PDA

View Full Version : M&P9c question

Aranjuez
08-19-12, 19:56
This is directed towards Grant & other knowledgeable forum members.

I just bought a S&W 9mm compact. I am not an experienced shooter - this is not my first pistol, but it is my only pistol.

I need a weapon for defense & do not want to ship this pistol out for custom work.

My question: do the M&P 9 compacts exhibit the same accuracy issues as the full size models? The reports are very conflicting.

I shot 115 rounds today with pretty much 0 ability to hold a group from 7 to 10 yards. I have little experience behind a trigger and my shooting fundamentals are lacking - I do not expect to be an accurate shooter, but I do want a gun that is capable of the sort of accuracy expectations you might have for a pistol in this class.

I will rent a 3rd gen glock 26 next time I go to the range to compare my shooting between the two guns. I just want to know if the widespread accuracy issues are reported in all S&W 9mms, or if the compacts are known to have no issues.

I will be a very happy man to know that the surprising inaccuracy is on my end, and that I can expect to shoot good groups (considering the class of firearm) with improvements to my shooting fundamentals. I will be a less-than-happy man if you tell me to go trade this pistol in for a Glock or Springfield - but willing. :)

Thanks.

edit: This is a brand new 9mm compact with an 03/06/12 date on the fired casing package.

mkmckinley
08-19-12, 20:08
My M&P9c is a little tackdriver, especially when I shoot with the Apex DCAEK installed. Get a nice set of night sights, a good holster and belt and you're GTG.

I like the Ameriglo Pro Glo night sights and the Bladetech Nano holster.

RCI1911
08-19-12, 20:38
Mine is quite accurate as well even out further then you were shooting. I've got an Ameriglo Pro Glo front sight and a 10-8 Performance rear sight. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. Also, get a trigger job or Apex DCAEK kit like mkmckinley mentioned and practice, practice practice. Your groups will come together.

C4IGrant
08-19-12, 20:43

I just bought a S&W 9mm compact. I am not an experienced shooter - this is not my first pistol, but it is my only pistol.

I need a weapon for defense & do not want to ship this pistol out for custom work.

My question: do the M&P 9 compacts exhibit the same accuracy issues as the full size models? The reports are very conflicting.

I shot 115 rounds today with pretty much 0 ability to hold a group from 7 to 10 yards. I have little experience behind a trigger and my shooting fundamentals are lacking - I do not expect to be an accurate shooter, but I do want a gun that is capable of the sort of accuracy expectations you might have for a pistol in this class.

I will rent a 3rd gen glock 26 next time I go to the range to compare my shooting between the two guns. I just want to know if the widespread accuracy issues are reported in all S&W 9mms, or if the compacts are known to have no issues.

I will be a very happy man to know that the surprising inaccuracy is on my end, and that I can expect to shoot good groups (considering the class of firearm) with improvements to my shooting fundamentals. I will be a less-than-happy man if you tell me to go trade this pistol in for a Glock or Springfield - but willing. :)

Thanks.

edit: This is a brand new 9mm compact with an 03/06/12 date on the fired casing package.

The 9mm M&P compacts tend to be more accurate.

I don't know that I would take a 3" gun to a pistol school (unless it was specifically a CCW class where they expected everyone to have small guns).

C4

Aranjuez
08-19-12, 22:08
The consensus seems to be that my terrible shooting is likely due to being a terrible shooter. Thank you.

Leonidas24
08-20-12, 02:13
The consensus seems to be that my terrible shooting is likely due to being a terrible shooter. Thank you.

To an extent but don't beat yourself up too bad. I picked up an M&P9C last March and I will readily admit that I was horrible with it at first. First I attributed it to A) new gun, B) trigger, C) short sight radius. After a few hundred rounds I warmed up to the gun and started shooting decent groups at 10 yards but decided to go ahead and get the FSS. I don't suggest taking it to that extreme but an after market trigger upgrade such as the DCAEK from Apex can make a difference. I've since shot a 4 inch group at 50 yards while leaning against one of the overhang posts at a local range. Something you can expect? Not likely and I still attribute it to an act of God, pure luck, and probably both in all likelihood.

The one thing I noticed myself was that with the M&P trigger design and the curved trigger safety I naturally wanted to over-extend my finger around the trigger and it took a conscious effort to keep from doing so.

Advisory: If this gun is going to be a CCW firearm I do not suggest the FSS. I bought one for this gun with the intent of dropping it in a M&P9FS later when I got one but that day has yet to come and I've come to like the FSS in my little compact.

Rattlehead
08-20-12, 03:01
This is not always the case with most recent production M&P's, they simply aren't that accurate out of the box even in the hands of an experienced/accurate shooter.

ETA:

It's worth noting that my 2012 M&P9C has proven to be more accurate than my 2011 and 2010 M&P9's (4.25"), and then an M&P40 (4.25") being the most accurate out of the four.

