I mention I hate people? I guess if their ever is a societal collapse I won't have to waste time figuring out who to shoot first.

There does seem to be that certain subset of society, that one can observe over a SHORT period of time & conclude, that WHEN the flag goes up, THEY will most likely 'support the effort,' by confirming someone's zero... :dirol:

Sensei
08-19-12, 06:52
These people are morons. What do you expect from people who name their dog Fido?

SMETNA
08-19-12, 07:19
These people are morons. What do you expect from people who name their dog Fido?

I think he was just calling it Fido, instead of 'the dog'

Sensei
08-19-12, 07:30
I think he was just calling it Fido, instead of 'the dog'

I know. ;)

montanadave
08-19-12, 08:19
Already been said, but thanks again for your efforts towards trying to see the dog safely returned "home."

There is nothing more frustrating than seeing an animal being neglected and feeling powerless to do anything to correct the situation.

Anyway to try to get the kid involved in retrieving the dog and using that time to educate him about how to take care of Fido, as he is likely the only one who may be motivated to actually care for the pup?

HES
08-19-12, 11:14
I think SMETNA had the best idea. Yeah they have kids and they would be upset, but I think capturing the dog and taking him to a neighboring counties no kill shelter would be the best possible, most kind and humane option. On top of that I gotta wonder how they treat the kids.

El Cid
08-19-12, 11:23
Catch the dog and find it a good home far away. I'd say keep him but the dipshits next door would notice that. And I would feel bad for the kids but of they lose the dog to a speeding Buick they will still be sad and the dog dead. At least this way they lose the dog and it gets to live a full life.

You're a good citizen and the neighbors shouldn't be allowed to own a goldfish...

It will only get worse as Dobes are. Dry intelligent and require human interaction and lots of exercise. These people probably think a dog should just hang out and require little effort. Wrong breed for that!

I hate stupid people. Good luck. I'd be doing the same thing you are.

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 11:45

The dog doesn't have a name that I'm aware of. Fido is my general, all purpose dog name.

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 11:48
Already been said, but thanks again for your efforts towards trying to see the dog safely returned "home."

There is nothing more frustrating than seeing an animal being neglected and feeling powerless to do anything to correct the situation.

Anyway to try to get the kid involved in retrieving the dog and using that time to educate him about how to take care of Fido, as he is likely the only one who may be motivated to actually care for the pup?

The kids aren't always there and the last time I saw them was the first night Fido flew the coop. I remember hearing kids crying when the adults called off the search after 8 and a half minutes. I sorta suspect there is a another parent and a custody issue involved.

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 11:50
Catch the dog...

If that were possible I'd have solved the issue a couple nights ago. Ever tried to run and grab a jack rabbit?

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 11:52
As far as an update, saw the dog on the porch several more times last night when it tripped my lights. Despite the fact that it would stay on the porch and bark and lie down in the front yard for as long as 10 minutes at a time, NOBODY in the house did anything about it or even seemed to notice. This went on until about 5am.

Striker
08-19-12, 12:08
It crossed my mind but they have kids and I'd feel like I'm stealing a 12 year old kids new puppy. Also the 12 year old seems to be the smartest one in the whole house and I'm hoping against hope that he might actually raise a responsible dog.

First very good of you to take on someone else's responsibility.

Neither the kid, nor the parents deserve or actually want to have a dog. If they did, one or all of them would make a better effort to find it. Btw, he's twelve and his sense of responsibility is going to linked directly to his parents. In my experience, most of the time, responsible parents equals responsible children; irresponsible parents equals irresponsible children. Sound harsh? Maybe it is, but if you want something and in turn get something, it's your, in this case their, responsibility to take care of it. It's called personal responsibility and they don't have it. It seems like less and less people in society have it. They had their chance and they gave it up.

If it were me, had made the effort you made and saw the dog roaming around one more time, I would take SMETNA's advice so the dog could actually go to home that wants him. Junior will most likely end up like his parents.

Safetyhit
08-19-12, 12:14
I honestly do respect your proactive desire to help Steyr, but at this point you sound as lost as the rest of them. Take a few pieces of friggin bacon, walk over, attract the dog and recover the dog. If it still runs from you then report the family's overt negligence to the police. Do the dog and yourself a favor and make sure they never see it again.

If you do catch it, give it to someone deserving, just say you found it as a stray and no one has reported a lost dog to the police. Or whatever, you're smart, think of something.

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 12:28
I honestly do respect your proactive desire to help Steyr, but at this point you sound as lost as the rest of them. Take a few pieces of friggin bacon, walk over, attract the dog and recover the dog. If it still runs from you then report the family's overt negligence to the police. Do the dog and yourself a favor and make sure they never see it again.

If you do catch it, give it to someone deserving, just say you found it as a stray and no one has reported a lost dog to the police. Or whatever, you're smart, think of something.

I'm obviously not getting one thing across very effectively. With or without bacon this dog runs from me. It will sit on the neighbors porch for minutes at a time but if I even walk out of my house it will haul ass as soon as it see's me. I wasn't even successful in driving it into my backyard with the gate open.

I also don't think adding extra shit to the situation by reporting my immediate neighbors is wise. The police will basically do nothing about catching the dog and in all likelihood the neighbors would simply deny ever having a dog (I'm hoping you don't believe they actually have registered this dog with anyone yet). So it would be my word against theirs and the cops have more important shit to do around here.

I've made several valiant efforts where I made it as easy as possible for them to get their dog. This includes being outside with a led light at all hours showing them the dog right in front of them only a few houses away. I'm slow to learn sometimes but it seems obvious they have little inclination or consideration in this matter.

