PDA

View Full Version : The use of Rock River NM slightly "oversized" pins

Mott
08-19-12, 11:50
Good day,

OK so I searched the forums and found one "related" thread

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=28640&highlight=Oversized+pins

I did however want to get more specific and ask your thoughts. I purchased a Rock River National Match small pin trigger group to drop in one of my ARs. The group comes with "slightly oversized" pins. These pins are .156" compared to the .154" of the small pin lower dimentions. When i mic the pins they actually come in at .155" they just fit (start) in the holes but will not g in with finger pressure. A call to RR confirmed they recommend (require) the use of these oversized pins for "function" of the trigger group. Being the perfectionist I am I have an issue with forcing a large pin in a small hole. I was told by RR the lowers are "elastic" and the holes in the lower will not enlarge with the use of the 1.56" pins.
I currently have the stock pins in the receiver and the trigger performs all the safety tests and passes. I have not fired live rounds through the rifle yet. I just wanted to gather your thoughts on the matter for information. In other posts members have reported using the standard pins to success with RR triggers. As a point of reference I have a Colt large pin lower that has been running a White Oak Armament modified RR NM trigger with the Colt standard size large pins for years with no issues. However, I honestly do not know if RR made slightly oversized pins for the large pin variant of their trigger group. Thank you folks!

Sincerely,
Mott

polymorpheous
08-19-12, 12:25
This thread won't go over well here.

OP, the person you spoke with at RRA is wrong.
The trigger group you bought has a legacy of issues popping up after 1-2,000 rounds.
Get rid of it and get a Geissele SSA.

mpom
08-19-12, 15:09
Regardless of the fire control group you choose to run, i recommend the geiselle (sp?) pins, which can be purchased separately. They are slightly oversized, but do NOT require force.
Main problem with your parts is the thin case hardening. Not a problem in a range gun, potentially disasterous in a self defense situation.

Mark

Shabazz
08-19-12, 16:06
Get rid of it and get a Geissele SSA.

That is the solution.

Joe Mamma
08-20-12, 12:59
If this is just a range/fun gun, I say move forward with it. I would use the RRA NM pins and other NM trigger parts. That being said, the lower receiver is not "elastic." But the increase in hole size is not that much. A heavily used AR (or something that has been disassembled a lot of times) may actually have holes that are larger. I would just use this lower as the dedicated lower for these pins and trigger group. You could probably use the lower for standard pins and trigger groups down the road. But it won't be ideal because of the slight hole size increase.

Personally, I would not use standard pins with the RRA NM trigger parts.

Lowers are cheap so this is an excuse to get another one.

I have used a RRA NM trigger and I was happy with it. It worked fine. But I don't trust it for serious use.

Joe Mamma