Hogsgunwild
08-20-12, 06:41

Thanks.

Really, I wouldn't beat yourself up over your shooting. It takes time to get proficient with a new weapon. I have five M&Ps, including the 9 compact. Most of them have modified triggers. I have been carrying and practicing with Walthers lately. Just for the heck of it I brought my most accurate M&P (a .45 midsize) to the range with me the other day. Although I was shooting my Walthers very well, I could not believe how badly I was shooting (what I think is an easy to shoot accurately gun) the M&P. It took a long time to get my mojo back on that gun and it is a good deal easier to be accurate with that .45 than my 9 compact.

A larger gun might be easier for you to train with but you really need to put a lot of time in on that gun if you are going to stick with it. Honestly you would remove your frustration quickly if you could get some professional training in a course or at least a good instructor at the range prior to putting the time in on the gun and possibly building bad habits on your own.

For what it is worth; my 9 compact has the Apex FSS and trigger kit and I have found it capable of less than four inch groups at 25 yards, unsupported, with the right ammo. It took me a lot of time on that gun for me to attain this. I could not do that if I took it to the range today and would probably expect to be all over the paper at 25 yards. That is how quickly shooting skills diminish, even from one platform to another in some cases. You have to get the training and then you have to keep the proficiency up by consistently practicing.

Aranjuez
08-21-12, 01:05
Thanks to all for the encouragement. I'm going to keep trucking along with the compact & will definitely spend cash and time on quality training.

chadil1ac
08-21-12, 10:14
Thanks to all for the encouragement. I'm going to keep trucking along with the compact & will definitely spend cash and time on quality training.

You mentioned renting a 26 to see how you would like it. I think a 19 would be more comparable in size.

Hogsgunwild
08-21-12, 10:47
Sounds like you are doing it right, good for you!

It occurred to me that you might (or might not) benefit from a product that slips onto a 17 round M&P 9MM magazine to provide a better gripping surface when used with the compact gun. It is called the "X-Grip". I have fired hundreds of rounds through my M&P compact 9MM using the 17 round mags without a X-Grip and I have never once had any type of failures to feed. I ordered one of these adapters for each of my 9MM and .45ACP compacts. They should arrive this week. I am very interested to see what this $13.00 item might do to enhance the shoot-ability of my 9MM compact.

While I believe that you picked an excellent, reliable handgun to train with, it is not going to be the easiest one to use for a newer shooter.
In general, it is easier to shoot a handgun that has a grip that fits your hand fully and also has a decent sight radius. You have a doable weapon but it may handicap you a bit. Don't be discouraged if the guy in the stall next to you at the range is shooting fist sized groups at 25 yards and you cannot do it at ten yards. That is how you will be shooting after some good training (could take several classes) and some steady, diligent practice. I've watched guys at the range get so frustrated that they look like they are going to blow a gasket. One guy recently had his buddy coaching him for well over an hour and giving him bad advice the whole time. Poor kid shot worse and worse and was totally frustrated at the end of his session.

I only wish that the internet was around when I was a new shooter because the information and training that is available really helps to make a motivated new shooter reach his goals and to avoid much of the frustration if he knows where to look. This forum was a great start for you. Good luck!

mdrums
08-22-12, 00:12
M&P 9c owner since January 2012....lost count of rounds but no issues and it is accurate when I am accurate. My wife also shoots the 9C very well.

KalashniKEV
08-22-12, 09:58
You mentioned renting a 26 to see how you would like it. I think a 19 would be more comparable in size.

It's actually right in between, but because it's larger than a 26, I classify it at being closer to a 19.

My M&P9c (I believe) did exhibit the "accuracy issue," or at least I concentrated, focused on fundamentals, took my time, and produced loose groups no matter how hard I tried, even at the 5 & 7m line.

I put it head to head with my G23 conv. and there was no contest... so I suppose I got a bad one... or at least that's what I prefer to think.

YMMV.

RogerinTPA
08-22-12, 10:56
My M&P9c is a little tackdriver, especially when I shoot with the Apex DCAEK installed. Get a nice set of night sights, a good holster and belt and you're GTG.

I like the Ameriglo Pro Glo night sights and the Bladetech Nano holster.

Agreed.

OP: I have the Apex hard sear, ultimate striker block, crimson trace laser grips on my new 9c and serves as my CCW. My older 9c, after putting 15k + rounds on it, it's now one of my training gun. Both are tack drivers. As always, whether experienced or a novice, training is paramount.

Magsz
08-22-12, 11:46
Have a known, good, or great pistol shooter shoot your pistol.

Seeing them group with the gun will give you something to strive for. It removes the doubt in your mind that the hardware is to blame.

Nine times out of ten it will always be the software that is lacking.