Way I see it is if the dog continues to keep "going home" they might accidentally recover it. If not, and I am somehow able to get the dog (unlikely) I know somebody who just might want it.

All I know is it really sucks to seem like you're the only person who even cares.

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 12:29
First very good of you to take on someone else's responsibility.

Neither the kid, nor the parents deserve or actually want to have a dog. If they did, one or all of them would make a better effort to find it. Btw, he's twelve and his sense of responsibility is going to linked directly to his parents. In my experience, most of the time, responsible parents equals responsible children; irresponsible parents equals irresponsible children. Sound harsh? Maybe it is, but if you want something and in turn get something, it's your, in this case their, responsibility to take care of it. It's called personal responsibility and they don't have it. It seems like less and less people in society have it. They had their chance and they gave it up.

If it were me, had made the effort you made and saw the dog roaming around one more time, I would take SMETNA's advice so the dog could actually go to home that wants him. Junior will most likely end up like his parents.

I probably wouldn't bet money that you are wrong.

Safetyhit
08-19-12, 12:37
If the dog runs then try leaving a trail of extra appealing food tonight from their porch area to your designated secure area. Then, since you seem to be up 22 out of 24 hours a day anyway, be ready to capture as needed.

If I were you I'd be bothered by this as well, otherwise I'd be suggesting that you simply ignore the dog.

Reagans Rascals
08-19-12, 12:50
If that were possible I'd have solved the issue a couple nights ago. Ever tried to run and grab a jack rabbit?
http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t403/jwmassaro/f8hM8.jpg

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-19-12, 12:55
In the words of a wise lizard, "Not my chair, not my problem."

Safetyhit
08-19-12, 13:06
In the words of a wise lizard, "Not my chair, not my problem."

Obviously you are entitled to this opinion, but odds are that we wouldn't be very well off as a society if everyone felt this way. Personally I'll take the Steyr type over the distant/selfish/uncaring type any day of the week.

GTifosi
08-19-12, 13:07
I applaud your efforts, but from a purely observational standpoint, you are never going to actually catch the dog.

Chasing and hearding are predatory behaviors and will result in what you've already been experiencing.
Like most animals know how to swim instinctively, they also know to run from perceived danger.

Talk to it and just sit on your steps with some yummies and a dish of water.
Don't stand until it becomes comfortable with you, don't slouch when interacting with it because from thier ground level view it makes you look like you're puffing up in aggression, and don't smile as we are the only species that show teeth when trying to be freindly while all others do it in anger or defense.

Done with a modicum of patience the dog will likely be over on its back looking for a tummy rub within 20 minutes or less.

Were it older it may or may not respond to the above dependant on its interactions with people over its life, but as a puppy its really just looking for a freindly pack to join.

Striker
08-19-12, 13:17
Obviously you are entitled to this opinion, but odds are that we wouldn't be very well off as a society if everyone felt this way. Personally I'll take the Steyr type over the distant/selfish/uncaring type any day of the week.

Good post and I'm with you.

RD62
08-19-12, 14:30
Perhaps a bowl of food and an extra large Havahart trap placed on the neighbors porch at or before 10pm would secure and contain Fido until the AM when your neighbors arise from the dead?

Hootiewho
08-19-12, 14:34
Steyr,

You're a good man & unfortunately in today's world, your kind is few & far between. I think our outlooks on things are very similar, by reading your posts over time here. I came to a point a few years ago of wheither to give a shit or not, & the issue that was at hand was over the treatment of children (or neglect/flat out not giving a shit) by the mother & father of some relatives. I could not let it go on without making an issue of it, and did I ever. I didn't involve any outside agencys as IMHO it wasn't to that point yet, but I did my best to show the parents for what scumbags they were. In the end, it won me no friends, I ended up the asshole, but atleast I can sleep knowing I made the effort.

One of the things I have the hardest time coming to terms with in my adulthood is the sheer number of pieces of shit that are out there. Maybe it was different when I was a child in the 80's or maybe it's always been this way & being young & dumb, I didn't notice it; but the bottom line is the true 1%er's out there are the ones, like you Steyr, who try to do the right thing, even at 3am when not a soul is around to see your good deeds. If you're ever in SC, beers on me.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
08-19-12, 15:09

Im glad you and others find it necessary to work for those who wont work for themselves. I'll gladly help the man willing to work with me, but I wont help someone willing to sleep while I work. Nuff said on my part.

Safetyhit
08-19-12, 16:01
Im glad you and others find it necessary to work for those who wont work for themselves. I'll gladly help the man willing to work with me, but I wont help someone willing to sleep while I work. Nuff said on my part.

Where did anyone suggest he continue in vain to help the husband and wife? My only concern is for the dog and perhaps the children who are being grossly let down by their parents.

Unfortunately you are displaying a one dimensional, selfish approach to the matter. Which again, is indeed your right.

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 17:17

Just so you understand. I'm not really doing this for the neighbors. I'm doing it for the dog and myself. I fully understand this isn't my responsibility, but I'm one of those types who will lay awake thinking about shit like this. So I might as well get up and see if I can do something about it.

Along those lines, here is the idiot neighbor update.

Mrs. Bumble****stick actually DID manage to locate the dog when she rolled her fat ass out of bed today and decided to go look. And in her words "I saw her in that ladies yard down the street and kept calling her but I couldn't get her to come to me."

End of story.

So rather than attempt to coordinate any kind of effort to go retrieve a dog about a block away they have written the dog off. I went back inside to ponder their ignorance and indifference.

