PDA

View Full Version : Fixed front sight vs clamp on/flip up sight

chairforce26
08-19-12, 03:14
I've got a flip up front sight from YHM on a clamped on gas block. I've been wondering if it is worth it to pay 150 bucks to get a standard A2 front sight base taper pinned on.

Col_Crocs
08-19-12, 06:09
Do You have a rifle with a YHM flip sight/clamp on gas block or are you building and choosing between the 2 parts/options?
A taper pinned FSB is by far THE most solid gas block you could get. Personally, clamp ons are at the bottom of my list when it comes to gas blocks. That, plus the fact that YHM isnt generally known for quality.

polymorpheous
08-19-12, 06:13
1st hand experience with the YHM gas block.
The hinge pin walked itself out on two separate occasions.

Personally I will only do pinned gas blocks.

Iraqgunz
08-19-12, 07:49
You do not want one of those clamp on POS's. Get an FSB and have it properly installed or get a good low pro gas block.

jonconsiglio
08-19-12, 07:55
The only reason I'm posting what has already been said is to stress how bad of an idea the clamp on gas blocks are. Stick to a quality front sight block or low pro.

It's worth the extra money.

opdsgt
08-19-12, 08:12
I've run a rifle that wore a clamp style VLTOR lo-pro gas block and it never budged, even during hard use.

http://www.vltor.com/lpgb.htm

These are superior to any set-screw attached gas block IMO.

Having said that, for a working gun (e.g. patrol rifle or something with more defensive use intent than sporting purposes), a pinned A2 style front sight base and steel, non-folding rear BUS with a 1/3rd co-witness is my preference.

chairforce26
08-19-12, 12:30
1st hand experience with the YHM gas block.
The hinge pin walked itself out on two separate occasions.

Personally I will only do pinned gas blocks.

This is exactly what has happens to me just about every time I go shooting. I have to hammer it back in with a magazine. Luckily the gas block hasn't moved.

Yes the rifle is already assembled, I wish I just had gotten a barrel with an already pinned front sight but I ended up getting a stripped Daniel Defense barrel for $170. I thought it was a good deal but now I find myself wishing I'd done things differently.

donwalk
08-19-12, 15:16
pinned, A2 FSB and fixed, carry handle A2...you'd have to go out of your way to destroy the integrity of them.

and as said above they will co-witness most optics.