Later today I was working in the front yard and their kids were playing with a new puppy. Yep they just went and got another dog. Great lesson for those kids. The 7 year old girl was on her bike in the street looking at the puppy that was trying to chase her. Neither the 7 year old or the puppy were watching traffic and none of the three adults on the front porch were paying particularly close attention to the 7 year old and the puppy in the street.

Couldn't take it anymore, had to come inside. I'm trying to tell myself it's not my chair.

Safetyhit
08-19-12, 17:51
I think an anonymous report to local officials is in order, maybe even the SPCA. No one needs to know it came from you. Just say that they bought a dog that has escaped and is running about the neighborhood yet they couldn't care less about it. Let them know someone is paying attention.

I'd still try to discretely catch the dog tonight and do what is needed. Even if the dog catcher finds it first and they send it to a shelter it will likely be adopted quickly since it's a puppy.

Striker
08-19-12, 18:42

Yeah I understand. It’s too much work for you to intervene. Except from my POV, that dog has no one to properly care for him and he really didn’t ask to be in this situation. Good for Steyr for intervening because every other adult in the situation seems to lack the motivation and sense of responsibility to get up off their lazy asses long enough to do what's right.

Just so you understand. I'm not really doing this for the neighbors. I'm doing it for the dog and myself. I fully understand this isn't my responsibility, but I'm one of those types who will lay awake thinking about shit like this. So I might as well get up and see if I can do something about it.

Along those lines, here is the idiot neighbor update.

Mrs. Bumble****stick actually DID manage to locate the dog when she rolled her fat ass out of bed today and decided to go look. And in her words "I saw her in that ladies yard down the street and kept calling her but I couldn't get her to come to me."

End of story.

So rather than attempt to coordinate any kind of effort to go retrieve a dog about a block away they have written the dog off. I went back inside to ponder their ignorance and indifference.

Later today I was working in the front yard and their kids were playing with a new puppy. Yep they just went and got another dog. Great lesson for those kids. The 7 year old girl was on her bike in the street looking at the puppy that was trying to chase her. Neither the 7 year old or the puppy were watching traffic and none of the three adults on the front porch were paying particularly close attention to the 7 year old and the puppy in the street.

Couldn't take it anymore, had to come inside. I'm trying to tell myself it's not my chair.

I think it has become your chair because you don't seem to be the type to walk away from a tough situation. Btw, I commend you for this. What started out as an act of kindness has turned into a nightmare for you.

FWIW, I don't think they care about the dog anymore and as I stated earlier, they gave their chance up anyway. So if you feel like taking the step to pick it up or get someone to pick it up, I think you can end this for yourself.

Magic_Salad0892
08-19-12, 19:59
Honestly, you could keep the dog yourself and the neighbors wouldn't care at all.

Plus. Then you could post pics in the adorable guard dog thread! :D

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 20:12
I think an anonymous report to local officials is in order, maybe even the SPCA. No one needs to know it came from you. Just say that they bought a dog that has escaped and is running about the neighborhood yet they couldn't care less about it. Let them know someone is paying attention.

I'd still try to discretely catch the dog tonight and do what is needed. Even if the dog catcher finds it first and they send it to a shelter it will likely be adopted quickly since it's a puppy.

I really don't think you understand the environment around here. Most govt. types prefer to not have to do their job. Animal control won't come out unless you already have the animal confined. They will do nothing about an anonymous report, if a person won't make a statement they won't do their job.

If I somehow manage to catch the dog, I'm sure I can find somebody who would take care of it. At this point I suspect that even if I brought the dog to them the neighbors wouldn't even want it anymore.

The second night the husband referred to the dog as a "useless mutt" because it ran away.

SteyrAUG
08-19-12, 20:13
Honestly, you could keep the dog yourself and the neighbors wouldn't care at all.

Plus. Then you could post pics in the adorable guard dog thread! :D

I already have two. Not sure I could survive having a third.

P2000
08-19-12, 23:42

Oh my...I was really, truly enjoying this thread until I read this. I was thinking positive, that you were the one with the head unobstructed by ass, and they were going to slowly figure this shit out over the next week, perhaps in their own way with a little luck and Fido would be safe again and all would be well. Unfortunately, this is total bullshit, who on this earth does shit like this? You have some truly ****ed neighbors, that is for sure. Children are in such a position to learn good lessons and it is really surprising to see parents piss it away. I wish I could give some good advice but there doesn't seem to be any.

SMETNA
08-20-12, 00:13
. . . . So . . . . . . . Pissed . . . . . . . . Off . . . . . . Right . . . . . Now . . . . . .

**** your neighbors. NEVER speak to them again. What terrible, terrible, stupid, unprincipled people.

Sensei
08-20-12, 00:18
The dog doesn't have a name that I'm aware of. Fido is my general, all purpose dog name.

I know. That was my attempt at being a smartass. You were not the only one who didn't appreciate my humor, so I'll be sure to practice harder in the future.

Now, back to your dog problem. If you are interested in taking the dog into your home, this needs to be an all or nothing proposition. You can talk it over with your neighbor and reach a consensus that you are the new owner that is responsible for the feeding, housing, vet bills, etc.

On the other hand, I suggest that you leave it alone if they insist on having any part in the ownership of this animal. You also need to make it clear that the dog stays off your property. The last thing you need is a dog that hangs around on your property and then injures someone else. If the neighbors will not contain the dog, take pictures of it on your property for animal control. That is more than enough for a citation in most municipalities. I had to take pictures of my neighbors dog due to it repeatedly coming onto my front yard and barking at my family and guests. Animal control issued a citation and the problem was solved (I had to take the pics to their office - well worth the drive).

Jellybean
08-20-12, 00:30
........ anyway last night at about 2 am my motion detectors go off. I am stunned to see Fido on their porch running around and scratching on the door. The dog was only there part of a day and the fact that he found his way home is impressive to me. I'm just waiting for the wonder twins to investigate the scratching at the door and let Fido in.

Except it doesn't happen. Not a single light in the house comes on. So I figure I'll go put Fido in their fenced back yard and they will have a nice surprise in the morning. After much effort (again not my ****ing dog) I actually managed to steer Fido into their open gate and close it. I go home and no sooner than I take my shoes off I see my motion detector lights go on, look out the window and Fido is again on the front porch scratching on the door.

Seems they build fences as well as they find dogs. So I put my shoes back on and knock on the door (now 2:30am) to let them know their dog came home and is in their front yard. No answer, no lights inside, no nothing. I don't want to pound on their door because I know they have kids and don't want to scare anyone. I tried to steer Fido into my backyard but without success. And after he ran into the road several times and almost got tagged by the usual idiots going 45mph down our residential street I stopped trying to chase the dog by myself.

I figure if I put some food on the neighbors front porch the dog will stick around and will be there in the morning. So I go inside to get a bowl of food (again not my ****ing dog) and put it on the porch. The dog may have been smart enough to find it's way home but it never did seem to notice that bowl of dogfood 2 feet in front of the front door. So the dog continues to run around the yard, street and neighboring yards going to scratch on the front door every 20 minutes or so until 5am. And that was the last time I saw Fido before falling asleep myself...........

:blink:

You've got to be kidding me. You're saying the dog spent the majority of the night clawing and barking AT THEIR DOOR, along with God knows who knocking on the door in the middle of the night, and they didn't check it out?
Are they sleeping in an underground bunker? Are they deaf?
Are their children equally as oblivious and/or deaf?
I know after only 5 minutes of scratching and clawing at whatever-o'clock AM I would be at least pissed off enough to investigate, let alone someone knocking during the course of all that. I can think of a number of 5 second catfights here that have prompted a more immediate and dynamic [:p] investigation of the sitation (albeit for good reason). And I know, if I rewind back to that age, I would be in parent's room going "mommy/daddy someones knocking on the door".....

........Later today I was working in the front yard and their kids were playing with a new puppy. Yep they just went and got another dog. Great lesson for those kids. The 7 year old girl was on her bike in the street looking at the puppy that was trying to chase her. Neither the 7 year old or the puppy were watching traffic and none of the three adults on the front porch were paying particularly close attention to the 7 year old and the puppy in the street.

Good grief.
I concur. People suck.

SteyrAUG
08-20-12, 01:03
I know. That was my attempt at being a smartass. You were not the only one who didn't appreciate my humor, so I'll be sure to practice harder in the future.

Now, back to your dog problem. If you are interested in taking the dog into your home, this needs to be an all or nothing proposition. You can talk it over with your neighbor and reach a consensus that you are the new owner that is responsible for the feeding, housing, vet bills, etc.

On the other hand, I suggest that you leave it alone if they insist on having any part in the ownership of this animal. You also need to make it clear that the dog stays off your property. The last thing you need is a dog that hangs around on your property and then injures someone else. If the neighbors will not contain the dog, take pictures of it on your property for animal control. That is more than enough for a citation in most municipalities. I had to take pictures of my neighbors dog due to it repeatedly coming onto my front yard and barking at my family and guests. Animal control issued a citation and the problem was solved (I had to take the pics to their office - well worth the drive).

I might have caught onto the whole Fido thing had I been sleeping the last few nights instead of being on dog watch.

As for my neighbors, since they aren't interested in being responsible for the dog, I'm not interested in any further opinions they may hold regarding the dog.

Ironically the dog was just on my porch about 15 minutes ago. Of course as soon as I opened the door he was 4 houses down in about 30 seconds. I put out a hot dog so at least he will eat if he can find it when he comes back around (I'm sure he will consistently return for the next several hours as that seems to be his pattern).

I'm going to try and condition him to come to my porch looking for food and then if successful I'm going to make him have to get the food from me personally and hopefully contain him. In the meantime I've got to try and find a home for him. I have some friends who just bought a house and were talking about getting a dog but when I brought it up today they weren't interested at all.

Worst case scenario I have to try and find a "no kill" shelter, but I'm not sure we have one in this county. And last time I turned a dog over to animal control it was dead in 2 days. I learned that one the hard way as I had found a home for him a mere 4 days later and called to get info on how to have my friend adopt the dog.

SteyrAUG
08-20-12, 01:08
:blink:

You've got to be kidding me. You're saying the dog spent the majority of the night clawing and barking AT THEIR DOOR, along with God knows who knocking on the door in the middle of the night, and they didn't check it out?
Are they sleeping in an underground bunker? Are they deaf?
Are their children equally as oblivious and/or deaf?

I know after only 5 minutes of scratching and clawing at whatever-o'clock AM I would be at least pissed off enough to investigate, let alone someone knocking during the course of all that. I can think of a number of 5 second catfights here that have prompted a more immediate and dynamic [:p] investigation of the sitation (albeit for good reason). And I know, if I rewind back to that age, I would be in parent's room going "mommy/daddy someones knocking on the door".....

They seem pretty oblivious. I don't think the kids were home the next night, like I said I think they have another parent elsewhere and shared custody.

They also seem pretty skilled at sleeping comfortably and not letting anything interrupt their rest.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-20-12, 01:54
Where did anyone suggest he continue in vain to help the husband and wife? My only concern is for the dog and perhaps the children who are being grossly let down by their parents.

Failed them by
-genetics
-example

What is the neighbor like on the other side? If there was karma, she's be a nude sunbather who didn't like to get oil on her hands...

SteyrAUG
08-20-12, 02:31
Failed them by
-genetics
-example

What is the neighbor like on the other side? If there was karma, she's be a nude sunbather who didn't like to get oil on her hands...

Actually had that for a few years (famous green thong topless pics) from arfcom for anyone who might remember. Sadly she eventually moved and we have a more gooberish couple.

The ones I really miss are the Brazillian chicks who used to live behind me and played backyard volleyball in thongs and sometimes did some all nude sunbathing.

And here is the 3:30am update.

Hot dogs worked better than expected and was able to bait hungry dog into my back yard and close the gate.

Anyone want a free doberman puppy?

http://i50.tinypic.com/28cle6t.jpg

Cincinnatus
08-20-12, 02:45
It can be very difficult to catch a dog that runs from you, and is much easier said than done.
I had a Husky pup about 6 months old, that I had just bought. I was bringing it home for the first time and got ready to open my truck door to bring it into the house. I, of course, got a tight, full-fisted grip on its collar BEFORE I opened the truck door. What I didn't realize, however, was that said collar had not been cinched tight enought to properly retain the dog (the previous owners had done the job). So, when I opened the door, the dog made a run for it and slipped the collar.
I was recovering from a recent back surgery and was not supposed to run, but not wanting the dog to get runover, lost, etc, I ran after it.
Other escaped dogs can often be waylaid or found to linger around their home, but this dog had not been at my house for even 5 minutes and had no conncection there, so waiting for it to come back was a vain hope.
I eventually caught the dog, but it took 5 literal hours of running after the animal until it got tired (it would not run out of sight but out of reach and then turn and watch you). It took me and four other people in my neighborhood, strangers all, who lent a helping hand, and another guy in a jeep, to evenutally corner the animal, at which point I only barely managed to tackle and grip the animal. I had tried luring it with treats and food and all sorts of things, and it would come within three feet of me but always dash away the second I made a grab for it. In the end, I screwed up my back all over again, but caught the dog.
In my case, I was encouraged by the fact that many people in my neighborhood, strangers even, all pitched in to help, and I did not encounter any of the indifference you saw in your neighbors, Steyr.
There are still a lot of good folks out there, but I have noticed that certain areas seem much more devoid of such people than others, for instance, most big cities, a lot of places in the North, and even many places in smaller towns and cities where there is a prevailing attitude of indifference and self-centeredness.

Glad you caught him! Good going!

Cincinnatus
08-20-12, 02:50
Are you sure he's a doberman? He looks like a Rat Terrier--a great dog by the way.

SMETNA
08-20-12, 02:53
They also seem pretty skilled at sleeping comfortably and not letting anything interrupt their rest.

Good. Then slash their tires for being such scumbags

ETA: glad you caught the wiley little fella.

Magic_Salad0892
08-20-12, 04:13
Actually had that for a few years (famous green thong topless pics) from arfcom for anyone who might remember. Sadly she eventually moved and we have a more gooberish couple.

The ones I really miss are the Brazillian chicks who used to live behind me and played backyard volleyball in thongs and sometimes did some all nude sunbathing.

And here is the 3:30am update.

Hot dogs worked better than expected and was able to bait hungry dog into my back yard and close the gate.

Anyone want a free doberman puppy?

http://i50.tinypic.com/28cle6t.jpg

That dog is adorable. If my apartment didn't have a "no pets" policy, I'd be adopting that dog right now.

Hootiewho
08-20-12, 05:44
I'm no dog catching expert, but I've played the game a number of times. Some dogs will chase a laser pointer some wont. If your dog will & he gets loose at night, you'll need 3 things. Some sort of predator call, rabbit in distress, rodent in distress, or even just doing a rodent squeak with your mouth. If he/she got loose, they want to get into something, use that to your advantage. Make writhing in pain animal sounds until the dog appears to investigate, then shine the pointer infront of them so they can see it & let them chase it back your way. Don't go in a straight line, but zig zag some. Sometimes they'll follow it back into the pen. If not, take the 3rd thing, hot dogs and run the dot to the food near you or into their pen. This has worked for me several times on a few different dogs, all of whom would chase a laser.

In daytime, the predator calls work the same & usually better than calling or whistling for the dog as it appeals to their instinct to cat prey.

montanadave
08-20-12, 07:04
Thanks again for your efforts to keep the little guy safe. I hope you are able to find a suitable home for him.

Perhaps the burden of giving a damn can give way to the satisfaction of knowing you did the right thing and saved a pup from what was likely to be a rather Hobbesian fate (i.e. "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short").

Strong work.

Zhurdan
08-20-12, 08:58
I applaud your efforts, but from a purely observational standpoint, you are never going to actually catch the dog.

Chasing and hearding are predatory behaviors and will result in what you've already been experiencing.
Like most animals know how to swim instinctively, they also know to run from perceived danger.

Talk to it and just sit on your steps with some yummies and a dish of water.
Don't stand until it becomes comfortable with you, don't slouch when interacting with it because from thier ground level view it makes you look like you're puffing up in aggression, and don't smile as we are the only species that show teeth when trying to be freindly while all others do it in anger or defense.

Done with a modicum of patience the dog will likely be over on its back looking for a tummy rub within 20 minutes or less.

Were it older it may or may not respond to the above dependant on its interactions with people over its life, but as a puppy its really just looking for a freindly pack to join.

Pert neer how I'd handle it too. It's worked in the past for me on a neighbors dog.

Now, my dogs... .another story. Ezri (Jack Russell) was hooked to her cable and she saw a bird and bolted. Hit the end of her cable and *SNAP*, there went the collar buckle. Gone like a bolt of lightning. She would hunt all damn day long given the option. She's smart and I chased after her for three hours. The only point at which she displayed any interest in me was when I walked back towards the truck. I heard her coming and didn't look back. I just walked up to the truck and opened the door. BOING, there she is, sitting on her spot in the truck.

Learning moment, as GTifosi pointed out, some dogs think you coming after them is part of the game, and they'll play all day/night long.

Good luck Steyr

*ETA* Didn't see page three... glad you caught the little guy.

Safetyhit
08-20-12, 09:51
Excellent work Steyr. Stay just as vigilant with the search for a new owner and you're almost done, this unless it somehow wins your heart in the meantime.

As far as the dog you turned in that was euthanized in a mere two days, unless it was biting the staff that is complete and total bullshit. I would have been tempted to stop in and see the supervisor for a detailed explanation as to why that was deemed necessary, unless perhaps you were offered a plausible one.

El Cid
08-20-12, 09:57
I was going to suggest looking for a Doberman Rescue (that's where I got mine, and they are typically all over the country). But looking at the pic, it appears to be maybe a mini-pin. There may still be a no-kill rescue for mini-pins or something.

Good luck! As a dog lover your efforts are appreciated...

J-Dub
08-20-12, 11:12
Do you live in my neighborhood? lol

It seems there is no shortage of ****tards these days. I think its the flouride in the water, maybe its just making everyone retarded.

Or T.V.'s, Ipods, breeding, junk shit food,...who knows.

Reagans Rascals
08-20-12, 11:42
that dog looks awesome.....

If I didn't already have 4... I'd take it right now no question asked

I think you need to borrow a power tool from them.... and then take a big China Buffet dump in the carb, and promptly return it

SteyrAUG
08-20-12, 12:33
Excellent work Steyr. Stay just as vigilant with the search for a new owner and you're almost done, this unless it somehow wins your heart in the meantime.

As far as the dog you turned in that was euthanized in a mere two days, unless it was biting the staff that is complete and total bullshit. I would have been tempted to stop in and see the supervisor for a detailed explanation as to why that was deemed necessary, unless perhaps you were offered a plausible one.

No way I can keep the dog, I already have two. I'm trying to find a new home. We have a "no kill" shelter but that is predicated on the dog not showing any signs of aggressiveness. And as this dog has been on it's own for 3 nights (including an encounter where it got rolled by a couple of other strays) it's extremely skittish and defensive. And that will be deemed "aggressiveness" and win him a date with a needle.

The other dog I turned in years ago was put down because it was a large "dangerous breed." It was an exceptionally docile (and very tired Rottweiler) that just walked into our yard and laid down in front of us. I had to pick it's head up to put a water dish under it otherwise he was too tired to drink. But what I learned later is it didn't matter how docile he was, his large size and breed meant he didn't have a chance at all. I was pissed.

SteyrAUG
08-20-12, 12:35
Are you sure he's a doberman? He looks like a Rat Terrier--a great dog by the way.

I only know what the former owners told me, and they could easily be wrong about that too.

Reagans Rascals
08-20-12, 12:36
No way I can keep the dog, I already have two. I'm trying to find a new home. We have a "no kill" shelter but that is predicated on the dog not showing any signs of aggressiveness. And as this dog has been on it's own for 3 nights (including an encounter where it got rolled by a couple of other strays) it's extremely skittish and defensive. And that will be deemed "aggressiveness" and win him a date with a needle.

The other dog I turned in years ago was put down because it was a large "dangerous breed." It was an exceptionally docile (and very tired Rottweiler) that just walked into our yard and laid down in front of us. I had to pick it's head up to put a water dish under it otherwise he was too tired to drink. But what I learned later is it didn't matter how docile he was, his large size and breed meant he didn't have a chance at all. I was pissed.

http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/154374/animal-shelter

"got a sweet does of murder for ya.... what the....blasted he's escaped......oh well.... lets murder one of these other dogs....."

that pretty much sums it up.... South Park always seems to just hit the nail right on the head...

SteyrAUG
08-20-12, 17:16
I must say I am stunned by how hard it is to give a puppy away for FREE.

All the "rescue" shelters are mostly uninterested and the ones that I can "drop him off" at will give him 5 days before the needle. He'd be better off running around loose dodging cars at night and scrounging for food.

To make matters worse, in his mind I'm the new "home" now because this is where he found food, water and shelter (even if he is still afraid of me). So if I let him go he'd be back every night only this time at my gate. And I'd never get another nights sleep again knowing he's out there, not to mention it would make me about as bad as the shitbags next door.

God I hate these ****ers for creating this situation.

Zhurdan
08-20-12, 17:19
Have they said anything to you now that you have the little bugger?

Or did they completely write him off?

I'd think that if they paid anything for it, they'd say something.

GTifosi
08-20-12, 18:06
Where abouts are you located?
(region is fine)

SteyrAUG
08-20-12, 18:16
Have they said anything to you now that you have the little bugger?

Or did they completely write him off?

I'd think that if they paid anything for it, they'd say something.

I don't think they know I have him, I'm almost 100% sure he was given to them by somebody they know. I doubt they paid anything for the current puppy.

If they did say something, I'd let them know that if they can't be bothered to open the door and let him in, I don't want to be bothered by them.

SteyrAUG
08-20-12, 18:18
Where abouts are you located?
(region is fine)

Pompano Beach, FL if anyone wants a free puppy.

He's still skittish as all hell but I picked him up and petted him for the first time tonight while getting him food and water. We had a couple moments of him getting piss scared and biting me (I was wearing heavy gloves so no matter) but he is calming down.

Here's the latest pics, a little less stressed out.

http://i49.tinypic.com/qod07d.jpg

Safetyhit
08-20-12, 18:34
It seems odd that the dog is still so reluctant to trust you, but maybe it's potentially difficult disposition helped get it where it is today. Either way, you know you have done the right thing.

GTifosi
08-20-12, 18:43
Pompano Beach, FL

Ooooh... Almost as far away as you can be from me.
So much for meeting somewhere in the middle and me taking him home to add to the pack.

Don Robison
08-20-12, 18:44
Good on you Steyr for giving a damn.
Cute dog; the former owners need their couch and TV shoved up their ass.
We've got two rescue dogs and I'll never understand how people can mistreat an animal. One is an 85lb Pit mix that weighed 25lb at a year old when he was dumped after being beaten, burned and starved. He's one of the most gentle dogs we've ever owned.

Sorry for the rant; people who abuse animals are only a half a step away from abusing their kids in my experience and they should be put out of everyone's misery.

SteyrAUG
08-20-12, 19:02
It seems odd that the dog is still so reluctant to trust you, but maybe it's potentially difficult disposition helped get it where it is today. Either way, you know you have done the right thing.

I find it hard to blame a 3 month old puppy for anything. It hasn't even known me for 24 hours yet, hardly a surprise that it isn't hopping in my lap yet.

The dog has had three difficult days and nights on it's own. I suspect it's gonna take time for the dog to warm up. Being "scared of everything" is hardly a unique disposition for any 3 month old puppy, let alone one that has been abandoned.

I think the fault clearly and completely lies with my neighbors who weren't responsible enough to own a dog in the first place.

Safetyhit
08-20-12, 19:23
I find it hard to blame a 3 month old puppy for anything. It hasn't even known me for 24 hours yet, hardly a surprise that it isn't hopping in my lap yet.

The dog has had three difficult days and nights on it's own. I suspect it's gonna take time for the dog to warm up. Being "scared of everything" is hardly a unique disposition for any 3 month old puppy, let alone one that has been abandoned.

I think the fault clearly and completely lies with my neighbors who weren't responsible enough to own a dog in the first place.

We can respectfully disagree here, as I'm inclined to believe that unless the dog has been abused or is otherwise somewhat difficult it would have recognized you as a friend to some extent by now. After all, it was raised by humans so you are not exactly an alien to it. And I have had dogs all of my life, so I have some basic understanding in that regard. But of course I could be wrong and admire your patience.

SteyrAUG
08-20-12, 19:35
We can respectfully disagree here, as I'm inclined to believe that unless the dog has been abused or is otherwise somewhat difficult it would have recognized you as a friend to some extent by now. After all, it was raised by humans so you are not exactly an alien to it. And I have had dogs all of my life, so I have some basic understanding in that regard. But of course I could be wrong and admire your patience.

I have had dogs all my life as well. I have seen some improvement in the last 24 hours from "OMG it's him run for your life" to "taking food from my hand" to "will hold still and allow me to pet her."

This dog is of course far more skittish than any dog I have owned before, of course I never left any of my dogs to fend for themselves for 3 days and nights. So I'm just giving the dog the benefit of the doubt for now.

Caeser25
08-20-12, 21:12
Glad to read you caught the little bugger.

Magic_Salad0892
08-20-12, 23:08
Pompano Beach, FL if anyone wants a free puppy.

He's still skittish as all hell but I picked him up and petted him for the first time tonight while getting him food and water. We had a couple moments of him getting piss scared and biting me (I was wearing heavy gloves so no matter) but he is calming down.

Here's the latest pics, a little less stressed out.

http://i49.tinypic.com/qod07d.jpg

Oh my God. I hate where I live so bad right now.

SMETNA
08-20-12, 23:38
Perhaps they will get karma-smacked and their new puppy will get ripped to shreds by a stray that somebody else abandoned.

Things have a way of coming full-circle.

SteyrAUG
08-21-12, 02:23
Perhaps they will get karma-smacked and their new puppy will get ripped to shreds by a stray that somebody else abandoned.

Things have a way of coming full-circle.

That would hardly be karma, they'd simply get another new puppy. They are thoughtless morons who see dogs as replaceable items of little value. It would be like their kid losing his soccer ball, except that soccer balls cost money and that would be a bigger deal than losing a puppy.

Not to mention the puppy getting ripped by strays would hardly be something the dog deserves. It has done nothing to earn bad karma, in fact it has to be the dog for these thoughtless morons so that is probably pretty bad in and of itself.

True karma would be for somebody to show THEM the same consideration they have shown the dog. Perhaps the kiddies will learn a valuable lesson in being responsible for those who depend on you and when it comes time for Mom and Dad to "need some help in their last days" perhaps the kids will just get another puppy and park the parents in the old folks home.

SMETNA
08-21-12, 02:46
You're right. Their kids dumping them off in some feces-laden state nursing home and moving away would be more of a karma-spanking

SteyrAUG
08-21-12, 15:54
Well this really sucks and isn't how I wanted things to end.

But 15 minutes ago I had three kids screaming at the fence because "they found their dog."

So I went and knocked on the door of Mr. and Mrs. Useless **** to see what they wanted to do about it. Mrs. Useless **** all but told me they can't have two dogs (and they have clearly settled on the new, easier to catch puppy) but said they will take Fido and try and find a new home for her. She expressed the realization that they will have to keep Fido indoors (Gee do ya think?) for the time being. And of course she said if they can't find anyone to take it they will just take it to the shelter.

I let her know (not that she actually ****ing cares) that if she takes it to the shelter the dog will get 5 days at best. Of course I couldn't keep the dog indefinitely and wasn't having much luck getting anyone to take the dog so eventually I would have needed to decide between the shelter and letting it go, neither of which I wanted to do.

And the ONLY reason I gave the dog back, and the only part that feels good about this whole crappy situation, is Fido was at the fence whining and wagging his tail off because she was so happy to see the kids. That is clearly where the dog wanted to be.

Of course Mr. and Mrs. Oxygen Thief are probably gonna give it "maybe" two days effort to find another home before they drop it off at the pound and traumatize their kids again and abandon the dog to it's fate. That is assuming it hasn't gotten loose again by 8pm tonight.

Hopefully somebody will come through on the ammo offer and I can make sure it goes to a good home.

Cincinnatus
08-22-12, 13:39
A bitter end to the story, but you did more than your duty for sure. Let us know of any new developments.
Too bad there's no easy way to get a dog from several states away.

Waylander
08-22-12, 15:39
My wife and I were put in a similar situation recently. She was at a downtown post office when a beautiful full grown but young Husky showed up. She asked around the PO and local establishments if anyone owned or knew who owned the dog but no one gave her anything. The people in the PO said they had seen it from time to time.

She brought the dog home with her and it was the most well mannered animal I've ever seen. It didn't bark much at all the two days and nights we kept it, seemed to be well taken care of, and knew basic commands. The same night she brought it home, we made up signs with a picture and our contact info to post all around the area of the PO. I spoke with one convenience store clerk who said the dog had often visited her home and her kids would play with it but it would always go back. She didn't know who it belonged to. I was wondering "gee, you ever thought the dog was going to get run over and maybe you need to try to do something?"

A couple of days had passed and I had become very fond of the dog and was thinking about keeping it anyway since Mr. and Mrs. Clueless couldn't seem to take care of a good dog. Well, sure enough they call us the 2nd night or so and we met them to return the dog. The entire time I'm thinking "what dumb asses let a dog get loose to run around and probably get run over?...I know I'm probably giving it a death sentence by giving it back to them."

They assured me they were going to build a fence and not let it get loose anymore :rolleyes:
Every time I drive by that area I just know I'm going to find the dog lying dead in the street.

Giving a damn sucks...badly sometimes.
ETA: Some people treat animals like they're just disposable toys and whatever happens, happens...'oh well, it's just a dog' type mentality. Being proactive and taking responsibility isn't some people's forté.

My wife is constantly bringing strays home and while I admire her loving heart, it often turns into more grief for us than satisfaction of knowing we did the right thing. Have you tried to find any 'no-kill' shelters? I think I asked around at some Vet's offices once and they referred me to one or two. The only stipulation they had was the animals had to be spayed or neutered but they wouldn't pay for it so it was a no-go for us. Luckily we were able to give them away. Obviously you don't want to invest a few hundred dollars in a dog you can't keep but maybe one could take her in without that stipulation.

Honu
08-22-12, 17:13
I would love to be in the movies and say to mr and mrs dumb a$$ and just say here is the deal you take care of the dog and love it I will check in every few weeks if the dog dies guess whos next :)
if the dog seems abused guess whos next

have a nice day smile and walk off ;)

to bad we dont live in the movies sometimes !

I hate people that abuse animals !
no issues hunting or eating them but pure abuse is just not called for and deserves to have the abuser get a taste of their own medicine sometimes

SteyrAUG
12-31-12, 16:56
Well as a final "update" after replacing Fido with a new puppy (which turned out to be a Chihuahua) no more than a month later they got a second dog (some sort of walking mop) so they got rid of the original dog for nothing. From what I understand their logic was it wasn't a good dog because it would run away. These things happen if you do absolutely NOTHING to train your dog.

Anyway Taco Bell dog and wookie mop almost immediately became "yard dogs" which meant I spent the first couple months "training" them not to bark after 11pm. This was accomplished with a simple hose and they soon learned to go to the far end of the yard to do their barking.

About a month ago that neighbor must have gotten fed up with it because he bought his own bigger dog to deal with the two squawking "yap dogs" outside his bedroom window. Eventually he must have reached the end of his rope a couple weeks ago and called the police because one night when I was getting the hose ready to see if it could reach across the yard a police car pulled up at 1 am and they let the dogs in.

Well this morning at about 9am I was awoken by the sound of Taco Bell dog barking on the front porch. Turns out it was in a cage for animal control to pick up. The owner complained that it kept pooping in the house. Not sure if they gave away mop dog too but I haven't seen either.

So lessons learned if you are a Section 8 welfare leach.

1. Get free dogs.
2. Don't do anything to train and / or control your dogs.
3. Leave dogs outside, they are everyone else's problem.
4. If anyone complains and police enforce local ordinances, just give dogs away to become county problem.
5. It is the dogs fault if he hasn't been properly house broken.

Lessons taught to both kids. Dogs are free and disposable.

Magic_Salad0892
12-31-12, 17:08
Wow. There are no words....

SteyrAUG
12-31-12, 17:13
Wow. There are no words....

I guess at least my water bill will be lower.

HES
12-31-12, 19:59
And to think, there is a family that would have gladly taken those dogs.

armakraut
12-31-12, 20:51
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man.

SeriousStudent
12-31-12, 22:53
I'm honestly not surprised.

And I say that as someone with a rescue dog sitting about two feet from me. I always have, and always will have, a dog I rescued from a shelter or the street.

People like that consider everyone and everything else as props, in the play that is their life. Not actors, because actors are people.

Props. Just props. Because the world is a vast playground for their amusement.

SteyrAUG, I'd pour you a glass of single malt, but my arms don't reach that far.

Moose-Knuckle
01-02-13, 17:30
Steyr, your neighbors are wood chipper material.